Why go for Rey

Replies

• Options
    Darion wrote: »
    I think they are clearly better in certain areas but mutual in their raw power against each other.

Rey advantages:
    - GA 3 vs 3 (she is a wall, "you shall not pass", some teams can win but.. point is she's good)
    - her role in LSGTB is much more pivotal than that of SLKR in DSGTB
    - w/ SLKR you can almost always take him out in two attempts if you start by using a GAS team, you can get SLKR down enough to wipe him with just about any squad as a cleanup
    - adversely Rey is deadly on 2nd+ attempts

SLKR advantages:
    - solos all raids
    - farms better characters/ more viable teams (more first order also have an assault battle although I am not sure that SLKR is useful or not - only just unlocked my SLKR today please don't at me)
    - and from what I am reading less counters (I could have sworn Vader was a solid counter or did the SLKR touch up change that? And tbh I have cheezed a GAS win every so often, which is IMPOSSIBLE against Rey )

So personally I chose SLKR a few months ago because I thought the value from him was better.

The GAS/Fives cheese was fixed what, like 2 months ago? You haven't GAS cheezed SLKR anytime recently.

I just unlocked SLKR's ultimate today and climbed in arena with him for the first time ever today. I'm gonna save my final assessment of his and Rey's supposed parity until at least a few weeks from now once I've become as proficient with him as I did after using Rey for 4 months. So though I acknowledge I need to wait until then, I'll just say this:

Rey advantages:
    -LSGTB: sure, her impact here is way more than SLKR's impact on DSGTB. Regardless, no special missions require her and bad RNG can even cause an R7 ultimate Rey team to only go 3/4... in fact... it's not even uncommon. I go 4/4 most of the time with her but it is far from a guarantee. So her biggest advantage is "meh" at best.
    -3v3 GAC: okay, sure... but this happens what, two or three times a year?
    -Works better as a non-leader in a GAS or JKR line up than SLKR does as a non-leader... but you pretty much only do this in arena when trying to consistently beat SLKR because you can't with Rey as the leader

SLKR advantages:
    -PvP: easy mirrors compared to Reys that timeout often, easily counters Rey-led teams without JKLS with full FO, still counter Rey-led teams with JKLS but not easily. GAS or JKR-led Rey teams are a little trickier but still fairly easily countered using some characters you most likely already have geared.
    -PvE: king of all raids. Period. This allows you to gear other toons quicker with the most reliable means at securing end-game gear quickly.
    -GAC/TW: doesn't break up 5 of your best teams in order to put forth its best composition, unlike Rey teams
    -The toons you gear to get SLKR are at least viable even if they're not top tier toons, unlike most of the Resistance toons your gear to get Rey with a handful of exceptions like JTR, BB8, and arguably OG Finn (who basically becomes irrelevant if you have SLKR), so.... yeah.
    -Finalizer is one of the best offensive capital ships in the game while the Raddus is very "meh" in all aspects. Not to mention there are currently only 3 Resistance ships compared to 4 F.O. ships, and KRU's TIE Silencer is far and away better than all the Resistance ships currently in existence.

So yeah... there is no GL "parity." SLKR is better in almost every aspect with less than a handful of exceptions. Not to mention SLKR has greater long term potential.

Point is: if you haven't started gearing toons to go for one or the other first between SLKR and Rey... go for SLKR. Without a doubt. Hands down. Move along.
  • Options
    The GAS/Fives cheese was fixed what, like 2 months ago? You haven't GAS cheezed SLKR anytime recently.

When I say Cheez a win, I mean maybe 1/10 battles my gas solos the whole SLKR team (that's why I said occasionally) I suppose I shouldn't have used the phrase Cheez cause of the buggy way targeting worked before.

As for most of you're break down I agree, which is why I chose him myself as my first GL even though by all counts I was closer to getting Rey.

I do think the opposite was true until SLKR got buffed though. But aside from that I hope with the addition of the new gls that perhaps a 4 way deadlock can be achieved, perhaps both MLS and SEEP will have abilities that cancel SLKRs defensive viability but cannot easily beat a Rey team ... Can only hope
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Zhangster wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Mirkraag wrote: »
    Don't go for Rey,

She is worse than Kylo in every aspect. Don't listen to Kylo user saying it is balanced while autoing every thing.

would you also not recommend going after JKR to those that do not have him?

Kyno, first of all, not going after JKR is probably still reasonable considering DR counters him, GAS flips the table on him, and both GL destroy the crap out of him. Shaakti and clones and counter JKR on defense, and so as well as a decently modded droid team. Sure, he is still definitely a solid GAC team, but he's only a nitch above Empire and Padme teams.

Second, JKR requires 5 characters to be geared and relatively strong, but not relic-strong. Rey, on the other hand, requires 12 relic characters and a 5* ship. If Kylo requires more cost, then Rey could be considered, but Kylo requires the similar things. Unfortunately, Rey is outmatched versus Kylo in Squad Arena, where she's holding on a thread for those who have GAS, outmatched in GAC on defense holds, outmatched in HSITH for sure, and outmatched in the recent galactic challenges. So, CG should, and I say "should", seriously look into ways to take back a part of the buffs Kylo has, or buff Rey a bit more. I expect, lore wise, for Rey to counter Kylo in PvP, not the other way around. She needs to be #1 character in PvP or not all Galactic Legends are equal. Owners of only SLKR are superior than owners of only Rey.

How many LSTB waves can you complete?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    Zhangster wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Don't go for Rey,

She is worse than Kylo in every aspect. Don't listen to Kylo user saying it is balanced while autoing every thing.

would you also not recommend going after JKR to those that do not have him?

Kyno, first of all, not going after JKR is probably still reasonable considering DR counters him, GAS flips the table on him, and both GL destroy the crap out of him. Shaakti and clones and counter JKR on defense, and so as well as a decently modded droid team. Sure, he is still definitely a solid GAC team, but he's only a nitch above Empire and Padme teams.

Second, JKR requires 5 characters to be geared and relatively strong, but not relic-strong. Rey, on the other hand, requires 12 relic characters and a 5* ship. If Kylo requires more cost, then Rey could be considered, but Kylo requires the similar things. Unfortunately, Rey is outmatched versus Kylo in Squad Arena, where she's holding on a thread for those who have GAS, outmatched in GAC on defense holds, outmatched in HSITH for sure, and outmatched in the recent galactic challenges. So, CG should, and I say "should", seriously look into ways to take back a part of the buffs Kylo has, or buff Rey a bit more. I expect, lore wise, for Rey to counter Kylo in PvP, not the other way around. She needs to be #1 character in PvP or not all Galactic Legends are equal. Owners of only SLKR are superior than owners of only Rey.

Lol such entitlement.
  • Straegen
    194 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Rey holds better on defense in the right compositions. JKR, Rey, JKL, Hoda and GAS hold better in arena than any team I have seen. Granted you won't be doing that in TW or GAC but holding in the top 20 every day makes climbing near effortless. My R7 unlocked Kylo with Malak, routinely needs an arena fight refresh to make it back to the top 3 and that is a long hour plus climb at 10 minutes per move.
  • Options
    Straegen wrote: »
    Rey holds better on defense in the right compositions. JKR, Rey, JKL, Hoda and GAS hold better in arena than any team I have seen. Granted you won't be doing that in TW or GAC but holding in the top 20 every day makes climbing near effortless. My R7 unlocked Kylo with Malak, routinely needs an arena fight refresh to make it back to the top 3 and that is a long hour plus climb at 10 minutes per move.

I'm glad of this since as someone without a GL, the Rey teams are a much easier win with Vader.

Though at this point, I don't see where going for Rey makes sense for anyone that isn't already almost there.

Papa palps gives you an empire team, a sith team, and most of an imp troopers team for assualt battles.

Jml gives you a rebel team and jedi team for assault battles.

Kylo gives you a hstr solo. However if papa palps or jml also solo that removes that point.

I'm betting that jml or palps will hold better than Rey or kylo since they are new.

So with no resistance or fo specific content, if you have no GLs the better path is to go for palps and Luke and just skip Rey and kylo. Or at least Rey if the new GLs can't solo hstr.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options

Rey holding top 20 every day is a function of the shard at this point, not the toon.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

Rey holding top 20 every day is a function of the shard at this point, not the toon.

No joke. The JKR, JKL, GAS, Hoda, Rey comps in my shard have fallen as far as 52. At this point, nothing really holds anymore because every try-hard f2p and every whale has what they need to beat anything in front of them in arena.
  • Options
    For me, the best part with going for Rey is the satisfaction of using JKL in my arena team.
  • Options
    With the introduction of two more GLs, the difference between SLKR and Rey couldn't be more stark. The Sith raid gives out so much necessary gear for the toons required for the next GLs, that not being able to finish in top 10 in Sith raid is starting to add up. Even though comments are made that some of the gear in the top 10 is garbage, that's still stockpiling much needed gear. SLKR owners are given a massive boost to their next farms, while Rey owners struggle to break the top 20 in Sith raid, and soon top 30, and that takes a toll.
  • Options
    Davie96 wrote: »
    With the introduction of two more GLs, the difference between SLKR and Rey couldn't be more stark. The Sith raid gives out so much necessary gear for the toons required for the next GLs, that not being able to finish in top 10 in Sith raid is starting to add up. Even though comments are made that some of the gear in the top 10 is garbage, that's still stockpiling much needed gear. SLKR owners are given a massive boost to their next farms, while Rey owners struggle to break the top 20 in Sith raid, and soon top 30, and that takes a toll.

This is an undeniable fact. And gives the win to slkr compared to the one month reward for lstb (which is as good even without rey has she is not implied in special mission)
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Davie96 wrote: »

This is an undeniable fact. And gives the win to slkr compared to the one month reward for lstb (which is as good even without rey has she is not implied in special mission)

Some people are in way better guilds with their Rey than they could be otherwise.
  • Options
    Slaveen wrote: »
    I think they are clearly better in certain areas but mutual in their raw power against each other.

Rey advantages:
    - GA 3 vs 3 (she is a wall, "you shall not pass", some teams can win but.. point is she's good)
    - w/ SLKR you can almost always take him out in two attempts if you start by using a GAS team, you can get SLKR down enough to wipe him with just about any squad as a cleanup

SLKR advantages:
    - solos all raids
    - farms better characters/ more viable teams (more first order also have an assault battle although I am not sure that SLKR is useful or not - only just unlocked my SLKR today please don't at me)
    - and from what I am reading less counters (I could have sworn Vader was a solid counter or did the SLKR touch up change that? And tbh I have cheezed a GAS win every so often, which is IMPOSSIBLE against Rey )

So personally I chose SLKR a few months ago because I thought the value from him was better.

I just unlocked SLKR's ultimate today and climbed in arena with him for the first time ever today. I'm gonna save my final assessment of his and Rey's supposed parity until at least a few weeks from now once I've become as proficient with him as I did after using Rey for 4 months. So though I acknowledge I need to wait until then, I'll just say this:

Rey advantages:
    -LSGTB: sure, her impact here is way more than SLKR's impact on DSGTB. Regardless, no special missions require her and bad RNG can even cause an R7 ultimate Rey team to only go 3/4... in fact... it's not even uncommon. I go 4/4 most of the time with her but it is far from a guarantee. So her biggest advantage is "meh" at best.
    -3v3 GAC: okay, sure... but this happens what, two or three times a year?
    -Works better as a non-leader in a GAS or JKR line up than SLKR does as a non-leader... but you pretty much only do this in arena when trying to consistently beat SLKR because you can't with Rey as the leader

SLKR advantages:
    -PvP: easy mirrors compared to Reys that timeout often, easily counters Rey-led teams without JKLS with full FO, still counter Rey-led teams with JKLS but not easily. GAS or JKR-led Rey teams are a little trickier but still fairly easily countered using some characters you most likely already have geared.
    -PvE: king of all raids. Period. This allows you to gear other toons quicker with the most reliable means at securing end-game gear quickly.
    -GAC/TW: doesn't break up 5 of your best teams in order to put forth its best composition, unlike Rey teams
    -The toons you gear to get SLKR are at least viable even if they're not top tier toons, unlike most of the Resistance toons your gear to get Rey with a handful of exceptions like JTR, BB8, and arguably OG Finn (who basically becomes irrelevant if you have SLKR), so.... yeah.
    -Finalizer is one of the best offensive capital ships in the game while the Raddus is very "meh" in all aspects. Not to mention there are currently only 3 Resistance ships compared to 4 F.O. ships, and KRU's TIE Silencer is far and away better than all the Resistance ships currently in existence.

So yeah... there is no GL "parity." SLKR is better in almost every aspect with less than a handful of exceptions. Not to mention SLKR has greater long term potential.

Point is: if you haven't started gearing toons to go for one or the other first between SLKR and Rey... go for SLKR. Without a doubt. Hands down. Move along.

Gas cheese still works fine, GAS, 5s, C3, Han and Chewie. I have Rey and SKLR and get bored so use this almost daily for something to do, other than hstr no real difference between the 2 both can climb and beat either, one for DSTB one for LSTB this thread is a joke all the whining. I got Rey first then SKLR and didn't hurt my progress in the game
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Looks like rey can solo sith raid after all

https://youtu.be/GZ_P5NY6liI
  • Options
    Interesting. I thought Nihilus stopped summoning adds once you got to enrage. Guess I was wrong
  • Options
    Looks like rey can solo sith raid after all

https://youtu.be/GZ_P5NY6liI

That's good theorycrafting, but unfortunately, if (Big if) soloing via kylo becomes a standard, then doing 100m would still keep you out of top 10 :(
  • Balthasar666
    254 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Interesting. I thought Nihilus stopped summoning adds once you got to enrage. Guess I was wrong

he did earlier
    but a patch not so long ago changed that
    but 90 minutes for p1 and p2 would mean raid rewards are done before you even post damage
    so you can also post a zero :D
  • Options
    Slaveen wrote: »

Rey advantages:

SLKR advantages:
    - solos all raids

Just wanted to say that the GAS/Five Cheese absolutely still works. GAS/Fives/Chewie can actually even go 3v5 vs SLKR (although I don’t actually recommend that).
  • Ragnarok_COTF
    1789 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @Bulldog1205 regarding that HSR vid. What if you brought a toon like Yolo instead of one of the rh bros? His damage stacks persist through phases. So maybe he'd be strong enough to enable you to clear P3 and 4? I don't have him or Visas G13, so I can't try it myself.
    Post edited by Ragnarok_COTF on
  • Options
    Yeah, in my guild if I took 90 minutes to post damage, payout would happen right around when I finished. It would be 50/50 whether or not I posted zero damage because I took too long. And that's with a guild rule to not post SLKR damage for 30 minutes. The unfortunate truth is that about half the time, someone posts early because they "forgot".

So really, this is a 50% chance to post 100M damage in 50% of the raids. For 75% of the raids in my guild, you'd get nothing.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Lol at 100m = solo the raid.