"Well, somebody has to save our skins" - Princess Leia

Replies

• MKIceman
    88 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Congratulations @thegeneral and thank you for this wonderful post @CG_Doja_Fett !

I agree with the others, this is important community news and important to the game and to Star Wars. Why? Leia was one of the first and very few famous screen symbols of female empowerment through intelligence, leadership, and independence, no superpowers, she wasn't your typical damsel in distress, she was still wise enough to know when to ask for help without sacrificing her power, and she did this all while still maintaining both femininity and dignity. Her character was and still is an inspiration to millions, if not billions, of people worldwide.

I would love to see something published in the dev news or in game for everyone to see, something special and unique for this player, and maybe some new achievement that everyone else can unlock by doing something similar.

A little story of my own. When the hyperdrive bundle was released, I bought one for me and two for my wife to get her to play the game with me. She plays a few mobile games and loves alts, but her time is limited so she is picky about what she plays. I made an alt and we started playing together. She was very interested for a few weeks and then gave up, went back to other games like Animal Crossing, Elvenar, etc. It wasn't the gameplay or loot box mechanics that turned her off as much as it was the lack of available female content. A starting new player (at least in January 2020) only has male portraits, or helmet portraits, no female portraits. It takes extra effort to unlock female portraits than it does male or neutral portraits. Furthermore, there are far fewer female characters in game and they, too, require extra effort to unlock vs all the other characters. And when she asked a fellow player about why this was, the response she got was sexist and offensive (something like, "well men are more important in history than women"). So it's no wonder she and I imagine other women wouldn't want to play this game.

I'm very happy that something like this is being showcased, and I hope we see more equity like what I mentioned above. This speaks many more volumes to me about CG and EA and Disney than anything else.
  • MKIceman wrote: »
    Congratulations @thegeneral and thank you for this wonderful post @CG_Doja_Fett !

I agree with the others, this is important community news and important to the game and to Star Wars. Why? Leia was one of the first and very few famous screen symbols of female empowerment through intelligence, leadership, and independence, no superpowers, she wasn't your typical damsel in distress, she was still wise enough to know when to ask for help without sacrificing her power, and she did this all while still maintaining both femininity and dignity. Her character was and still is an inspiration to millions, if not billions, of people worldwide.

I would love to see something published in the dev news or in game for everyone to see, something special and unique for this player, and maybe some new achievement that everyone else can unlock by doing something similar.

A little story of my own. When the hyperdrive bundle was released, I bought one for me and two for my wife to get her to play the game with me. She plays a few mobile games and loves alts, but her time is limited so she is picky about what she plays. I made an alt and we started playing together. She was very interested for a few weeks and then gave up, went back to other games like Animal Crossing, Elvenar, etc. It wasn't the gameplay or loot box mechanics that turned her off as much as it was the lack of available female content. A starting new player (at least in January 2020) only has male portraits, or helmet portraits, no female portraits. It takes extra effort to unlock female portraits than it does male or neutral portraits. Furthermore, there are far fewer female characters in game and they, too, require extra effort to unlock vs all the other characters. And when she asked a fellow player about why this was, the response she got was sexist and offensive (something like, "well men are more important in history than women"). So it's no wonder she and I imagine other women wouldn't want to play this game.

I'm very happy that something like this is being showcased, and I hope we see more equity like what I mentioned above. This speaks many more volumes to me about CG and EA and Disney than anything else.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you got yourself one heck of a spouse!
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    MKIceman wrote: »

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you got yourself one heck of a spouse!

And who doesnt love animal crossing. My wife is playing that right now
  • xc7vuaziql9s.jpeg

LOL

• Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Do we have an update on this yet, Doja?
  • Ultra wrote: »

I've sent it up the flag pole. Will definitely provide an update once I hear back.

Thanks for asking.
  • It has come to my attention that a SWGoH player, "thegeneral", has spent the past few years chasing an inspiring in-game goal; to gold-wreath and Zeta every female character in the game. This past week she achieved her goal!

This is the type of thing I love to hear, and I know General Leia Organa would be proud.

It’s such a great reminder that while we all play the game for different reasons - be it personal glory, to deeper connect with the Star Wars universe, to be there for our guild mates, to be the best of the best, or to build something meaningful to our values - we are part of a wonderful community of players brought together by a shared love of the game. I’m honored to be part of such an amazing assembly of passionate players.

Keep crushing it, SWGoH fam. Y’all are simply the best!

I assume this includes Mob Enforcer??!? Who based solely on her death scream you can tell she is a female character LOL
  • Do we have an update on this yet, Doja?

I've sent it up the flag pole. Will definitely provide an update once I hear back.

Thanks for asking.

@CG_Doja_Fett It's been a few weeks and I don't want this to fall off the radar. Is anything being done more broadly to celebrate this achievement and expose it to the broader player community beyond the forum?
  • Seconding.

Also, I'm not sure how, but I missed this thread the first time around in October. This is just the kind of thing I love. I wonder what was going on that I wasn't checking the forums when this went up...

Thanks for asking.

@CG_Doja_Fett It's been a few weeks and I don't want this to fall off the radar. Is anything being done more broadly to celebrate this achievement and expose it to the broader player community beyond the forum?

My guess is that an achievement would be added during the next big update, which seems to be coming in a couple weeks based on the Road Ahead. But that's just a guess and I'm only saying it so that this post will be topped ;)
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    @CG_Doja_Fett any updates to share?
  • Ultra wrote: »

I had to write up a proposal for an action I would like to see as a reward for the player. That proposal had to make the rounds, including some info I needed to have our analytics department pull, and it should be sent off for third party review very soon.

It's crazy how long some of these things can take, but I'm learning the process and we're making progress.

Thank you for checking in!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »

I had to write up a proposal for an action I would like to see as a reward for the player. That proposal had to make the rounds, including some info I needed to have our analytics department pull, and it should be sent off for third party review very soon.

It's crazy how long some of these things can take, but I'm learning the process and we're making progress.

Thanks for informing how long the process is

yeesh

and if they reject it its back to the start of the line
  • Thanks for the update. Can you sticky this thread again? Or put this in the Dev Tracker? This is the type of thing I'd much rather see tracked than for example "Wrong character description for g12 finisher pieces"

a05gz07ksmm5.jpg

• I had to write up a proposal for an action I would like to see as a reward for the player. That proposal had to make the rounds, including some info I needed to have our analytics department pull, and it should be sent off for third party review very soon.

It's been another week. Can you please let us know where this stands, or an ETA for us to check in again so we're not unduly harassing you? I had hoped we might get something with the anniversary update, but that didn't happen.

Thank you
  • We're talking a title. Lol no wonder they need us to spend $1b to keep this game going if it takes this long of a process for it. Shouldve been a 2 minute discussion. "Hey boss this very unique thing happened. Can we give her a title?" "Thats pretty dope. Go for it. Give her a custom photo too" the end. Thank you for coming to my ted talk
  • I hit a billion credits which took a few years to achieve.Do I get a custom tag.

4h19oz4xx612.jpg
  • I hit a billion credits which took a few years to achieve.Do I get a custom tag.

4h19oz4xx612.jpg

Give him the Donald tag
  • Give him the Donald tag

(!) This wealth claim is disputed.
  • @CG_Doja_Fett it has now been 2 weeks since you last updated us on this thread. Can you please give us any news on where this stands? Thanks very much
    @CG_Doja_Fett it has now been 2 weeks since you last updated us on this thread. Can you please give us any news on where this stands? Thanks very much

I'm still waiting to hear back. But, the sentiment to make something happen is there. Hopefully soon I'll have a more substantial update. I wish things moved along a little faster, but I'm doing what I can.
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    the slow approval process has been a problem regarding all sorts of updates for years, i wish a quicker turnaround process was implemented by now
  • Thanks Doja Fett. Even if it means nothing has changed, a quick update once a week would be most appreciated. This helps us hold you accountable so you can hold them accountable, in the absence of some other better way to track things like this.
    Thanks Doja Fett. Even if it means nothing has changed, a quick update once a week would be most appreciated. This helps us hold you accountable so you can hold them accountable, in the absence of some other better way to track things like this.

100%

I think I'll something more substantial next week or so.
  • Hi Doja Fett, it's your weekly reminder for an update on where this stands. Thank you in advance
    Hi Doja Fett, it's your weekly reminder for an update on where this stands. Thank you in advance

Very soon! Hopefully soon enough that we won't need another weekly reminder.
  • Hey Doja Fett, another weekly reminder to update us on where this stands. Thanks in advance
  • Everything is approved and in an update after the new year, we will be granting the player something special. I'll elaborate more when it happens!
  • Ultra
    11449 posts Moderator
    Everything is approved and in an update after the new year, we will be granting the player something special. I'll elaborate more when it happens!

You said you will tell us in advance not when it happens!