Galactic challenges event [MERGE]

Replies

• TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Calls it a "Exhibition" yet doesn't shy away from selling packs xkmu8vgz59ur.jpg
    We were to use all of our roster, but it clearly seems to be fine tuned for sith's. Probably next one is going to be for rebels and so on and so forth, just a assault battle with worse rewards

Nothing they do shies away from selling stuff, just be grateful people keep buying and we all get to keep playing.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I meant new characters. Could it be another form of character unlock Kyno?

Could be, they dont have details to share on that currently.

Personally I think we need more places focused on just gear. Having a store that just needs to be hoarded until "the next thing" is not really helpful to the current situation.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Calls it a "Exhibition" yet doesn't shy away from selling packs xkmu8vgz59ur.jpg
    We were to use all of our roster, but it clearly seems to be fine tuned for sith's. Probably next one is going to be for rebels and so on and so forth, just a assault battle with worse rewards

Yes, just as they stated, each exhibition event has a set player and enemy modifiers. Each of which will make the event better suited to that faction. That doesnt mean you cant use any faction or team to play and beat it.

As a whole this will allow for more use of our rosters, they never said that each individual battle will serve that purpose, but GC as a whole will.

Yes they are a company, yes they sell things... shocking I know.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Banjo wrote: »
    1. Why did this take so long to come out(And still have to be tested, and have nothing new in the first launch/have really clunky menu)
    2. It meets almost none of the expectations that have been clearly stated and hyped by cg (if this was to be a beta why didn’t they say so?)
    3. Why wouldn’t they make their very first new event something to reward everyone for waiting 10 months or w/e With like nothing to say or show but GC and then come up with fighting grievous on an old map
    4. How much after this long of a wait can this “mode” change? this isn’t what I expected. At all. It seems soooooo far off the mark for months of work or whatever

1- dont confuse testing with a period to gain player feedback (and some large scale testing too)
    2 - it's not a beta it's an exhibition, as they stated.
    3- not sure, but as a whole there is a tonne of background we dont see and has many purposes.
    4- most likely after the exhibition we will see the next iteration. I'm sure things will change and some till be based on player feedback. Will it change enough, only time will tell.

Again, this is just the tip of the iceberg for what all the waiting has been for. Much of what was going on was to build things we will never see in actuality, but this should allow them to make more content quicker. But again only time will tell. I'm sure many may end up still being unhappy as things progress, and at the pace they do, but it is a good thing.
  • For me, the big issue is that this is just another event not really a new game mode. If it was marketed as such I wouldn't be nearly so disappointed.

As an event I like it better than Assault Battles, if the rewards were similar it would be fine. The idea that the system will allow for more events is great is promising.

As a new game mode, it simply doesn't do what I had hoped. There is no incentive to replay, it's not really useful for testing,
    there is no true puzzle to work out and I find it's too repetitive to want to try out a lot of teams.

What I wanted. A mode that not only allowed me to interact with it whenever I wanted but made me want to. This could have been accomplished by allowing the mods to be toggled on and off, having different teams to face or giving rewards for every time it's defeated with a new team.

I understand that it's just am exhibition and everything is subject to change but it's a long way off from something that will renew my interest in the game.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Let's try to keep in mind:

GAC went through this exhibition and came out with a store. They already mentioned this in the post as a possibility.

This time period is meant to be a test run.

The length of time that is being used and changed throughout the runs is intentional for information and data gathering.

The number and type of feats we see are all subject to change and has been mentioned that they will be limited in this run.

"Why did it take this long?" - this was built from scratch with all new tools and built in a way to be more flexible. This run is also probably ment to be a test of some of that background stuff.

Let's try to keep all of this and other stuff in mind as we try to produce constructive feedback.

Yeah but gac was a pvp event and had the fun factor of beating someone. You waited for the other guy to try and attack you. It had suspense.

Im literally done with this the day it landed. Its not fun. Its not something i would do daily aa once rewards are gotten, its pointless.

And then there is terrible rewards.

Go head and put a hot fix in andnlets move to the next one
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

Yes, just as they stated, each exhibition event has a set player and enemy modifiers. Each of which will make the event better suited to that faction. That doesnt mean you cant use any faction or team to play and beat it.

As a whole this will allow for more use of our rosters, they never said that each individual battle will serve that purpose, but GC as a whole will.

Yes they are a company, yes they sell things... shocking I know.

But one cant hide behind its an exhibition and thats why it can be bad while trying to monitize it with new packs.
  • They could've used this framework to create timeline themed personal raids rather than gated galactic war on steroids.

Standard varying rewards for completing with any squad at 7 difficulty levels, puzzle elements and a few feats that hold prize top ups (rather than the current gated best rewards).
  • 7 days for an event is awfully a bad idea. You don’t cater to the 0.1% of the player base who log in once per week. You cater to the 99.9% of the player base. This event should be two days maximum. Those who log in once or twice per week is not the data you base your events around

I log in every day, but I've only had time to do the first three tiers. I'm going to do the rest tomorrow and Sunday.

I like having an event last long enouh that there isn't pressure or urgency to get it completed right away. I also like that if it were for a different faction (my Sith just straight up isn't good enough, after all) the week it lasts could be the time needed to improve a few characters to the point where I could do another tier.
    I agree it is an exhibition period however SWGOH has a drama community base. I think we need to let it breath. Maybe the next event could have some changes

Yeah, this is an horrifically toxic fanbase that feeds off the negativity of other toxic fans. They couldn't give meaningful feedback if their lives depended on it--if their lives DID depend on it their feedback would still be "It sucks that my life depends on this."

—————

I put some feedback in a different thread because, really, who does multiple feedback hreads for the same event? Anyway.... Overall I like it. The event needs a little more oomph behind it, though, before it goes live. The problem is that the "Win with this faction" rewards are SO much better than the first time completion rewards that there's almost no benefit to beating it without using that faction. The other feat completion rewards are so minor, on the other hand, that there's almost no benefit to redoing the event to accomplish them. This gives it the feel of an Assault Battle, except instead of two factions to choose from you really only have one--whichever the event faction is.

The intended player reaction should be to beat the event period. That should account for half the total rewards. If you continue wih three feats, those three should account for the remaining half of the total rewards. I like that the lower tiers of the event give character shards--if all you can do is three tiers of the event, then the thing you need MOST are shards. The later tiers shift to gear and mod materials as you advance in the game and those things become more important to building your roster. Early game you're building your roster out, adding new characters, midgame and later you're building your roster up, raising the gear and mods of specific characters. So that part of the reward and challenge structure is good.

I would suggest making whatever the intended faction is (Sith, in this case) the "easy" mode. Having this faction makes doing the battle simpler and therefore gives you significant rewards. The equivalent of "Stay on Target" should be winning a battle with all one faction, none of whom are the intended faction. Maybe narrow the feat down so it's only two or three factions, or make extreme rewards for rare factions (ie: Win with Tuskens, get a boatload of stuff). There are a number of routes you could take here--but I feel like the important thing is to encourage people to use a variety of teams instead of just going through as far as they can get with the intended team.

I'd also suggest more than three feats per tier of varying difficulty. The ones in this first exhibition seem very first pass ideas. I don't mean that as an insult--I get that this first few runs are more about seeing if the event itself even works in the first place, gauge how long each event should run (ome week, please!) ,and to introduce the basic concept to us. This is building the house--you'll worry about decorating it after. I get that. So I'm saying that these feats need more flavor to them now so that when you decide it's time to decorate the house, you know what areas need the most paint. I'm stretching that metaphor to its breaking point, sorry, but you get the idea.

As to the length, one week is perfect unless you're going to refresh the rewards at some point, If the rewards refresh daily, then a shorter length is best so his doesn't become a chore. But if the rewards are one claim only, I'm happy with a week because it allows me to break up the event into bite-sized treats throughout the week when I have some time, and then to really dig in and gobble it up over the weekend. My weekend is Friday through Saturday, but I know other folks have other schedules and maybe their days off are Tuesday and Thurssday, or maybe they keep Shabbos or something and can't play Saturday--point being that if it runs a full week, everyone has an equal shot at getting it done. A shorter event doesn't add anything but stress. Just--if you're going to make it a week, put the GC icon's pirority near the bottom so that it shows up on the first day, but then gets dismissed or shoved off the front page, or whatever, as new events pop. That way if there's a TW/TB, GAC, and another event the GC icon won't prevent one of those from showing.

As tothe difficulty..... It's hard for me to say because my Sith aren't good enough, But my r5 Holdo took a crit for 150k on the second action of the last tier, and that seems a bit excessive. True, this is a Sith event and she's definitely not Sith, but 150 is still a lot of ks.... 😝
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.
    An example, from my understanding, look at something like assault battles.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself. The background program will allow them to do a lot more in the future like make events faster and a lot more.

If that's true then it's a good thing but that just raised people's expectations of things to come. So... What should we expect new raids every 3 months? New events weekly? New characters monthly?

If CG would communicate exactly what this invisible behind the scenes new program will allow them to do and if CG would actually be specific by telling players what they actually intend to do with the new behind the scenes program - then that may help quell some of the disappointment with the event after 8 months of... "wait for this its gonna be great" messaging.

Doesnt feel like this was worth 8 months of build up just for another promise about how it will be great in another 8 months and for people to just trust them...

Communication would go a long way here if what your saying is true why not communicate specifically what the plans are what should we expect from this new tool. Cg has been very generic about it so far feels like a lot of fluff personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
  • PhatPat84 wrote: »
    This is all galactic challenges are about. Nothing else
    zai4uc9wm7lz.jpg

This is only an exhibition why would they monetize a test run with non final and sub par rewards? Unless this is part of the test...???

Maybe the new tool allows them to pick a faction then the tool creates a gear gated event and then creates packs for sale for that same gear gated faction. This would cut down on a ton of development time if it auto-generated the packs for sale then devs would save all the time previously put into making packs and they have more time to design more new content... Maybe this is a good thing after all?
  • My feedback.
    7 days is too long.
    I strolled through it in less than a day, now I'm staring at this event and not bothering to try it again.
    A 3 day event makes sense to me, especially if they run back to back, that would feel like there's something to do each day.
    Providing you take your time with it...
  • I am not sure i seen it here yet or something,i could be wrong,it just feels like usual job,minimum effort maximum profit.
    Where are the cutscenes and the different enemy teams,other backgrounds,same old thing,even after the debates with the gl events from tiers 4-6 of the same thing over and over and after all the feedback you just do same thing?Why bother give any feedback?
    I would have expected something more than jkl event,from videos i seen,it actually felt a little like playing star wars again,jkl was good event.
  • One more piece of feedback I noticed while giving the event another shot today--You guys really need to recalibrate the "Recommended" algorithm, ahahhahaha! My absolute best team can't beat T5, whether it's Sith or something else. The TM gain is just too much. But the "Recommended" tag is on the final tier for me. I get slaughtered in every configuration of characters I try. I think having "Recommended" there sets up some false expectations that lead to frustration. If "Recommended" were more realistic at 4, in my case, a reasonable player would think getting past that and then be8ng bogged down beyond it is fine because they exceeded expectations. As is, seeing I'm done already and have all those tiers that I failed BEFORE the recommended? An unreasonable person will come here and complain.

But, also, since this is a one-time reward situation, why even have "Recommended?" If it was like a Heist where doing T2 means you can't do T3 or beyond, then "Recommended" us a great addition because it allows players to know when they're ready for a new tier. But since we have a whole week to do this and there's no particular need to run it again and again once you've picked up all feats, the recommendation isn't needed--the recommendation is "Go as far as you can!"

So I'd suggest either A) Removing "Recommendation" entirely, or B) recalibrating how it's calculated and renaming it to "Expectation." Either of those will improve player experience.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Well, if the result of those new tools and background stuff is this, they shouldn't have bothered with them either. To think that we could have got a new raid instead...

This is the thing, it's not one or the other. Overall this is just the start the first glimpse of what we will see.

I would much rather have them be able to put out more stuff than a raid that will be on farm shortly then back to the old waiting game. In the end this is the better long term thing for the game.

But kyno what did their tools really add? No new locations, or enemies. I don't see how this improved the player experience. Even beyond the issues with the rewards, feats, etc, the new "tools" don't appear to have actually improved anything. Do they really need this simply to throw together an event once every week or few days? Remembering we're talking about an event with nothing new.

As they said it will allow them to make content more rapidly. And from what I understand this is for "all content", so saying I would have miked a raid mote than this or these tools is a misunderstanding (as an example) because as this moves on this should help them also design raids and other content faster.

So if you dont think that being able to get more content faster, or maybe more flexibility in the content we see is not better for the player experience, then I dont know what to say.

I feel like judging the work they put into the background (which most people never understand when it comes to programming) just by their single exhibition GC, is judging a book by its cover. But that has never stopped people before.

You would think that it was code one, then pull out characters replace with another set, pick from different backgrounds, hit play. It wasn't, from my understanding it was more like making each event from essentially the ground up each time.

With the new way things are built it should be easier for them to do "what we think it should be like ", and change things without having to rebuild an event, or possibly change a stage or make adjustments to an event.

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself.
    No, what reasonable people are saying is don't judge this like you're friggin Paul Hollywood trying to get some cheap heat before a commercial break. This isn't the final cake you're going to eat. This is the stage where the judges are going from table to table asking the contestents what they're doing. You're eating batter and telling them their cake sucks--no duh, it's batter, man.

The purpose of this is to get feedback. What you like, what you don't like, what systems can be improved, what's just an inherent vice that can't be avoided, how long it should take per day, how many days it should take, etc. They don't specifically ask these questions because anyone who has been in a focus group knows about how leading questions can spoil the responses.
    personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
    No duh it's so negative, you guys try to outdo one another with your negativity. You have more meaningless fights than a YouTube comments section. Your feedback is constructed more to show off your poison pen than it is to actually improve anything. It's the forum equivalent of peacocking. Star Wars has one of the worst fan bases, probably second only to Fallout, and this particular board is a notable hive of scum and villainy even within that fan base....
  • Few thoughts on this:

1) the feat for tier 5 says 5 g12, against relic seps, that's just stupid. I only managed with r3 + jedi because jolee revived the whole team twice.

2) I like the idea of the planet modifiers, I think it has a lot of potential but this one with the DOTs was way OP, it was killing off the flakier toons before taking a turn. Once the tier is completed it would be nice to replay without it. Same applies to team modifiers (rewardless obviously)

3) it would be great if it was more based around GAC. No bonus toons like the sniper droid, or preloaded turn meter. Make each tier actually based on a certain level maybe full g7, 9, 11, 12, r1, r3, r5, r7. Let the stats of them be visible before, even if they are squad arena mods. At least it would give people the testing they need for GAC to see how their squads do.

I think it has a lot of potential but shorter time frames and slightly better structure
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I think CG's "recommended" algorithm is based on their TW matchmaking algorithm. Just a guess.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Banjo
    40 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

So what your saying is people shouldn't judge this event because it's the work in the background that is valuable, not the event itself.
    No, what reasonable people are saying is don't judge this like you're friggin Paul Hollywood trying to get some cheap heat before a commercial break. This isn't the final cake you're going to eat. This is the stage where the judges are going from table to table asking the contestents what they're doing. You're eating batter and telling them their cake sucks--no duh, it's batter, man.

The purpose of this is to get feedback. What you like, what you don't like, what systems can be improved, what's just an inherent vice that can't be avoided, how long it should take per day, how many days it should take, etc. They don't specifically ask these questions because anyone who has been in a focus group knows about how leading questions can spoil the responses.
    personally but that's my opinion apparently others agree since this threat is 94.6% negative.
    No duh it's so negative, you guys try to outdo one another with your negativity. You have more meaningless fights than a YouTube comments section. Your feedback is constructed more to show off your poison pen than it is to actually improve anything. It's the forum equivalent of peacocking. Star Wars has one of the worst fan bases, probably second only to Fallout, and this particular board is a notable hive of scum and villainy even within that fan base....

None of these words explain to me why GC took so long to make and suck so bad lol
  • Banjo
    40 posts Member
    This game is clearly not living up to some people’s expectations of a billion dollar Star Wars game, I feel it justified to be angry. Finish ur cake show
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »

Two things to take away from the current state of this thread :

1) The forums still struggle mightily with analogies.
    2) CG still struggles with algorithms.

SSDD.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Finish ur cake show

A what now?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »
    Finish ur cake show

A what now?

He misspelled cake. :D

• NicWester wrote: »

So you think it's helpful to critique others opinions as opposed to just giving your own. That helps stop the toxic environment.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Let's try to stay on topic please