Why go for Rey

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Options
    Except the person TVF was responding to has all of those things (besides the first about which I have no idea).
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    Options
    Slaveen wrote: »
    1) She is faster than SLKR who has a higher base speed btw.

<snip>

What if you can’t out-speed SLKR who has 28 higher base speed? Most serious players who have been playing for a couple years that you face with SLKR will out-speed you with 28 more base speed.

False

https://swgoh.gg/characters/stats/#2

Rey has a higher base speed.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Juldi
    60 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Rey has a higher base speed than Kylo but that doesn't change the problem. i unlocked rey recently and i really regret...
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Not bothering to read pages of toxic arguments, but in case it helps anyone trying to decide who to pursue I thought I would add this.

I have Rey. I also have some of the best mods on my 4 1/2 year old shard. I lose more often than I win against stock SLKR teams with mediocre FO characters. My team has R7 Kenobi, R7 JKL, and R7 G$ with a R3 Wat. I literally just lost 3 times in a row vs a team with FOO while I’m rocking Hero’s Journey Luke, an Epic Confrontation Anakin, a raid reward Kenobi, and GTB reward Wat. It requires a titans team to suck slightly less against FO junk. And I still time out quite often vs other Rey teams, although that has happened less now that I have Luke at R7.

Trying the same thing with Rey (putting in Rose, Holdo, etc) would be disastrous. Having the hot garbage that is 1/3-1/2 of the Resistance faction has completely ruined GAC for me. I used to get Kyber every time. Now I have so much dead weight that it’s a struggle to win half the time. I have better results using other poorly modded g12 teams than I do using my Relic Resistance characters.

If you have the choice go for SLKR first, and Rey as an absolute last resort if you have everything else you want in the game done. She is decent, but she is not worth the effort or expense by comparison.

There's videos showing you how to win in this very thread, toxic arguments aside.

Also I have an R3 JKL and Rey mirrors are crazy easy now.

I’ve seen them. The team I have now has given the best results. SLKR is superior in all game modes you are allowed to use him in. I’ve actually stopped even bothering to participate in the Sith Raid. I was getting top 5 rewards, but now half my guild will Solo it, so I just register and don’t bother.
    Also, I love how if an argument doesn’t fit your narrative and makes valid points against yours, that makes it “toxic.”

I wasn’t singling out a side as toxic. I think most arguments on this forum are fairly toxic on all sides (though not necessarily all individuals). It’s why I’ve cut back about 99% on posting here. Rey is good. I just haven’t enjoyed having her, and I regret my very expensive choice. I’m just sharing that with anyone who might find it useful.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options

<snip>

What if you can’t out-speed SLKR who has 28 higher base speed? Most serious players who have been playing for a couple years that you face with SLKR will out-speed you with 28 more base speed.

False

Okay, you’ve debunked 1 of the qualifiers.

What about the other 2?

I should really say what about the other 4 qualifiers if you include pulling a Raid reward toon and key component of a Padme squad as one and pulling an Epic Confrontation toon and main component of a 501st squad.

I am literally months away from a relic’ed Wat. Will probably get him to 7 stars after October’s DSGTB. I’ll be close to unlocking SLKR by then. So F me right?
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    Not to mention: even the videos that claim you can beat SLKR 100% of the time by breaking apart at least 3 META teams with a bunch of qualifiers attached to it also admit that “it doesn’t matter how much of your team dies at this point.”

So a titan Rey squad comprised of a GTB reward toon, a raid reward toon, a GET1 exclusive toon, and an Epic Confrontation toon, breaking apart 2 META teams and the best Separatist in the game, and IF you can out-speed SLKR with your 5 additional base speed over him guarantees you a low-banner GAC victory.

Meanwhile, SLKR with B-tier FO toons requires no qualifiers, no breaking apart of other teams, and guarantees you a high-banner GAC victory.

The anti-#BuffRey crowd: “See, she’s fine!”
  • AlexanderG
    1928 posts Member
    Options
    I'm not arguing that anyone should prioritise Rey over Kylo and I fully get it must be highly frustrating to lose out to guild mates on the sith raid. Doesn't seem fair to me.

However, I don't think anyone should think she's a poor character. I've just checked my arena shard and she makes up 14 out of the top 20 and all of the top 5. She's not a bad investment if you value crystal intake.
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    Options

<snip>

False

Okay, you’ve debunked 1 of the qualifiers.

What about the other 2?

I should really say what about the other 4 qualifiers if you include pulling a Raid reward toon and key component of a Padme squad as one and pulling an Epic Confrontation toon and main component of a 501st squad.

I am literally months away from a relic’ed Wat. Will probably get him to 7 stars after October’s DSGTB. I’ll be close to unlocking SLKR by then. So F me right?

Show me where in this thread or any thread I advise going for Rey first. I'm just correcting things that people say that are wrong.
  • Mirkraag
    509 posts Member
    Options
    Not bothering to read pages of toxic arguments, but in case it helps anyone trying to decide who to pursue I thought I would add this.

I have Rey. I also have some of the best mods on my 4 1/2 year old shard. I lose more often than I win against stock SLKR teams with mediocre FO characters. My team has R7 Kenobi, R7 JKL, and R7 G$ with a R3 Wat. I literally just lost 3 times in a row vs a team with FOO while I’m rocking Hero’s Journey Luke, an Epic Confrontation Anakin, a raid reward Kenobi, and GTB reward Wat. It requires a titans team to suck slightly less against FO junk. And I still time out quite often vs other Rey teams, although that has happened less now that I have Luke at R7.

Trying the same thing with Rey (putting in Rose, Holdo, etc) would be disastrous. Having the hot garbage that is 1/3-1/2 of the Resistance faction has completely ruined GAC for me. I used to get Kyber every time. Now I have so much dead weight that it’s a struggle to win half the time. I have better results using other poorly modded g12 teams than I do using my Relic Resistance characters.

If you have the choice go for SLKR first, and Rey as an absolute last resort if you have everything else you want in the game done. She is decent, but she is not worth the effort or expense by comparison.

100% agree, everything is said. No matter what kylo users say.

Dont go for Rey
  • Sev
    15 posts Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with Rey is how insanely boring she is. You basically do nothing while you wait to be able to use her 3rd ability then one shot someone. Rinse and repeat until you win.
  • Illanous
    20 posts Member
    Options

I agree. However if you are strugling, I have posted a video a few pages back. Check that out please, It can help you have better win ratio vs SLKR teams
  • Options
    It seems to me that CG and EA just laughed at all the players who went along the path of Rey. Initially presented as a cool Legend oriented to the Arena. And in the end, they made it so that everyone who followed the Rei path ended up in a complete ****, because Kylo is now a mandatory character for any active player. And those who went along the path of Rey now do not have enough resources to make a second legend. As a result, everyone who has Rey just threw a bunch of resources into the landfill. What is the most behind the development of the account, those who followed the path of Kylo.
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Mirlighter wrote: »
    It seems to me that CG and EA just laughed at all the players who went along the path of Rey. Initially presented as a cool Legend oriented to the Arena. And in the end, they made it so that everyone who followed the Rei path ended up in a complete ****, because Kylo is now a mandatory character for any active player. And those who went along the path of Rey now do not have enough resources to make a second legend. As a result, everyone who has Rey just threw a bunch of resources into the landfill. What is the most behind the development of the account, those who followed the path of Kylo.

I don't have Kylo. I'm quite active. I'm doing fine.

Also I was close to adding Kylo and decided on JKL instead, and I don't regret it.
  • Mirlighter
    46 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    By the way, after the improvement of Kylo, ​​which gave Kylo an advantage over Rey in everything. In all game moments and events. As well as from Rey, the bloated warehouse is not playable characters. Many players just get disappointed and want to quit the game. to the Arena, HTS, GA and other gaming events. Seeing how Rey was simply humiliated compared to Kylo. From the game only sadness and disappointment.
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    Options
    TB

Also she still does fine in arena despite what people keep moaning about. Try using her differently.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    Options
    TB

Also she still does fine in arena despite what people keep moaning about. Try using her differently.

That I can get 1st with a hybrid Rey team dosen’t change the fact that she is a huge disappointment compared to Kylo.
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    Options
    Gamorrean wrote: »
    TB

That I can get 1st with a hybrid Rey team dosen’t change the fact that she is a huge disappointment compared to Kylo.

That's fine but has nothing to do with the part of the post I responded to.
  • Options
    TB

You do not understand the essence. If EA gave the opportunity to return all the resources spent on resistance and on Rey. I could be dressed FO, Kylo. Take Luk, dress Vaiders. And from time to time to play and enjoy all the game events. And I wouldn’t need Rey at all, I wouldn’t even think about wasting resources on it. As did many players who initially followed the Kylo path.

Here's how to explain. You're spending $ 1000. And in the case of Kylo, ​​you get gold. And in the case of Rey, you get a piece of ****.
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    Options
    TB

You do not understand the essence. If EA gave the opportunity to return all the resources spent on resistance and on Rey. I could be dressed FO, Kylo. Take Luk, dress Vaiders. And from time to time to play and enjoy all the game events. And I wouldn’t need Rey at all, I wouldn’t even think about wasting resources on it. As did many players who initially followed the Kylo path.

Here's how to explain. You're spending $ 1000. And in the case of Kylo, ​​you get gold. And in the case of Rey, you get a piece of ****.

Disagree.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    There's still a chance someone will theorycraft a rey team that owns hstr. Just because one hasn't been discovered (or at least widely known) doesn't mean it won't be.
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    TB

So if you think Rey is a piece of crap, then why is she able to beat a lot of teams besides maybe Vader and Kylo?

Why does she have an ultimate ability that can wipe almost half a team or half a character's protection and health?

Rey is still a very good character and team. She is not crap.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_SBCrumb stated on May 6th in reference to GAS being able to beat SLKR:

“In general, we want to avoid scenarios where a team performs better when undersized or lower investment.”

So we can’t have GAS, the META right before SLKR, bearing SLKR.

But it’s okay for Vader, JKR, and DR to beat Rey.

Your investment doesn’t matter to CG, Rey users. They want you to either spend money on SLKR now or take a hike. You’ve been duped.
  • BBresal
    12 posts Member
    Options
    I don't write in the forums very often (not sure if this is my first or second post here), but I am sure that the main complain of Rey users is not the character herself, but the fact that the rest of the Resistance toons do not work in her team as good as a full FO squad with SLKR.
    Of course Rey herself is not crap (despite the wording of some people in this thread that said that in comparison to Kylo), but every body knows Rose Tico is (and you have to raise her to relic 5 to get Rey), Resistance Pilot also sucks (relic 3, if I recall correctly), Poe is pretty useless after Finn's leader was cut and Holdo is way too slow and with too high skill refresh to be really useful in the team.
    I'm not a Rey owner, but I have managed to beat some in arena with my GAS team (not maxed-out, relic 4 in some clones). I still have not geared up the new Resistance Heroes characters, but they are rarely seen with Rey in arena anymore since the first weeks. From my view, maybe it is not Rey who needs a touch up, but the rest of the Resistance team to add some synergies with her, so she don't need GK, GAS, JKL and characters that would screw-up many other teams in a GAC if you want to be competitive against other GL.
  • Options
    TB

So if you think Rey is a piece of crap, then why is she able to beat a lot of teams besides maybe Vader and Kylo?

Why does she have an ultimate ability that can wipe almost half a team or half a character's protection and health?

She's good. But at GS level, Dart Revan. Like another character in the SW universe.
    But not at all the level of Galactic Legends.
    The fact that she can be a character who must be mined for energy or for the currency of the Guild events.
    And not so, make 13 Persians of the maximum level, more than half of which are not playable. To get a character of the GS / Malak level.

If she was just mined from the store or just for energy could be taken, then she would be Hortsha. But for a galactic legend, it is simply insignificance compared to Kylo.
  • Options
    TB

And here the question of objectivity already arises. If there is Kylo, ​​then Rey is already unnecessary. Download Luk and Darth Vader and all, all events you can safely play.

But if you have a Rey. Then you definitely need to make Kylo, ​​otherwise you'll lose everywhere. So what's the point of Rey.
  • TVF
    36594 posts Member
    Options
    TB

And here the question of objectivity already arises. If there is Kylo, ​​then Rey is already unnecessary. Download Luk and Darth Vader and all, all events you can safely play.

But if you have a Rey. Then you definitely need to make Kylo, ​​otherwise you'll lose everywhere. So what's the point of Rey.

I am not losing anywhere. But keep ignoring that.
  • taquillasun
    1158 posts Member
    Options
    This thread is still going?

I have said it before.... no one should expect to win 100% of the time. If it happens, great! You rule!

GL vs GL fight, no matter which GL, is not an easy fight. I won't trivialize those having legit difficulty.

I mean props to the game designers!

But - this thread.... it echos a sentiment from a game, that experienced a similar phenomenon.

I'll just ask that you watch the first 4 minutes. And apply every time you hear the word Rogue, replace it with GL Rey owners.

Here is a quick snipit of what I feel is happening in this game that they point out so well I'll just replace Blizz with CG)

"This class is broken! How am I losing to noobs? Did I get worse?"

"No, you were never any good to begin with"

"When CG finally began to buff the other classes (Buff SLKR) to be on par with Rey, the suck players

who could barely understand 2 buttons, only saw they were losing more often.

They wouldn't admit "Hey maybe I destroyed everyone because of my class.

And now that the classes are more balanced I'm losing because I was never a good player to begin with.

No.... the only possibility in their minds is that Rey is broken and that SLKR is overpowered.

How else can an elite video game master lose to noobs?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1t0A1cqGcw&amp;t=302s

• Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    Options
    @CG_SBCrumb stated on May 6th in reference to GAS being able to beat SLKR:

“In general, we want to avoid scenarios where a team performs better when undersized or lower investment.”

So we can’t have GAS, the META right before SLKR, bearing SLKR.

But it’s okay for Vader, JKR, and DR to beat Rey.

That's not how I understood the "lower investment" point, but I may be wrong here.
    My understanding is they don't want a team to be better with less than 5 characters (compared to the same team with 5 characters) or with a lower gear level (compared to the same character with higher gear). So "lower investment" would refer to star level/gear.
    In the GAS+Echo case, we had both: this team performed better than a full GAS team and even better with the lowest gear possible of Echo. It was a similar scenario with Paper Zombie which led to a rework. I'm not saying Rey doesn't have issues, just that solving Kylo vs GAS+Echo was on par with what they did before.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    Options
    A few points to address the topic:
    - go for SLKR first if it's your first or only GL as he's overall the better GL (this was ALWAYS the case and not only after the buffs he received)
    - Rey was NOT better at PvP, they were pretty equal once the ultimates were unlocked
    - Rey is still one of the best chars in the game and incredibly valuable (SLKR + Rey are Tier S teams, then we start with GAS, Luke, etc. being Tier 1 etc.)

The ultimate smart way to unlock a (future) GL:
    1) save up all resources neccessary to gear up the required chars
    2) wait for kit reveal
    3) wait for GL release
    4) let the whales/krakens/impatient f2p hoarders unlock and play test the GL's
    5) wait for ultimates come into play
    6) wait 1-2 more weeks
    7) make a pro/contra evaluation for both GL's
    8) pick one and go for it

A good portion of the Rey owners probably already failed at 1). For whales/krakens that's no problem as they'll quickly get both anyway but I just don't understand how any non spender could do such a steep investment without even knowing their kits or having seen any gameplay.
    A major portion of the Rey owners most likely failed at 5). They've seen the gameplay from the day 1 unlocks and have seen how Rey was whirlwinding everything into oblivion while Kylo was heavily struggling. Counters were not really developed yet and Kylo makes immense power leap once his ultimate is unlocked. All of this was misleading and could be one of the main reasons why so many went for Rey over SLKR ("Rey is broken!" / "Kylo is trash!" - that was the consensus of all the "experts" on the forums/reddit/YT/etc.).
    Maybe with the next pair of GL's people won't be as impatient and go through all 8 steps but I am somewhat doubtful.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Options
    TB

So you are basically saying that because we have Kylo we shouldn't have Rey and that Rey is unnecessary? That doesn't make any sense.