Is being F2P worth it anymore?

I've wondered this for a long time. I have a P2P account, and now, a new F2P account that I am playing through on YouTube. I just wanted to get some thoughts on this because I don't meet many F2P players that much anymore 🤔

https://youtu.be/MBXNklXt-2M

Replies

• It’s definitely worth it if you can dress up an advert for your YouTube channel as a forum post.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    A YouTuber who claims to not meet many F2P players anymore? How can I trust his content?
  • It’s definitely worth it if you can dress up an advert for your YouTube channel as a forum post.

Lol touche 🤘
  • Waqui wrote: »
    A YouTuber who claims to not meet many F2P players anymore? How can I trust his content?

Just a conversation starter with a plug to a video in which I also hope to spark conversation.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    mrn61omid5d0.jpg

It's an interesting start to a conversation since so many claim to be or have turned to be F2P when you talk to many in the open lanes of communication.

Yes in guilds and alliances you may find a strong leaning one way or the other, but in general places, it's usually a mix.
  • crzydroid
    7233 posts Moderator
    Here I was prepared to have a lengthy discussion on the topic too...
  • I am 100% F2P with two accs. Just hit 3M with my main and about to unlock GAS. After that I will commit to GL Palp since I have already 4 toons meet the requirement. It is still doable imao. You just have to know from the start that making it to the endgame will take at least a couple of years.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Here I was prepared to have a lengthy discussion on the topic too...

Thats the point of this post my friend, sure there's a plug to my YouTube channel; however, I generally want to have these discussions so I can learn and find new way to inform players who are new to the game! Despite the opinion of others, I just want to create a community that loves to help each other grow and learn, and i didn't think there was a better place to start than here, with people that have the same ambition.
  • HTWarrior wrote: »
    I am 100% F2P with two accs. Just hit 3M with my main and about to unlock GAS. After that I will commit to GL Palp since I have already 4 toons meet the requirement. It is still doable imao. You just have to know from the start that making it to the endgame will take at least a couple of years.

Thats awesome thank you for sharing. I have a new guild i created with the singular purpose of having a place where new players can grow faster than the crappy starter guilds, but also learn from each other and share success stories!
  • Kyno wrote: »
    mrn61omid5d0.jpg

It's an interesting start to a conversation since so many claim to be or have turned to be F2P when you talk to many in the open lanes of communication.

Yes in guilds and alliances you may find a strong leaning one way or the other, but in general places, it's usually a mix.

Gotcha. I guess, with the guild I'm in on my main account, I've just gone numb to people who might be f2p because all of my guildmates are p2p. Thanks for sharing!
  • Late game there really isn't that much difference other than you don't get the nee shinnies right away. (Unless you hoard). But it is easy enough to keep up in arena with a counter team and to do ok in raids and other pve content.

On my main account, I have spent zero dollars and took an 8 month break about a year ago. With a counter team, I can still pull top 3 in both arenas, top 5 in hstr most raids and always top 10. And now that I'm in div I can get kyber in gac.

I don't really see where whaling would get me anything more other than a higher rank in kyber in gac maybe. But then you only get that if you spend a ton.

I also have a 100% ftp alt account. It's a bit more difficult early game. The hyperdrive bundle pretty much locks you out of the top of arena for six months or more until you can get to level 85 and gear a team that can compete.

But I think that advantage will eventually fade but it's a reality that you have to face if you start a new account ftp.

I think the bigger issue for early game players is just the sheer amount of time it takes to reach end game content. Unfortunately, the gear crunch is far worse early game than late game. Once you have the guild event store done for characters, you can farm stun guns there pretty quickly. But that does nothing to help early players since they still have 4 characters in there that take 6 months each to farm.
  • MaruMaru
    3338 posts Member
    The question should be posed "is starting as f2p right now...". Cause "is it worth it to keep playing as f2p..." is an entirely different question. 2nd one is much more complex as it's not a neutral position and depends on numerous factors.
  • MaruMaru wrote: »
    The question should be posed "is starting as f2p right now...". Cause "is it worth it to keep playing as f2p..." is an entirely different question. 2nd one is much more complex as it's not a neutral position and depends on numerous factors.

Interesting point. Thanks for sharing!
  • Late game there really isn't that much difference other than you don't get the nee shinnies right away. (Unless you hoard). But it is easy enough to keep up in arena with a counter team and to do ok in raids and other pve content.

On my main account, I have spent zero dollars and took an 8 month break about a year ago. With a counter team, I can still pull top 3 in both arenas, top 5 in hstr most raids and always top 10. And now that I'm in div I can get kyber in gac.

I don't really see where whaling would get me anything more other than a higher rank in kyber in gac maybe. But then you only get that if you spend a ton.

I also have a 100% ftp alt account. It's a bit more difficult early game. The hyperdrive bundle pretty much locks you out of the top of arena for six months or more until you can get to level 85 and gear a team that can compete.

But I think that advantage will eventually fade but it's a reality that you have to face if you start a new account ftp.

I think the bigger issue for early game players is just the sheer amount of time it takes to reach end game content. Unfortunately, the gear crunch is far worse early game than late game. Once you have the guild event store done for characters, you can farm stun guns there pretty quickly. But that does nothing to help early players since they still have 4 characters in there that take 6 months each to farm.

all solid points! Thank you for sharing 🤘 These are huge tips that I can use for future content, really appreciate it!
  • As a short answer to the 2nd question. I'm having a blast last 4-5 months, because I'm really reaping the rewards of being day 1, arena topper with a fully fleshed out roster (main focus being gac). I was on the line of quitting around when gls were announced. This wind in the sails might push me to play a year more, hopefully not more. My expectations about f2p gaming is very adjusted though. I know the cyclic nature of it without an end and the desire to have what others do in a social environment. A forever rabbit chase.

Having the experience of CGs previous game though, I can say f2p condition and competetiveness in this game is much better. Even if it detoriates when new things are introduced, it pulls back for the consistent player (not assuming arena farming). People consider this state bad because they don't have anything to compare it to and they have long term frustrations that rarely get addressed. Just play a few other gatchas and you'll be surprised by the enormity of spender vs. f2p divide.

So almost 5 years into it is way more than what I imagined. May an irl event arise, I'm fine putting it down any moment. I suggest to any other f2p to keep on playing -for the now- instead of some barrell dream based on potential, promises or expectation. If the negatives outweigh the positives for you right now, you might want to consider dropping it.
    As a short answer to the 2nd question. I'm having a blast last 4-5 months, because I'm really reaping the rewards of being day 1, arena topper with a fully fleshed out roster (main focus being gac). I was on the line of quitting around when gls were announced. This wind in the sails might push me to play a year more, hopefully not more. My expectations about f2p gaming is very adjusted though. I know the cyclic nature of it without an end and the desire to have what others do in a social environment. A forever rabbit chase.

Having the experience of CGs previous game though, I can say f2p condition and competetiveness in this game is much better. Even if it detoriates when new things are introduced, it pulls back for the consistent player (not assuming arena farming). People consider this state bad because they don't have anything to compare it to and they have long term frustrations that rarely get addressed. Just play a few other gatchas and you'll be surprised by the enormity of spender vs. f2p divide.

So almost 5 years into it is way more than what I imagined. May an irl event arise, I'm fine putting it down any moment. I suggest to any other f2p to keep on playing -for the now- instead of some barrell dream based on potential, promises or expectation. If the negatives outweigh the positives for you right now, you might want to consider dropping it.

This is exactly was I was talking about today on a video. New players need to drown out all the negative feedback about this game, and find the most enjoyable aspects of it and just focus on that! I've mostly always had fun with this game, until they released some major p2p events (basically all of them since revan) and now GLs. So i took a year break from it, but always enjoyed playing! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences 🙏
    As a short answer to the 2nd question. I'm having a blast last 4-5 months, because I'm really reaping the rewards of being day 1, arena topper with a fully fleshed out roster (main focus being gac). I was on the line of quitting around when gls were announced. This wind in the sails might push me to play a year more, hopefully not more. My expectations about f2p gaming is very adjusted though. I know the cyclic nature of it without an end and the desire to have what others do in a social environment. A forever rabbit chase.

This is exactly was I was talking about today on a video. New players need to drown out all the negative feedback about this game, and find the most enjoyable aspects of it and just focus on that! I've mostly always had fun with this game, until they released some major p2p events (basically all of them since revan) and now GLs. So i took a year break from it, but always enjoyed playing! Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences 🙏

As much as people complained about jedi revan breaking the game, he was actually a very early game friendly meta at the time. Yes, you had to farm all 5 characters but they were all on nodes that you could access pretty early.

And if you farmed him you probably did pretty well up through the malak meta.

Sadly right now, while he's still ftp early game friendly, I doubt you get the use out of him you did then. Right now the closest you can get is running vader but to get that team to work against recent metas you need wat and he isn't very early game friendly.

Papa palps appears to be an attempt at an early game friendly GL but they need to address the gear crunch early game if they think that getting that many relics early game is even remotely feasible without being a kracken

Here's the issues.

1. As a ftp early game player you are locked out of arenas for at least 6 to 8 months by the hyperdrive bundle. So you can't get more than a few hundred Crystal's a day. So buying gear with them is not realistic if you have any farming to do and early game you have to still farm everything.

2. Many sources of gear for late game are simply not available early game

The guild store you have to buy characters shards in for awhile.

The guild event store has 4 characters that take 6 mo each to farm.

The shard shop isn't useable until you get several 7 star characters.

Signal data is only available on cantina nodes so if you have cantina farms, you don't get signal data.

Most of these issues don't exist late game since you have farmed out the guild store (at least of all the useful characters), have finished most of the guild event characters, have a ton of 7 star characters (I get at least 1000 shard currency a day on my main account without really trying), and have the cantina table mostly farmed.

These weren't really issues when new meta were requiring g10 but when they now require 15 reliced characters from scratch, a new account should be able to reach that in less than a year if they focus.

Now for proposed solutions.

1. Add challenge tiers with some of the harder to get non g12 gear (mk 5 stun guns). This helps both late game and early game players but at this point you need to be able to get this gear and still farm characters from the stores and tables. You need enough of them that making them challenge gear is warranted.

2. Put out an event every so often that awards a 7 star hard node or cantina farm. This could really help early game players get a roster quicker. It doesn't have to be meta characters but even getting a character like Darth sion or baze without the 6 month farm would make a huge difference to early game players. And it'd be a great catchup mechanic. For late game players, the shard shop currency would be nice. I would go as far as to say that using this for the requirements of an early game legendary wouldn't be a bad way to go. Maybe for cls requirements or maybe Phoenix.

3. Make marque events replayable. A 3 star character may not seem like much but when you're starting from scratch, it's a lot of shards over time. This could almost exclusively help early game players as you could make it like the journey guide and only provide rewards if you didn't play it the first time. It would also shake up the early game arena. I think you have to be level 60 to do marques so you could unlock a marque guide at that level and then have access to all the previous marques.