What counters Geonosians?

Title: What counters Geonosians? I know people usually recommend Darth Traya with zeta lead but I won't have her for a while. I've looked at: https://swgohcounters.com/#/5v5 but it seems generic. I know Jawas can counter Genos too but I don't want to work on that squad.

Replies

• A strong empire squad does pretty good. I recommend having several characters with aoe abilities. Ep, vader, and tarkin make a good start for early game. Throw thrawn in there and a good tank and you probably have a good counter.

Of course mods do matter. If you can have your vader fast enough to go first, it's almost a sure win if you play it right and you're not to under geared. If not it depends on rng. If they kill of vader or ep too early, then it may go south.

With Vader's rework this only make it more viable. I haven't tried it since the rework as I always undersize geos with traya and save vader for other teams but it should work.
  • Palp lead, fast thrawn, vader with his new zeta. 2 other sith or empire. Fracture the brute. Even better if you have bastilla fallen.
  • T1m0601
    211 posts Member
    Seperatist Droids
  • G12+ Nest under Q'ira lead works against G12 bugs
  • Nightsisters
  • My team is the EP lead with R3 Vader. Viciously beat the opposing bugs in this GAC, I was suitably impressed. Your mileage may vary.
    0KrDz3s.jpg
  • What zetas would be needed on an empire squad to beat the Geonosians? Also, can bounty hunters counter genos? Mando lead, greef, jango, bossk, boba
  • Palps leadership, mm on Vader.
  • Guar
    44 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    I took out an all G12 Geo team in TW with a two-man squad:
    Lead: G11 Emperor Palpatine (no zetas)
    R3 Darth Vader (all zetas)

The Geo’s took 1 turn, and that was after most of them were dead. Vader is vicious.

The idea is that Palp provides TM gain on Vader’s Force Crush, then Merciless, then Saber Throw Brute to get rid of him and Basic everyone else. Once Merciless ends, Force Crush, Saber Throw then use Merciless again.
    Since there are 6 enemies, you basically take unlimited turns.
    Just be sure that Vader takes the first turn, maybe fill the other slots with fodder Sith/Empire for the speed boost since he gains 8 Speed for each Empire or Sith ally (Palp counts as both so +16 speed).

The only zeta you NEED for this is Merciless Massacre.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Also, can bounty hunters counter genos? Mando lead, greef, jango, bossk, boba
    The problem with Hunters is that they need to get their payouts to unlock their full potential and that can be rather tricky vs bugs. You also lack a way to shut down their mass assists which can wear you down really quickly.

I don't know if Mando and Greef can change that significantly but from past experience it's not a match-up I like.
  • Guar wrote: »
    I took out an all G12 Geo team in TW with a two-man squad:
    Lead: G11 Emperor Palpatine (no zetas)
    R3 Darth Vader (all zetas)

The Geo’s took 1 turn, and that was after most of them were dead. Vader is vicious.

The idea is that Palp provides TM gain on Vader’s Force Crush, then Merciless, then Saber Throw Brute to get rid of him and Basic everyone else. Once Merciless ends, Force Crush, Saber Throw then use Merciless again.
    Since there are 6 enemies, you basically take unlimited turns.
    Just be sure that Vader takes the first turn, maybe fill the other slots with fodder Sith/Empire for the speed boost since he gains 8 Speed for each Empire or Sith ally (Palp counts as both so +16 speed).

The only zeta you NEED for this is Merciless Massacre.

You need EP's lead zeta too, otherwise you won't get the TM gains in between MMs.
  • What zetas would be needed on an empire squad to beat the Geonosians? Also, can bounty hunters counter genos? Mando lead, greef, jango, bossk, boba

Believe it or not you just "need" Palp lead. You also "need" that TM train desperately
  • Guar
    44 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    You need EP's lead zeta too, otherwise you won't get the TM gains in between MMs.

It helps, but it’s not a necessity.

You get 100% TM on a finishing blow with Saber Throw, 100% TM on Force Crush, and Bonus Turns with every basic. All you need to do is be selective on your Saber Throw to make sure you get a KO, which isn’t a problem as you’ll have stacked up 8+ debuffs by the time MM expires.
    EP’s lead zeta is mostly beneficial to the rest of the squad, as by the time MM is over, all other Sith/Empire will be at 100% TM. Vader doesn’t need it against Geo’s since they’re a 6 man squad. It’s just some extra oomph.

Also worth noting that I defeated G12 Geo’s on multiple occasions without EP zeta and just recently upgraded to it. Extremely helpful in Arena so I see your point there but against Geo’s the TM flow was fine without it and if OP wants to conserve a zeta and still have a counter to Geo’s, then I wouldn’t bother.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    Honestly, with how common a relic Geo squad is at this point, Traya isn't even a great counter anymore unless you also have the whole team at relics. You'll likely win, but you'll bleed a lot of banners while you wait for the Geos to chew themselves up off her leadership unless you have a very fast, very tanky Sion.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

kc7xf7gz3qng.png

I’ve seen a few bounty hunter comps that can counter but most require decent relic investments. If you’re looking to use hunters and don’t mind the gear/relic investment, I currently use this squad to easily take out geos with decent relics. I don’t have mando and Greef high enough to try the squad you mentioned but it’s possible it could work.

As others have mentioned nightsisters and empire also work decently.
  • chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    For those of you going for Rey, zFinn/Poe/Holdo/VSH/VSC is also a great Geo counter (they do probably need to be relic'd, though, hence the Rey caveat). Poe needs to be faster than GBA, but other than that, it's pretty light on mod reqs - everyone else can be in the 200-230 range. Potency and offense are probably more important than speed.
  • I guess I'll have to invest into my Empire squad, thanks all.
  • Bulldog1205
    3573 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »
    Honestly, with how common a relic Geo squad is at this point, Traya isn't even a great counter anymore unless you also have the whole team at relics. You'll likely win, but you'll bleed a lot of banners while you wait for the Geos to chew themselves up off her leadership unless you have a very fast, very tanky Sion.

You don’t really need Sion to be fast. Geos attack the lowest hp character. Mod Sion for crit avoidance and defense so he is tanky but has less hp than Traya. Then he has a virtual taunt.
  • Jarvind wrote: »

But who using that counter would not do that to their Sion?

That's similar to the talk above about "not needing EP z lead", who the hell wouldn't z 1 of the most transformative z in the game? I mean, yes now if you had to lick between Vader lead and his Vader would be reasonable but having an insane TM train is gold
  • Guar
    44 posts Member
    Jarvind wrote: »

But who using that counter would not do that to their Sion?

That's similar to the talk above about "not needing EP z lead", who the hell wouldn't z 1 of the most transformative z in the game? I mean, yes now if you had to lick between Vader lead and his Vader would be reasonable but having an insane TM train is gold

You’re missing the point of the thread. Nobody is discrediting Palp’s z lead. It’s fantastic. However, this thread is about a Geo counter, and for Geo’s, Palp’s zeta is not necessary and I can personally attest to this as I ran against Geo’s without Palp’s zeta for awhile.
    Against other squads, it could be the difference between win or lose, but against Geo’s, no, because having 1 extra enemy (Brute) gives Vader an extra turn to completely cool down MM.

MM has a cooldown of 8 turns, so:
    Force Crush > MM (Start Cooldown) > Saber Throw Brute (KO, CD 7) > Basic other five Geo’s (End MM, CD 2) > Force Crush (CD 1) > Saber Throw Brood (KO, CD 0) > MM and finish the rest.
  • Isn't MM 9 turn cooldown? Or us it 8 with zeta?
  • chionophile
    1097 posts Member
    edited July 2020
    Isn't MM 9 turn cooldown? Or us it 8 with zeta?

No, it's nine, but you get to take 7 turns in a row after you use it against a full Geo team.

Edit: Plus a couple more if you can chain some TM gains together (like a kill on culling blade, or bonus TM from a zEP lead)
  • DonPuto
    373 posts Member
    Palp lead worked for me last time
  • Guar
    44 posts Member

No, it's nine, but you get to take 7 turns in a row after you use it against a full Geo team.

Edit: Plus a couple more if you can chain some TM gains together (like a kill on culling blade, or bonus TM from a zEP lead)

Oops. Thanks for the correction.