Please make GAC auto assign use our saved squads if we don't set defenses

As the title says.
Alternatively, let us set up our GAC defenses before the event even begins, and then just have that as a default template for every GAC unless we manually set squads up.

It's very frustrating to miss the window of setting defenses for round 1 and being unable to attack because the game auto assigned all of your best characters on defense into random, illogical teams.

Btw I typically set defenses round 1 and then let it auto assign for the next rounds. Sometimes I get busy and forget to set defenses and it's extremely annoying to just auto-lose because of it. I get that you should be rewarded for being diligent and investing time, but this game sucks up enough time as it is.

Replies

• If you manage to miss the 24 hour window for setting defense, I think there is nothing wrong with handing the opponent an auto-win.
  • The feature is implemented to help your opponent - not yourself when you don't set defenses.
  • So you guys don't want to see a feature that would make the game easier and quicker for you to play because you'd rather get free wins off of people. Got it. Thanks for the helpful replies!
  • MrRip wrote: »
    So you guys don't want to see a feature that would make the game easier and quicker for you to play because you'd rather get free wins off of people. Got it. Thanks for the helpful replies!

Free wins? I actually play the game when I win a round. You know, setting defenses and such.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    MrRip wrote: »
    So you guys don't want to see a feature that would make the game easier and quicker for you to play because you'd rather get free wins off of people. Got it. Thanks for the helpful replies!

That's what's the repeat fill is, but they do require a small amount of effort on the front end.

The purpose of adding the auto fill for no defense was to aid those players facing someone who doesn't or forgets to set a defense.
  • I understand that was the original stated intent. I do not understand why people wouldn't want it to be improved further.
    If they have the code to let it randomly auto assign or auto assign based on a prior setup, it's not hard to extend that code to use presets, either from our saved squad list or from a GAC template.
    Is there a solid reason NOT to implement a feature like this?
  • MrRip wrote: »
    I understand that was the original stated intent. I do not understand why people wouldn't want it to be improved further.
    If they have the code to let it randomly auto assign or auto assign based on a prior setup, it's not hard to extend that code to use presets, either from our saved squad list or from a GAC template.
    Yes. Players have 24 hours to set their defences in the first round of a GAC. 24 hours. I don’t see why the Devs should put a concerted effort into changing something for the benefit of people who can’t put in the bare minimum effort over the span of 24 hours.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    MrRip wrote: »
    I understand that was the original stated intent. I do not understand why people wouldn't want it to be improved further.

Well what you want and what it is are 2 different things.

What you are suggesting is not an improvement to the current system, but a different feature all together. That is fine, but they are not the same thing.

If I had to guess, the main reason to not add this new feature you are suggesting, would be to "force" some minimal level of interaction into the game.

• Yes. Players have 24 hours to set their defences in the first round of a GAC. 24 hours. I don’t see why the Devs should put a concerted effort into changing something for the benefit of people who can’t put in the bare minimum effort over the span of 24 hours.

It's for the benefit of everyone, because then anyone could use a template to setup their GAC defenses once instead of redoing the exact same layout every GAC. Where I'm at right now there is no reason to make any changes to the format I've got, it's pretty much optimized for my collection and I won't need to change it until I build up an entirely new team.

Like you guys are making out like I just don't put that much time into the game and I'm lazy. I log in three times everyday and probably spend 1 to 2 hours on it. Every day, for three years I've been doing this. I play the game just as much as you guys, and more than probably a lot of more casual players. This isn't a laziness issue.

I just want to see the game be somewhat less monotonous so that I have more time to spend on tweaking mods, doing raids, doing galactic challenges, etc etc etc. There is a LOT to do in this game everyday and I really don't get why you're all so resistant to a feature that would save YOU time if you wanted to use it.
  • Rosters are locked for the duration of a championship. Makes sense to have them rollover during this unless you actively wish to change them*.

Between and during people level stuff up, unlock new toons, change mods etc. Makes a lot less sense to carry forward more than that.

Bear in mind different feats occur and then you have 5v5 and 3v3 so other reasons to change too. There is some logic to the way it currently works.

I set mine today. Took less than 5 mins. Certainly took a lot less time than TB let alone anything else (or to write this). It isn't much of a time sink.

*What I would like to see is the ability to change squads without doing the whole thing again though (I assume if I just put one team in that undermines the whole carry forward then rest are randoms but you can't see where each was anyway). Effectively pre-populate and let them be amended. Ideally amended at any time prior to attack phase (inability to edit is annoying) but between would be good enough.
  • You just go in for round 1 of 3 and set a defense. This will have round 2 and round 3 auto set those if you dont set anything else.

Having a setup of "GAC Defense" with the top 3 being top right, next 2 is bottom right, and last 2 are bottom left. Then have a ship setup. That takes like 3 minutes max... and will auto put them the next 2 rounds...
  • This will save you 3 minutes once a week
  • Alot of players use different defenses based on studying/second guessing their opponents roster and what they may set on defence. You kind of already have an option to pre-set ur defence sqds by using the function to create sqds in the character screen. Although this doesn't solve your particular issue, it does cut down on some time within the 24hr window.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    No reason for you to be rewarded and your opponent who set defense to be hurt by you not setting defense
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Anariodin wrote: »
    This will save you 3 minutes once a week

@MrRip

This. It's not about "would it be useful ?", where you have a point imo, it's about "does it worth developer's time ?", where Anariodin explained beautifully why some of us think it's a big fat no. Other QoL seemed more important right now; Copying the "high tier success = autowin in lower tiers" implemented in GC to Assault battles comes to mind, for instance.
  • TVF
    36586 posts Member
    Posted in September. Why respond now, it's already been covered.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    TVF wrote: »
    Posted in September. Why respond now, it's already been covered.

Because like a modern day Indiana Jones, I roam the forgotten places of forums to discover buried secrets.

That or I didn't read dates, but then it will be 1) my fault 2) boring. So the Indiana Jones stuff.
  • I log maybe 30 hours a week in the game. I just missed deployment for the first time ever because I had to do my JOB, and it just derailed a really great run I was having this GAC. No kyber for me.

I think fixing the way teams are auto assigned would be great. And I think the rest of you guys should stop bashing ideas for no reason.