State of raids good or bad for guilds

Magruffin
780 posts Member
edited October 2020
Like the title says; is the current state of raids healthy for guilds or not?
Increasingly only the same 3 or 4 members in our guild get the top rewards, by a large margin, and complete the raids extremely quick. This has started to lead to drop off in membership and even ppl just joining the raids.
Has anyone else experienced this in their guild, and if so what recommendations do you have to make it more uniting than divisive ?

Replies

• Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    We have a top 10 rule for HSTR. If you were in the top 10 in the last raid, stay out for the next one. Works pretty well.
    Sounds like a good reason to leave.
  • I'm part of a 285 million GP guild (as context) and most people in my guild join all three raids. The Rancor guild is simmed of course.

Most of the time, we have about 10 people that participate in the Tank raid with about 7-8 soloing it. A couple of people get a score so they can be above zero and the vast majority don't fight at all. The Tank raid is over in under 30 min. I suspect that most people can't be bothered with it. We all know how "amazing" the Tank rewards are so...

The Sith raid is a bit more engaging but it is still less than half the guild that participates. We have 1-2 people that solo it. About 10 to 15 that fight to get into the top 10 and another 8-10, just don't want to have a zero score. This raid too is over in less than 30 min. I also suspect that people can't be bothered to fight as "oh, well, if I can't be in the top 10, why bother?" and "Oh, it's over already?"

These numbers do increase/decrease a little bit whether the raids happens on a week day or during the weekend with the weekend being more popular but again, most people in my guild join the raids and don't fight at all.

I personally do not understand why some people consistently don't even bother joining the raids. Forgetting once in a while, sure, I understand but consistently not joining?

Free rewards just by clicking/tapping the join button and doing zero effort afterwards. Even if some of the rewards are garbage, the can still be used as relic salvage and the toon shards can always be converted to shard currency for actually good gear.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    It's only natural that participation drops after you get the raid on farm. I've seen it happen for all 3 raids in different guilds.

From a guild perspective the guild receives the same amount of rewards no matter how many members participate (as long as every member joins).

Having the same people receive top rewards can be a mixed "blessing" but it may be what keeps your top players in your guild. It can also give more guild members an incentive to improve their own performance to compete with them. But it could also discourage players, that are too far behind. If you consider making rules to distribute the rewards more evenly among your members, be aware of both sides.
  • If people are too lazy to join or do damage, rules won’t change that. It just penalizes the really active & motivated players to give a few marginally less active a chance so we don’t do it. It’s a game, they can gear up and hit it as hard as they like if they want. And too many rules are just as likely if not more so to force people out - nobody wants to be in a police state and our officers don’t want more things to track.

Ideally tank should be simmable though at this point especially given the terrible rewards. A new raid which the member base has been clamoring for (and possibly including ships) would be welcome to help provide less of a gear bottleneck & increase guild activity even if there are no character shards associated.
  • Speaking of rules, here is what our guild uses:

Joining a raid is optional but is greatly encouraged. If you join a raid, you are NOT required to participate. Just joining and doing nothing is allowed. Even if the rewards are sometimes lacklustre, receiving some rewards, guild store & shard store currency is always nice.

Personally, I feel that if you don't join a raid and collect your rewards, you are only hurting yourself and from a certain point of view, the guild you are in. Free rewards for a couple of clicks/taps is really not much effort at all.

That being said, as stated. "Joining a raid is optional but is greatly encouraged."
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    The problem with the raid rewards is that it actually benefits players more to run in lower guilds. I've done the math and posted here before but the difference between 5-10 stars in TB, and TW victories, vs the difference in top 10 HSTR rewards vs 11+ rewards, you get WAY more rewards in a month getting reliable top 10 victories. So once the guild has 10+ SLKR solo's and it becomes a requirement to have SLKR to get top 10, if a guild doesn't have some type of rotation rule to allow those who went for a different GL to also reach those top 10 rewards, they'll start bleeding the truly competitive players who chose to help the guild with LSTB instead. I know personally I'd leave my guild in a second if I knew I'd be locked out of top 10 rewards because I chose to get Rey to help the guild get better at LSTB.

I'm mostly F2P and so haven't had the opportunity to go for SLKR yet, and with new GLs and the insane resource drain that is a GL, I don't know when I'll be able to make a focused effort. If I also had to do so without being able to get top 10 rewards it would further slow my advancement towards the next GL and make it an untenable situation.

So unless CG fixes the reward structure of its raids, it will be much better for F2P players to filter down to guilds that are doing OK in TB, while being able to reliably get top 10 HSTR rewards, instead of a slight increase in TB performance while missing out on fully crafted G12+ gear pieces.

Hopefully CG learns the lesson of how badly the HSTR rewards have hampered guilds at the higher end and makes the next reward better structured. Ideally they'd also change HSTR rewards so that ALL ranks have a chance at fully crafted G12 and G12+ pieces with a tiered % based on rank. Top ranks might be 30% and bottom 10 might be 2%, but if everyone had a chance the top 10 rewards wouldn't be QUITE as critical. Plus with new mods, relic materials, Kyros, and still the shortage of carbanti and stun guns, opening the valve for G12 and G12+ gear slightly might actually give some relief to the playerbase, even if it's a low % chance.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    We have a top 10 rule for HSTR. If you were in the top 10 in the last raid, stay out for the next one. Works pretty well.

But that's the issue with top-heavy HSith rewards - they turn a cooperative guild event into a competive one, and not in a "good" way.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »

Sounds like a good reason for CG to do their jobs for once and balance the rewards better