Enough with needing GK in every single light side team!

We seriously need some reworks on the light side tanks, we cannot have GK be in JKR, Padme, with KAM under his own leadership, JKL, and with GL Rey teams. We only have 1 of him.

JKR team needs a dedicated Tank, they have an Old Republic Jedi Tank, but Juhani sucks, she needs a rework, tanks shouldn't stealth.
If Amilyn Holdo and Finn aren't the best Tanks for Rey then they need to be tuned up to be, give them something that makes their taunt more "sticky" the way GK's taunt is hard to get rid of that makes him so good.
Old Ben should be the ideal tank for Jedi Luke

Let's leave GK with Padme and using his own leadership with GR Jedi hows about?

Replies

• Kelarn
    161 posts Member
    +1
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    I disagree about Juhani and that "Tanks shouldn't stealth".
    The whole point of Juhani's kit is that she taunts, she takes damage, she stealths, she heals up, she taunts again, repeat. How is that bad?
    I used to use her in my JKR team in Arena and would win most of my matches. The only reason I stopped is because it became obvious that as I had a different team from everyone else I was perceived as being weaker and attacked more often. I switched to GK and my aggressive win rate genuinely decreased but I remained more stable in Arena because I was attacked less often.
    (I've now switched to a non-JKR squad.)
  • JKR works better with hYoda on offence though. No need for GK if you use JKR on offence
  • 2018 called on still using GK with JKR.
  • If anyone is using JKR in arena they're using it with GK, point is, GK is recommended across too many teams which indicates that the other light side tanks SUCK, and need to be looked at. Mace and Plo don't even have taunts.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    An interesting way to tackle this would be to add PROXY from Force Unleashed to serve as a second copy of a character for TW/GAC/Raids. Probably not allowing him to be on the same team as the copied character (two zombies?) and not allowing to copy GLs.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Agreed. Some LS tank reworks would be great.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Stenun wrote: »
    I disagree about Juhani and that "Tanks shouldn't stealth".
    The whole point of Juhani's kit is that she taunts, she takes damage, she stealths, she heals up, she taunts again, repeat. How is that bad?
    I used to use her in my JKR team in Arena and would win most of my matches. The only reason I stopped is because it became obvious that as I had a different team from everyone else I was perceived as being weaker and attacked more often. I switched to GK and my aggressive win rate genuinely decreased but I remained more stable in Arena because I was attacked less often.
    (I've now switched to a non-JKR squad.)

That Juhani situation which you described sounds good on paper, but in my experience that's not how it works out. When I fight a team with Juhani, I'm glad that she stealths, it makes my attacking easier because I get through her initial taunt rather quickly and can pick off other toons before she can taunt again (admittedly it's usually an OR team, but the point is not invalid). Juhani always ends up being the last enemy I kill, she does not cause me any trouble whatsoever and after I force her to stealth I can basically ignore her the rest of the match.
    A tune-up for Juhani and a few other LS tanks would be a welcome addition.
  • I have a g12 Juhani with zeta and she's been incredibly underwhelming. She feels like a ton of dead weight. Could use with a touch-up or something. Maybe the next time we get some OR content.
  • Well, I mean he is arguably the best tank in the game, so it’s not a surprise that the beat comps all contain him. You can have other options, too though, just as pointed out they aren’t as good as the best.
    Padme: CWC, Fives, or no tank. Not the best option if you have clone troopers, so probably where GK is most needed.
    JKR: Use Juhani, or no tank with Hoda, or Kanaan
    JKL: Old Ben
    GL Rey: Try something fun/different, like the ironic yet effective Kru + Wat. Or Wat + any tank, really. That relic Holdo not keeping her taunt up? Not anymore...
  • Well, I mean he is arguably the best tank in the game, so it’s not a surprise that the beat comps all contain him. You can have other options, too though, just as pointed out they aren’t as good as the best.
    Padme: CWC, Fives, or no tank. Not the best option if you have clone troopers, so probably where GK is most needed.
    GL Rey: Try something fun/different, like the ironic yet effective Kru + Wat. Or Wat + any tank, really. That relic Holdo not keeping her taunt up? Not anymore...
    I'm aware there are less than ideal workarounds but I'm saying if CG has designed a character with synergies in mind and they keep designing it with GK in mind as the tank, that indicates a problem on their end where they need to adjust other tanks.

Dark side teams don't all recommend Malak, Sion, Sith Empire Trooper, Nightsister Zombie, GBA, and Magnaguard are all very good tanks, nobody suggests using Malak as the tank for nightsisters because nightsister zombie is an incredible tank, same thing with nobody suggesting Malak with GG, because Magnaguard is a great tank with a taunt that just keeps coming back up.

Light side tanks very few of them can keep their taunt up enough. GK is the one light side tank where you can't just dispel it and it's dealt with for 3 turns, Old Ben is okay because his taunt will endure 1 dispel attempt, but after that it's gone and they're a pylon.
    For "tanks" that aren't meant to actually be the main tank for a group, a 3 cooldown skill to taunt for 2-3 turns is fine, but for a tank that is actually meant to take all the hits for the team, they have to have a more persistant taunt, either taunting on using any skill or their basic the way Magnaguard, Zombie, Geo Brute do it, or they need to be a conditional taunt that is easy to get to happen, like GK taunting when an ally gets critically hit, or Malak taunting when there is fear or shock or CBM (in a team that has sources of fear and shock and CBM).

Most the light side tanks have 1 active taunt skill special on a cooldown, that gets easily stripped from them.

• I get what you're saying but isn't it awesome that GK is one of the best plug-and-play characters in the game?
  • I get what you're saying but isn't it awesome that GK is one of the best plug-and-play characters in the game?

Not when the developers expect you to use him on every single light side team they make.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    Malevolan wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but isn't it awesome that GK is one of the best plug-and-play characters in the game?

Not when the developers expect you to use him on every single light side team they make.

Wrong. You only need 1 arena team. For everything else, we all only have 1 GK, so nobody is at a disadvantage. It comes down to how you make your teams with what we do have to work with.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a couple more good jedi tanks. That Mace guy looks like he could be decent...
  • CCyrilS wrote: »
    I get what you're saying but isn't it awesome that GK is one of the best plug-and-play characters in the game?

Wrong. You only need 1 arena team. For everything else, we all only have 1 GK, so nobody is at a disadvantage. It comes down to how you make your teams with what we do have to work with.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a couple more good jedi tanks. That Mace guy looks like he could be decent...

You need a lot more teams than that for TW, GAC, and TB.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

We all do, though. So... exaxtly what I said before.

Yeah because its a bad situation for everyone don't worry about it lol. Sounds good .
  • HKFactory
    374 posts Member
    edited June 2020
    I think K-2SO could be a pretty solid light side tank with a bit of tweaking, like making his taunt last one turn instead of losing it when he’s hit, or alternatively just giving him extra measures against debuffs so he counters, and as a result, taunts more often. Perhaps even some means of recovering protection to compliment his zeta ability.
  • Malevolan wrote: »
    Well, I mean he is arguably the best tank in the game, so it’s not a surprise that the beat comps all contain him. You can have other options, too though, just as pointed out they aren’t as good as the best.
    I'm aware there are less than ideal workarounds but I'm saying if CG has designed a character with synergies in mind and they keep designing it with GK in mind as the tank, that indicates a problem on their end where they need to adjust other tanks.

Dark side teams don't all recommend Malak, Sion, Sith Empire Trooper, Nightsister Zombie, GBA, and Magnaguard are all very good tanks, nobody suggests using Malak as the tank for nightsisters because nightsister zombie is an incredible tank, same thing with nobody suggesting Malak with GG, because Magnaguard is a great tank with a taunt that just keeps coming back up.

Light side tanks very few of them can keep their taunt up enough. GK is the one light side tank where you can't just dispel it and it's dealt with for 3 turns, Old Ben is okay because his taunt will endure 1 dispel attempt, but after that it's gone and they're a pylon.
    For "tanks" that aren't meant to actually be the main tank for a group, a 3 cooldown skill to taunt for 2-3 turns is fine, but for a tank that is actually meant to take all the hits for the team, they have to have a more persistant taunt, either taunting on using any skill or their basic the way Magnaguard, Zombie, Geo Brute do it, or they need to be a conditional taunt that is easy to get to happen, like GK taunting when an ally gets critically hit, or Malak taunting when there is fear or shock or CBM (in a team that has sources of fear and shock and CBM).

Most the light side tanks have 1 active taunt skill special on a cooldown, that gets easily stripped from them.

It's true that the LS Meta teams could use a few better tanks, but to be fair there are several good ones that just aren't part of the current Meta. Baze, L3, and Zaalbar all come to mind. GAS is also like the ultimate tank when he's leading 501st. It would've been nice to have JKL be a rebel, then maybe we could've seen a Chaze comeback. Or have JKR interact more with Old Republic, then Zaalbar could've had a little more limelight. This probably also partly stems from the fact that they cranked the difficulty of LS Geo TB to 11, so any non-Jedi/GR tank is going to have limited use there. Of which there is only 1 good one. As opposed to seps, who get 2 good tanks for their teams plus still keep the best DS tank available as a wildcard.
    That's it, Mace rework incoming. This time as a real tank!
  • I'd love to have Mace and Plo get some tank reworks.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Treeburner wrote: »

Yeah because its a bad situation for everyone don't worry about it lol. Sounds good .

It's not a bad situation for everyone, it's only a bad situation for those who don't want to think outside the box and who would rather just button mash.

A game without any choices to make is not a game I want to play.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »

It's not a bad situation for everyone, it's only a bad situation for those who don't want to think outside the box and who would rather just button mash.

That's a copout. the bad part of it is that CG is DESIGNING these teams with GK in mind.
    That is a a big problem.
    If CG designed every dark side character around using malak as their tank that would be a similar problem.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

That's a copout. the bad part of it is that CG is DESIGNING these teams with GK in mind.
    That is a a big problem.
    If CG designed every dark side character around using malak as their tank that would be a similar problem.

Not the point at all. The point is doing the best with what we have.

As I already said before, I'd love another good tank also. But in the mean time how you build your teams is what matters.

That is a a big problem.

As I already said before, I'd love another good tank also. But in the mean time how you build your teams is what matters.

It's definitely the point of telling CG to stop designing characters with using GK in mind.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

That is a a big problem.

It's definitely the point of telling CG to stop designing characters with using GK in mind.

I don't think they do, but he's the best so why would we use anyone else?

That is a a big problem.

They do, because they actually suggest him as a synergy for every new important LS character
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member

That is a a big problem.

They do, because they actually suggest him as a synergy for every new important LS character

Doesn't it make sense the newest toons work with the best tank?

Can you think of any DS squads that would be worse with Malak on them?
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member

That is a a big problem.

Because of faction...
    Imaging that 2 or 3 new DS important chars are all sith/sith empire, then we will see malak required everywhere.

That is a a big problem.

Doesn't it make sense the newest toons work with the best tank?

Can you think of any DS squads that would be worse with Malak on them?

GG droids
    Nightsisters
    Imperial Troopers
    Bounty Hunters (only BH can contribute towards payout)
    debatably SLK lead First Order with Hux in the lineup (if all allies are first order enemies can't gain bonus TM)
    or any FO team with Hux in the lineup.