I hate grand arena mods

2Next

Replies

• To the Moderator's point that matchmaking begins when we join, and please excuse me being a little bit of a wise arss but is the game run off an ENIAC or Zuse Z1? How can we get matchmaking correct in TW where we can exit and rejoin allowing us to fix an oversight in mods or gear yet that is too much for servers to handle in GAC Matchmaking? I think most players wouldn't mind waiting another 15 seconds or 15 minutes for calculations and matchmaking to occur if it meant they were able to correct a severe modding or other oversight.

If it's too complex and EA/GC can't sell another pack or us use fraction of the billion+ revenue made to afford an upgrade in computing capacity then at least change "player lock" wording to "GAC Begins in" countdown. Also maybe spell out the once you join there is no changing ANYTHING in GAC for the week.
  • Bear in mind TW matches one guild against another guild. GAC is matching 8 individual players against one another.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix it - but it is quite obviously a more difficult proposition matching individuals than matching guilds.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Caballero wrote: »
    To the Moderator's point that matchmaking begins when we join, and please excuse me being a little bit of a wise arss but is the game run off an ENIAC or Zuse Z1? How can we get matchmaking correct in TW where we can exit and rejoin allowing us to fix an oversight in mods or gear yet that is too much for servers to handle in GAC Matchmaking? I think most players wouldn't mind waiting another 15 seconds or 15 minutes for calculations and matchmaking to occur if it meant they were able to correct a severe modding or other oversight.

If it's too complex and EA/GC can't sell another pack or us use fraction of the billion+ revenue made to afford an upgrade in computing capacity then at least change "player lock" wording to "GAC Begins in" countdown. Also maybe spell out the once you join there is no changing ANYTHING in GAC for the week.

TW has to match roughly 50x less matches, and needs to be done after everyone joins to even know the numbers its using.

A player when they join has the numbers all set and it can start right away. To have players leave a matched set could cause issues that cannot be corrected within the deviation allowed. Meaning if you have a high GP player leave, and there are not spots for them to rejoin in the high GP area, then they would essentially need to redo the entire process to shift things to make room for one player.... now compound that by 100s or 1000s.....

It's not likely about processing power, its more about an algorithm that can handle these kinds of variables, when there is a simpler solution.

I know this is going to sound silly, but some things are just in the players court, and its their responsibility to be on the ball.

Yes the wording should be changed to match the new system. They spoken about a confirmation button, but have not implemented it yet.
  • I'm right near the 5 mil point and have yet to see a GL in gac.

I'm surprised.
    This was my GAC back on September 4th, 7 weeks ago.
    unknown.png

Not sure if I was Division 3 or 4 then but right around 3 million GP.
    I loved facing that when my D.Revan team isn't even fully fleshed out yet.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    To the Moderator's point that matchmaking begins when we join, and please excuse me being a little bit of a wise arss but is the game run off an ENIAC or Zuse Z1? How can we get matchmaking correct in TW where we can exit and rejoin allowing us to fix an oversight in mods or gear yet that is too much for servers to handle in GAC Matchmaking? I think most players wouldn't mind waiting another 15 seconds or 15 minutes for calculations and matchmaking to occur if it meant they were able to correct a severe modding or other oversight.

TW has to match roughly 50x less matches, and needs to be done after everyone joins to even know the numbers its using.

A player when they join has the numbers all set and it can start right away. To have players leave a matched set could cause issues that cannot be corrected within the deviation allowed. Meaning if you have a high GP player leave, and there are not spots for them to rejoin in the high GP area, then they would essentially need to redo the entire process to shift things to make room for one player.... now compound that by 100s or 1000s.....

It's not likely about processing power, its more about an algorithm that can handle these kinds of variables, when there is a simpler solution.

I know this is going to sound silly, but some things are just in the players court, and its their responsibility to be on the ball.

Yes the wording should be changed to match the new system. They spoken about a confirmation button, but have not implemented it yet.

I'm not against a fix that makes the system wait until say an hour or so before the GAC and let's you leave and join again.

I don't think it's a big issue but if they did a 23 hr join period and then an hour where you can't join and matchmaking is calculated, and then the gac starts.

I don't think it would break anything and may actually reduce mismatches a bit.

Assuming it matches you as soon as you join, then a high or low gp person joining at the last minute would likely either have to be matched with other last minute people or it would have to continously adjust to get closer matches. It seems to me that to get the best matchmaking, you would want all the inputs in before starting the algorithm.

But like I said not a high priority for me. I understand if I join that's when my roster is locked.

But the player lock issue is different than being able to change mods when setting defense. The latter is just a horrible idea as I stated earlier.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

I'm not against a fix that makes the system wait until say an hour or so before the GAC and let's you leave and join again.

I don't think it's a big issue but if they did a 23 hr join period and then an hour where you can't join and matchmaking is calculated, and then the gac starts.

Assuming it matches you as soon as you join, then a high or low gp person joining at the last minute would likely either have to be matched with other last minute people or it would have to continously adjust to get closer matches. It seems to me that to get the best matchmaking, you would want all the inputs in before starting the algorithm.

But like I said not a high priority for me. I understand if I join that's when my roster is locked.

But the player lock issue is different than being able to change mods when setting defense. The latter is just a horrible idea as I stated earlier.

I agree, but that's an overhaul to the entire system. I know, I know, "it's easy, it's all there just move the time".... it's never as simple as it sounds.

I would be ok with that too, by the way.
  • I'm right near the 5 mil point and have yet to see a GL in gac.

I'm surprised.
    This was my GAC back on September 4th, 7 weeks ago.
    unknown.png

Not sure if I was Division 3 or 4 then but right around 3 million GP.
    I loved facing that when my D.Revan team isn't even fully fleshed out yet.

I'm not saying it is impossible but likely rare. Obviously, once you have at least 15 or 16 relics or so (13 to 15 or so for GL requirements and 1 to one ad and a half for the gp of the actual GL) you may start seeing a GL in gac.

But for that, your opponent would likely have little else because they are a newer player and bought a GL or you have 3 mil gp but it's very top heavy. It's possible.

I have about 25 reliced characters now so seeing a GL is definitely possible. But it hasn't happened yet. Though to be honest, I don't usually look at the rosters of all 8 but only the ones I face. So I may have been matched against one but ended up not facing them.

I would actually welcome facing a GL (especially Rey) in gac. I climb to 1st through Rey and some Kylo teams daily in arena so countering them isn't all that difficult. And for them to have a GL with a low level of total relics means they likely have a newer account and bought it. So they likely skipped teams that are good and likely have far inferior mods due to less time in the game. So I have to counter a GL but the rest of the match is a cakewalk.

I would imagine that at 3 mil gp anyone that has a GL probably has a lot of trash as what's left in their roster.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

I agree, but that's an overhaul to the entire system. I know, I know, "it's easy, it's all there just move the time".... it's never as simple as it sounds.

I would be ok with that too, by the way.

I'm not even going to pretend to know what it would entail to change that.

But in general I think requests for changes fall into 3 categories

1. Definitely needed worth a lot of time if needed
    2. Nice to have but time is better spent on other issues
    3. Would make the game worse and shouldn't be done.

Obviously the categories are completely subjective but I would put changing the algorithm to let you leave up to an hour and a change for only seeing the locked roster when you view your opponent in gac in category 2.

I would put allowing mods to be changed while setting defense in gac in category 3.

For category 1, I would put in things like

1. Being able to save ship squad
    2. Alleviating the gear crunch (especially for newer players)
    3. Some kind of catch up mechanic for shard farming for newer players (the end game content shouldn't be immediately accessible but it also shouldn't be measured in multiple years). I think making older characters (not meta anymore but good) take less time to farm would help
  • Caballero wrote: »

They only have one laptop, you know..