Pilot Power

Stayontarget2016
197 posts Member
edited October 2021
What character traits affect pilot power?
Level, gear, abiliites,stars,zetas?
Im trying to figure out what to do to characters i wont use in the game but will use their ships
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Everything.
  • @Stayontarget2016
    Khdelboy is correct: everything affects crew power, but it doesn't affect crew power in the exact same way that it affects the toon itself, so something that makes you go up 1000 gp doesn't necessarily (in fact, it might not ever) cause you to go up exactly 1000 in crew power for your ship. Some things affect the ship more than they affect the character and some affect the character more than the ship.

There's actually a formula that was datamined and posted on reddit, but I can't remember the details. If it's important to you to know exactly how each thing affects crew power, you can search it out on google. .But if you just want to know which things help? You already got the answer: It's all of them, Katie.
  • Stayontarget2016
    197 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Ill google the answer. Im not putting a zeta on some toons that will never see action
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    This will help you out: https://apps.crouchingrancor.com/
    But as already said twice: Literally everything counts.
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Mod color is the only thing that doesn't affect ship stats, but does affect GP. A gold 5*, level 15 mod is the same as a grey one.
  • Jakdnels
    787 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Mod color is the only thing that doesn't affect ship stats, but does affect GP. A gold 5*, level 15 mod is the same as a grey one.

I believe that was one true but not anymore...

Actually now that I look, I think you're right. Not sure where I got that stuck in my head
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Ill google the answer. Im not putting a zeta on some toons that will never see action

abilities have an effect on ship speed, there are times where having the zeta (+1 ships speed) can be helpful.
  • Kyno wrote: »

abilities have an effect on ship speed, there are times where having the zeta (+1 ships speed) can be helpful.
    A zeta is not guaranteed to add +1 speed. It may put you over the threshold for the next point of speed or it may not.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

A zeta is not guaranteed to add +1 speed. It may put you over the threshold for the next point of speed or it may not.

I thought that was only the case for non zeta upgrades, but the zeta was always a full +1 add. but i could be wrong, i guess most times i have all other abilities maxed (short of a zeta), and it would be impossible to get that speed without the zeta.
  • Let's put it this way. ALL speed additions come from crew power, not ship upgrades.

Ship speeds gets at least + 60 for the vast majority of ships, including CapShips.

Is a zeta worth 1/60th of the total crew power? As it turns out, it's very very close.

Therefore 1 zeta gets you +1 speed except in a few corner cases. In those corner cases when you're very, very close to your next +1 and you're zeta'ing the pilot of a particularly fast ship, it's possible to get +2 from a single zeta. On the other hand, with slower ships if you're particularly far away from the next +1 speed it's theoretically possible to get +0.

That said, if you get +0 from a zeta, you've put yourself incredibly close to the next plus one speed and upgrading a couple mods to 6-Dot or adding just a single gear piece should put you over the top.

So... is it worth it to zeta a pilot just for ship speed?

As it turns out, head to head matchups with Negotiator can easily turn on which Nego gets to AoE first (because they get assists from their ships while Dazing the other side which then can't assist the enemy Nego and thus severely limits opposing damage). Sure, it's possible to come back from going 2nd, but you're much better off going first. So taking GK all the way to r7 and adding the zeta and giving him a full complement of 6-Dot mods is sure as heck worth it because it's not uncommon for your victory to turn on your Nego's ship speed.

On the other hand, if your pilot is g12 and you're not interested in that pilot's zeta, there's PLENTY of room for speed improvement without dropping the zeta.

In general, I find CapShips you plan to run maxed in head-to-head matches are worth a zeta that doesn't help you in squad much (Holdo, for instance). Other ships, especially reinforcements and/or ships that can gain TurnMeter aren't worth a zeta strictly for ship performance.

And, yes, I know that it affects more than speed, but turn order is still more important than 3% more health & protection Whatever you get from adding a zeta, I seriously doubt it's a full 3%.
  • Omegas and Zetas do the same thing for ships. The skill ability level 8 is all that matters. The link Kisakee provided has the details you need although there are other discussions with more details.

Only add a zeta if you want it for the character or really need to max out a ship. It’s not a worthwhile investment and is not guaranteed to add one to speed.
  • In the day and age of relics, if you want to use their ships for anything other than staring at them, you need to take the pilots to relic. Back before relics, you could stop at g11 just to make sure you unlocked all the abilities. This is no longer enough though if your facing a r7 piloted ship.

With that said, there are 2 ships where you don't need to do this. Plo for negotiator and cass for rebels. Both are reinforcement ships for a single purpose which is fullfilled on their first turn. For cass, I would take pilots to g11 for the ability unlock. For plo you can leave fairly low. G8 or g9
  • TVF
    36589 posts Member
    Aandien wrote: »
    In the day and age of relics, if you want to use their ships for anything other than staring at them, you need to take the pilots to relic. Back before relics, you could stop at g11 just to make sure you unlocked all the abilities. This is no longer enough though if your facing a r7 piloted ship.

With that said, there are 2 ships where you don't need to do this. Plo for negotiator and cass for rebels. Both are reinforcement ships for a single purpose which is fullfilled on their first turn. For cass, I would take pilots to g11 for the ability unlock. For plo you can leave fairly low. G8 or g9

Mal says hi.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Everything about a crew member affects ship power and speed, the higher power a crew is, the better. Except mods are different. For mods dots are all that matters. To max your crew you need 6 dot mods. Doesn't matter what mods, or if they even make sets. Just dots.
  • Mod color is the only thing that doesn't affect ship stats, but does affect GP. A gold 5*, level 15 mod is the same as a grey one.

I just tested that theory, being a new player. Changed a 4 dot green lvl 15 with a 5 dot purple lvl 15. Lost damage, cc and potency. Only by 2 to 10 points. So, really, no one really knows. I do know upgrading gear affects protection.
  • Tmagus wrote: »
    Mod color is the only thing that doesn't affect ship stats, but does affect GP. A gold 5*, level 15 mod is the same as a grey one.

I just tested that theory, being a new player. Changed a 4 dot green lvl 15 with a 5 dot purple lvl 15. Lost damage, cc and potency. Only by 2 to 10 points. So, really, no one really knows. I do know upgrading gear affects protection.

Screenshots? This doesn’t match my experience. 5 dot mods of any colour will give better crew stats than 4 dot mods.
  • The boost from Mods goes up with Dots, not Color. Assuming all else equal.

I guess you could get some sort of negative hit if your character GP went down?

This is all assuming that the actual "Crew Power" # has anything to do character GP.

I'm not sure if it does or not or if it is strictly a total of all the individual points you get from each Gear, Ability, Level, & Mod.