GL Luke Ultimate when not in Leader Slot

Botanix
3 posts Member
edited October 13
I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but it occurs to me that when not in the leader slot that GL Luke will pretty much never get to use his Ultimate ability.

According to the text of the Ultimate abiltiy, Luke gets 8% Ultimate Charge whenever an ally gets Jedi Lessons.

As far as I can tell, Jedi Lessons is only applied in one of 2 ways.
1. Using Luke's Ability 2 (they grow Beyond) which grants a maximum of 1 application of Jedi lessons every 4 turns.
OR
2. Using the Inherited Teachings ability which the team only gets when Luke is in the leader slot.

This means that it would take approximately 50 turns for GLuke to get to his Ultimate if he isn't in the leader slot.

Is this WAI? Am I missing something?
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

  • Pretty sure thats intended. They did the same with SEEP, probably so that you dont use him with EP lead. Good way to reduce the risk of unintended theory crafting.
  • Botanix
    3 posts Member
    edited October 13
    I suppose so, however, it essentially means that you need to use them in the leader slot otherwise you sort of waste the ability. SLKR and Rey can both use their Ultimates when not in the leader slot. Is GL Luke's Ultimate good enough to warrant not being able to use it when he is not in the leader slot?
  • Kyno
    25804 posts Moderator
    Botanix wrote: »
    I suppose so, however, it essentially means that you need to use them in the leader slot otherwise you sort of waste the ability. SLKR and Rey can both use their Ultimates when not in the leader slot. Is GL Luke's Ultimate good enough to warrant not being able to use it when he is not in the leader slot?

    I think your asking the wrong question.

    is the damage being dealt by the granted ability something you can ignore or move away from?? its all based on him, that means that even a B or even C grade jedi team now becomes pretty powerful.

    we can't really compare this round of GLs with the previous round, the ultimates they have are different, and yes very powerful.

    to answer your question, yes. 100% yes. JML hitting his ultimate very fast under revan lead would not be pretty for game balance.
  • StarSon
    4494 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Botanix wrote: »
    I suppose so, however, it essentially means that you need to use them in the leader slot otherwise you sort of waste the ability. SLKR and Rey can both use their Ultimates when not in the leader slot. Is GL Luke's Ultimate good enough to warrant not being able to use it when he is not in the leader slot?

    I think your asking the wrong question.

    is the damage being dealt by the granted ability something you can ignore or move away from?? its all based on him, that means that even a B or even C grade jedi team now becomes pretty powerful.

    we can't really compare this round of GLs with the previous round, the ultimates they have are different, and yes very powerful.

    to answer your question, yes. 100% yes. JML hitting his ultimate very fast under revan lead would not be pretty for game balance.

    There's a whole lot of space between "very fast" and "50 turns." They have forced us to use him only as a leader once he has the ultimate, because it is not possible to get to ultimate any other way. Which also means teams like DR will always be a hard counter.
  • Kyno
    25804 posts Moderator
    StarSon wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Botanix wrote: »
    I suppose so, however, it essentially means that you need to use them in the leader slot otherwise you sort of waste the ability. SLKR and Rey can both use their Ultimates when not in the leader slot. Is GL Luke's Ultimate good enough to warrant not being able to use it when he is not in the leader slot?

    I think your asking the wrong question.

    is the damage being dealt by the granted ability something you can ignore or move away from?? its all based on him, that means that even a B or even C grade jedi team now becomes pretty powerful.

    we can't really compare this round of GLs with the previous round, the ultimates they have are different, and yes very powerful.

    to answer your question, yes. 100% yes. JML hitting his ultimate very fast under revan lead would not be pretty for game balance.

    There's a whole lot of space between "very fast" and "50 turns." They have forced us to use him only as a leader once he has the ultimate, because it is not possible to get to ultimate any other way. Which also means teams like DR will always be a hard counter.

    yes but between the kits we have and to future proof the jedi faction, it makes sense that they want to make him a little more "locked in" to his position.
  • Ultra
    6617 posts Member
    Hmmmm... I disagree with you Kyno,

    The whole point of Galactic Legends is how powerful and plug and play they are, to the point they work splendid under other teams and leads

    GL Luke under JKR should be a viable option. We already have a bunch of Jedi released after JKR and they have managed to do that fine. I would argue JKR has a Galactic Legend tier leadership ability, there are issues with JML that makes him bad under other Jedi leads, such as his pretaunt, or continuous taunt while there is protection. His kit outside without his ultimate feels very much like a legendary toon imo but Rey, SLKR, SEE feel like powerful threats in leader slot or ally slot

    I think its very weird that we have one Galactic Legend that cannot use his ultimate (and isn't very impressive without it compared to others in the same league) while the same limitations aren't in place for others. Time will tell, since we are still a week in since his kit has been out but I think Galactic Legends shouldn't be very limited even within the faction they are suppose to be the penultimate toon of
  • Kyno
    25804 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »
    Hmmmm... I disagree with you Kyno,

    The whole point of Galactic Legends is how powerful and plug and play they are, to the point they work splendid under other teams and leads

    GL Luke under JKR should be a viable option. We already have a bunch of Jedi released after JKR and they have managed to do that fine. I would argue JKR has a Galactic Legend tier leadership ability, there are issues with JML that makes him bad under other Jedi leads, such as his pretaunt, or continuous taunt while there is protection. His kit outside without his ultimate feels very much like a legendary toon imo but Rey, SLKR, SEE feel like powerful threats in leader slot or ally slot

    I think its very weird that we have one Galactic Legend that cannot use his ultimate (and isn't very impressive without it compared to others in the same league) while the same limitations aren't in place for others. Time will tell, since we are still a week in since his kit has been out but I think Galactic Legends shouldn't be very limited even within the faction they are suppose to be the penultimate toon of

    Plug and play into teams doesnt require them to be useful in any position of the team.

    Kylo is not going into a team as the tank, neither is SEE. Thier kits specifically limit that.

    JMLs kit pushes him to be better in the leader spot, but he can still serve the function of a tank when not, at the sacrifice of his ultimate, to a slow pace.

    It's all about choices.

    Kylo can be used in other teams but you start to lose functionality of his ultimate when hes not in the lead of a FO squad.

    Rey fair's the best of all of them as a LS toon in "any LS team".

    SEE falls victim to a similar situation, he is going to be slower to get his ultimate when not in the leader spot, but yes still faster than JML.

    It all seems balanced in the grand scheme. I dont expect each GL to be a carbon copy of each other. In fact I expected them to have more niche characteristics than they do.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Botanix wrote: »
    I suppose so, however, it essentially means that you need to use them in the leader slot otherwise you sort of waste the ability. SLKR and Rey can both use their Ultimates when not in the leader slot. Is GL Luke's Ultimate good enough to warrant not being able to use it when he is not in the leader slot?

    I think your asking the wrong question.

    is the damage being dealt by the granted ability something you can ignore or move away from?? its all based on him, that means that even a B or even C grade jedi team now becomes pretty powerful.

    we can't really compare this round of GLs with the previous round, the ultimates they have are different, and yes very powerful.

    to answer your question, yes. 100% yes. JML hitting his ultimate very fast under revan lead would not be pretty for game balance.

    It is always Revan, that goddamn punk.

    His kit is half the reason why the devs have to be suspiciously specific about jedi synergies.
  • Kyno
    25804 posts Moderator
    MemeMaster wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Botanix wrote: »
    I suppose so, however, it essentially means that you need to use them in the leader slot otherwise you sort of waste the ability. SLKR and Rey can both use their Ultimates when not in the leader slot. Is GL Luke's Ultimate good enough to warrant not being able to use it when he is not in the leader slot?

    I think your asking the wrong question.

    is the damage being dealt by the granted ability something you can ignore or move away from?? its all based on him, that means that even a B or even C grade jedi team now becomes pretty powerful.

    we can't really compare this round of GLs with the previous round, the ultimates they have are different, and yes very powerful.

    to answer your question, yes. 100% yes. JML hitting his ultimate very fast under revan lead would not be pretty for game balance.

    It is always Revan, that goddamn punk.

    His kit is half the reason why the devs have to be suspiciously specific about jedi synergies.

    Probably.
  • Nope....it is always emperor palpatine, that the devs should look into, which I suppose they didn't :), which we will see in a sec on some other threads.
  • Straegen
    101 posts Member
    edited October 15
    JML is not a natural tank without being in the lead. You have to use Wat on a team just to get him to taunt consistently when he isn't in the leadership role since his taunt ability and damage mitigation is on his leadership. Despite having one of the hardest hitting specials in the game, his damage output is actually marginal and he never gets to his ultimate without being in the lead.

    Besides, having the GL taunt basically makes every Thrawn counter stupid easy to pull off. JML simply wasn't thought through as well as he should have been. Complicated kit, ultimate that is useless outside of the leadership and absurdly easy to counter by numerous F2P teams.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Hmmmm... I disagree with you Kyno,

    The whole point of Galactic Legends is how powerful and plug and play they are, to the point they work splendid under other teams and leads

    GL Luke under JKR should be a viable option. We already have a bunch of Jedi released after JKR and they have managed to do that fine. I would argue JKR has a Galactic Legend tier leadership ability, there are issues with JML that makes him bad under other Jedi leads, such as his pretaunt, or continuous taunt while there is protection. His kit outside without his ultimate feels very much like a legendary toon imo but Rey, SLKR, SEE feel like powerful threats in leader slot or ally slot

    I think its very weird that we have one Galactic Legend that cannot use his ultimate (and isn't very impressive without it compared to others in the same league) while the same limitations aren't in place for others. Time will tell, since we are still a week in since his kit has been out but I think Galactic Legends shouldn't be very limited even within the faction they are suppose to be the penultimate toon of

    JMLs kit pushes him to be better in the leader spot, but he can still serve the function of a tank when not, at the sacrifice of his ultimate, to a slow pace.

    I kind of have to agree with Ultra here. I'd agree with you if JML was better in the leader spot, but arena shards top 50 and swgohgg show that he clearly isn't better in the leader spot. He's better with both JKL lead and JKR lead and some cases even **** lead.

Sign In or Register to comment.