Why can’t GAC have an exit button like TW?

Due to my phone lagging and then double clicking I ended up joining GAC to early and now won’t have my soon to be relic GAS available for GAC. This is super frustrating I understand that cheaters forced them to do the lock GAC at join, but they did the same thing with TW why did they only give us a leave button with one though. This seems like it would be a simple thing to fix and already is being used in one part of the game and would avoid a lot of player frustration.

Replies

• Too expensive
  • StarSon
    7435 posts Member
    As they have told us a few times now, it is because the matchmaking happens as soon as you click the button for GA, and TW happens at the end of the join period. As a result, you cannot back out of GAC once you click join.

The inability to backout is well known, and at this point if you click it early that's on you. I do wish they'd add a confirmation button though.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    As they have told us a few times now, it is because the matchmaking happens as soon as you click the button for GA, and TW happens at the end of the join period. As a result, you cannot back out of GAC once you click join.

The inability to backout is well known, and at this point if you click it early that's on you. I do wish they'd add a confirmation button though.

No, match-making doesn't happen as soon as you click join, divisions do.

There isn't a 'leave' button because CG doesn't care. Sounds harsh but that's the shortest and simplest summary. It is a problem that could have been fixed and hasn't.
  • Lysandrax wrote: »

There isn't a 'leave' button because CG doesn't care. Sounds harsh but that's the shortest and simplest summary. It is a problem that could have been fixed and hasn't.

According to their Feb Q&A, yes it does.

Q: Will you add a confirmation button for the gac registration or the chance to cancel and register again like it is with the TW registration?
    A: CG_Miller - We've looked into this in the past, and the task is bigger than most players realize. Once you register for the GAC we start the process of building the matchups immediately, and you can imagine the havoc one would wreck if players could drop in and out and in and out of the GAC while the game is trying to do some matchup heavy lifting. That said, it's oft-requested, so we'd like to find time to give the players some agency over this.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/225031/developer-q-a-02-27-2020#latest
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Lysandrax wrote: »

Everyone is assigned to a division when the GAC starts, not whenever they happen to click join for the first GA of the GAC.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Everyone is assigned to a division when the GAC starts, not whenever they happen to click join for the first GA of the GAC.

Wait, seriously? So if you were just above the division line when it started and took some mods off a few characters you didn't plan on using to bring you down a division, you'd still be in the upper division, just without the mods on those characters? That sucks.
  • Lysandrax
    1127 posts Member
    Not really seeing anything tbh
    "Start the process of building the mathups immediately" doesn't mean much and that's taking them at their word.
    They try to make it sound more complicated than the fact it just grabs players in sets of 8 stratified by their GP.

Either way here the second part of my first post still reigns true. CG's latest motto, Too hard, dont care.
    Had a solid year of it now, v healthy for the game.
  • StarSon
    7435 posts Member
    AM2Rainman wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Wait, seriously? So if you were just above the division line when it started and took some mods off a few characters you didn't plan on using to bring you down a division, you'd still be in the upper division, just without the mods on those characters? That sucks.

If you want to game the system, you have to know the timing.
    "Start the process of building the mathups immediately" doesn't mean much and that's taking them at their word.
    They try to make it sound more complicated than the fact it just grabs players in sets of 8 stratified by their GP.

How can we do anything except take them at their word? If that's when they say matchmaking happens, what proof do you have to convince anyone otherwise?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

How can we do anything except take them at their word? If that's when they say matchmaking happens, what proof do you have to convince anyone otherwise?
    The process of building matchups starts with:
    * snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP
    * add player to a pool of potentially eligible matches - probably just based on division & league which are the two boundaries it cannot match across

And if it were me coding the system, I would be sorting the matchmaking pools by GP as I was building them.

Then you just have to traverse each pool from highest GP to lowest, assigning groups of 8 but you wouldn't want to do that until the end of the signup window.

Attempting to actually form brackets dynamically as people join would be algorithmic insanity, even without a leave button.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP
    * add player to a pool of potentially eligible matches - probably just based on division & league which are the two boundaries it cannot match across

And if it were me coding the system, I would be sorting the matchmaking pools by GP as I was building them.

Then you just have to traverse each pool from highest GP to lowest, assigning groups of 8 but you wouldn't want to do that until the end of the signup window.

Attempting to actually form brackets dynamically as people join would be algorithmic insanity, even without a leave button.

Time is a commonly used factor to keep things from being predictable. If you only grouped by the GP factor you would leave yourself open to recreating groups repeatedly.

It may not be truly dynamic, they could just be running the grouping every few minutes or even seconds at busy times. They know the ideal GP spread they want a group to be, and I'm sure enough people join in short periods of time to make it work. Then the time each person joins would influence the group they face.
  • Lysandrax wrote: »

Truth being told here. They just don't care enough to fix it.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

Time is a commonly used factor to keep things from being predictable. If you only grouped by the GP factor you would leave yourself open to recreating groups repeatedly.
    Not really because in the week between GAC matchmakings every one of those rosters will have varying amounts of GP added so the next time that matchmaking happens they are likely to see new opponents even from a simple set sorted by GP
    It may not be truly dynamic, they could just be running the grouping every few minutes or even seconds at busy times. They know the ideal GP spread they want a group to be, and I'm sure enough people join in short periods of time to make it work. Then the time each person joins would influence the group they face.
    Sorting by matchmaking GP and going from top to bottom would give you the best matches possible by GP with minimal time effort.

Attempting to dynamically matchmake during signup would be orders of magnitude more complex and time consuming and struggle to get you brackets that are as close as a simple sorted set.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

Not really because in the week between GAC matchmakings every one of those rosters will have varying amounts of GP added so the next time that matchmaking happens they are likely to see new opponents even from a simple set sorted by GP
    Sorting by matchmaking GP and going from top to bottom would give you the best matches possible by GP with minimal time effort.

Attempting to dynamically matchmake during signup would be orders of magnitude more complex and time consuming and struggle to get you brackets that are as close as a simple sorted set.

Doing it all at once would be a lot more intensive of a process, over doing what you are describing multiple times in smaller groups. It's not complex, it just gives an order of randomness on top of everything else.
  • AM2Rainman wrote: »

According to their Feb Q&A, yes it does.

Q: Will you add a confirmation button for the gac registration or the chance to cancel and register again like it is with the TW registration?
    A: CG_Miller - We've looked into this in the past, and the task is bigger than most players realize. Once you register for the GAC we start the process of building the matchups immediately, and you can imagine the havoc one would wreck if players could drop in and out and in and out of the GAC while the game is trying to do some matchup heavy lifting. That said, it's oft-requested, so we'd like to find time to give the players some agency over this.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/225031/developer-q-a-02-27-2020#latest
    That's only an explanation for why there's no "leave and rejoin", but no direct answer on the question to at least give us a confirmation button that says "are you sure you want to join now".
  • Kyno wrote: »

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

Doing it all at once would be a lot more intensive of a process, over doing what you are describing multiple times in smaller groups. It's not complex, it just gives an order of randomness on top of everything else.

I understand that it would be a much more intensive process and if it is a time thing then take an hour between lock to assign them rather than just a few minutes
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited July 2020

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

Traversing a pre-sorted set and assigning smaller sets (of 8) is a straightforward and relatively cheap set of operations. And the pre-sorted set can be sub-divided for parallel processing to speed things up if necessary.

By contrast, trying to build the sets of 8 progressively over a 24 hour window with people joining throughout that window is algorithmically more complex and will require reworking of previously matched sets, perhaps repeatedly because when any given player joins, their best matching candidates may not have joined yet and the best ones available may have big GP differences or may be in full sets of 8 already. There are so many problems to deal with if you try this approach and the brackets you end up with will have wider matchmaking GP spreads which is undesirable.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

Traversing a pre-sorted set and assigning smaller sets (of 8) is a straightforward and relatively cheap set of operations. And the pre-sorted set can be sub-divided for parallel processing to speed things up if necessary.

By contrast, trying to build the sets of 8 progressively over a 24 hour window with people joining throughout that window is algorithmically more complex and will require reworking of previously matched sets, perhaps repeatedly because when any given player joins, their best matching candidates may not have joined yet and the best ones available may have big GP differences or may be in full sets of 8 already. There are so many problems to deal with if you try this approach and the brackets you end up with will have wider matchmaking GP spreads which is undesirable.

making it more complicated than it needs to be doesn't mean it actually is. There are many simple ways to do this.

I was merely saying that using the time a player joins as an added variable and starting matchmaking when you can is not only possible, but not a complicated task. as long as the fall in the desired spread, it doesn't matter. And they also account for this with bye weeks.

the top down approach would always put the bye in the lowest tier, which doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

making it more complicated than it needs to be doesn't mean it actually is. There are many simple ways to do this.

What? There is nothing simple about matchmaking a dynamically changing set of candidates. Nothing.
    I was merely saying that using the time a player joins as an added variable and starting matchmaking when you can is not only possible, but not a complicated task. as long as the fall in the desired spread, it doesn't matter. And they also account for this with bye weeks.
    It is both complex and computationally expensive because it requires you to search a large and growing data set for potential matches and potentially rearrange multiple existing match sets in order to give everyone a decent set of potential opponents. That means a given roster may be rematched multiple times over the course of the 24 hour window. The alternative would be a lot more brackets with less than 8 rosters and a lot more byes than we are seeing.
    the top down approach would always put the bye in the lowest tier, which doesn't seem to be the case.
    If they worked from highest to lowest, it would indeed give byes to the players with the lowest matchmaking GP and as I recall the people posting about obvious byes early in a GAC often point out the weakness of the roster involved.

I do not know for sure that CG are doing it this way but it would make a lot more sense than trying to do it dynamically as more people are joining.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

* snapshot roster
    * calculate top {x} GP

What? There is nothing simple about matchmaking a dynamically changing set of candidates. Nothing.
    It is both complex and computationally expensive because it requires you to search a large and growing data set for potential matches and potentially rearrange multiple existing match sets in order to give everyone a decent set of potential opponents. That means a given roster may be rematched multiple times over the course of the 24 hour window. The alternative would be a lot more brackets with less than 8 rosters and a lot more byes than we are seeing.
    If they worked from highest to lowest, it would indeed give byes to the players with the lowest matchmaking GP and as I recall the people posting about obvious byes early in a GAC often point out the weakness of the roster involved.

I do not know for sure that CG are doing it this way but it would make a lot more sense than trying to do it dynamically as more people are joining.

but they have said they are starting this process when you join and you seem to think thats not right.

you are making it way more complicated than it would need to be, it doesn't need to be so complicated and can still be done in a dynamic way.