Are mods that bad?

Prev13
DubbQ
92 posts Member
I hear a lot of people on forums and youtubers about how bad mods are for the game.I really wonder what you guys specifically dislike. I played MSF for a couple of months and the absence of mods really made the game very boring for me. Every battle was the same as there are no ways to influence specific characters specialties etc or theory craft.

I for one would love to add mods to Ships as Ships matches are to boring and you exactly know the outcome of every match and attack order.

The negatives I heard is the RNG on mods lvling and slicing. I personally think this is fine and gives some sort of satisfaction if you roll a good mod. Ok it can be time consuming but its not like there is much else to do. I also think a small fix could take care of this. It would really help if you could specifically farm a mod type. So for example farm an offense mod but specifically farm crosses or squares etc

Also the importance of speed is mentioned as a big negative. I also again think being able to increase speed on characters is really important to make the game and matches more versatile. Also with the same mods, faster characters stay faster characters

Would love to hear what your opinions are and how you would like to improve it.

The UI and and selling should defenitely be better and easier for one. Plus the inventory limit

Replies

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    The mods themselves are fine (who remembers Poe droids meta will sure agree), it's the execution and management that stinks. Upgrading hundreds of useless mods for a chance at a useful one, speed being pretty much the only stat that really matters most of the time and so on...
  • I like mods for the most part. The idea is excellent but I think the variety and randomness is over done, which causes balance issues and can make mod management seem like a chore.
  • Magruffin
    775 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Nauros and Vi1teran_ basically nailed it as far as my opinion is. I just hate if you fall behind, you need to sort through and figure out which ones to upgrade out of hundreds of mods; its overwhelming and a huge time drain that I dont have time for usually
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    it's far too late to do anything about mods now so I don't worry about it and just try to get better ones. I just wish I understood better a long time ago
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Mod loadouts were a huge improvement, anyone who remembers what it was like without them would agree I think.

A roster-wide loadout is my big QoL request in the game. I'd love to hit a button and have all my mods revert to a preassigned state.

As far as getting good mods, the game rewards perseverance and smart choices on how to obtain mods and which mods to slice. The system has to have RNG built in, but the more mods you get and the smarter you are about how you use your resources (credits, ship credits, and slicing mats), the better your mods will be.

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I honestly don't know how the OG's managed this game without them honestly. Game already has enough rng and it sounds like it would be a nightmare with everyone being the same speeds. Kudos to them though cause I know I sure wouldn't have lasted. I love mods and the thrill of hunting for that next +20.
  • Vi1teran_
    218 posts Member
    A roster wide loadout would be amazing, even squad loadouts would be beneficial.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    I just wish I understood better a long time ago

Exactly.
    TVFs point about more mods is salient too. Get those numbers up. Hit the cap, sell, sort by speed and get rid of the slow junk that you have. I've sold some 8 speed mods lately because of other low secondaries.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • DubbQ
    92 posts Member
    NikoSWGoH wrote: »
    DubbQ wrote: »
    I for one would love to add mods to Ships as Ships matches are to boring and you exactly know the outcome of every match and attack order.
    Hahaha you must be new here.

Hahaha, care to explain yourself instead of a useless comment? I have done plenty of ship battles and the attack order and results are mostly the same. Some rng cases besides.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I think @Kyno is pretty good.
  • I don't know that mods are any worse for the game than starts, levels, gear or relics. They are just another form of linear progression.

Mods were better conceptually on their first release. I'm not saying those mods wouldn't have needed tweaking (and the games pve content definitely would have), but the concept was great. At that time, those mods gave such large increases to a characters power that they presented an actual opportunity for non-linear character customization. Unfortunately, with the exception of speed, the 2nd release ended up restricting mods to being a more or less linear progression. Relics suffer from the same issue. R7 Toon A is more or less the same than every other R7 Toon A. Had people been able to choose their mastery type, it would have made for more interesting builds.

This game lacks any real differentiation in character builds that one can find in deep MMO/RPG games, and it is too bad.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    DubbQ wrote: »
    I hear a lot of people on forums and youtubers about how bad mods are for the game.I really wonder what you guys specifically dislike. I played MSF for a couple of months and the absence of mods really made the game very boring for me. Every battle was the same as there are no ways to influence specific characters specialties etc or theory craft.

The negatives I heard is the RNG on mods lvling and slicing. I personally think this is fine and gives some sort of satisfaction if you roll a good mod. Ok it can be time consuming but its not like there is much else to do. I also think a small fix could take care of this. It would really help if you could specifically farm a mod type. So for example farm an offense mod but specifically farm crosses or squares etc

Also the importance of speed is mentioned as a big negative. I also again think being able to increase speed on characters is really important to make the game and matches more versatile. Also with the same mods, faster characters stay faster characters

Would love to hear what your opinions are and how you would like to improve it.

The UI and and selling should defenitely be better and easier for one. Plus the inventory limit

Good news for you for then. MSF is bringing them in, however, speed is not supposed to be a stat.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    I honestly don't know how the OG's managed this game without them honestly. Game already has enough rng and it sounds like it would be a nightmare with everyone being the same speeds. Kudos to them though cause I know I sure wouldn't have lasted. I love mods and the thrill of hunting for that next +20.

It was a nightmare. The Poe droids meta I mentioned earlier revolved around the old HK lead (absurd amounts of TM gain on crit) and Poe was the fastest character at the time, so typical match looked like this: Coin toss decicing which Poe goes first - taunt + tm reduction - roflstomp.
  • This game lacks any real differentiation in character builds that one can find in deep MMO/RPG games, and it is too bad.

I totally agree, I miss that.
  • TVF wrote: »
    I think @Kyno is pretty good.

What you did there..
    I see it.
  • I dislike mods, likely because of the prevalence of speed. It’s one more layer of randomness that has been monetized and helps to divide between haves and have nots. If a character is better developed it should win against a lesser character; if they are equal it should come down to team comp/ strategy, etc., not the randomness of better mods even allowing for a lesser team to win. Even if mods were something I liked; the idea that people don’t even mod the characters correctly, foregoing the correct stats all in favor of speed is just dumb.
    I used to play GIJoeBattlegrounds and there was no modding built into it, but there was a way to develop characters and which stats you wanted to improve; however the meta was focused on each individual character’s strengths, not just one stupid stat the same across everyone in the game. I do also play MSF which as of today, I greatly prefer the predictable turn orders and team comps being built to work together in specific orders. I’m really not happy about ISO8 coming either, Stark tech is enough of a variable already.
  • Whatelse73
    2161 posts Member
    The problem with mods is they rely purely on RNG to have "good" mods. CG loves RNG, so they love mods because of the amount of RNG they require. Some people need to farm thousands to get a few good ones, others have RNG on their side and get solid mods for just a couple hundred farmed.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Mods are not bad, I haven't seen a video which says mods are bad for the game. People generally cuss at mods because of luck and how not having the best set effects them. In the original state mods were released, the bonuses were bonkers, all the community went crazy and they tuned them down a few days later. The prevelance of speed imo is a result of that rushed tune down. One can see the clone of this, raid shadow legends where mods are much more influential where most of the stats come from them instead of base gear stats.

As someone who doesn't care for the traditional claim of luck...it's all about the level of investment and statistics.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    One good mod is luck. An inventory of good mods is work.
  • Whatelse73 wrote: »
    The problem with mods is they rely purely on RNG to have "good" mods. CG loves RNG, so they love mods because of the amount of RNG they require. Some people need to farm thousands to get a few good ones, others have RNG on their side and get solid mods for just a couple hundred farmed.
    This doesn’t add up.

If you’re talking about earning a handful of >+20 Speed mods, maybe that’s true. But to suggest there are people who have got their mods sorted with only farming a couple of hundred mods is just wrong.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    This doesn’t add up.

If you’re talking about earning a handful of >+20 Speed mods, maybe that’s true. But to suggest there are people who have got their mods sorted with only farming a couple of hundred mods is just wrong.

+ the idea that you need only some 20+s and anything else doesn't matter is flatout wrong. It's easy to see how much someone invested in mods by their no of 10+ and 15+
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    This doesn’t add up.

+ the idea that you need only some 20+s and anything else doesn't matter is flatout wrong. It's easy to see how much someone invested in mods by their no of 10+ and 15+

I have 5.4m GP, Whatelse has 6m gp.

Speed+10 :: 476 vs 386
    Speed+15 :: 169 vs 102
    Speed+20 :: 38 vs 24

I'm on the left.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I think every game has their thing that will fall into this category. and I think mods are good for many reasons, one of the main ones being that they are "forever", a good mod you got 3 years ago is still riding around on one of your top toons today.

as with many things in this game a good roster of mods take a long time to build and takes a fair amount of effort to curate. This can definitely turn people off, because there is no "one good way" to manage your catalog and curate it, leaving it so open can lead to mistakes and misunderstandings.

I didn't play for long, but reading about MSF and the red stars, I kind of think they are on the same level, pure RNG but very deterministic in your game play, but they are only linked to where they are placed there is no transfer. (I could be wrong here by the way, its just a thought I had when looking into things)
  • TVF wrote: »
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    This doesn’t add up.

I have 5.4m GP, Whatelse has 6m gp.

Speed+10 :: 476 vs 386
    Speed+15 :: 169 vs 102
    Speed+20 :: 38 vs 24

I'm on the left.
    These “mods are RNG” debates usually have the same outcome.

Player A accuses player B of being luckier than them, wrongly suggesting that player B has got better mods despite spending less resource on them.

But, inevitably, player A has put fewer coins in the slot machine.

@TVF does 3x50 refreshes farming mods every single day. I usually do, but will forego this if my crystals are drawn elsewhere.

5s9oomnqwi36.jpeg

When I compare me with Whatelse, I obviously put a bit more into mods than he does.
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Mods would be fine if they never put speed secondaries on them.

Some of the modern kits and mechanics kind of help (GAS & 501st) but most of the time speed becomes the only deciding factor in a lot of the past metas.
  • cboath7
    459 posts Member
    Adamklark wrote: »
    tbh there are so many time/money and rng gates that I don't want one more. starting from drop rates to raid rewards it feels bad you fall back because bad rng mods

I find it a crock that speed is the all important everything and I see teams with multiple toons with **** near all +20 speed mods and I think i have maybe 2 or 3 in my entire account after 2.5 years.

That's what makes them a bit of a joke to me. They don't let you 'craft' teams or toons, it's the all important everything. GP doens't matter. Not even relics matter that much. DR team vs DR team, whoever has the fastest badstilla wins 95% of the time. I'll take out a team with +20K GP if mines faster and i'll lose to a team -20K if mine's slower. It's really the determining factor every time.