Are mods that bad?

Replies

• TVF
    36591 posts Member
    cboath7 wrote: »
    Adamklark wrote: »
    tbh there are so many time/money and rng gates that I don't want one more. starting from drop rates to raid rewards it feels bad you fall back because bad rng mods

I find it a crock that speed is the all important everything and I see teams with multiple toons with **** near all +20 speed mods and I think i have maybe 2 or 3 in my entire account after 2.5 years.

That's what makes them a bit of a joke to me. They don't let you 'craft' teams or toons, it's the all important everything. GP doens't matter. Not even relics matter that much. DR team vs DR team, whoever has the fastest badstilla wins 95% of the time. I'll take out a team with +20K GP if mines faster and i'll lose to a team -20K if mine's slower. It's really the determining factor every time.

They're usually a joke to those who haven't put effort and good choices into them.

Have you?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Mods are rng but it also depends on your commitment to them as well. Knowing which mods are best to slice and upgrade will also help. I'm OCD as heck with my mods and when I first starting playing 2 years ago I watched many videos to help me get started with the game. Mods were the only part I listened to so I went with it. Every single day, 3 refreshes (6 the first year) and I'm refreshing mod store couple times a day if I have extra crystals. Mods are imo the most important aspect in the game and they can an and will help you defeat metas without having the metas. They are "meta thumpers". 2 years and here are mineupm07fu13800.jpg
    7vnnmmsu71yt.jpg
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Mods are rng but it also depends on your commitment to them as well. Knowing which mods are best to slice and upgrade will also help. I'm OCD as heck with my mods and when I first starting playing 2 years ago I watched many videos to help me get started with the game. Mods were the only part I listened to so I went with it. Every single day, 3 refreshes (6 the first year) and I'm refreshing mod store couple times a day if I have extra crystals. Mods are imo the most important aspect in the game and they can an and will help you defeat metas without having the metas. They are "meta thumpers". 2 years and here are mineupm07fu13800.jpg
    7vnnmmsu71yt.jpg

That's pretty high investment for a late comer to a party and it shows.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    BryGuy2k wrote: »
    Mods would be fine if they never put speed secondaries on them.

Some of the modern kits and mechanics kind of help (GAS & 501st) but most of the time speed becomes the only deciding factor in a lot of the past metas.

without speed it would end up being a lot of RNG decided battles. if it wasn't for mods we wouldn't have many of the counters we have to past and present metas.

while you are correct about many of the past metas in mirror matches, most players dont mirror past metas, they counter them. so there are ways around the "only speed matters" (which was never 100% true anyway)

This just shows the versatility and necessity of mods in this game.
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    Mods are rng but it also depends on your commitment to them as well. Knowing which mods are best to slice and upgrade will also help. I'm OCD as heck with my mods and when I first starting playing 2 years ago I watched many videos to help me get started with the game. Mods were the only part I listened to so I went with it. Every single day, 3 refreshes (6 the first year) and I'm refreshing mod store couple times a day if I have extra crystals. Mods are imo the most important aspect in the game and they can an and will help you defeat metas without having the metas. They are "meta thumpers". 2 years and here are mineupm07fu13800.jpg
    7vnnmmsu71yt.jpg

That's pretty high investment for a late comer to a party and it shows.

Thanks bud. They saved my rear on numerous occasions let me tell ya lol
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    xGriiMErZ wrote: »
    Speed, speed is why mods are so bad. Speed blows everything else out of the water, why get more health when yoy could take 2 more turns and kill the guy that was gonna kill you? If they removed speed and made other stats alot better, then it would sort alot of issues with certain squads

No because as people say over and over, having everything at the same speed is a nightmare.

Farm more mods.
  • is the argument being presented in this thread? " My inventory is short on speed mods, therefore they are bad for the game." That is not a very good argument to get rid of mods.
  • Mods are rng but it also depends on your commitment to them as well. Knowing which mods are best to slice and upgrade will also help. I'm OCD as heck with my mods and when I first starting playing 2 years ago I watched many videos to help me get started with the game. Mods were the only part I listened to so I went with it. Every single day, 3 refreshes (6 the first year) and I'm refreshing mod store couple times a day if I have extra crystals. Mods are imo the most important aspect in the game and they can an and will help you defeat metas without having the metas. They are "meta thumpers". 2 years and here are mineupm07fu13800.jpg
    7vnnmmsu71yt.jpg
    Those are impressive numbers for a 2 year player. Kudos.
  • BryGuy2k
    198 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Kyno wrote: »
    BryGuy2k wrote: »
    Mods would be fine if they never put speed secondaries on them.

Some of the modern kits and mechanics kind of help (GAS & 501st) but most of the time speed becomes the only deciding factor in a lot of the past metas.

without speed it would end up being a lot of RNG decided battles. if it wasn't for mods we wouldn't have many of the counters we have to past and present metas.

while you are correct about many of the past metas in mirror matches, most players dont mirror past metas, they counter them. so there are ways around the "only speed matters" (which was never 100% true anyway)

This just shows the versatility and necessity of mods in this game.

This is an ironic comment given the fact that every SLKR counter is getting patched by CG (other than Rey which needs 4 toons from previous meta teams - none of whom are Resistance)

How about any counter previous to new meta teams?

Allowed counters are dictated by CG when an adequate amount of time has elapsed.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Speed, speed is why mods are so bad. Speed blows everything else out of the water, why get more health when yoy could take 2 more turns and kill the guy that was gonna kill you? If they removed speed and made other stats alot better, then it would sort alot of issues with certain squads

No because as people say over and over, having everything at the same speed is a nightmare.

Farm more mods.

With someone with plenty of 20+ speed mods, I hate speed, alot of people do, having stats tjat would impack more such as dogde chance, counter chance, health steal, would made better stats than speed

Dodge chance :vomit:
  • cboath7
    461 posts Member
    tbh there are so many time/money and rng gates that I don't want one more. starting from drop rates to raid rewards it feels bad you fall back because bad rng mods

I find it a crock that speed is the all important everything and I see teams with multiple toons with **** near all +20 speed mods and I think i have maybe 2 or 3 in my entire account after 2.5 years.

That's what makes them a bit of a joke to me. They don't let you 'craft' teams or toons, it's the all important everything. GP doens't matter. Not even relics matter that much. DR team vs DR team, whoever has the fastest badstilla wins 95% of the time. I'll take out a team with +20K GP if mines faster and i'll lose to a team -20K if mine's slower. It's really the determining factor every time.

They're usually a joke to those who haven't put effort and good choices into them.

Have you?

I don't obsess put i put in the effort. Like i said, the problem is that' it exists it's that it's really all that matters.In mirror teams, a team of R5 shouldn't lose to a team of G12's. Period. But it's really easy with how speed works here.

Also, typically, the 'put in the effort' guys are usually and the high end of the spectrum as well, spending well and raking in a good number of crystals per day.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

Have you?

I don't obsess put i put in the effort. Like i said, the problem is that' it exists it's that it's really all that matters.In mirror teams, a team of R5 shouldn't lose to a team of G12's. Period. But it's really easy with how speed works here.

Also, typically, the 'put in the effort' guys are usually and the high end of the spectrum as well, spending well and raking in a good number of crystals per day.

Typically those with the better stuff will be those who have more resources (spending/arena income). Is that counterintuitive?

But there are many people who simply doesn't invest enough in mods within their resources too. If it's such a priority, don't farm that stun gun or your next g13, instead put that in mods. Not investing in mods drives your gp up and you start meeting stronger competition. In each gac round I bot the competition. Both those that went above and beyond and tried to lowball modding are immediately apperant. There's an average and I'm sailing fine a bit above that average with persistent 3*50 daily investment (at 6m+ gp)
  • rickertron
    326 posts Member
    edited July 2020

Have you?

I agree with the, "put in the effort guys" and I am not a high end player. I wasted time on useless toons, i leave some toons unfinished, I collect toons I like, but also collect usefull toons, i rank between 90 and 180 on any given day in my arena shard, In GAC i am about to move up to div 2 but have been stomped on lately in my last few matches, although this last round i have stomped a couple of opponents, nowhere near a GL, and there are times when I put no effort into my game and times when i am ultra focused. Generally my experience in this game has shown me that my results are better when i am more focused and put more care into my decision making.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I'm curious to know what obsessing over mods means lol.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Spreadsheets, strict rules for slicing and hoarding mats perhaps? ;)
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I don't have a spreadsheet for mods lol.

Nor strict rules, their more like guildlines.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    not fixing typo and risking the spam filter
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

I don't have a spreadsheet for mods lol.

Nor strict rules, their more like guildlines.
    Bit surprised. You have them for everything else. :D

Pirates have guidelines, you have rules. :p
  • MetaThumper
    496 posts Member
    edited July 2020

Well then step into my office and I'll fill you in on it lmfao
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I've worked hard with mods, TVF has good guidelines that were in line with what I knew. I think the best info he gave was absolutely buy as many chances at them as you can get. Don't buy bad stuff from the store. Don't slice questionables. Event mods have been nice occasionally. It's all RNG, get the N up.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

I've worked hard with mods, TVF has good guidelines that were in line with what I knew. I think the best info he gave was absolutely buy as many chances at them as you can get. Don't buy bad stuff from the store. Don't slice questionables. Event mods have been nice occasionally. It's all RNG, get the N up.
    For sure. I am well aware how good his mod collection is and a lot of opponents I run across in GAC could benefit from his rules, er guidelines.

I'm just pulling his leg because he is rather meticulous in his planning whereas I am much more freewheeling and impulsive. :D
  • Not sure if people are aware but this is pretty much the system that I've used in the past 2 years and it works very well. Hopefully it can help someone out there that isn't sure. He has I think 3 or 4 more videos regarding mods that are all superb. https://youtu.be/DPKsVWqlG6E
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Mods are the best friends of F2P players.

This is one aspect of this game whales cannot influence (at least not completely). RNG for sure, but it is also about persistence. Thanks to mods, F2P has a realistic chance to turn the tide in PvP against someone who might have spent cash to reach to the same gp level but who did not spend the same amount of time managing his mods.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Yup. No free lunches with mods. You have to put the time and effort in to get good results.
  • DubbQ
    92 posts Member

Have you?

Being able to manipulate turn order through speed is the greatest thing there is for this game and allows for lower teams countering stronger teams or get the upper hand in a mirror. If the turn order is always the same, the game is going to be boring af as you will enter every battle knowing yhe result (my team has level higher so I will win)
    Just think how boring GAC would be. Just put a meta team on defense and it stops there.

Maybe it would be a solution to bump up some of the other stats on mods or add stuff like counter chance but I think we need speed for sure
  • The problem as I see it:

1. Speed is the only stat that matters (mostly)
    2. Because of the above, most mods are garbage
    3. Managing mods in the UI is painful, it’s improved with updates but it’s still not good
    4. Too many events give out garbage mods that clog up your inventory
    5. Because the inventory has a cap you have to go through and manually clear out all the useless mods (most of which I never even have the time to look at before selling)
    6. Mod farming is super boring.

If there was a script that maxed all your mods and removed anything that didn’t hit your criteria, that would be the dream.

Example:
    If Secondary stat does not equal speed
    Sell mod
    Else if Secondary speed stat is less than “Y”
    sell mod
    Else
    Keep mod

• Eddiemundie
    1070 posts Member
    Mod loadouts were a huge improvement, anyone who remembers what it was like without them would agree I think.

A roster-wide loadout is my big QoL request in the game. I'd love to hit a button and have all my mods revert to a preassigned state.

As far as getting good mods, the game rewards perseverance and smart choices on how to obtain mods and which mods to slice. The system has to have RNG built in, but the more mods you get and the smarter you are about how you use your resources (credits, ship credits, and slicing mats), the better your mods will be.

I think the key issue is how rng plays too big a role in mods. While they have definitely dialed down the importance of speed, when it comes to TW and GAC, speed of your older meta toons (eg dr jkr rex) is still a significant factor.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Mod loadouts were a huge improvement, anyone who remembers what it was like without them would agree I think.

A roster-wide loadout is my big QoL request in the game. I'd love to hit a button and have all my mods revert to a preassigned state.

As far as getting good mods, the game rewards perseverance and smart choices on how to obtain mods and which mods to slice. The system has to have RNG built in, but the more mods you get and the smarter you are about how you use your resources (credits, ship credits, and slicing mats), the better your mods will be.

I think the key issue is how rng plays too big a role in mods. While they have definitely dialed down the importance of speed, when it comes to TW and GAC, speed of your older meta toons (eg dr jkr rex) is still a significant factor.

Hard disagree about RNG. It's obviously a factor, but those who claim it's too much of a factor usually just haven't worked on theirs as much or as optimally.