Galactic challenges event [MERGE]

Replies

• Options
    TVF wrote: »
    Is anyone really enjoying this stuff? My answer is NO!!! If my R7 JKR is getting nuked before even taking a turn in level 5 which states G12 is required then forget this garbage!! You gotta do way better than mod salvage and a gray mod to entice me to make a run at these galactic challenges.

I've been having fun trying to beat tier 1 for each challenge with my terrible Jawas, and seeing how far I can get each challenge with my meh rogue one.

So basically youd play a sandbox mode if it had some structure
  • Intergalactic
    15 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Can we scale feats and their rewards based on how many player/enemy mods you load into the challenge for the day?

so ya let us stack up to 3 player and enemy modifiers and then make rewarding feats for bringing in max mods or something.

you can keep creating interesting perk card like modifers that relate to some feat when you use it on the challenge. ect .ect.

you could even work in some type of farming store for modifiers we need to search for to use in challenges. (building up an inventory of valueable modifiers would give players something to work towards)
  • Options
    again... with second account... have no motivation to play, set the team and auto till it goes... pick garbage rewards and move on. have no motivation on feats, since they are gre ar gated (how stupid is that). so, if i dont see that faction needed in near future, i dont gear them up, not for meh rewards anyway. would need some shards, but i better spend crystals to buy them straight. and also boring event as hell. no motivation to even try when you see gear gate
  • Options
    Dear CG Team,

Overall, Galactic Challenges show a great deal of potential and can be something really special with a bit of fine-tuning and changes. As it stands now (disregarding the well-known issues related to rewards) the mode is "Okay" but could be "Great!"

Pros:
    + The shift from 7 days to 2 days was extremely welcome. 1 or 2 days feels like the right duration.
    + Rotating environments, opponents, and required teams is good and encourages the use and development of our entire roster.
    + The modifiers are fun and welcome additions to vary the standard combat experience.
    + The foundation is strong and the mode has great potential.

Mixed:
    ~ The Feats are a great idea, but are currently limited and could use more variety.
    ~ The tier structure is fine, but feels a bit dull as there is only typically only one tier that will really provide a balanced challenge based on the players roster. So the other tiers are either totally inaccessible, or provide no real challenge.
    ~ Due to the procedural nature of the content, battles often don't feel thematically appropriate (which is fine.) However, most Star Wars fans (including myself) derive a greater sense of fun from thematic content.
    ~ incentive to experiment with a players roster is limited, meaning the only thing currently motivating play of this mode is rewards and the next challenge rotation which feels like a missed opportunity.

Cons:
    - Rewards do not feel meaningful
    - Character gear level requirement within feats to attain rewards feels bad.

Suggestions:
    * Change the tier system to a scaling system that creates an enemy team reflecting the squad GP the player brings into combat.
    * Adjust the feats to include a much larger variety of them. this would emphasis the "challenge" component of "Galactic Challenges"
    * Scale the rewards based on the power of the team the player used to accomplish the feat and the feat itself. For example: If the challenge was to complete the battle with Bounty Hunters, and I use a team of Bounty Hunters with a GP of 115,000, have the rewards scale based on that accomplishment, and only allow them to be obtained once for that galactic challenge rotation.This would still allow the featured squad completion to offer the best rewards for that rotation, but would also encourage experimentation for the other feats adding fun and challenge to put your best foot forward on your first attempt at a feat since that would complete the feat thus attaining the first time rewards for it. This would also allow the mode to be highly re-playable and fun.

Ideas for Feats:
    * Thematic - Complete the battle with a squad that is thematically appropriate (the challenge is knowing your lore.)
    * One of a Kind - Complete a battle with a squad using 1 character from each faction
    * There Must be Balance - Complete the battle with a mix of Dark and Light side characters.
    * Under powered - Complete the battle with the weakest squad possible (doesn't need great rewards but would be fun!)
    * Time's up - Complete the battle in under x amount of time.
    * Kyber Chroma - Complete the battle using characters with 5 distinctly different light-saber colors.
    * Pew pew! - Complete the battle with a squad of only blaster users.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. If you like any of these ideas I relinquish them all to the team at Capital Games. Take them and use them well. Thank you all for your hard work and considering my (and the community at large's) feedback.
  • Options
    Galaxy of RNG...
    You can pass with 3 stars tier 6.
    And get wiped before taking a turn in tier 5.
    @CG, does one of your employee hates the number 5 or what?
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    z45aas90bn8e.png
    I’ve beat all these GC in day one in about 20 min. Once you have all the characters at relic 5 for these events it’s easy.
    But that’s a very steep price for terrible rewards.
    Once we get the seps event I hope the rewards charge and are going to be something worth going after.
  • Options
    Sewpot wrote: »
    z45aas90bn8e.png
    I’ve beat all these GC in day one in about 20 min. Once you have all the characters at relic 5 for these events it’s easy.
    Once we get the seps event I hope the rewards charge and are going to be something worth going after.

They won’t change anything during their beta testing. This is just our “compensation” for beta testing honestly. If they think this reward structure (gear gate) is going to win people over then they’re out of their minds. With all their talk of “resource management” they Want us to blow tons of gear to get 5 toons of each faction to R5 for meager rewards? Pffft
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Options
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Sewpot wrote: »
    z45aas90bn8e.png

They won’t change anything during their beta testing. This is just our “compensation” for beta testing honestly. If they think this reward structure (gear gate) is going to win people over then they’re out of their minds. With all their talk of “resource management” they Want us to blow tons of gear to get 5 toons of each faction to R5 for meager rewards? Pffft

I can see zeta’s at the least being added. Give me 4 every couple of days and I’d be happy. 🙏
  • Options
    The minute you walked in the joint. I could tell you were a man of distinction a real big spender. HEY BIG SPENDER......WONT U SPENNNNND a lil time in galactic Challenges because only players with deep pockets are really going to reep the rewards in this. This does nothing to bridge the gaping chasm that separates ftp from ptp. If like me your a casual spender this new game modes offers me absolutely nothing other the brute frustration and another thing that consumes precious time in exchange for walking up to a gate and staring at reward you desperately need which in reality only players who dont need it will obtain. Just sim it and dump it next to galactic war would you please so I can collect the first 5 teirs because this is the worst game mode so far. If I think of something good about I'll be sure to write another post.
  • Mastersbgames
    222 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    So, current GC, the kamino one...

B1 is losing stacks of droid battalion when ever they attack...
    Pictures where taken before sniper droid attacked then right after b1 assisted
    Unfortunately I was a bit slow, but he did gain the 3 stacks they would normally gain at the start of their turn
    imks8ubh12wc.png
    p6sz7kl2up1g.png

Think it might be to do with the global modifier, but unsure if this is WAI
  • Options
    Bit more proof to support this...
    B1 at the start of his turn has 103 and end his turn on 68, before the Ashoka counter...
    5sl1wbpylvm9.png
    ws4l6nng6pgb.png
  • Options
    Just realized, bottom of the GR ability thing they gain, they reflect back 100% damage...
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's the "fun" modifier. Maybe the event would be more enjoyable if the usual modifier wasn't "lol, your team dies", and this one specifically makes a key unit unusable. GCs are an unwanted gift that keeps on giving...
  • Options
    But this is the only good part of GC, make sure to understand the rules in a particular setup and come up with the best viable strategy to beat it. I don’t want another sim/auto game mode.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    But this is the only good part of GC, make sure to understand the rules in a particular setup and come up with the best viable strategy to beat it. I don’t want another sim/auto game mode.

I have nothing against modifiers in general, it's just that CG seems to be hellbent on making them as annoying as possible. And trying to fit into feat limitations severely reduces strategic options. Overall, good idea but bad implementation.
  • Options
    I agree that the feats and rewards structure is counter intuitive to say the least.
  • Options
    Jenjhys wrote: »
    As a "beta tester", my feedback :

positive:
    - specific buff for al event
    - feat to have reward *
    - possibility to play every team we want **

negative:
    - quality of reward : are you stingy?
    - *the same feat ever and ever... Seriously, you give us no new content for month because you work on your update for dev tool to help you to make new content easier and faster. Now you have your tool you can't change the feat on every galactic challenge?
    - ** Fake possibility to play every team we want because the best reward are lock with a specific team where all toon need to be r5.
    - no graduate reward if can go higher than T4 I need reward which help me to succed on T5 next time

Additional feedback :

If I am not wrong, you (CG) say that you made Galactic Challenge to give us more daily activity and more thing to do in game.
    The problem is that if we don't have the good tag team full R5 the event have no interest because of bad reward and so event will be finish in less than 10 min.
    Your new content is not giving more thing to do every day for the biggest part of your player...
    So Galactic Challenge is a fail of give us what you promise...

An easy thing to do is to separate the feat with gear level requirement and with specific team in two feat
    One feat with gear requirement and one other with team requirement.
    I think you can do it very fast with your new devtool.
    Or more feat...
  • Options
    I just can't be bothered to put the effort in for the rubbish prizes.

Also, I'd rather have a new raid, something more to do with ships too.
  • Options
    Just don't use b1 and remember to use the event special on GG for that extra damage.

It's not a fun event, and the prizes aren't worth the effort, but it is doable...
  • MasterSeedy
    5037 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I think this should be a separate thread, but mods are just going to merge it back into this anyway, so here goes:

This Kamino GalChallenge is the worst one yet. I don't think it's operating as described all the time, but even if it is... It makes no sense. You inevitably take more damage than you dish even when you kill an opponent. And, okay. That works so long as you have a lot more health than your opponent, but the nonsense kills the fun. I'm sitting her wondering why the enemy is acting after death instead of enjoying the battle.

And, of course, you could word the description differently, but you didn't. You tell us the enemy reflects the damage they're taking. But why, precisely, should an opponent be able to reflect damage after they're dead? I'm not even sure how this creates an interesting strategic puzzle. Needing to pick one's shots makes sense if you're in this particular pickle, but very little else does. And picking your shots doesn't help you at all if you're going to suffer the damage whether they die or not. Again, what's the interesting strategic choice you want us to engage?

The event special is written completely wrong. it says it increases Max Health & Max Protection, but it actually affects current health and protection as well, despite that not being written in the ability. It's as if the programmers and the writers shared some speculations at the beginning but then they went their different directions and the writers never bothered to find out if the final version of the event special differed from the original idea. And sure, I could maybe guess that current health & protection is being increased by the exact same amount as Max health & Protection, but since that's not written into the ability, I'm left completely unable to trust you. What other abilities in this Challenge aren't functioning the way that they are described? How will I know if my offense is increased by the event special? There's no way to check and we already know that the description is inaccurate in at least some ways. Why shouldn't it be inaccurate in a THOUSAND ways? How can I even begin to engage with the puzzle or do theory crafting if I can't trust the information you're giving players about the event?

Further, GLs seem not to be programmed correctly. I understand how, from a programmer's perspective, reflected damage is not the same as "massive damage". But for a character both immune to massive damage and who inflicts massive damage - in this case Rey - you get 300k damage reflected on you. It's ... bizarre. She's immune to the original attack, but not the same attack mirrored back to her? How then is it "reflected"? It seems like it's an entirely new attack at that point.

So, anyway, I get how it could make sense from a programmer's perspective, but from a player's perspective it makes no sense at all.

On a related note, the sniper droid "instantly defeats" an enemy if it has 5 stacks of charge, but
    1. "instant defeat" is not damage, so why is my sniper droid reduced to red health from full after sniping someone?

and,
    2. I can't see how many stacks of charge are on the sniper droid. That means I have to use the ability without knowing what its effects will be. This is TERRIBLE. The sniping function is absolutely crucial to the event, but the graphics are so bad there's literally no hope of seeing the number of stacks of charge. I can't believe that didn't come up in testing and consider this a massive and inexcusable failure on the part of CG. Do better.

Those issues with "massive damage" and "instant defeat" out of the way, the event special which is supposed to restore a portion of your health, protection, etc. is bugged in its interaction with GL Rey's bonus protection ... and perhaps with all bonus protection (I'm thinking Enfys Nest in particular, but possibly also toons that provide ProtectionUP buffs like Padmé), though I only played the event with Seps and Rey.

When you gain a stack of the Event Special, you lose a large portion of the bonus protection that Rey provided.

This is also sloppy and inexcusable, and dramatically impacts the utility of Rey's most important ability.

Not okay, CG.

This isn't a comment on all GalChallenges, but it's certainly a comment on this one: this particular Challenge - Kamino - was terribly put together and should have been junked in quality control if this is the best you could do.
    Post edited by MasterSeedy on
  • Options
    It is WAI. Just read the modifiers. Loving the sniper droid!
  • Options
    2. I can't see how many stacks of charge are on the sniper droid. That means I have to use the ability without knowing what its effects will be. This is TERRIBLE. The sniping function is absolutely crucial to the event, but the graphics are so bad there's literally no hope of seeing the number of stacks of charge. I can't believe that didn't come up in testing and consider this a massive and inexcusable failure on the part of CG. Do better.
    This is the testing.
  • MasterSeedy
    5037 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Keldoron
    + The shift from 7 days to 2 days was extremely welcome. 1 or 2 days feels like the right duration.

Everyone seems to think that this shift is good, but no one seems to get it. They're not going to provide 7x the number of GalChallenges if they're reduced to one day durations. They're going to provide a one day GalChallenge just once a week.It still won't be any more content just because you only have one day to play it.

Moreover, they have a programming budget. Designing 7x the number of events requires 7x the programming hours. Where's that going to come from?

Again, either they simply won't do more events - which means they shorten the duration without giving you anything else to do the rest of the week when there is no gal challenge - OR they spend 1/7th the programming time on each one.

Kamino is already bugged. It completely fails to work properly with Rey. It has abilities that are not necessarily bugs, but violate any normal sense of logic ("instant defeat" is not "damage" but the sniper ability is being reflected as if it were damage).

Now let's imagine that they have to produce a new event EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Will there be even more bugs? Of course.

Will the descriptions make even less sense and be even more confusing without time for the programmers to adequately communicate how the final version looks to the people who write up the descriptions? Of course.

Will they run out of fresh ideas for global/ ally/ & enemy event modifiers because it's hard to come up with three truly original ideas every single day? Of course.

So if I'm wrong and instead of just giving us nothing for 6 days a week they actually give us a new 24-hour event every single day, are they going to suck rotten eggs almost immediately? Of course.

And on top of all this, they have a rewards budget in mind. Whatever the rewards end up being, CG is going to be calculating out how much that dumps into the gear economy on a weekly and monthly basis. That calculation doesn't change if you have to complete one big even that takes a week to do or if you have 10 little events that must be completed in less than a day and deliver only 10% of the rewards of the big event.

So, sure, you can reduce the duration the Gal Challenge shows up in your "events" section, but it doesn't mean you're going to get more events or more things to do, and it sure as heck doesn't mean you're going to get more rewards. All it means is that the graphic won't show up 5 or 6 days a week.

And while I could be wrong, and they might actually decide that they need to put out 3.5 or 7 Gal Challenges a week, that only means that the development time for each one gets cut by 3.5 or 7, meaning they run out of ideas sooner and the mode gets stale sooner and there are more bugs and more non-bug quality problems.

And, of course, it means you have to bang your head against 7 bugged events per week (or fortnight) to get the same rewards that they would have been willing to give us for actually enjoying 1 much higher quality event per week.

Please, CG, for the love of mercy, don't try to turn out a brand new Gal Challenge every day. Put out a good one once per ... whatever the time is that you need to get the quality and fun right.

And if we're only going to get one per week anyway, there is absolutely no harm in letting it remain up and playable for the whole time. People can ignore it if they like, or they can replay it, but it does no harm sitting here.

So set a realistic goal for how often you can put out a good quality Galactic Challenge, then actually put out ONLY good quality challenges, and keep the last one available until the next one drops, even if you can't produce more than one good quality GalChal per month and that means the same Gal Challenge ends up sitting open & playable for 30 days.
  • Options
    @MasterSeedy I don't think that's the case. IIRC, the stated point of the GCs was to produce content more easily, so I would expect some kind of "modifier bank" which is used to make different events (semi)automatically. That way, once they load up the bank, very little human time is needed to churn out events, a different one each day if needed. Of course, all needs to be ironed out first, and considering how often some unintended interactions come up, the whole thing is going to be one giant mess...
  • Options
    @Nauros

Even if they decide they are going to simply recycle all the modifiers (and thus the events won't be new or fresh) they still have to actually test the balance of the squads they put in as enemies and the favored faction squads. Just because a modifier worked on Separatists or NightSisters doesn't mean it won't have an unintended interaction with some other faction.

Every single one of these events will have to be play tested and balanced. There's only so much staff time available to do those things. If you want to have employees do 1/7th the work, they're going to give you 1/7th the quality output.

Your vision of no-thought recycled content from a jumbled basket of modifiers isn't going to give us good events every day, and you still haven't addressed the reality that your vision also means playing 7x as often for the exact same rewards.

I don't want something that feels like an every day job I have to do just to keep up.

I want something to do that's fun that is available when I want to do it. A great event that's available for a whole week so I can pick the exact time when I can enjoy it most and then get a huge reward for that accomplishment is far more appealing to me than no-thought, recycled events that I miss if I even take one day off from this game and for which I get relatively piddling rewards.

I don't know why anyone would want to play no-thought events for 1/7th the rewards.

And of course you're free to ask CG for whatever you want, but I'll keep advocating for high quality content with meaningful rewards, and that's not something we're going to get from 24-hour events that have to be churned out every day 365 days a year.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Wow this goes down as the absolute worst one of this entire beta test that we arent calling beta.

The event modifiers are designed to make your team suck.

I get it, galactic legends made events like this super easy... but making the modifiers turn them into paper is not ok.

I also dont like going in with a grevous squad at r7 greavous and r4 everything else and getting destroyed in the g12 feat tier 5 if i dont play it exactly right. Thats should be a lopsided cake walk not a barely win scenario.

So in conclusion, this was unfun and not something that i would want to play daily
    Post edited by ShaggyB on
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Oh and i will add...

t85wy48sx43w.jpg

So apart from tier 7 full sepratist squad feats, ive done it all.... i have no desire to play more or try to figure out the best way to beat the event modifiers.

I find them unfun and they take away from my enjoyment... in particular this one feels designed to handicap the player.

Perhaps im playing it wrong, but again i dont find it engaging enough for me to play more to figure it out... and the rewards make it not worth the time
    Post edited by ShaggyB on
  • Options
    @Nauros
    This is the testing.

This is testing GalChallenges generally. This isn't the bug testing any developer has to do even before beta testing. If you've ever programmed (and I've only done a small amount of professional programming and that was 20 years ago, but even I know this) then you for sure know that bug testing ALWAYS happens.

These problems should have come up in bug testing. The GalChallenge testing is to see how we like the event and to collect data on who's playing it, what rewards they're collecting, etc. This is testing US to see how we engage in the event.

It's not supposed to test whether the event actually works.
  • Options
    i am happy that devs gave us new content but to be honnest galactic event bring me 0 fun :(