Event tickets are awful

Prev13456
icanectc
821 posts Member
edited October 2020
Event tickets for galactic legends is awful mechanic. At least make it do tickets are consumed until you win. Blowing tickets on experiencing the event for the first time removes fun from the mechanics.

Replies

• StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    icanectc wrote: »
    Event tickets for galactic legends is awful mechanic. At least make it do tickets are consumed until you win. Blowing tickets on experiencing the event for the first time removes fun from the mechanics.

Yep. Removes all incentive from trying to actually understanding what is going on in any given tier. You just wait for someone to make a guide and you do it step by step so you don't screw up and lose tickets.
  • Yep, level up all the characters just to unlock the event and then you have to get all those tickets for weeks just to play the event.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • These events aren’t nearly as tough as rey/kylos. All you have to do to beat Luke’s ultimate tier is use his leadership assist ability 5 or 6 times. It’s possible to lose JML tier 3 if you get ability blocked chained but that’s only happens if you do it without tenacity
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    Agreed. Whoever thought event tickets after farming and gearing up multiple characters to multiple relic levels was a good idea simply does not play the game. And then you run the risk of "wasting" them on the event due to bad RNG - is horrible from a player experience point of view. On top of all of that, players are basically wasting time to unlock a GL that is easily beaten by the one(s) they and others already have on their rosters.

CG really needs to seriously rethink "GL event tickets". The relic levels and massive requirements already pace the GL releases enough.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Yeah, I don't understand this one either. The events are already relic gated, unlike the legendary/ec where you can play the rng game to win.
    While the ticket farming has gotten better still sucks you can't try to figure it out on your own without the risk of ticket loss, and/or the rng crash **** that happens.
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Yeah the Galactic Legends prerequisites are monetized heavily, and if they do need to monetize playing the event using tickets, at least don't consume tickets until the tier has been cleared

Generating tickets is arduous and it takes weeks to complete a Galactic Legend even if you go undefeated
  • I remember being excited when the tix system was announced because in my stupid mind I thought after the unit was unlocked it would act as some kind of mini, personal raid. Lol me
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Yeah the Galactic Legends prerequisites are monetized heavily, and if they do need to monetize playing the event using tickets, at least don't consume tickets until the tier has been cleared

Generating tickets is arduous and it takes weeks to complete a Galactic Legend even if you go undefeated

I think 2 weeks with x3 200 refreshes (that includes one loss on t3)
  • Unless you live in USA and can spend all your play points on those nifty packs nobody else can get. Lame.
  • Totally agree. At least make it so you don’t waste tickets when you lose, as suggested above. The wasted tickets is by far the worst game experience/mechanic they have implemented imo.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    Losing is bad enough, but I had a battle (tier 3 60 tickets) freeze on entry and lost an entire day.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I'm about to finally experience this as soon as Finalizer event comes back. Yay
  • The solution, which is too expensive, would be to make more tiers but have the costs be one time.
    You spend your 15 ln tier 1, and that unlocks it permanently. Even if you lose, you can play it until rewards are unlocked.
    Make 10 or so tiers for the event and have the final tier cost 140 tickets.

Clearly a cash grab though. Replay the same tiers 8x, 4x, 3x, and the last one 10x where the final three tiers are the exact same...
  • StarSon
    7411 posts Member
    The solution, which is too expensive, would be to make more tiers but have the costs be one time.
    You spend your 15 ln tier 1, and that unlocks it permanently. Even if you lose, you can play it until rewards are unlocked.

That sounds over-complicated. Just make it so you unlock a victory with the tickets, and you can keep trying until you beat it without having to spend more tickets.
  • Losing a 15 token battle wasn't too bad but losing a 30 token battle would be painful and losing a 60 token one would suck big time.

Could remove the ramping token cost and just make them all 15 tokens a shot. Still preserves the mechanic but makes it much less punitive.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Losing a 15 token battle wasn't too bad but losing a 30 token battle would be painful and losing a 60 token one would suck big time.

Could remove the ramping token cost and just make them all 15 tokens a shot. Still preserves the mechanic but makes it much less punitive.

Haha. SLKR will make you lose several 60 token battles
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Losing a 15 token battle wasn't too bad but losing a 30 token battle would be painful and losing a 60 token one would suck big time.

Haha. SLKR will make you lose several 60 token battles
    And that is a problem. Even with 6 energy refreshes a day, that is basically a day's farming down the drain. Not fun.
  • I lost a 70 ticket tier 6 SLKR battle based on stupid RNG and wanted to smash my phone.
  • At the very least, once tickets are spent, you should be able to play that tier until you succeed. It's one thing to gate progress based on time/refreshes. It's another (and far worse) to gate behind rng, or technical issues.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • It really does feel like everything here is falling on deaf ears.
    "They" don't care because changing it is unprofitable and takes time that could be used to think up new packs.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Pretty sure tickets came about because everyone hated 5* unlocks with GET to buy shards for 7* (and rightfully so). So CG decided to come up with a different way to unlock a powerful character. Seems pretty unnecessary after such hefty prerequisites though. One attempt per tier per day, with the option to crystal refresh, would have been far superior to what we've got.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • StarSon wrote: »
    The solution, which is too expensive, would be to make more tiers but have the costs be one time.

That sounds over-complicated. Just make it so you unlock a victory with the tickets, and you can keep trying until you beat it without having to spend more tickets.

That's literally what I said.
    One time buy-in, but more tiers
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    At the very least, once tickets are spent, you should be able to play that tier until you succeed. It's one thing to gate progress based on time/refreshes. It's another (and far worse) to gate behind rng, or technical issues.

Watching the early hoarders take a shot at T1 of SEE event was painful
  • raybron99
    129 posts Member
    edited October 2020
    So look, they want to extend the content of the unlock process through event tickets. The issue is the feeling a player gets when they lose, thus consuming these painful tickets. I think a reasonable middle ground for both parties is to keep the stupid tickets, but if a player loses they have the option to

A. Wait until tomorrow to try again and don't lose the tickets
    B. You may attempt again immediately but you lose the tickets.

This way they don't lose whale money, and players don't have to feel bad for getting ability blocked.
  • I hate this scenario as well.

Much of the fun of theses games is experimenting & figuring things out. With the event tickets after so much has been invested, you don't have the freedom ta actually work on the puzzle & figure out your own solution.

You're not literally forced to use someone else's cookie-cutter guide, but all the incentives are to do exactly that. And the worst part is that as we scream for more content, just making the tickets unlock a single success rather than a single attempt **is** providing more content, because we get to play the event multiple times with different squads to see what the enemy is trying to do & figure out a way to counter it.

It would be a lovely event if we could actually spend time puzzling it & playing it, but the costs of doing so are far too high.

Ultimately I followed guides for Rey's t4-t6 (I did experiment on t1 since it was cheap & used that as a starting point for t2 & t3, which ended up working out fine) and even so I lost a total of 6 ultimate fights. Everyone else was saying it was easy, but I followed the mod strategy & the attack strategy & still lost. Obviously my experience is too limited to say that this was RNG or to know for sure if I was making some mistake in interpreting the guides or what, but it was so frustrating, so enraging, that I stopped farming tickets altogether.

Yes, I eventually finished my 10 x t6 victories, but not because I was trying to farm tickets. I stopped caring about the event altogether because it was too frustrating. I just farmed the toons I wanted to farm (BEFORE they changed the ticket drops to be based on energy) and tickets trickled in. If I won, I won, but I felt no joy, barely any relief. It was such a grind that getting an Ultimate Mat felt no better or worse to me than doing 5 sims on a hard-node character & getting a single shard to drop. It was like, "Okay, that's one part of a long farm, but no reason to get excited".

By not getting excited over victories, ultimately by not caring at all, I stopped being so disappointed in losses. But that didn't end my hatred for the format.

I have had my 10 ultimate mats for a long time now, but I haven't dropped them on Rey. I'm about 4 weeks out on the SLKR requirements, and I'm going to use those mats on SLKR instead. I'll still fight SLKR's t6, but this time I'll have the ultimate before I start, which will, presumably, make that tier much easier.

That's how much I hate this. I'm going 3 months without gearing an ultimate ability just so I never have to go through that frustration again.

As I've told many others: this is a game, and as such is supposed to be fun. If the most efficient path to power isn't fun, then take a different path.

I'm taking a different path, because your ticket system is the worst, CG.

I know you won't get rid of it, and moving the ticket drops to per-energy% was already a positive move, but it's still terrible. A move to tickets unlocking 1x rewards instead of 1x attempt would dramatically change it for the better.

Me, I'll probably still hate it based on past experience, but you could spare others my experience. You could make it a fun challenge rather than a mind numbing chore that people can't afford to do wrong, and thus can't afford not to repeat cookie-cutter battles handed down with step-by-step instructions.

Ending the ticket system, or at least causing tickets to unlock 1 victory rather than 1 attempt, doesn't just end frustration.

It literally adds playable content, since we're not playing this now, we're robots slavishly following someone else's recipe.

And it adds fun. Remember fun?

Using GLs is fun & necessary, but there's nothing about getting them that's fun. Why not change that?
  • If tickets are only consumed if you win it allows them to make the events rng dependent, which I hate.

How about instead they allow you to practice the event so you can figure out a strategy, then go in and put your tickets on the line.

Also, increase the ticket cost and rewards so we don't have to run it so many times.
  • CG doesn’t care about any of this
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    CG doesn’t care about any of this

They do. Which is why the tickets system were dramatically improved this time around (via drop rates)
  • If tickets are only consumed if you win it allows them to make the events rng dependent, which I hate.

How about instead they allow you to practice the event so you can figure out a strategy, then go in and put your tickets on the line.

Also, increase the ticket cost and rewards so we don't have to run it so many times.

Several guild mates have stated that tier 3 of the JML event is already RNG dependent.