Far be it from me to help my opponents but ...

Far be it from me to help my opponents but what is the point of leaving almost half your Defensive positions empty?

We filled all our Defensive positions; we always do even if we chuck unmodded Jawas in at the end. And today, once the Attack phase started, we had 4,004 points to our opponents' 2797.
Why would they do that? I don't get it.
I've looked the opposing Guild up on swgoh.gg and not only do they have more members than us (they actually have 50 members right now to our 46) but they have over 20% more GP than us. And chances are that we're going to win because they didn't fill all their Defensive slots.

Is there ANY tactic or strategy that does this deliberately? Is there some school of thinking that advises it? We see it a lot and it always mystifies us.
The only thing I can possibly think of is that they were so confident in the Defences that they did put down that were convinced we wouldn't be able to get through them; while simultaneously they'd be able to beat all our Defences with their strong squads that they have to attack with because they didn't put them in Defence. Is that a tactic people follow? Nothing else makes sense that I can see.

Replies

• Update: Well, we've now wiped them out, Ships and all, so there's no way they can win no matter how good their attacks turn out to be. And all because they didn't bother setting all their Defences.
    Just seems silly to me. *shrugs*
  • No tactical reason for this. They may have more people in guild but based on the GP numbers it sounds like they did not all sign up. And it appears many of those that did sign up basically did it for second place rewards.

This continues to surprise a lot of people but there is a very large segment of the player base that does not give a rats hind patootie about PvP in any format. They hang out in the 1,000+ range in arena and don't care.

Nothing surprising that they tend to congregate into guilds with many others who feel the same way. Leading to matchups like this. Bit of a drag for you but it is impossible to make everybody care about being good at PvP portions of the game. Or even to bother with it.
  • Well they are attacking. So some of them care. Or maybe they're just curious to see what they can do.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If a full defense is 4k banners only, then you're only setting 13 teams per territory. On your stage I wouldn't expect all your opponents to be active and set full defenses. It's a matter of casual play rather than strategy (or sillyness).
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    It also sounds like you are in the smaller GP range, and at that size there are guilds of casual players who don't come on forums and don't know how things work, etc. Many of the players may also feel they don't have defense teams to spare if they want to save for attack. Also, having 50 members in this range doesn't mean they're all active.

I was recently hanging out in a smaller guild and played merc in TW for them. It was actually the first time enough people had signed up for them to even do TW. So some didn't realize they had to fill defense. The opponent actually set fewer defenses.