Why go for Rey

Replies

• Blake085
    190 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    BryGuy2k wrote: »
    So there you go, the SLKR advantage is worth something close to 580 crystals per day based on HSTR alone vs any hypothetical Arena advantage Rey might have. Since there is literally no possible way to get a 500 crystal advantage in Arena over SLKR players, and since I can't imagine an SLKR player falling out of the top100 Arena Rankings anytime in the foreseeable future, SLKR is much better - to the tune of at least 180 crystals/day - even without considering marginal advantages in TW or significant advantages in the low-payout GAC.

And that is all that maters. Remove the ability for SLKR to chain ultimates by gaining charge during his ultimate stance and this goes away and we’re back to Rey being on par with SLKR in all modes.

Remove it yourself. Kylo can't chain ultimates if there's no one else to help him charge it.

False, SLKR can charge his ultimate by his own, he just goes nuts with his AoE and boom, another one.
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Blake085 wrote: »
    So there you go, the SLKR advantage is worth something close to 580 crystals per day based on HSTR alone vs any hypothetical Arena advantage Rey might have. Since there is literally no possible way to get a 500 crystal advantage in Arena over SLKR players, and since I can't imagine an SLKR player falling out of the top100 Arena Rankings anytime in the foreseeable future, SLKR is much better - to the tune of at least 180 crystals/day - even without considering marginal advantages in TW or significant advantages in the low-payout GAC.

And that is all that maters. Remove the ability for SLKR to chain ultimates by gaining charge during his ultimate stance and this goes away and we’re back to Rey being on par with SLKR in all modes.

Remove it yourself. Kylo can't chain ultimates if there's no one else to help him charge it.

False, SLKR can charge his ultimate by his own, he just goes nuts with his AoE and boom, another one.

Completely situational dependent. Point is that he's completely beatable.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    But why would anyone go for Rey over SLKR?
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    Because someone like Resistance more, or the Rey character more, or mainly cares about LS TB, or has a better resistance team so would need less resources to unlock.

There, mystery solved after 14 pages.

I can't think of a better answer.
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    Because someone like Resistance more, or the Rey character more, or mainly cares about LS TB, or has a better resistance team so would need less resources to unlock.

Sadly the same question was asked again 5 pages after that post. Some people just dont grasp the concept of personal preference.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    Starslayer wrote: »

Sadly the same question was asked again 5 pages after that post. Some people just dont grasp the concept of personal preference.

Or some people are in denial that Rey is clearly a second rate Galactic Legend.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    Blake085 wrote: »

Completely situational dependent. Point is that he's completely beatable.

Actually i prefer to fight kylos over the rey mirror. They're quicker.
  • Slaveen wrote: »

Or some people are in denial that Rey is clearly a second rate Galactic Legend.

But that has nothing to do with the answer to the question. Its a game, people choose to chase characters they like. That is the only answer needed here. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
    Looking for a new guild? Come check out the Underworld Alliance on Discord:https://discord.gg/wvrYb4Q
  • I'll tell you why, because if I simplify all of the stuff I read, heard and discussed with others was based on one questions what is your focus, PVP, or PVE.

You want to win in Arena and GA, pick Rey.
    You want to beat TB, Sith & HAAT pick SLKR.

Which when the first people got the toons appeared to be holding true, but now I look at my arena and all of the SLKR's are still in the top 50, and Rey sucks in Sith & HAAT. Then people complained that SLKR wasn't as viable in PVP and so they buffed him while adding more counters to Rey like Vader.

So why did I just waste 3 months leveling toons for Rey, when SLKR is clearly the better choice...

Anyone about to start this journey and debating between the two should choose SLKR. I would, their is more benefit to having SLKR, and leveling one of the 10 Rey counters.
  • The answer is simple: don't.

Once you factor in all of the requirements GL Rey is a garbage character. You're much better off getting GL Kylo or Jedi Luke. Those characters are fun to play, win games, and work well in PVP and PVE. CG has demonstrated they will not address the problems with GL Rey and have no intention to. They want players to waste their time, money, and effort on farming a bad character.
  • Yeah, I made the right decision at the time, and I'm enjoying finishing top 20 squad with no ultimate and mediocre relic levels (my GL Rey is r6, GK is r7, GA$ r4, Fives r4, Rex g12) and mediocre mods.

But if I'd gone SLKR, well, let me put it this way: my shard has about 20 GL Reys. It has 6 SLKRs. 3 SLKRs are in the top 5 squads right now, 1 more in the top 10 and 2 more in the top 15. There is no SLKR outside the top15. There are 2 GA$ squads in the top 15. There are 7 GL Reys in the top15. Obviously with 20 GL Reys we have plenty outside the top 15, but no SLKRs.

This isn't enough to say that SLKR is better at PVP, but it's enough to say that there's no way I'd be worse off with SLKR.

Since there's no way I'd finish lower with SLKR, and since I'd be able to get MUCH better rewards in HSTR to help along my next farm, even if it's GL Rey, SLKR would have been a massively better choice in terms of game payoff.

There are non-logical reasons to go for Rey. Some people just like the character, after all, which is what made me want to farm up Cara Dune right away. And there are guild pressures (this was a factor for me, with guild officers pushing me and other players to boost our LS Geo game). And it just so happens that my Resistance was in better shape than FO to start with (though looking back, not enough better that it really justified taking the route with a much worse payoff).

I can see someone who started a while ago feeling like the made the right choice at the time, even if it's not paying off.

But if you haven't already started your GL chase, there's no logical reason to go GL Rey at this point - at least not until after you get both SLKR and Jedi Luke, who can help your LS Geo performance more (since he's allowed on Jedi missions) for a great deal less investment.

At that point, with both SLKR and JKL in your pocket, going for GL Rey might make sense. But of course, then you'll have to look at whatever they've released in the meantime.

GL Rey is obviously a powerful character, but she's totally not worth the investment.
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Not to mention SLKR’s now perfectly tuned AI... for example, he always stuns the most powerful stunnable enemy even on defense... meanwhile Rey is still whirlwinding enemy toons with damage immunity...
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    I was on the "GA is more difficult if you went for Rey instead of Kylo" train. I changed my mind, Rey seeming better than Kylo in 3v3 format.

As long as there are as much 3v3 than 5v5, there is balance in GA between the 2 GL imo.
    Post edited by Starslayer on
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Because why not?
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    Because why not?

Maybe you should read more of the previous posts then just answer the main headline.

Rey is garbage compared to SLKR at the moment. I have Rey and regret every minute of her.... If I could have switch all my gear to the toons for SLKR I would have. Heck I even asked EA if they would before I started farming Rey. They said no.

Rey currently is a waste. If you are making the decision between the two, go for SLKR.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Dramgon wrote: »
    ShaggyB wrote: »
    Because why not?

Maybe you should read more of the previous posts then just answer the main headline.

Rey is garbage compared to SLKR at the moment. I have Rey and regret every minute of her.... If I could have switch all my gear to the toons for SLKR I would have. Heck I even asked EA if they would before I started farming Rey. They said no.

Rey currently is a waste. If you are making the decision between the two, go for SLKR.

Eh. I went kylo first back when he was garbage. Working reys event now.

Having both is a huge benefit to you. GAC even arena has its place for her. Will she beat all kylo teams... no but kylo sometimes cant beat her either
  • Potato
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    I like my Rey.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Slaveen
    481 posts Member
    I like my Rey.

Here is the problem with #BuffRey opponents - they oversimplify everything.

Sure, I like my Rey too. Sure, I climb to 1 almost every day in arena with her in the leader slot, about half the time without a refresh. Sure, Rey is not trash compared to Fierce Attacker Rose Tico (FART).

Is she pared with her GL counterpart? No. Is she dominant in any area of the game compared to SLKR? No. Is there a single good reason why anyone should go for her first before SLKR other than LSGTB? No. Is her impact in LSGTB greater than marginal at best? No. Is her AI as perfectly tuned as SLKR’s? No. Is she as effective with her faction as SLKR for GAC/TW purposed? No. Are her mirrors bearable? No. Are the toons you gear to get her decent? No. Will she help you get end-game gear quickly through raids to make your SLKR farm faster? No. Is her win rate against SLKR as consistent as SLKR’s win rate against her? No.

To sum it all up: Rey is the second best toon in the game but when you compare her cost of investment to SLKR’s, she is DEFINITELY not worth investing in before SLKR who is clearly the META.
  • Starslayer
    2413 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Will she beat all kylo teams... no

Geniunely curious: what kylo teams can't Rey beat reliably ?

Post edited by Starslayer on
  • Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    It's very simple, here's what you do if you want to maximize profit on something like GLs

1) make one clearly stronger than the other in PvP
    2) wait for whales to buy their way to it
    3) swap: make the GL that was previously worse in PvP better at everything (but try to maintain some chances for the other GL with better modding and strategy)
    4) ignore the salt coming from whales that bought their way to the first GL (Rey)
    5) wait for the dust to settle down and for addiction to kick back in
    6) watch them frantically buying their way to the other GL too instead of allowing them to calmly farm for it while they dominate in PvP with the GL they already have
    7) profit
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited August 2020

Depends on mods and rng
  • ShaggyB wrote: »

Depends on mods and rng

In Arena, I still didn't face a kylo team i can't beat reliably wit Ulti Rey, whatever comps or modding I faced. However, maybe my shard doesn't field those kylo teams that you're talking about, or maybe my mods are good enough. Sorry if i insist, but what type or modding/comp did you (or others) faced that made rey's victory rng-dependant in Arena ?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

Depends on mods and rng

In Arena, I still didn't face a kylo team i can't beat reliably wit Ulti Rey, whatever comps or modding I faced. However, maybe my shard doesn't field those kylo teams that you're talking about, or maybe my mods are good enough. Sorry if i insist, but what type or modding/comp did you (or others) faced that made rey's victory rng-dependant in Arena ?

My kylo cant beat several rey teams in my arena.
  • Rey is great. No more buffs to either GL please.

Just put hstr on sim = no more whinging.
  • I am fortunte to have both and have found slk more fun to climb in arena, but rey doesn’t drop as far after my po.
    To be clear I run rey jkr gas gk luke as my arena defense team, once i drop out of top 5.
    SLK is definitely the priority, but Rey is still worth the farm, 2 GL’s are better than 1.
    Another reason to farm Rey is for LS geo TB, as she can easily 4/4 in the first phases. (Cant speak for later ones as don’t have that experience).
    Finally while SLK does seem the best choice for first farm currently, it only takes the release of one toon to upset the meta completely, making rey the better option
  • Have you fought the gas rey chewie fives malak team, with guard on gas.
    Very annoying team for slk to beat
  • Sick of these buff rey calls. Rey with JKL/JKR/GAS/GK is tough to beat with slkr.

What may need to be buffed is the resistance support characters but not rey herself
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    Sick of these buff rey calls. Rey with JKL/JKR/GAS/GK is tough to beat with slkr.

What may need to be buffed is the resistance support characters but not rey herself

Amen
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?