More defensive slots on GAC!

Prev1
GJO
172 posts Member
edited July 2020
Since GAC started, we had an addition of 2 GL teams (plus the associates, required for events), JKL, rebirth of empire with Vader, rebirth of rebels with 3pac, 2 new capital ships and a bunch of crewless tanks.
In spite of that, GAC is still with the archaic same number of slots, 7 for foot defense, 1 for ships. It's time to improve this, in order to use better the full roster. You'll never play again with Ewoks or even the new ships, since you'll use Malev/Nego for that.

IMHO, GAC nowadays should be 9/10 defensive slots on foot and 2 defensive slots for ships.

Thoughts?

Edit: Mispelling

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    We are seeing them add more ships and round out other fleets. I see this as the preamble to adding more fleet stuff or defensive slots in TW and/or GAC.

GAC and TW are not really meant to be a test of your full roster, but more of your skill to build the toolbox to beat your opponent and the strategy of who goes where. I dont really see a need to expand this but understand the desire. People have been asking for more divisions at the top end, so maybe this could be incorporated into a change like that.

There is a difference between a strategic battle vs an endurance battle. I feel that an expansion of the teams needed would just lead to more fluff being put down vs making it more strategic.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I expect that when they get around to adding another division or two, the new division(s) will have more slots.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    We are seeing them add more ships and round out other fleets. I see this as the preamble to adding more fleet stuff or defensive slots in TW and/or GAC.

GAC and TW are not really meant to be a test of your full roster, but more of your skill to build the toolbox to beat your opponent and the strategy of who goes where. I dont really see a need to expand this but understand the desire. People have been asking for more divisions at the top end, so maybe this could be incorporated into a change like that.

There is a difference between a strategic battle vs an endurance battle. I feel that an expansion of the teams needed would just lead to more fluff being put down vs making it more strategic.

I do agree with you, but in the other hand, what's the point in having a Old Republic nice team if there's no place to usem them anyway?

The idea of "endurance GAC" it's not bad, though. Maybe one time we can have a extended GAC with up to 14 teams, where you'll need to figure out what you can do with your roster. Maybe beating an Ewok team with your Rogue One team, or using Qi'ra lead.

That would be nice.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    how about less spots overall, gac is a big timesuck anyway
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    GJO wrote: »

I do agree with you, but in the other hand, what's the point in having a Old Republic nice team if there's no place to usem them anyway?

The idea of "endurance GAC" it's not bad, though. Maybe one time we can have a extended GAC with up to 14 teams, where you'll need to figure out what you can do with your roster. Maybe beating an Ewok team with your Rogue One team, or using Qi'ra lead.

That would be nice.

But that statement begs the question, why gear them up if your not going to use them? Nothing is stopping you from using them, or gearing them because you will use them, but not sure the game mode should change just because you have them. (Not to say we couldnt use another game mode to make more use of our roster)

I agree, but that would be different than what GAC is now, and would end up being who has more, and less about who knows how to use it better.
  • Gifafi wrote: »

Yeah. It was pretty boring pretty fast. I don't really enjoy it and I have a feeling that is a growing sentiment. A larger and larger amount of my opponents don't even attack anymore
  • Kyno wrote: »

That would be nice.

But that statement begs the question, why gear them up if your not going to use them? Nothing is stopping you from using them, or gearing them because you will use them, but not sure the game mode should change just because you have them. (Not to say we couldnt use another game mode to make more use of our roster)

I agree, but that would be different than what GAC is now, and would end up being who has more, and less about who knows how to use it better.

You would gear them up because they are need to get a legendary character and you want to get that legendary character but the requirements tell you to gear up characters you won't use so you gear those characters up anyway to get the legendary character.

You could also be gearing up characters you aren't going to use because you want to have all the characters in the game at a certain gear.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

That would be nice.

You would gear them up because they are need to get a legendary character and you want to get that legendary character but the requirements tell you to gear up characters you won't use so you gear those characters up anyway to get the legendary character.

You could also be gearing up characters you aren't going to use because you want to have all the characters in the game at a certain gear.

and if those toons are in a good enough spot to be useful from the event, why not just use them. Not sure you need to change the structure to do that. (that was kind of my point)

gearing toons to a point for no real plan is an interesting spot to put yourself in, but i'm sure people do it.
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited July 2020

and if those toons are in a good enough spot to be useful from the event, why not just use them. Not sure you need to change the structure to do that. (that was kind of my point)

gearing toons to a point for no real plan is an interesting spot to put yourself in, but i'm sure people do it.

Some of the toons you don't use that are required for legendary events are required at relic 3 (example Lando Calrissian for Jedi Knight Luke) meaning you have to gear them to the max gear level plus the relic 3 which means you can't just stop gearing up that character and play the event with gear 11 or 12 characters because the event requires gear 13 relic 3 characters

All that some people want are somewhere to use those characters they don't used that they spent so much time gearing and relicing up.

Of course people do that if they want to collect all the characters and gear them up because they want to have all the character at (for example) gear 10 or higher.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Some of the toons you don't use that are required for legendary events are required at relic 3 (example Lando Calrissian for Jedi Knight Luke) meaning you have to gear them to the max gear level plus the relic 3 which means you can't just stop gearing up that character and play the event with gear 11 or 12 characters because the event requires gear 13 relic 3 characters

All that some people want are somewhere to use those characters they don't used that they spent so much time gearing and relicing up.

Of course people do that if they want to collect all the characters and gear them up because they want to have all the character at (for example) gear 10 or higher.

As I said, I get that and we do need that, but we need " that" and not to change every game mode into that. if you just expand GAC, then what you get is more endurance and less strategy, becuase players are using toons they have not ones they would be building up for specific intent. the strategy of what makes GAC a real battle is that its really just about the top teams you have made and "know how to use". more spots doesn't really play into that (since gear is a grind)

I mean yes that could be a strategy, but it seems like a bad place to put yourself for no intent or purpose. you can easily hoard and not waste the gear for no reason. G10 can uses alot of stun cuffs/guns and carbanti. farming toons up to 7* i get (doesn't necessarily need to be unlocked)
  • Liath wrote: »
    I expect that when they get around to adding another division or two, the new division(s) will have more slots.

They should be doing divisions every 500M GP imho....
  • TheMaster12345
    607 posts Member
    edited July 2020

As I said, I get that and we do need that, but we need " that" and not to change every game mode into that. if you just expand GAC, then what you get is more endurance and less strategy, becuase players are using toons they have not ones they would be building up for specific intent. the strategy of what makes GAC a real battle is that its really just about the top teams you have made and "know how to use". more spots doesn't really play into that (since gear is a grind)

I mean yes that could be a strategy, but it seems like a bad place to put yourself for no intent or purpose. you can easily hoard and not waste the gear for no reason. G10 can uses alot of stun cuffs/guns and carbanti. farming toons up to 7* i get (doesn't necessarily need to be unlocked)

People just want a game mode that they can use all their characters in. It is a good thing CG is going to add galactic challenges as they said their GC are going to challenge you to use different kinds of squads.

For the gearing up random characters, I was just using that as a reason why someone might gear up characters they don't normally use (I certainly wouldn't gear up characters I wouldn't use).

Also, what's with all the "thats" in your first sentence, I don't understand what they stand for. By that you mean the characters, correct?
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »

It does take away time that could be spent complaining about lack of content.

Crap no. I wait eagerly for the attack phase just for it to be over in 20 minutes and then wait 48 more hours until i can do it again. FUN
  • I think using more teams leads to greater strategy. At this point we have a good idea of how to use our top teams and we face the same teams all the time because the top of everyone's roster is similar since we all try to get the meta teams and the characters required to unlock those teams.

If my opponent and I need use some G8-10 characters, we'll have to think carefully about how to use them and we might face some teams we never see anymore. It also helps reward those players who have a broad character base, since they often get punished by the lean rosters in the current format.
  • There's nothing to stop you from using characters that are less used in gac. If you want to use r7 tuskins you can. I wouldn't but you can.

As far as using characters that you had to level for gls or jedi Luke, the real thing they need to do is rework or add some complementary characters that make them into a team that is more useful. The new chewpio seems to do that with some of the jedi Luke toons as you can probably make another decent rebel team out of them.
  • I once saw a guy using 4 Chewies and Mission. It was brutal.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Potato211 wrote: »
    I once saw a guy using 4 Chewies and Mission. It was brutal.

Sure one wasn't Z?
  • CCyrilS wrote: »

Sure one wasn't Z?

OH Yeah. I meant to say 4 Wookies but i typed Chewies for some reason. Yeah it was Z, MV, Chewie, Veteran Chewie and Vandor Chewie i believe.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

Not sure what you are basing your opinion what GAC is not meant to be. It used to be exactly "that" in the ga times and at the beginning of gac and still is for lower divisions. The reason it became a more restricted band of banner chasing is merely because cg waited too long to expand it.

Since divisions are a static thing and there's a limit to the amount of teams that can feasibly fit within a gp threshold, the solution is evidently adding more. It's not "oh let's bind these two demands together", they are natively bound to eachother...with the exception of fleets. Fleets just matured enough to expand the number of slots towards lower divisions (the gp thresholds of where div 1-2 currently is besides adding more divisions)
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    CCyrilS wrote: »

Sure one wasn't Z?

OH Yeah. I meant to say 4 Wookies but i typed Chewies for some reason. Yeah it was Z, MV, Chewie, Veteran Chewie and Vandor Chewie i believe.

probably cwc lead
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    Here's some numbers sampled from player self reports when they are at 0 banners and on the first gac weeks. There hasn't been a density problem for quite a while.

cvxxi6cg8gld.jpg

Sure one wasn't Z?

probably cwc lead

Memory is fuzzy as hell on that fight, it was last year and only once. I guess that makes more sense since VSC has a unique centered on Han and Resistance so it would be kind, KIND of a waste.

I feel stupid now for not remembering
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Not sure what you are basing your opinion what GAC is not meant to be. It used to be exactly "that" in the ga times and at the beginning of gac and still is for lower divisions. The reason it became a more restricted band of banner chasing is merely because cg waited too long to expand it.

Since divisions are a static thing and there's a limit to the amount of teams that can feasibly fit within a gp threshold, the solution is evidently adding more. It's not "oh let's bind these two demands together", they are natively bound to eachother...with the exception of fleets. Fleets just matured enough to expand the number of slots towards lower divisions (the gp thresholds of where div 1-2 currently is besides adding more divisions)

You propose a solution, but not everyone agrees there is a problem.

Kyno admitted he could see the desire for more def spots, and made a logical suggestion that it be incorporated into another division (which is something a lot of ppl actually ask for, so makes perfect sense). This satisfies your issue, and theirs.

Beyond that, you are trying to solve a problem that, frankly, most ppl wouldn't agree even exists.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

You propose a solution, but not everyone agrees there is a problem.

Kyno admitted he could see the desire for more def spots, and made a logical suggestion that it be incorporated into another division (which is something a lot of ppl actually ask for, so makes perfect sense). This satisfies your issue, and theirs.

Beyond that, you are trying to solve a problem that, frankly, most ppl wouldn't agree even exists.

I was clear in the message that I'm not talking about a universal problem. This is a high gp problem, thus automatically tied to divisions and lack of some at the top end.

For problem not existing; I bet you were around at ga times and you're an old timer seeing by the post count. So you know matches weren't as streamlined then, it had more variation depending on peeps secondary team choices. On competetive play at high gp, it has been reduced to banner efficiency. I make kyber each time...going through the borefest. If you don't agree, what's your outlook and why is the recent high gp gac norms better than how it was at ga, early gac times? (not talking about matchmaking whatsoever, so let's not cross streams)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Matchmaking is based on the number of toons "you should use". that is what i'm basing this on. I know its more fun to blame CG for a perceived issue, but that doesnt make it true. This is why I said its based on the tool box you make. A player with "the perfect top X(number of toons)" can be the best and it doesnt matter what the rest of their roster looks like.

This is a game mode that has specific rules and limitation, someone can check all the boxes and doesnt' need to have every toon or even the best toons if they know the tools they have and can make it work. It is and has always been about banner chasing, thats why they have all the different ways you can earn points and also have feats.
  • So it’s not about being the best...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    IronCross wrote: »
    So it’s not about being the best...

There is a thread about "the best" player.....people seem to think his roster should not be giving him that title. he seems to be able to make it work.

its all about the definition of "the best". if GAC was designed as a long term event that actually pitted each player against each other or some other tournament style that allowed players to play more accross the board, i'm sure we would see different results, but with the style the way it is and the restrictions we see, players like that will always be among the top.

We all built our rosters for what was before GAC, as we have moved on after GAC is a thing, our rosters reflect that, and that is more so for players that really like that game mode.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member

Matchmaking is based on the number of toons "you should use". that is what i'm basing this on. I know its more fun to blame CG for a perceived issue, but that doesnt make it true. This is why I said its based on the tool box you make. A player with "the perfect top X(number of toons)" can be the best and it doesnt matter what the rest of their roster looks like.

This is a game mode that has specific rules and limitation, someone can check all the boxes and doesnt' need to have every toon or even the best toons if they know the tools they have and can make it work. It is and has always been about banner chasing, thats why they have all the different ways you can earn points and also have feats.

What relation does matchmaking or amounts of toons you should use have to do with it? Just like lower divisions matchmaking is adapted to number of slots. I'm asking for more divisions=slots like many people are. This is not a blame war like you claim, it's a request to gain their attention. Hopefully people stop sabotaging the effort as if more divisions are a bad thing. It should better happen sooner than later.

I don't take your "know your tools" rant seriously. I hit kyber everytime, so does the opponents I face in later weeks.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

What relation does matchmaking or amounts of toons you should use have to do with it? Just like lower divisions matchmaking is adapted to number of slots. I'm asking for more divisions=slots like many people are. This is not a blame war like you claim, it's a request to gain their attention. Hopefully people stop sabotaging the effort as if more divisions are a bad thing. It should better happen sooner than later.

I don't take your "know your tools" rant seriously. I hit kyber everytime, so does the opponents I face in later weeks.

I have never said more divisions are a bad thing, I actually proposed that in my initial post as a way to add more defensive positions. Its not a blame war, which is why i found it odd that you immediately blamed them for this "situation" like its a problem.

the tools refer to the toons you build up to make your O/D in a GAC match. completing feats is just an added ability that some can do considering some of them use "lower tier" characters or require traditionally defensive placed characters to be used on offence, which can require a "different strategy"

my points about a roster being built for GAC is not a rant, its how players that love that game mode are designing their rosters now, and newer players have been for some time. making kyber is not the only part of it, there is also a ranking there. some players like to have bragging rights.