Is JKL gonna be required for either of the new GLs?

Replies

• I hoarded 2 zetas for JKL but he didnt come back and i got tired of hoarding so i used them for mom mothma and piett

2 is not hoarding. FWIW. 250 zeta mats and 498 omega mats...NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL HOARDING!!!

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • @Nikoms565

Yeah, when I hit 250 zetas I'm at the point where i have to spend them. When I get down below 200 zetas I start to worry I don't have enough on hand. So for me 250 = hoarder, 150 = dangerously low inventory.
  • bchased64 wrote: »
    Funny how quickly people’s memory fades.. these packs were released with JKL. I don’t see any reason they couldn’t return or have a different format?

Oh yippee, a one-time purchase of 12 shards for Hoda giving me a whopping 12/330. That solves all problems.

See where I said the packs may return or they may make new packs? Guess what, they make new packs all the time, I don’t see any reason they couldn’t introduce a new pack with those toons. Also that purchase limit may be per event, you don’t know. Just because you didn’t choose to prioritise toons with get1 doesn’t make it everyone else’s problem.

I also don’t have wampa 7* and will miss out next time jkl comes around despite having everything else done to r3, but I think jkl will be a requirement and it would make absolute sense. Guess what, I’m f2p. And a good number of the members of my guild are also f2p and also have both wampa and hyoda 7*.

At the end of the day this is a game about collecting and grinding, I don’t understand whales when they complain they have nothing to do in game because they’ve already bought everything. If they took their time a bit more there would be more to do.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Nikoms565

Yeah, when I hit 250 zetas I'm at the point where i have to spend them. When I get down below 200 zetas I start to worry I don't have enough on hand. So for me 250 = hoarder, 150 = dangerously low inventory.

Sounds about right.

I start to look for useful zetas when I get over 220, planning what I can, if there is no direct need.
  • @bchased64 My picture is one year old and those packs were not available on the first release of JKL.

I consider JKL's release as a way to please old players and to give an extra goal to starwars fan. I'm sure CG could easily re-release those packs if JKL is needed for a new GL. Don't be afraid, EA/CG will find a way to make you spend money ;)
  • Forget JKL, Who thinks that GL Rey or GL Kylo are needed?
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    So far the first GLs needed all their former selves. So why would Luke or Palp be any different? Needing Luke would make GL Luke a more difficult farm and would probably steer more people into farming Palp.
  • Pretty sure it will be announced as a requirement this week together with announcement that the JKL event returns next week during LS Geos TB. Then it will trigger some panic farming for both the GLs event and to a lesser extend LS TB use.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    Schriefer wrote: »
    Forget JKL, Who thinks that GL Rey or GL Kylo are needed?
    Nobody that spent a few seconds on reading the official announcement instead of pulling a baseless (and already refuted) speculation out of thin air.
  • Larx wrote: »
    why is everybody talking about a GET wall? And why is everyone whining about NOT getting Hoda or Wampa Shards by buying?

this is - as far as i know - the first situation in this game where you can see, who made their decisions.

i decided to go for toons, so i have wampa and hoda a 7* - another people decided to go for gear, so they have more toons beyond G12, etc.

it would be a real punch in the face for everyone if you could purchase Wampa or Hoda Shards!

if so, CG can as well sell Zeta Mats.
    There are different categories of people without Wampa and Hoda at 7*.

There are long serving players who chose not to farm them when they appeared, and have continued to neglect them only now to realise they are months away from meeting JKL requirements.

There are newer players who have spent all their GET1 on Malak, GAS first, then ignored Hoda and Wampa and bought gear instead.

But there are people who are very new to the game, perhaps dropping some serious coin on it, who have not earned the GET1 required to get Malak, GAS, Hoda and Wampa to 7*.

I have little sympathy for the first group, some sympathy for the second group. It does seem odd that the 3rd group, many of whom would splash the cash if the option were available, might be made to wait a number of months before they can obtain JKL (and anything he’s required for).

There may not be many of them that would spend the money, but I’m sure CG would be happy to take their money regardless.

I don't have sympathy for the first group. They chose to neglect Hoda/Wampa. Those toons were there long before Malak/GAS.

Personally I don't have DR or Malak because I focused on other things. But I do have other 3 at 7*. And that is fine. It is what I chose.

If you are f2p mostly it is a game of choice.
  • Jppc wrote: »
    If you are 12/330, you either started this week or you used your GET1 on others things. If it’s the first, sorry GL isn’t your priority right now. If it’s the second than the blame is on you for not buying hyoda blue prints.

I spent my GET1 on Malak and I started this year. Do you blame me? If you could choose to have Malak or Hoda, who would you have picked prior to knowing there was a new GL JMLS release? I think a majority of swgoh would've done the same. Don't be oblivious to that fact.
    Jppc wrote: »
    If you are 12/330, you either started this week or you used your GET1 on others things. If it’s the first, sorry GL isn’t your priority right now. If it’s the second than the blame is on you for not buying hyoda blue prints.

I spent my GET1 on Malak and I started this year. Do you blame me? If you could choose to have Malak or Hoda, who would you have picked prior to knowing there was a new GL JMLS release? I think a majority of swgoh would've done the same. Don't be oblivious to that fact.
    Again, if you started this year, you don't need to unlock every character out of the gate.

You still didn't answer how you are managing zetas with all those teams quickly acquired within a year.
  • @EventineElessedil
    It may not be possible to whale hard enough to accrue all the GET you need for JKL over the short term. I guess that means you did not whale hard enough in the past. Whale harder so you do not again find yourself in this unfortunate situation.

@bchased64 is a kraken. Their problem is not failing to whale hard enough.

This is simply a structural issue in the game. Some things (zetas, for instance) cannot be purchased. It is possible to whale/kraken to get a huge and wonderful roster - minus the zetas - and then use that to get into a guild that's getting 30-ish stars in DS and 15+ in LS. Doing that will definitely get you GET1 more quickly than if you didn't whale hard enough to get into a high-end guild, but it still takes time. There's only so fast you can accrue that income.

And, of course, since you can't buy zetas, even as a kraken your roster can only be so good. I have 100 or so zetas on my toons. If I was a kraken and got all these toons without the time required to get zetas, I might have the same roster with 20 zetas. Would that really be even close to as good? Of course not. Not every zeta is a difference maker, but surely more than 20% of them are.

Now there are reasons that many people perceive as positive for making some things unavailable to purchase. After all, if you purchase literally everything in the game, there's nothing to play for. Why log in and do your dailies when you can just buy the hyperspace bundle to get to level 85? Why participate in raids if you can buy every single piece of gear?

For many the answer is, "Well, I could, but the costs are prohibitive." For people like bchased64 costs aren't an issue.

I really don't understand the psychology of it. I don't understand what makes someone want to actually play the game when they're buying all the rewards. But there's no denying that such people exist, and there's no reason to think that bchased is lying about being one of those people.

So criticize their perspective for being unrepresentative of the massive majority of players or for any of a huge number of reasons. But whatever your criticisms of bchased64 might be, not whaling hard enough isn't one that's going to stick.

I get the scarcity cg puts on some things. +it's not directly perceivable making something unavaliable for insta buy is bad for their economy. Zeta farming was the sole driver of -gotta have a good fleet- for quite a while. Lastly lending some things veterancy advantage makes people stick around longer because of sunken cost fallacy.
    Funny how quickly people’s memory fades.. these packs were released with JKL. I don’t see any reason they couldn’t return or have a different format?

Oh yippee, a one-time purchase of 12 shards for Hoda giving me a whopping 12/330. That solves all problems.

The existence of such a pack showcases there is no missight on cg's behalf, it's intentional. You are not the one to decide when you'll be allowed to whale. Ahab is coming for you whenever he desires.
  • Lukes
    11 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    interesting reading ... :smiley:
    just a few things: the game has to make money to run .. free nothing works .. (all to whales etc)
    JKL - why could not be in the requirements for JMLS? if you want JMLS, you also want JKL .. problem with wampa and Hyoda? What have you spent GET tokens for the last 5 years? .. if you have everything right away, it's boring and the game has no challenges..
    and of course - i hope that JKL will be back soon :D
  • Again, if you started this year, you don't need to unlock every character out of the gate.

You still didn't answer how you are managing zetas with all those teams quickly acquired within a year.

Who are you to tell me what characters I can have and can't have? That's the most ludicrous post. And my zetas are progressing just fine. Zetas are a lot easier to obtain than fully acquired GET1 characters.

Again, if you started this year, you don't need to unlock every character out of the gate.

Who are you to tell me what characters I can have and can't have?
    Someone who has enough GET1.

Who are you to tell me what characters I can have and can't have? That's the most ludicrous post. And my zetas are progressing just fine. Zetas are a lot easier to obtain than fully acquired GET1 characters.

It's obviously not us but cg that's telling you. If you don't like it, buy stock shares of more than half of the company and you'll be the one deciding.
  • bchased64
    47 posts Member
    edited September 2020
    MaruMaru wrote: »
    Lastly lending some things veterancy advantage makes people stick around longer because of sunken cost fallacy.

The problem with "veterancy advantage" for CG is that not many veteran players are actually spending money. Don't get me wrong. Some do, but a lot of the money comes from new players or relatively new players who are trying to collect and farm a majority of their roster. A lot of the veteran players I know are F2P and if they're not F2P then they have most of what they need that they don't need to spend much or anything at all. They have an abundance of credits, purple ability mats, omega mats, zeta mats, gears and relic materials hoarded. So again, CG needs to be smart with this release. If they are releasing JMLS with "veterancy advantage" in mind like they did with JKL, then they are not going to maximize their returns.
  • Jppc wrote: »
    It’s not be oblivious, in one year you can get enough GET1 to 7 star malak and be ahead with another. So you either didn’t used it only on malak or you are in a bad guild. You just like to complain

I guess you do not know how guilds work. You are assuming a new player jumps right into a 250+ million GP guild out of the gate. Sorry, but that doesn't happen. You have to build your way there and that takes time. Everyone starts in a lower guild for a good amount of time before advancing.
    Lastly lending some things veterancy advantage makes people stick around longer because of sunken cost fallacy.

The problem with "veterancy advantage" for CG is that not many veteran players are actually spending money. Don't get me wrong. Some do, but a lot of the money comes from new players or relatively new players who are trying to collect and farm a majority of their roster.
    I'd like to see some proof of this. The biggest spenders are almost all in the top few guilds, with a few years mileage behind them.

The problem with "veterancy advantage" for CG is that not many veteran players are actually spending money. Don't get me wrong. Some do, but a lot of the money comes from new players or relatively new players who are trying to collect and farm a majority of their roster. A lot of the veteran players I know are F2P and if they're not F2P then they have most of what they need that they don't need to spend much or anything at all. They have an abundance of credits, purple ability mats, omega mats, zeta mats, gears and relic materials hoarded. So again, CG needs to be smart with this release. If they are releasing JMLS with "veterancy advantage" in mind like they did with JKL, then they are not going to maximize their returns.

Not %100 of their actions need to be to maximise profit. There's nothing all that smart about going for short term profits to lose community by spades. Let's not get into the trivial discussion how f2p gaming works. The long term financial success of this game is a testimony that it's not the best idea to allow whales burn through everything in a short interval, make non spenders punching bags for them only for the whales quit afterwards out of no challenge/pressure being left.
  • Agree with above comments that there are times when short term financial benefits come at a cost to the desire of players to participate in the game.

If it comes at a cost to fun or a cost to longevity, it will eventually have a downward effect on income. I personally don't have the data on where those flex points are and what design choices they affect, but tbh, I don't think anyone else does either.

Which is to say that I take it for granted that @bchased64 is being perfectly honest that putting JKL and (potentially) future meta toons behind a GET wall decreases the money that bchased64 is willing to put in the game right now. That's a known loss of thousands of dollars. But I don't think that anyone here has the data to say whether in the long run it pays off better for CG to keep whales around by giving them something to chase (toons behind a GET wall) than it does making it easier for whales to spend RIGHT NOW, but leaving them with no future goals.

Which one really results in more cetacean attrition? Which one most negatively (or positively) affects the bottom line? We don't really know, or at least no one here has offered data comparing long term outcomes for this or any similar game.

In the absence of those data, I default to supporting what makes the game more fun, because the more fun the game, the more players it attracts, and the more players it attracts, the more likely it is that income stays high for a long, long time.
This discussion has been closed.