Community Manager?

Replies

• Lio wrote: »
    AverageTed wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Crumb’s job as Community Manager is whatever CG tells him is job is as Community Manager. If he wasn’t following orders from his leadership I’d imagine we’d have a new Community Manager.

There are many layers to what and who restrict his ability to communicate.

These layers are all put in place by EA and/or CG.

If their company policies prevent their community manager from communicating regularly with the community, they might want to take a look at those.

I don't think the challenges are company policies. I imagine they're more related to the number of companies involved (Disney, LucasArts, EA, CG) and divisions built into those. It's arguably the most popular IP right now for a mobile game so I'm sure there is a ton of oversight.

I'm not interested in getting into semantics of whether they are policies, rules, directives, guidelines or whatever.

A community manager doesn't have to be divulging proprietary information. They can just pop by and shoot the breeze with the community. Let them know what's happening in a very broad sense. Humanize themselves and their colleagues.

If CG, EA, Disney or whoever are preventing them from doing something as simple as that they need to take a serious look at things because their are plenty of companies out there who manage to negotiate this apparent minefield quite easily.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Lio wrote: »
    Crumb’s job as Community Manager is whatever CG tells him is job is as Community Manager. If he wasn’t following orders from his leadership I’d imagine we’d have a new Community Manager.

If their company policies prevent their community manager from communicating regularly with the community, they might want to take a look at those.

I don't think the challenges are company policies. I imagine they're more related to the number of companies involved (Disney, LucasArts, EA, CG) and divisions built into those. It's arguably the most popular IP right now for a mobile game so I'm sure there is a ton of oversight.

I'm not interested in getting into semantics of whether they are policies, rules, directives, guidelines or whatever.

A community manager doesn't have to be divulging proprietary information. They can just pop by and shoot the breeze with the community. Let them know what's happening in a very broad sense. Humanize themselves and their colleagues.

If CG, EA, Disney or whoever are preventing them from doing something as simple as that they need to take a serious look at things because their are plenty of companies out there who manage to negotiate this apparent minefield quite easily.

I wasn't trying to let Crumb off the hook or anything like that. Simply highlighting that it's likely not as easy as we think it is on the outside.

Also, remember when Carrie would engage with people on Twitter and it would hit the fan? I imagine the suits are trying to avoid more debacles like that. Though they may have overcorrected too much. Hopefully they calibrate the communication rhythm and it becomes more consistent (while still appeasing to the different companies involved).
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    A bit off-topic but:
    What was the outcome of the "TB rotation" subject now? Did we ever get an answer on this? Can't remember except that Kyno closed the thread eventually..
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg

I wasn't trying to let Crumb off the hook or anything like that. Simply highlighting that it's likely not as easy as we think it is on the outside.

Also, remember when Carrie would engage with people on Twitter and it would hit the fan? I imagine the suits are trying to avoid more debacles like that. Though they may have overcorrected too much. Hopefully they calibrate the communication rhythm and it becomes more consistent (while still appeasing to the different companies involved).

I sought out CG_Carrie on Twitter myself. Whatever avenue I thought would create conversation.

Chained since '16
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member

I sought out CG_Carrie on Twitter myself. Whatever avenue I thought would create conversation.

Right, but imagine being Carrie's boss (or that person's boss, and so forth). Would you have been happy that the primary person in charge of SWGOH was publicly admitting that whales were the priority (or whatever it was she said)? I wouldn't be surprised if they've implemented new norms. Like I said - hopefully they calibrate it and start communicating a little more
  • Kyno wrote: »

So at what point do you cross over from "volunteer moderator" to someone who can vaguely comment on inner workings of CG communication department, including licensing terms and issues they may or may not have with Disney and Lucasarts. (Something that Battlefront devs didn't seem to suffer from, given the largely uniform praise they get as being engaged and proactive devs since the loot box fiasco)

Playerbase has issues with CG. You sometimes interject with vague reference to "there are things you don't know about behind the scenes". Well, then CG can either fix it, make the information public, or suffer the consequences of silence. Using a "volunteer moderator" to act as a company's mouthpiece in the forum is called plausible deniability.

If the communication is not sanctioned by CG, when you come with one of these "you don't know everything", share the details so that the community can evaluate the logic and reasoning. If you are not able to share anything more than vague hearsay generalities, it is of no value other than hoping that the crumbs give just enough cover for CG with some of the playerbase.

Right, but imagine being Carrie's boss (or that person's boss, and so forth). Would you have been happy that the primary person in charge of SWGOH was publicly admitting that whales were the priority (or whatever it was she said)? I wouldn't be surprised if they've implemented new norms. Like I said - hopefully they calibrate it and start communicating a little more

My seeking her out had nothing to do with the "tip of the spear" comment. It was during another 52 page, 1500 post dumpster fire on the forum they were hiding from.

Chained since '16
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

I don’t see much value in this. Crumb’s predecessor used to pop into threads with silly memes all the time and I thought it was completely pointless. If there isn’t substantive information being provided having an active-but-useless CM would be worse to me than the current situation.
  • zgzss1cvykfk.jpeg
    Here’s your community manager. They can update items here but won’t respond. Unreal!

Carrie found herself fulfilling the role of a Community Manager because nobody at CG is doing the job effectively. It's not surprising she said something ill advised because communicating with consumers in a public forum is not what we or CG should expect her to be skilled at.

They've had five years to agree some set rules on what a community manager can('t) say that would allow them to engage with us regularly without needing to have every post scrutinised by multiple levels of bureaucracy. The reason they don't communicate well with us is because they don't see value in it.
  • ZAP wrote: »
    Imagine crumb’s next job interview...

Interviewer: So, I see your last position was Community Manager at Capital Games for a game called Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. I love Star Wars, I bet they had quite the engaged and exciting community. Tell me a little about your experience interacting with that community.

Crumb: Yeah, about all that...

Hope they check player references! 😂
  • I understand that there must be several layers of bureaucracy. But if said bureaucracy is damaging the communities opinion of all parties involved from CG to Disney then surely finding a work-around should be a priority?
  • Yotommy
    94 posts Member
    How can anyone defend CG or EAs actions with regards to this game. I’ve always like the term “abusive relationship” when it comes to this game.
  • Eutus
    232 posts Member
    My two cents.

I keep hearing "Wheres your hype you used to be so enthusiastic." To which my response is theres nothing in the pipe. I dont mean this in an existentially nihilistic way, but what is there to be excited about? The future seems pretty bleak. Movie theaters are on the way out, people are jobless, society is breaking apart, and we dont even have a good video game coming out (if your into last of us i think thats the one exception, but i never got an optimistic vibe from the series.)

There was all this hoopla about corona virus and stay n play and virtual soliderity and oceans of content. Then nothing. Cg step it up. Someones gonna show up with the distracting bug zapper everyone needs and then all those whale flys will be gone cause theres a new shinier lite. Could be you Cg, but well incompetance or lazy, i dont except the corporate red tape excuses. Its Star Wars, should be ez to make mountains of money, but all they seem to be able to do is fleece people and upset them from disney on down.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    Monel wrote: »

Not true, some of the layers come directly from Star Wars and Disney.

Still doesn't change the fact that if their Community Manager can't fulfil the basic function of that role - communicating regularly with the community - then either the policies need to change or the position itself is essentially redundant.

I dont disagree that policies need to change, however, your definition of his job is obviously not the same definition his supervisors give him.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    MD0546 wrote: »
    I understand that there must be several layers of bureaucracy. But if said bureaucracy is damaging the communities opinion of all parties involved from CG to Disney then surely finding a work-around should be a priority?

I could not agree more. This sentiment is something many of us express and are hoping to get changes made. It is just a difficult path to navigate.

Like it or not what Kozi did, no matter how effective on the "real front", she gave feeling of engagement. Crumb has done the same but it changed/stopped and we all hope we can get back to that somehow.
  • Anybody remember this crock from @CG_SBCrumb introduction in May of 2018? I do.

What Can CG_Crumb Do For Me?

"I will have a variety of responsibilities as Community Manager but a core part of my day to day will be improving our communication with you. I want to let you behind the curtain as much as I can and bring you in on why we make decisions such as why we balance this character like this, etc. Basically, be the conduit from the developer’s mouth to your ears...but conversations go both ways. We also need to listen to you to make this work. That would not be easy even if everyone in the community agreed on a direction! Players can engage with our game differently and therefore have many different needs. We need to understand and support all of these folks. In short, we have some listening to do, and we need to continue to build the conversation between all of us.
    I expect a good part of my job will be handing requests from both sides trying to communicate and get more information about the other. Expect more on this topic later.
    This is not something that only I am passionate about improving but I have been told repeatedly, this is an important priority for us. To be clear, this won’t happen overnight and we won’t get everything right the first time but we will unrelentingly drive towards making it better. That’s my promise to you."

Some promise, eh? Is 2 years enough of an "overnight" to start being "unrelenting" about communication?
    Chained since '16
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    MD0546 wrote: »
    I understand that there must be several layers of bureaucracy. But if said bureaucracy is damaging the communities opinion of all parties involved from CG to Disney then surely finding a work-around should be a priority?

I could not agree more. This sentiment is something many of us express and are hoping to get changes made. It is just a difficult path to navigate.

Like it or not what Kozi did, no matter how effective on the "real front", she gave feeling of engagement. Crumb has done the same but it changed/stopped and we all hope we can get back to that somehow.

She didn’t give me a feeling of engagement. She gave me a feeling of annoyance on a regular basis.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Anybody remember this crock from @CG_SBCrumb introduction in May of 2018? I do.

"I will have a variety of responsibilities as Community Manager but a core part of my day to day will be improving our communication with you. I want to let you behind the curtain as much as I can and bring you in on why we make decisions such as why we balance this character like this, etc. Basically, be the conduit from the developer’s mouth to your ears...but conversations go both ways. We also need to listen to you to make this work. That would not be easy even if everyone in the community agreed on a direction! Players can engage with our game differently and therefore have many different needs. We need to understand and support all of these folks. In short, we have some listening to do, and we need to continue to build the conversation between all of us.
    I expect a good part of my job will be handing requests from both sides trying to communicate and get more information about the other. Expect more on this topic later.
    This is not something that only I am passionate about improving but I have been told repeatedly, this is an important priority for us. To be clear, this won’t happen overnight and we won’t get everything right the first time but we will unrelentingly drive towards making it better. That’s my promise to you."

Some promise, eh? Is 2 years enough of an "overnight" to start being "unrelenting" about communication?

Maybe that refers to the whale/kraken discord? Dunno...
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Sorry o.O
    Post edited by Rebmes on
  • CookieWookie
    87 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Edit wrong topic woops
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    The only community manager we have around these forums is Kyno, and hes a volunteer mod. Crumb has the title, but doesnt do the job....change my mind.

I have no choice but to agree with a fellow AO iyaoyas
  • That's Mr. Oops to you!
  • Legend91 wrote: »
    Anybody remember this crock from @CG_SBCrumb introduction in May of 2018? I do.

Maybe that refers to the whale/kraken discord? Dunno...

We shouldn't have to figure out what the community manager may be referring to
  • Oktoberknight07
    156 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Also, I don't think it's @CG_SBCrumb's turn on the laptop. Give him a few to get a turn and he will respond.

rqriy9rh9cwn.jpg
    That's Mr. Oops to you!
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Also, I don't think it's @CG_SBCrumb's turn on the laptop. Give him a few to get a turn and he will respond.

rqriy9rh9cwn.jpg

I know it's an old joke, but I love that their website still shows that

rqriy9rh9cwn.jpg

I know it's an old joke, but I love that their website still shows that

I had a good chuckle when I saw that. As much grief as we give them (and rightly so at times) I am glad to see some sort of personality there.
    That's Mr. Oops to you!
  • It wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true in some sense...
    Chained since '16