Is the mod system broken or is it just me?

2Next

Replies

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    To be fair those are 6e slicing mats but the credit point is valid and I'm betting the lower level mats look similar.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I don't think mods are broken. They are overly complicated with too many variables and we could use a better management system.

Once you figure them out and focus on investing in away that works for you it becomes easier to spot a good mod.

Hopefully a QoL update in the near future will provide a better management and they should make the in game recommendations better.
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    @SithVicious is this you?
    https://swgoh.gg/p/848335662/

This was 2 seconds ago purchase44jdxest4qkf.jpg
    I'm happy with it
    eedtai7mcuc1.jpg
    I have over 100 6E mods which is pretty good for someone with 3.79 million GP.

I've yet to do a mod compare of an opponent where I didn't win on mods.

When I lose it is because the other roster is superior and/or I make a battle mistake.

My mods are decent.

• TVF
    36518 posts Member
    I don't consider number of 6e mods a metric of good mods.

Especially when over 10% of your 6e mods are protection circles.
  • i have to agree with tvf and the others.

mods were designed to slightly imbalance the game a bit and add another layer of leveling to your characters. when the top 100 squad arena all have the same kylo/rey teams, without mods everyone would just be at a standstill and the ranks would be up to RNGesus. finding a good +30 speed primary mod isn't too hard, you can even go to the mod store and buy one for a couple mil(at this point you will have 10+mil currency.) or refresh your mod energy as many times as you want until you get a good speed primary or secondary mod. again here the odds are up to RNGesus, but your overall amount of "good" mods increase with the number of attempts you put into it.

i can understand that some players can't afford mod refreshes, but even then you can grind up to 9 speed mods a day and sell the excess "useless" ones for extra cash. after grinding for a week or two, the chances are that you've already found a +30 speed primary or a 5+ speed secondary mod. once you have a nice stockpile of those lvl 15 mods, around 0.09% of those mods will be 25+ speed secondaries, but the +30 speed primaries will be relatively easy to get.

honestly at any point where you don't have g13 characters or 6e mods, some +13 speed secondaries with a +30 speed primary will work well. it's not until you get top 100-200 arena when you really need to focus on your mod farming.
    no longer a f2p since i bought the hyperdrive bundle
  • TVF wrote: »

I 6e'd a protection circle once... and then I realized that the gain was a pathetic 0.5% and vowed never again! :p

Ah, so the accusation is I lack stored 6E mod slicing mats. I reply, "it's because I have over 100 6E mods which is far more than most players obtain for my GP", and then the next accusation is I'm 6Eing the wrong mods.

I love the intellectual honesty here.
    Every single time I do a mod compare against any opponent I face in GA, TW, even arena on my 5 year old shard, I win with mods. There are bad decisions I make in this game, but my mod farming; slicing; even choosing is not 1 of them.

Now going for zFinn 2 years ago when I started playing again and then CLS instead of the Revans <
    massive royal cluster&^%$ of a decision. But there is a reason I can beat 95% of the players I face that have both Revans and I have a CLS and Padme team, and it's a 4 letter word that starts with "m."

Enter 4 letter words that start with "m":
    m____
    m____
    m____
    m____
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member

Thanks.

Ah, so the accusation is I lack stored 6E mod slicing mats. I reply, "it's because I have over 100 6E mods which is far more than most players obtain for my GP", and then the next accusation is I'm 6Eing the wrong mods.

Every single time I do a mod compare against any opponent I face in GA, TW, even arena on my 5 year old shard, I win with mods. There are bad decisions I make in this game, but my mod farming; slicing; even choosing is not 1 of them.
    Consider me unimpressed...

11nc5yxi3vbb.png
    yjc4w2ewyfk4.png

PS You seem to be missing 20+ 6e mods
  • Mephisto_style
    5724 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    9px1xt9kqnsw.jpg
    TVF wrote: »

Consider me unimpressed...

11nc5yxi3vbb.png
    yjc4w2ewyfk4.png

PS You seem to be missing 20+ 6e mods

That's not me.... this is me. The game has a lot of Mephistos....
    consider me unimpressed, lol.

• Mods is the only thing that is fun in this game for me lately.
  • U235 wrote: »
    First off let me start by saying I HATE the mod system... I find it hard to understand what is a good mod and what mods suck... When I get a mod it can have anywhere from 3 base speed secondary to 6 base speed secondary and that is mainly the only stat I pay attention to... I farm mods all the time and it is hard for me to understand what a good mod is... when I have the game auto mod my toons it does something totally off the wall and I wish I could understand the whole system better. Add to the fact that People are making programs that access the game and rearrange all your mods with the click of a button and CG is doing nothing to stop these programs or even acknowledge them. What some call a quality of life improvement, I call a ToS violation. Why can CG not make a system to help us with all this and not leave it to handing your account over to a 3rd party and have them go in and mod your toons for you... or have a program store your mod setups with one easy click of the button? I work over 70 hours a week and play this game on the go.... I don't want to spend that down time remodding characters for events then moving mods back before a GAC and TW/TB. This is less like a game and more of a job.

Sounds to me like the 10 bucks it costs to get one of these services would be beneficial to you then working them long weeks.
  • U235 wrote: »
    First off let me start by saying I HATE the mod system... I find it hard to understand what is a good mod and what mods suck... When I get a mod it can have anywhere from 3 base speed secondary to 6 base speed secondary and that is mainly the only stat I pay attention to... I farm mods all the time and it is hard for me to understand what a good mod is... when I have the game auto mod my toons it does something totally off the wall and I wish I could understand the whole system better. Add to the fact that People are making programs that access the game and rearrange all your mods with the click of a button and CG is doing nothing to stop these programs or even acknowledge them. What some call a quality of life improvement, I call a ToS violation. Why can CG not make a system to help us with all this and not leave it to handing your account over to a 3rd party and have them go in and mod your toons for you... or have a program store your mod setups with one easy click of the button? I work over 70 hours a week and play this game on the go.... I don't want to spend that down time remodding characters for events then moving mods back before a GAC and TW/TB. This is less like a game and more of a job.

Sounds to me like the 10 bucks it costs to get one of these services would be beneficial to you then working them long weeks.

That is the problem... i could buy a service and then have my account banned due to it being against the ToS... 3rd party programs that do mods for you like Hotbot or giving another player access to your account is a clear violation... and I have spent to much money on my account to take that chance.
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    U235 wrote: »
    U235 wrote: »

That is the problem... i could buy a service and then have my account banned due to it being against the ToS... 3rd party programs that do mods for you like Hotbot or giving another player access to your account is a clear violation... and I have spent to much money on my account to take that chance.

The video someone linked 'The Playbook' is hands down the best explanation and teaching on mods I've ever seen. Watch them a few times, take some notes, and you should be in a much better shape.

Using load outs (which I have to learn myself) should alleviate the pain of switching them around for you 0 you click one button and get all the mods you want on the character you want. Click another and they go back.

Mods are becoming one of my favorite parts of the game, and using the stuff I've learned from The Playbook I'm making some rapid improvements in my mod collection, next step is to make sure I'm optimized on toons.
  • DaarthBrewer
    1954 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Your mod problem is you, man. You don't have a logical and consistent mod farm/slice strategy. At least not a great 1 that works for you if you have this problem.

I agree with that.
    I only buy gold +4/5 speed mods and up them.
    Only buy +5 speed, and only if the other secondaries match the set.

I only farm slice mats.
    I slice all +speed 8 or more mods to max
    Every day in 60 seconds.
    I never farm new mods with energy.
    I slice 6E a lot for my GP
    The rest of that is bad advice.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.

• Your mod problem is you, man. You don't have a logical and consistent mod farm/slice strategy. At least not a great 1 that works for you if you have this problem.

I agree with that.
    I only buy gold +4/5 speed mods and up them.
    Only buy +5 speed, and only if the other secondaries match the set.

I only farm slice mats.
    I slice all +speed 8 or more mods to max
    Every day in 60 seconds.
    I never farm new mods with energy.
    I slice 6E a lot for my GP
    The rest of that is bad advice.

2 things:
    1st, I love it when people make arguments without evidence.
    2nd, it wasn't advice; it was what I do. I don't care if you think it is bad, it works for me.