George Lucas hates the new trilogy?

Prev13
http://epicstream.com/news/JudithAnneDelaCruz/George-Lucas-and-Jon-Favreau-Reportedly-Hated-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi
Could it be click bait? Could it be true? If it is true what do you think about it

Replies

  • @ZAP bro you should watch this video
    He nails it
  • LordDirt
    1661 posts Member
    Lucas got tired of all the Star Wars hate and sold the rights to it. Why does his opinion even matter now?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Lucas got tired of all the Star Wars hate and sold the rights to it. Why does his opinion even matter now?

    Here we go, first of all star wars exist because of him so his opinion is final in anything related to star wars.
    Lucas got tired of people hating his creation so he stopped making more of it because people didn't deserve it.

    He sold his rights Disney and Kathleen Kennedy so they would keep starwars alive for the next generation and honor his creation, instead Kathleen Kennedy backstabbed him so hard that I bet you he regrets the day he met her.

    And bob Iger and Chapek are still working with George Lucas so his opinion does matter
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    The Star Wars community will not be “redeemed”. The “fans” seem to think that a group of the same people should run Star Wars forever; that will last maybe ten years. Then the same group gets stuck with the same ideas. The makers seem to think that running the few great characters they have over and over will grow Star Wars, when it just gives them a money boost for a year or two. And people also seem to think that George Lucas is some God who instantly makes great content, which is very flawed. And the community was doomed from the get go. They fell too in love with the originals; George Lucas can’t write dialogue, and he ruined the prequels, so the community suddenly blows up into this toxic “I need my good ol Luke” hyper fan base. George Lucas sells to Disney, I blame that on him, and people are mad. Disney creates a bad trilogy, the community decides that somehow George, the notorious prequel maker, will save them. Or that somehow giving full control to Dave Faloni, who made two kids shows and the disconnected episodes of the Mandalorian, will “fix” Star Wars. They blame George, then KK, then Rian, then JJ, and then who knows?

    Star Wars is beyond being fixed. The OT suffers from overhype, which ruins everything after, but ultimately creates sequels and prequels. The prequels suffer from having only one man at the helm. The sequels suffer from too many people running the show. I personally think that the only way for anyone to save Star Wars is to sort through the ideas of the fans, and then put together what fits.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    Also, if you sell your baby to big bad ogre, why do you deserve any say in the baby’s future? That one’s on you.
  • LordDirt
    1661 posts Member
    But like we said, fans didnt like what he did with the PT so why do you care that he is back?
  • Yeah clone wars and mandalorian are great, I will say that rouge one was pretty amazing too, I mean George himself did go to the sets of rouge one and did advise them after all.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    But like we said, fans didnt like what he did with the PT so why do you care that he is back?

    He consulted and had influence on TCW and the Mandalorian and I enjoyed both of those.

    He’s not running the show, like the PT, decades ago, just consulting. Favreau and Filoni are simply picking his brain in regards to a universe that he created and imagined.

    They aren’t asking him to write dialogue. They aren’t using the technology he had available for the PT, the technology has greatly advanced. It is cool they are using some old stuff, such as puppets and animatronics, but even that is more advanced than it was.

    He’s just a part, and that’s great. He’s done with running the show himself, and I’m done with it too.
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    Yeah clone wars and mandalorian are great, I will say that rouge one was pretty amazing too, I mean George himself did go to the sets of rouge one and did advise them after all.

    The Mandalorian was good, but overhyped. CW and R1 were pretty fantastic though
  • Nihion
    3002 posts Member
    ZAP wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Yeah clone wars and mandalorian are great, I will say that rouge one was pretty amazing too, I mean George himself did go to the sets of rouge one and did advise them after all.

    The Mandalorian was good, but overhyped. CW and R1 were pretty fantastic though

    1st seasons are usually never the best season in a series.

    True. The problem I see for the future of the Mandalorian is these CW character and Rebels character reveals. I’m worried they’re going to overuse the good characters at the price of character development and plot. But I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
  • LordDirt
    1661 posts Member
    Mandalorian was ok. It filled a void people had Longed for since the OT trilogy. It had a lot of nostalgia and people felt at home with it but it lacked direction for most of it. I hope the next season is even better but I fear they just might fill it with a lot of characters that have been in Star Wars before just to do so. I could see them using Boba Fett, Rey, Kylo Ren, Luke, Ahsoka, and on and on at some point.
  • CCyrilS
    4902 posts Member
    edited June 20
    Can we all just agree everything bad is Kennedys fault? And Rian Johnson is no better.

    #lockherup
  • I will say that rouge one was pretty amazing too, I mean George himself did go to the sets of rouge one and did advise them after all.
    tinimdfd9ykf.png

    Officer in Ewoks Fit In Blenders. Traya, Wat & Negotiator on farm. PM to join us.
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    Can we all just agree everything bad is Kennedys fault? And Rian Johnson is no better.

    #lockherup
    Add J.J. Abrams to the list because he started the sequels with a lame rip-off story and badly written characters. Blame other things on Johnson but he couldn't ruin what was already boring from the beginning. B)
    The problem with people in charge like Kennedy, they don't care about really good authors. Abrams is good with effects and creating certain kinds of atmosphere - same goes for Johnson - but none of them are amazing authors. They should have worked with someone who is able to tell a brillant story. And that's something guys like Filoni do understand, and know who to get in the boat for their projects.
  • If course he does Lucas is a Sith
  • CCyrilS
    4902 posts Member
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »
    Can we all just agree everything bad is Kennedys fault? And Rian Johnson is no better.

    #lockherup
    Add J.J. Abrams to the list because he started the sequels with a lame rip-off story and badly written characters. Blame other things on Johnson but he couldn't ruin what was already boring from the beginning. B)
    The problem with people in charge like Kennedy, they don't care about really good authors. Abrams is good with effects and creating certain kinds of atmosphere - same goes for Johnson - but none of them are amazing authors. They should have worked with someone who is able to tell a brillant story. And that's something guys like Filoni do understand, and know who to get in the boat for their projects.

    I don't completely agree about j.j. because at least he would have created a cohesive story, and ep9 could have been much better if not needing to resolve ep8. That being said, anything beyond that is just opinion and pointless to debate, but I get what you're saying.

    I agree completely with the rest. I'm excited to see anything coming in the future that Filoni touches. Same with Favreau.

    In the end, I'm just glad it looks like there may be a bright future for Star Wars!
  • CCyrilS
    4902 posts Member
    Actually, j.j. DID create a cohesive story, Johnson just dropped it.
  • Stenun
    677 posts Member
    Here we go, first of all star wars exist because of him so his opinion is final in anything related to star wars

    Erm, no, that's not how it works. For one thing, "opinion" is not "fact". So someone's opinion that something is good or not does not mean it is good, it just means that their opinion of it is positive. Other people may have, and indeed are entitled to, a completely different opinion.
    For example, George Lucas was dead set against the "I love you"/"I know" exchange in ESB. They ended up having test screenings of the film just to gauge how that exchange would go across. George's opinion was that it was not good.
    Not to mention the whole tinkering with Who Shot First?
    George's opinion is not fact.

    As for the rest of this thread, Star Wars does not need to be "redeemed", it does not need a saviour to swoop in and set everything to rights.
    As with any shared Universe, it is going to have its ups and downs. There are going to be good Star Wars stories made and there are going to be bad Star Wars stories made. And people's opinions about which are the good ones and which are the bad ones will differ. And that's OK. Not everyone likes the same things even within the same fandom.
    Ask fans of Doctor Who who is the best Doctor, you'll start discussions but you won't get a clear answer. Ask fans of DC Comics who is the best Robin, you'll start discussions but you won't get a clear answer. Ask fans of Star Trek which is the best series, you'll start discussions but you won't get a clear answer. And, like it or not, that's the way Star Wars is heading - if indeed it's not already there.
    And that's OK.
    We don't need to have agreement about what is the best Star Wars or which is the worst or whether Solo needed to ever be made in the first place or whether Jar Jar Binks really is that bad or if Boba Fett should have been written to have survived the Sarlacc just because some fans really REALLY liked him, etc. We can all have our own opinions and like the stuff we like.

    Personally, I think the characterisation of Luke Skywalker in TLJ was good and it worked for me. Other people have the opinion that he should have been the god-like being we saw in the Yuuzhan Vong story line. Both opinions are valid because they are just that, opinions. Not facts.
  • CCyrilS
    4902 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »
    Here we go, first of all star wars exist because of him so his opinion is final in anything related to star wars

    Erm, no, that's not how it works. For one thing, "opinion" is not "fact". So someone's opinion that something is good or not does not mean it is good, it just means that their opinion of it is positive. Other people may have, and indeed are entitled to, a completely different opinion.
    For example, George Lucas was dead set against the "I love you"/"I know" exchange in ESB. They ended up having test screenings of the film just to gauge how that exchange would go across. George's opinion was that it was not good.
    Not to mention the whole tinkering with Who Shot First?
    George's opinion is not fact.

    As for the rest of this thread, Star Wars does not need to be "redeemed", it does not need a saviour to swoop in and set everything to rights.
    As with any shared Universe, it is going to have its ups and downs. There are going to be good Star Wars stories made and there are going to be bad Star Wars stories made. And people's opinions about which are the good ones and which are the bad ones will differ. And that's OK. Not everyone likes the same things even within the same fandom.
    Ask fans of Doctor Who who is the best Doctor, you'll start discussions but you won't get a clear answer. Ask fans of DC Comics who is the best Robin, you'll start discussions but you won't get a clear answer. Ask fans of Star Trek which is the best series, you'll start discussions but you won't get a clear answer. And, like it or not, that's the way Star Wars is heading - if indeed it's not already there.
    And that's OK.
    We don't need to have agreement about what is the best Star Wars or which is the worst or whether Solo needed to ever be made in the first place or whether Jar Jar Binks really is that bad or if Boba Fett should have been written to have survived the Sarlacc just because some fans really REALLY liked him, etc. We can all have our own opinions and like the stuff we like.

    Personally, I think the characterisation of Luke Skywalker in TLJ was good and it worked for me. Other people have the opinion that he should have been the god-like being we saw in the Yuuzhan Vong story line. Both opinions are valid because they are just that, opinions. Not facts.

    After the test screening, did George approve of the I love you exchange?

    Yes, so that shows he's willing and able to learn and adapt and get better over time. Nobody is perfect at their job, but the ability to admit you're wrong and make things right shows a lot about a person.

  • Stenun
    677 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

    After the test screening, did George approve of the I love you exchange?

    Yes, so that shows he's willing and able to learn and adapt and get better over time. Nobody is perfect at their job, but the ability to admit you're wrong and make things right shows a lot about a person.

    OK. And?
    I fail to see how that has any relevance to what I was saying regarding "opinion" v "fact".
  • CCyrilS
    4902 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »

    After the test screening, did George approve of the I love you exchange?

    Yes, so that shows he's willing and able to learn and adapt and get better over time. Nobody is perfect at their job, but the ability to admit you're wrong and make things right shows a lot about a person.

    OK. And?
    I fail to see how that has any relevance to what I was saying regarding "opinion" v "fact".

    You're using 1 anecdote to show that George's opinion shouldn't matter.

    I showed why I think it should.
  • Stenun
    677 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

    You're using 1 anecdote to show that George's opinion shouldn't matter.

    I showed why I think it should.

    No, I'm really not.
    For starters, I also mentioned Who Shot First? George's opinion is that Greedo shot first. So there we go, that's 2 anecdotes; not one.

    And secondly, I'm not saying his opinion doesn't matter. I was replying to a comment that his "opinion is final". Which is a completely different argument from whether his opinion matters or not. It can still matter without being "final".

    And even though his opinion does matter, which it does, it doesn't mean no one else's matters. It doesn't mean that you're not allowed to like different things from him. It doesn't mean you have to have the same favourite character; if his opinion is that Character A is the best, other people are allowed to prefer Character B. Yet more people are even allowed to prefer Character C.
    George - or indeed anyone else - having an opinion that Character A is best does not make that a fact. It does not make it "final".

  • CCyrilS
    4902 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »
    CCyrilS wrote: »

    You're using 1 anecdote to show that George's opinion shouldn't matter.

    I showed why I think it should.

    No, I'm really not.
    For starters, I also mentioned Who Shot First? George's opinion is that Greedo shot first. So there we go, that's 2 anecdotes; not one.

    And secondly, I'm not saying his opinion doesn't matter. I was replying to a comment that his "opinion is final". Which is a completely different argument from whether his opinion matters or not. It can still matter without being "final".

    And even though his opinion does matter, which it does, it doesn't mean no one else's matters. It doesn't mean that you're not allowed to like different things from him. It doesn't mean you have to have the same favourite character; if his opinion is that Character A is the best, other people are allowed to prefer Character B. Yet more people are even allowed to prefer Character C.
    George - or indeed anyone else - having an opinion that Character A is best does not make that a fact. It does not make it "final".

    Ok... his initial opinions may not always be right. But, with research and constructive criticism, he usually makes the right choice. Can we agree on that?

    And what else can we expect from a person?
Sign In or Register to comment.