How far should I gear up KRU?

BB6
19 posts Member
Hey guys, quick question for ya. I'm working on Kylo Ren (what a fast, easy farm, huh? I'm almost at 100 shards for 7* and his ship has quickly become my best) and wondering how far to gear him. I've been working on him for two obvious reasons: 1) his ship is in my starting lineup for Fleet Arena and 2) I'll eventually need him for BB8.

Having said that, I don't know what else I'll need him for so I ask again, how far should I gear him to satisfy those 2 needs? What prompted me to ask is I have a stun gun ready and trying to decide who to give it to. My two others I'm considering are Thrawn and Bastila. Here are my characters:

https://swgoh.gg/p/813541717/characters/

Re: where I'm at with my path, I'm moving on past Phoenix (besides using them as a reliable squad for GW) and using Empire as my arena squad. I feel like they're ready for R2D2 but I'm just waiting until I hit level 85 to do the event. I'm currently working on getting all their abilities to Level 7 and farming Old Ben (after I'm finished farming KRU that is), Bastila and Jolee to 7* for GMY. Also working on pilots and dark side ships so I can do the zeta ability mats challenge. So at this juncture, who am I giving the best gear to?

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    G8 (and good mods) would suffice for tier 7 of BB8's event. As long as you rely in TIE Silencer to earn crystals in fleet arena I would recommend to take him to g11 to max out Silencer's abilities. At some point you may switch to using Han's Falcon which will make Silencer obsolete for you in arena. Silencer is also used for unlocking/farming the Finalizer in the future.

In general, you should gear up the characters you rely on (or will rely on in the near future) to earn more crystals in the arenas. This includes gearing characters that help you unlock new characters you will rely on.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    I would recommend staying on the path to unlocking CLS (requires a full team of 5 empire characters and the 4 ANH rebels ST Han, Leia, OB and farmboy - all at 7*) while also gearing the pilots you rely on in fleet arena (Especially Bossk and Biggs. No need to gear Phoenix past the point where you unlocked Thrawn). Also farm the 4 bountyhunter ships to unlock Han's Falcon.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »
    I would recommend staying on the path to unlocking CLS (requires a full team of 5 empire characters and the 4 ANH rebels ST Han, Leia, OB and farmboy - all at 7*) while also gearing the pilots you rely on in fleet arena (Especially Bossk and Biggs. No need to gear Phoenix past the point where you unlocked Thrawn). Also farm the 4 bountyhunter ships to unlock Han's Falcon.

But going for HMF requires some really good Bounty Hunters to unlock Chewie, though, right? That's a difficult event, as I'm slowly slogging thru it myself, ugh.

Completely agree about not gearing Phoenix any more.
  • Options
    el_mago wrote: »

But going for HMF requires some really good Bounty Hunters to unlock Chewie, though, right? That's a difficult event, as I'm slowly slogging thru it myself, ugh.

You also need Bounty Hunter ships to unlock the Falcon. Bossk and Boba are no-brainers to power up and Cad is not bad. Only IG-88 is a questionable choice (though you need to at least star up his ship to qualify). Dengar is highly recommended for the Chewie event and BH squads in general but a bit of a pain to farm, only appearing in the Guild Store.
  • AM2Rainman
    247 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    el_mago wrote: »

You also need Bounty Hunter ships to unlock the Falcon. Bossk and Boba are no-brainers to power up and Cad is not bad. Only IG-88 is a questionable choice (though you need to at least star up his ship to qualify). Dengar is highly recommended for the Chewie event and BH squads in general but a bit of a pain to farm, only appearing in the Guild Store.

Don't forget you get Jango from the same node as the Hounds Tooth. I did it with the team you listed because of dual use of the first 4 and Dengar is a solid choice, as you pointed out, but knowing what I know now, I probably would have subbed out 88 for Jango.
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!

Thinking I'll give the stun gun to KRU, even though I'm not using him outside of his ship at the moment. Bastila I'll be using more but not quite yet. Obviously I'll be using her to get 7* GMY and JKR but she'll also be a part of my planned endgame arena team (JKR, Bastila, GMY, Jolee, GK). All that is in the future though.
  • Options
    KRU is a great tank you can sub into other lineups if you don't have one. He was my first ship to seven stars, and he's still in my fleet arena team. Eventually he will be replaced when i go all empire, but he still works on defense in GAC. I personally don't think you'll regret any gear you put on him.
  • Options
    @BB6

You've already made the decision, but just wanted to chime in to say that you made the right one.

That Mk5 StunGun on Kylo is the last one KRU needs. I mean the very last. You can take KRU to relics without ever adding another stun gun.

When I'm stuck deciding on which character needs a stun gun more, the tiebreaker for me is always, "Is this character just going to get stuck behind another StunGun requirement on the very next gear tier?"

Toons like Kylo that can take a stun gun and then race through more than one gear tear without getting stuck again are more likely to get the stun gun, assuming other things are close to equal.

Of course sometimes it's a meta toon or something and you can't help but give them stun gun after stun gun - I gave 8 to GL rey. But I'm talking about the times where the benefits of the different toons really aren't different enough to make the choice obvious on the basis of the toon or faction itself.

That's when this tiebreaker comes into play, and it seemed to me like you were in a similar place in making this decision.

Anyway, good luck, and you made the right choice.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    kru is pretty good very early game, and very good once you get slkr. in between those times? ehh
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    K
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    @BB6

You've already made the decision, but just wanted to chime in to say that you made the right one.

That Mk5 StunGun on Kylo is the last one KRU needs. I mean the very last. You can take KRU to relics without ever adding another stun gun.

When I'm stuck deciding on which character needs a stun gun more, the tiebreaker for me is always, "Is this character just going to get stuck behind another StunGun requirement on the very next gear tier?"

Toons like Kylo that can take a stun gun and then race through more than one gear tear without getting stuck again are more likely to get the stun gun, assuming other things are close to equal.

Of course sometimes it's a meta toon or something and you can't help but give them stun gun after stun gun - I gave 8 to GL rey. But I'm talking about the times where the benefits of the different toons really aren't different enough to make the choice obvious on the basis of the toon or faction itself.

That's when this tiebreaker comes into play, and it seemed to me like you were in a similar place in making this decision.

Anyway, good luck, and you made the right choice.

Thanks for this. Makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, it felt right when I did it. This game throws so much at you and it's easy to feel like you have to juggle 10 things at once but the reality is if I just focus on one it's not like I'll fall too far behind on anything else. Right now I'm kind of in a holding pattern so to speak until I reach Level 85 and can do the R2D2 and CLS events so my primary focus is ships (as well as gradually farming STH, Leia and FBL, and finishing Old Ben). That means gearing up my pilots is a must (TFP, KRU, Biggs, Tarkin for capital ship).
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    Snowbird13 wrote: »
    KRU is a great tank you can sub into other lineups if you don't have one. He was my first ship to seven stars, and he's still in my fleet arena team. Eventually he will be replaced when i go all empire, but he still works on defense in GAC. I personally don't think you'll regret any gear you put on him.

Me too. Still can't get over the KRU/Tie Silencer node. Farming both has been a breeze. He'll be in my fleet arena team for awhile. Reading around it seems that a lineup of:

Executrix

Tie Fighter
    Biggs X-Wing
    Tie Silencer

Tie Advanced
    Slave I

is the best fleet arena team for any beginner until late game, where the current meta is Home One lead with Han's Falcon and Hound's Tooth. I have the capital ship and starting lineup, just farming Tie Advanced and Slave I now. All that to say, yeah I'll get a lot of use out of KRU.
  • Options
    Biggs only really works with rebels, IMO. Honestly the best early ships you can get are the bug ships. I never have because I hate geonosians, but they are hard to beat. You can farm them from the fleet and gw store. HT and bossk are one of the best ships in the game. Even though you cant farm bossk yet, you can start on HT(which will also give you Jango). In early fleet shards, the person with the best HT wins.

And rebels are not the meta. Malovence and Negotiators are.
  • Options
    BB6 wrote: »

Me too. Still can't get over the KRU/Tie Silencer node. Farming both has been a breeze. He'll be in my fleet arena team for awhile. Reading around it seems that a lineup of:

Executrix

Tie Fighter
    Biggs X-Wing
    Tie Silencer

Tie Advanced
    Slave I

is the best fleet arena team for any beginner until late game, where the current meta is Home One lead with Han's Falcon and Hound's Tooth. I have the capital ship and starting lineup, just farming Tie Advanced and Slave I now. All that to say, yeah I'll get a lot of use out of KRU.
    KRU and Slicer will serve you well early on and the investment is not wasted long term but that fleet will run into a wall as your fleet arena shard progresses and Rebels are no longer the recommended path. They have been replaced as the arena and are very gear-intensive.

If you have Discord, check out the Imperial Fleet server - https://discord.gg/WGUDkH
  • Options
    General Hux and Finalizer are Negotiator killers. That means that it's a good idea to keep pushing KRU. When the time comes for killing negotiators, after all, you're gonna want more than g10.

Although he seems to lose strength mid-game and late game, if you push him to relics early he can be a monster to defeat and can time-out against early-to-mid-game squads by himself. In End-game he returns to prominence with SLKR, Hux, and SiT.

At g12, I admit he doesn't hold up against other g12 toons in the way you'd like, so be aware that up to g11 is fine, and relic is great, but I wouldn't give him g12 until you're ready to go straight to relics. Then it's worth it.
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    Biggs only really works with rebels, IMO. Honestly the best early ships you can get are the bug ships. I never have because I hate geonosians, but they are hard to beat. You can farm them from the fleet and gw store. HT and bossk are one of the best ships in the game. Even though you cant farm bossk yet, you can start on HT(which will also give you Jango). In early fleet shards, the person with the best HT wins.

Yeah I'm realizing the guide I've been reading is pretty dated. Have to remember this game has been around for awhile and gone through some reworks.
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options

Also, given what you've said, seems I can't go wrong with farming Geo ships then. I would end up using them for a Malevolence fleet and they still count as dark side ships for zeta farming. Should I put the other ships I'm working on (Silencer, Tie Fighter, Biggs X-Wing, and farming Tie Advanced and Slave 1) on hold and start focusing my resources on Geo ships or keep plugging away at the fleet I already have as well?
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    And thanks again for all the advice guys! I'm trying to do this and make decisions on my own but sometimes asking for your thoughts helps get me focused since I feel like I'm considering 1000 different agendas at once haha!
  • Options
    And thanks again for all the advice guys! I'm trying to do this and make decisions on my own but sometimes asking for your thoughts helps get me focused since I feel like I'm considering 1000 different agendas at once haha!

The best advice I find is to focus on one objective and have a lot of patience and determination to see through it. If you wander away from it, you’ll never get anywhere and will actually slow down your progress.

The silencer ship works very well with KR/Phasma/ST’s ship as well.
  • Options

Also, given what you've said, seems I can't go wrong with farming Geo ships then. I would end up using them for a Malevolence fleet and they still count as dark side ships for zeta farming. Should I put the other ships I'm working on (Silencer, Tie Fighter, Biggs X-Wing, and farming Tie Advanced and Slave 1) on hold and start focusing my resources on Geo ships or keep plugging away at the fleet I already have as well?

I would keep after the three tie fighters. You'll need 6 5 star ships(dark side) to get the 6th star on executrix, then 6 6star ships to unlock the final tier of ship ability materials. You'll need that last tier to unlock ship omegas, which are hard to come by. With those 6 dark side ships, you'll have a good jump on arena. And most of the pilots are good characters.(imperial tie fighter pilot is questionable to a lot of people, but i like him)

My advice is to not sleep on ships. Ship arena is much easier to get to the top of than squad. Also their are some important character farms in fleet battles.

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    geo ships ftw
  • Options
    I just looked at your ships. I noticed you have a four star HT. I would focus on him. I love the ITF, but I run a mostly empire fleet. I would drop that in favor of HT. You can take bossk to g11+5 until you get him to 7 star. HT will improve your fleet drastically.
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    Again, thanks for all the input guys. It's a big help and much appreciated.

@Snowbird13 Yeah I got the HT back when I was still spending money. I didn't farm it. I know it's the best ship in the game but hte reason I've been leaving it and using it as a reinforcement is because I don't have the resources to level it up and I also don't have the resources to focus on farming Bossk (nevermind the fact I can't even farm him if I wanted to because I haven't unlocked his node). Bastila and Jolee are my hard node farming priorities right now. So yeah, I've kind of left he and the HT on the backburner but it's obviously in my plans for my endgame fleet.

Wait...just realized you said I can take him to Gear 11+5 before even having to farm him to 7*. I suppose I could do that, yeah. So drop the ITF and sub in HT, along with Tie Silencer and another dark side ship for my fleet (Executrix capital ship, Tie Advanced reinforcement)?
  • Options
    Sounds fine (TIE Adv is a great ship), but seriously, keep plugging away at the Geonosians.

You're still going to need more 5* DS ships for zetas, and they're going to make an excellent fleet core of their own one day.
  • Options
    Gear on the pilots is more important than star levels, at least early on. HT is just there to take abuse so your other ships can survive
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    Sounds fine (TIE Adv is a great ship), but seriously, keep plugging away at the Geonosians.

You're still going to need more 5* DS ships for zetas, and they're going to make an excellent fleet core of their own one day.

Yeah I'm starting to use my fleet currency on the Geonosian ships. You'd suggest farming all of Geo Spy, Geo Soldier and Sun Fac's ships?
  • Options

Yeah I'm starting to use my fleet currency on the Geonosian ships. You'd suggest farming all of Geo Spy, Geo Soldier and Sun Fac's ships?

Yes all three of them. They work best together.
  • Options
    @BB6

What @Snowbird13 said.
  • BB6
    19 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Feel like I've got a pretty good plan now going forward.