Is JKL gonna be required for either of the new GLs?

Replies

• Darion
    75 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Kyno wrote: »
    I mean I see no reason that any of the Lukes are not far game. Maybe even all of them.

I know some other individuals commented on this as well, but JKL is practically Galactic Legend - Lite. Literally requires half the gear resources that were required for either GL and on top of that you need to farm hyoda and wampa who are both GET currency toons. I think unless you are putting Malak into it (even that is not equivalent but is closer I suppose) its not a fair inclusion, so if Malak or another heroes journey part 2 event for a darkside character we dont have, comes out... then it could be fair.

albeit the required for both is a fair argument, but there is v. little relation between the two characters except for his quest to try and find him... but like come-on
  • Genpaku408 wrote: »
    If not, CG's not thinking money

Hard to get me to spend money when it's GET1 I need and I can't buy it. Queue all the "I've only been playing for 6 months and I have Hermit Yoda and Wampa 7* and I also buy gear and shards and you should have them there too and if you don't you're a piece of trash and dumb" responses
  • They could make JKL a requirement for Master Luke and only good toons.

To compensate the fact that JKL is needed for Master luke and not for Palp, they will make bunch of useless toons required for Palp like RG and Krenik.

So if you go for Master Luke you will have only good Relic toons and if you go for Palp you will get lots of Garbage toons in your roster
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Whatelse73 wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    I dont think they will make him required because there is no toon like that on the other side....unless they make him required for both......which now that I think about...yup, he will be required for both.

Definitely a solid possibility. But I'm sure many of us are ready for JKL the next time he appears. After that it'll be dealing with Piett and Threepachew as the challenge, along with the other marquee toons we've gotten that they'll tag as requirements.

Me as well, JKL ready...just have to do the panic farm for 3bacca and Mon. Wanted to gear up Mando as he is almost 7*(71/100)...but backburner he goes. I wonder if the requirements will be actually required for the event or "Rey/SLKR event" required.

I'm in the same boat, so I am somewhat glad they announced the GL so early. I think in 10 days, I would've geared Mando / Greef to g13 and regretted the gear spent on them if the announcement came afterwards
  • Luke probally required for both new legendaries, and his event may not return before we get the new legendaries that way they limit the amount of new legendaries. Kind of makes sense lots of panic and no payout.
  • Luke probally required for both new legendaries, and his event may not return before we get the new legendaries that way they limit the amount of new legendaries. Kind of makes sense lots of panic and no payout.
    You do realise GL events are permanently available, right?

Even if Luke is required and even if his event comes after GL release (which would be days after at that point, not months), do you really think those few days would make any considerable difference?
  • If Jedi Luke is required for Grumpy Luke, then C3po R5 is the easiest requirement by far.

As has been noted, GL events are up 24/7/365, so... not an issue?

But since that's not an issue, what's MUCH more likely is bringing JKL's event back before all the requirements are known so that people panic-spend to get JKL and then find out he's not required for anything.

Ya gotta think like all the money in the world is not enough, then you can more accurately predict what's gonna happen.

...In the meantime, I wasn't particularly paying attention to JKL - when people say he's behind a GET wall, y'all just mean that HY & Wampa are required, right? They're not making us buy JKL shards to go from 5* to 7* like with GAS & Malak, right?

I have GET stashed just in case, and I think I remember that JKL unlocks at 7*, but I just thought I'd confirm.
  • BobcatSkywalker
    2194 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Luke probally required for both new legendaries, and his event may not return before we get the new legendaries that way they limit the amount of new legendaries. Kind of makes sense lots of panic and no payout.

Even if Luke is required and even if his event comes after GL release (which would be days after at that point, not months), do you really think those few days would make any considerable difference?

Days no... But if it's several months then yes.

What's the point in time when it becomes a problem? Depends on poin of view I guess. How long would be okay with you? Just curious.

Have they announced a date? You seem sure it will happen withing days... Why? Maybe I missed the announcement.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Luke probally required for both new legendaries, and his event may not return before we get the new legendaries that way they limit the amount of new legendaries. Kind of makes sense lots of panic and no payout.

What's the point in time when it becomes a problem? Depends on poin of view I guess. How long would be okay with you? Just curious.

Have they announced a date? You seem sure it will happen withing days... Why? Maybe I missed the announcement.

There's never been a six month wait for a toon to return.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

To be fair, there's never been an event like JKL either. It already had unusually short notice, so anything is possible.
  • MasterSeedy
    5035 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    JKL was not an "Epic Confrontation", so we don't know for absolute sure, but the return date on JKR, DR, Malak & GAS all point to a 90-ish day first cycle. And it's in their interest to keep the cycle short, b/c then people will be surprised by the cycle and feel forced to spend lest they wait another 80-90 days.

The last appearance of this event was 71 days ago. In all likelihood the event will return beginning sometime 9 to 29 days from now.

The new GL requirements are supposed to be released by 4 weeks from the first announcement, which was just a couple days ago, therefore you shouldn't count on the GL event beginning for 25 days.

The long end of the time range for JKL's event is 29 days, only 4 days after the early end of the timeframe for the new GL release.

So this statement to which you were responding:

is perfectly apt. We'll probably have the JKL event return first, but IF not, THEN it's still only a few days of difference, based on everything we know so far.

Everything we know so far:
    Could they dramatically break with past practices when scheduling 2nd JKL? Sure. The return of JKL could take several months after the GL releases, but then you're talking about a 6 month cycle for the 2nd occurrence of the event. That's atypically long.

Emperor's Demise: 63 days.
    Pieces & Plans 71 days.
    Clash on Camino took 77 days.
    Scourge of the Old Republic 80 days.
    Contact Protocol 83 days.
    Rey's Hero's Journey: 90 days.
    Daring Droid 91 days.
    One Famous Wookie 91 days.
    Legend of the Old Republic 105 days
    Artist of War 114 days.
    Star Forge Showdown 125 days.

So... I guess with SFSD you'd be talking about a JKL return up to 29 days after GL release. Definitely not "several months". I still think Clash on Camino is the better comparison because there were a couple weird things with release dates on the Old Republic characters and Clash on Camino is the most recent event to which JKL might be legitimately compared. (CLS's original Hero's Journey is the only event I found with a longer return time frame than SFSD, by the way, but it's a Hero's Journey and it's old as dirt - I wouldn't want to compare to that one.)

Anyway, the actual release-of-event isn't likely to happen the same day as the announcement of the last requirements. That's not how they did GL Rey and SLKR. So although a return time frame of 125 could theoretically happen, that still wouldn't necessarily be 29 days after the release of JML.

I think they'll stick with the 4 weeks to release all the requirements, then 5-15 days after that for the event to begin.

That would mean that a Jedi Revan timeframe would result in the return of the JKL event 1 to 11 days before the JML event. An Artist of War timeframe means JKL's return happens 8 days after to 2 days before the JML event. A StarForge Showdown timeframe means return of JKL 5 to 15 days after the JML release.

I've already given my reasons why I think that CLS's Hero's Journey, already an outlier, is unlikely to be the appropriate model for this event's cycle.

So, there you have it, everything we know, with all the different events to which you could compare says that the best money bets that JKL will return before GL JML is released. But even if that's not true, no serious bettors would put money on the prospect of no JKL event until several months after GL JML release.

To be honest, no serious money would even bet on JML being released 3 weeks before the return of JKL.

The scenario you're talking about just isn't plausible.
  • khdelboy
    754 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    It’s pretty certain that JKL, and FB Luke would be required for GLJMLS. It’s certain that GLPapaP will require Darth Sidious.

The biggest problem I have at the moment with the requirements is Mon Mothma, as I would have to gear up the Rebel Fighters faction a lot to make sure that MM is useable in GAC/TW. I know I don’t have to, but I don’t think having a R5 MM sitting in my roster doing nothing at all is a good idea.

So I know I wouldn’t get the new GLs for a while and I’m fine with that.
  • khdelboy wrote: »
    The biggest problem I have at the moment with the requirements is Mon Mothma, as I would have to gear up the Rebel Fighters faction a lot to make sure that MM is useable in GAC/TW. I know I don’t have to, but I don’t think having a R5 MM sitting in my roster doing nothing at all is a good idea.
    Hopefully we get a few at least half-usable Rebel Fighters in the next sets of requirements. Biggs for instance, who is not the first pick for Mothma but at least also comes with a good ship.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    khdelboy wrote: »
    It’s pretty certain that JKL, and FB Luke would be required for GLJMLS. It’s certain that GLPapaP will require Darth Sidious.

Not certain, just probable. The only requirements that can be considered certain are those already released. Unless you have some extra info, in which case you should share your source.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    JKL was not an "Epic Confrontation", so we don't know for absolute sure, but the return date on JKR, DR, Malak & GAS

JKR and DR were also not "Epic Confrontations"
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »

To be fair, there's never been an event like JKL either. It already had unusually short notice, so anything is possible.

Possible, sure. Unlikely though.
  • @khdelboy

If you're getting JKL, though (and I also think JKL will be required for GL JML), you're gearing up Lando anyway.

Odds are you've geared either Bistan+Scarif or Cassian+Jyn+K2 for ships - at least to g11, possibly to g12. If you've been around long enough, Biggs should be a guaranteed g12 from ships, though I recognize that not everyone has been around that long.

If you were around when HSTR was released you may very well have geared up Chirrut & Pao to g12 (I did).

Then there's Hoth Rebel Scout, who is fantastic with Mon Mothma and very, very easy to gear once you give Scout a single Stun Gun at g8.

For me, making MM usable means off-the-shelf Chirrut & Pao, one stun gun for HRScout, and then picking just a single toon to boost up to g12 if I don't just shrug and use Lando (r3 for JKL) or Biggs (g12 for ships).

Making MM usable isn't going to be very hard.
  • JKR and DR were also not "Epic Confrontations"

My bad.

I did realize that, but I originally wrote the sentence just talking about GAS & Malak, then when I edited it to include JKR and DR I failed to update the wording to reflect that I was no longer just talking bout ECs.
  • khdelboy
    754 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    Nauros wrote: »
    khdelboy wrote: »

Not certain, just probable. The only requirements that can be considered certain are those already released. Unless you have some extra info, in which case you should share your source.

My source is my own thoughts, based on the last two GLs. Both GLs included all of their variations.

Don’t take anything too literal on the internet and you’ll be doing fine.
  • @khdelboy

If you're getting JKL, though (and I also think JKL will be required for GL JML), you're gearing up Lando anyway.

Odds are you've geared either Bistan+Scarif or Cassian+Jyn+K2 for ships - at least to g11, possibly to g12. If you've been around long enough, Biggs should be a guaranteed g12 from ships, though I recognize that not everyone has been around that long.

If you were around when HSTR was released you may very well have geared up Chirrut & Pao to g12 (I did).

Then there's Hoth Rebel Scout, who is fantastic with Mon Mothma and very, very easy to gear once you give Scout a single Stun Gun at g8.

For me, making MM usable means off-the-shelf Chirrut & Pao, one stun gun for HRScout, and then picking just a single toon to boost up to g12 if I don't just shrug and use Lando (r3 for JKL) or Biggs (g12 for ships).

Making MM usable isn't going to be very hard.

I haven’t focused on most of the RF faction over the years apart from Wedge and Biggs who are nearly G12. The R1 squad isn’t much to look at.

But I know I will be gearing them up and make a decent RF team. It will be a long time before I even start on that.
  • Eweff
    400 posts Member
    I’m just going to wait for the Meetra Surik Galactic Legend
  • @Eweff

Mara Jade.
  • Seems most likely he’ll be required for both or neither, since there isn’t a similar character on the dark side that’d be for GL Palp.

Wampa shards also come from one of the galactic bounties. Soon as those came out, I stopped spending GET1 on Wampa and slow farmed him there. Hoda is another story but newer players have the benefit of not having to waste any GET1 currency on Wampa at all, so long as they’re patient enough to farm Wampa strictly from Galactic Bounties
  • Stiehl wrote: »
    Seems most likely he’ll be required for both or neither, since there isn’t a similar character on the dark side that’d be for GL Palp.

Wampa shards also come from one of the galactic bounties. Soon as those came out, I stopped spending GET1 on Wampa and slow farmed him there. Hoda is another story but newer players have the benefit of not having to waste any GET1 currency on Wampa at all, so long as they’re patient enough to farm Wampa strictly from Galactic Bounties

Galactic Bounties I only comes around about every 50 days or so and you can get 20 shards.

Using only that to get shards for a character that is a requirement to get another character (big assumption here at this point) will literally take years. That's a little more patience than I have.
    https://swgoh.gg/p/319514721/
    DISCLAIMER: Post is subject to change.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    ImaSmakya wrote: »
    Stiehl wrote: »
    Seems most likely he’ll be required for both or neither, since there isn’t a similar character on the dark side that’d be for GL Palp.

Galactic Bounties I only comes around about every 50 days or so and you can get 20 shards.

Using only that to get shards for a character that is a requirement to get another character (big assumption here at this point) will literally take years. That's a little more patience than I have.

You're totally right, you need half the time if you spend some GET1 for Wampa too. Depending on your guild, you could gain about 10k GET1 per month thanks to TB, TW and a little in GAC (18* in DSTB, 6* in LSTB, 4 defeat in TW, zero promotion in GAC), that's 120k per year, and t's a fairly conservative number.

1 shard of Hyoda/Wampa cost 270 GET1(15 per 4050 GET1), so about 37 per month, 444 per year
    20 shards of Wampa every 50 days, so about 140 per year

So, in a year, you gain about 584 shards. You need 660 shards for both Wampa and Hyoda, so if you focus your GET1 on them and have the BH team to take on GB, you'll need about 13-14 months to farm them both all the way to 7*. Not that bad considering the scale of the game. In 14 months you could have unlocked 2 GL, maybe a DS one you like next year and bench JKL as soon as you unlock him though, but hey, that's the way it is I guess ^^

@Stiehl If you only use GB for Wampa, considering a Wampa's GB every 50 days, you'll need about 28 months. If you plan to have your JKL requirements ready for the anniversary of ROTJ in 2 years, you might be a couple of months short ;)

• Galactic Bounties I only comes around about every 50 days or so and you can get 20 shards.

Well, it's only 800 days for 320 shards. You don't want to wait just 800 days after you assemble your g9 BHs? That can't be more than 1000 days total. >:)
  • I do think that JKL will be required.
    There have been tons of questions and speculations about the new GL requirements, specifically around whether the old GLs or JKL would be required.
    The devs confirmed through Kyno and later through their own post - no previous GLs will be required.
    The fact that they remained so silent about JKL while addressing the “other half” of the question makes me pretty sure he will be required.
  • bchased64
    47 posts Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't think JKL will be required. I get that people are pointing to the first set of GL as references, saying that all of the incarnation of that character was required. However, the first set of GLs did not have a required character that included 9-10 of his own character requirement. The first set of GLs also didn't require a character that required obtaining GET1 tokens, let alone two in this instance with JKL. I know some people who just started 6 months ago and they already have SLKR. That timeframe would be impossible with the new GLs if JKL is required since both Wampa and Hermit Yoda require such a huge amount of GET1. You're looking at 178,200 GET1 between the both of them. So for a new player, how long is that going to take? Definitely not 6 months. You're looking at 1.5 - 3 years depending on your guild. Will this game be around for another 1.5 - 3 years? With that type of uncertainty, do you really think any new player will even waste their time?

Furthermore, I'm expecting these new GLs to be on the same level as the old GLs unless they are of a different breed, say "Super Galactic Legends". Nothing so far points to them being Super GLs. Imagine the outrage if these new GLs were to easily handle the old GLs. So if they are supposed to be on the same level as other Galactic Legends, how can you justify having a requirement of 20+ characters compared to the previous GL's 13-character requirement? I know they confirmed that it's now 15 characters for the new GLs but it would be a slap in the face to a lot of the new players to add JKL to an already increased requirement. It would be more profitable for them to make the new GLs purchasable and not "behind a GET1 wall" as someone mentioned earlier. I'm someone who has spent a boatload of money on this game in less than a year and just like I did with JKL, if they put him behind that GET1 wall, I'm not chasing him and there goes money they could've had. Be wise, CG. Keep the new players in mind just like you did with the release of the first set of GLs.

On a final note, it seems the only people here demanding JKL to be included are the ones who already have him and want JMLS to be exclusive to a small subset of the veteran player base.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    *raises hand*
This discussion has been closed.