Galactic challenges event [MERGE]

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Let's try to keep in mind:

GAC went through this exhibition and came out with a store. They already mentioned this in the post as a possibility.

This time period is meant to be a test run.

The length of time that is being used and changed throughout the runs is intentional for information and data gathering.

The number and type of feats we see are all subject to change and has been mentioned that they will be limited in this run.

"Why did it take this long?" - this was built from scratch with all new tools and built in a way to be more flexible. This run is also probably ment to be a test of some of that background stuff.

Let's try to keep all of this and other stuff in mind as we try to produce constructive feedback.
  • the idea of this needing a store is worse than the decent rewards being stuck behind paywalls. adding a store to this mess would just make it worse. i hope thats not the solution they have in mind.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Let's try to keep in mind:

GAC went through this exhibition and came out with a store. They already mentioned this in the post as a possibility.

This time period is meant to be a test run.

The length of time that is being used and changed throughout the runs is intentional for information and data gathering.

The number and type of feats we see are all subject to change and has been mentioned that they will be limited in this run.

"Why did it take this long?" - this was built from scratch with all new tools and built in a way to be more flexible. This run is also probably ment to be a test of some of that background stuff.

Let's try to keep all of this and other stuff in mind as we try to produce constructive feedback.

My only issue with what you are saying is this was their Flagship product on their new platform. They really hyped this to be something it wasn't. In fact, it's the same thing they have done the past 5 years only on a different platform. Not to mention if this truly is a "test run" then why relic gate the best (still poor) rewards. I am sorry, but that is just wrong on many levels.

Why not call it assault battles 2.0 with limited rewards for testing. The community would not be so enraged. This is once again about lazy game design and poor player base management/communication.

And for the record, CG's track record has not been that great, so it's hard to be optimistic these days.

• Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...
  • So about the event.
    The idea of modificators from environment, factions and stuff is good : keep it.
    The idea of having the exact same battle 7 times with raising difficulties is not good : change it.
    The idea of feats is correct but the rewards are still crappy : improve it.

We need a story, or a goal. Example : Death Star event => the goal is to reach detention cells.
    You begin in the dock bay, you have to take out the 1st battle in a matter of x seconds or the next battle in the hallway is harder (modifier/more troopers/...).
    On tier 3, you can choose either the elevator if you were good before or take a tougher path.
    Etc...

The reward should be scaled on your efficiency and choices and not because you have the correct full Rx faction team.
  • I wanted to provide some feedback on the release of Galactic Challenges. I'm aware that this is just an exhibition and may not be the final look but I think the below additions will hit closer to the mark that was intended.

1. Lore based locations and factions that have different enemy characters or ships for each tier, with cinematics between tiers to tell the lore story. Similar to the well received Jedi Knight Luke event. There's a lot that can be pulled from canon.

2. Remove the gear requirements for each tier. One of the most satisfying things about Journey Guide events is attempting to complete each level with under or lesser gear characters. I was able to use specific gear 11 toons in tier 5 but didn't qualify for the feat as they needed to be gear 12.

3. Include lore-based feats that are different per tier (and more than 3). Allowing the usage of our full roster is awesome, but include feats that if you use a specific story driven character (A jawa, sandperson, etc. for Tatooine) you get a special reward or currency for a new store.

4. Although the Galactic Challenges are replayable, without associating a reset of rewards every 24 hours, I’m not sure the 7 day, 5 day, 3 day length is the appropriate amounts. There isn’t much incentive to replay what has already been completed. (unless number 3 is part of the plan, because with enough feats it then makes it very replayable to get each one.)

5. Rewards should be meaningful and include items that aren't readily available in bronzium packs, farmable on nodes, or available via the simmable gear challenges.

Everything else, the modifiers, using full roster, the tier format seems very clean and easy to understand, but I think the above would make it a lot more fun and engaging.
  • I'm enjoying the GC. It's nice to play around with different factions/team combos to see how they hold up to various opponents. It's also nice to have something to do whenever I want, without having to use up energy or be limited to the number of attempts.
    Rewards are meh, but I'm ok with that considering it's just something to experiment with imo.
  • I wanted to provide some feedback on the release of Galactic Challenges. I'm aware that this is just an exhibition and may not be the final look but I think the below additions will hit closer to the mark that was intended.

1. Lore based locations and factions that have different enemy characters or ships for each tier, with cinematics between tiers to tell the lore story. Similar to the well received Jedi Knight Luke event. There's a lot that can be pulled from canon.

2. Remove the gear requirements for each tier. One of the most satisfying things about Journey Guide events is attempting to complete each level with under or lesser gear characters. I was able to use specific gear 11 toons in tier 5 but didn't qualify for the feat as they needed to be gear 12.

3. Include lore-based feats that are different per tier (and more than 3). Allowing the usage of our full roster is awesome, but include feats that if you use a specific story driven character (A jawa, sandperson, etc. for Tatooine) you get a special reward or currency for a new store.

4. Although the Galactic Challenges are replayable, without associating a reset of rewards every 24 hours, I’m not sure the 7 day, 5 day, 3 day length is the appropriate amounts. There isn’t much incentive to replay what has already been completed. (unless number 3 is part of the plan, because with enough feats it then makes it very replayable to get each one.)

5. Rewards should be meaningful and include items that aren't readily available in bronzium packs, farmable on nodes, or available via the simmable gear challenges.

Everything else, the modifiers, using full roster, the tier format seems very clean and easy to understand, but I think the above would make it a lot more fun and engaging.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    the idea of this needing a store is worse than the decent rewards being stuck behind paywalls. adding a store to this mess would just make it worse. i hope thats not the solution they have in mind.

I would rather have a store to pick my rewards rather than get random stuff or "have to beat" a specific tier or feat to get the one thing I need, wouldnt you?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Nauros wrote: »
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

If it means more stuff like this, then no thanks. If the new stuff is expected to be better, why not show more? They won't make a second first impression...
  • TVF
    36568 posts Member
    the idea of this needing a store is worse than the decent rewards being stuck behind paywalls. adding a store to this mess would just make it worse. i hope thats not the solution they have in mind.

You don't like the ability to get kyro from the GAC store instead of being forced to accept mk4 bacta?

I do.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited August 2020

Many of will be long dead by then at the rate they are releasing content. "just the start of the first glimpse"? :D That sounds like you're teasing content that my grandchildren are going to get to play - and only if I bequeath my account to them (I'd have to leave it to them directly - both of my sons have already played SWGOH and quit.)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno wrote: »

But @kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.
  • 7 days for an event is awfully a bad idea. You don’t cater to the 0.1% of the player base who log in once per week. You cater to the 99.9% of the player base. This event should be two days maximum. Those who log in once or twice per week is not the data you base your events around
  • Kyno, might we see character reward from Galactic Challenges. I want to see clone wars stuff and the 212th. Character rewards would be great. Solid event though just bad rewards
  • I think people need to chill out a bit with all the venom. CG provided a new mode that they plan to do more with, give it time to see where it goes.

Just because there are some rewards locked behind gear-gated feats does not mean you must get them, but if you have the teams in place that can do it then great, a few meager trinkets for you. Don't get hung up on the low reward level just yet, loot boxes can be modified.

We have seen in the past that new modes sometimes have fatal flaws and must be canceled in short order which would prompt shouts of UNFAIR! by some and then they would have to ship out mass compensation to those that missed out ... by keeping the rewards low, they minimize their exposure risk. Cannot blame them too much really, new modes often have unforeseen flaws.

In the meantime, use the beta test period to DO SOME TESTING and throw different teams at the challenge. How far can you push your ewoks? Your jawas? Phoenix? Rogue One? Imperials?

Maybe try having some fun for a change instead of screaming all the time. I know times are tough, we probably all have cabin fever to some degree. Try channeling some of the light side, search for calm, peace, happiness. Ommmmmmmmmmm ...

P.S. Phoenix Squad has a verrrry interesting mechanic here, something about 25% health recovery when debuffed and 30% protection recovery. My squad does not do much past T3 ... how does yours fare?
  • I agree it is an exhibition period however SWGOH has a drama community base. I think we need to let it breath. Maybe the next event could have some changes
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Many of will be long dead by then at the rate they are releasing content. "just the start of the first glimpse"? :D That sounds like you're teasing content that my grandchildren are going to get to play - and only if I bequeath my account to them (I'd have to leave it to them directly - both of my sons have already played SWGOH and quit.)

They teased Ki Adi Mundi in July of 2019...
  • P.S. Phoenix Squad has a verrrry interesting mechanic here, something about 25% health recovery when debuffed and 30% protection recovery. My squad does not do much past T3 ... how does yours fare?

I know what I'm doing later. Also tried my bugs and sith trio. Both teams performed differently than I would have expected. I ejoyed it. I wish I could do a kitchen sink type team with Fulcrum, for her immunity to dots, Barriss for her dispel, B1 for it's immunity to dots and two others that I'm not sure about but I only have 1 of the 3 able to do anything.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.
    An example, from my understanding, look at something like assault battles.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.
  • Are character rewards possible kyno
  • I want to see an event where you face off against all 5 of the Hans and it has an achievement of killing them from either oldest to youngest or youngest to oldest.
    I would also like to see some common 3 character teams and have the achievements be based on 3 person team, like use only 3 characters and even a two characters for the "undersized win" like in GAC.
    I'd like to see one where you have a character you can't target who keeps calling in like B1s or Stormtroopers and you have to take out all the storm troopers before you can target them. Achievement, don't let any stormtrooper reinforcements get called.
    I would like them to take grab teams that are commonly found in either GAC, TW or Arena, like from the meta report.
    Or what if it was a "Throwback GC" where it had old meta teams to play against?
    I want achievements that are called something like Cannon Fodder, "beat this tier only using unnamed characters."
    I want an achievement called, "Quality Time," and you use just Vader and CLS
    I want another where it's, "Family Time," and you use Anakin, Padmen, FBL and Leia.
    Maybe one for a team of characters who used to be Imperials, like Han and Bohdi?
    It's been said several times on the forums that a Mandalorian tag would be nice, how about characters who are Mandalorians.
    How about one for characters who are neither Sith nor Jedi but have used a lightsaber?
    How about one where you use a two person team that is a light and dark verson of the same person, like the Revans, one of the Anakins and Vader or the Bastillas?
    You could also do master and apprentice duos for both Sith and Jedi.
    How about one where you bring your nameless empire characters and and all he does is force crush over and over and you try not to get "demoted"?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Are character rewards possible kyno

They are already there, so it would see so yes. Anything beyond what we see for rewards we will all need to wait and see where we end up.
  • I meant new characters. Could it be another form of character unlock Kyno?
  • I for one appreciate galactic challenges. I love SWGOH. Thanks for what you do Kyno
  • Banjo
    40 posts Member
    1. Why did this take so long to come out(And still have to be tested, and have nothing new in the first launch/have really clunky menu)
    2. It meets almost none of the expectations that have been clearly stated and hyped by cg (if this was to be a beta why didn’t they say so?)
    3. Why wouldn’t they make their very first new event something to reward everyone for waiting 10 months or w/e With like nothing to say or show but GC and then come up with fighting grievous on an old map
    4. How much after this long of a wait can this “mode” change? this isn’t what I expected. At all. It seems soooooo far off the mark for months of work or whatever
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Thanks for what you do Kyno

This. 1000%. In another thread (maybe?) I mentioned EP's hiding behind community managers. But no one takes as much...stuff...as Kyno. And still remains positive and as friendly as possible. Keep up the good work sir.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • MacoDen
    20 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    What would be nice is bonus tiers after tier 7. Allow us to have a bonus tier where we can go in and pick, (speaking in regards to this particular map), one of maybe 3 separatist team variants provided (teams we will likely see in the wild) and let us battle them. Doing this for each faction we face in future GAChallenges. No rewards would be needed. Have a bonus tier 1 with relic 5 characters and bonus tier 2 with relic 7 characters. This could be our sandbox mode that we have been looking for. Without the modifiers or a switch to shut them off for the bonus tiers.