Shard Mafias

Solus_Imperius
232 posts Member
edited November 2020
They are a violation of the ToS, yes?
But they are never punished because the communication happens out of game, yes?
What if one of them mouths off about it in game? Will he be punished? Or the whole group?
Or will the report be ignored because $$$?

I would like an option to, even if it costs money, reroll my Arena Shard.
I literally cannot participate in a function of the game because of a Shard Mafia.
I'm almost 5 million gp and don't want to start over.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Coordinated payout aren't against the ToS nor is using third party apps to communicate (as far as I know).
    "Shard mafias" have been debated a lot and I very much doubt anything can be done other than what you can do for yourself. Reach out to them and try and establish other players' payout times and see if you can reach an agreement with them. A higher risk alternative is to make a pest of yourself but these group may have 25 plus people in them so the numbers are stacked against you.
    Sorry but there really isn't much more you can do.
  • Yes, unfortunately I believe CG’s opinion on this is “git gud.” A lot of mobile games do let you change servers, but I don’t see how this one would be able to implement it fairly.
  • If OP could establish some other players' pay out times then they could re-set theirs to a less congested time.
  • Saada
    664 posts Member
    AlexanderG wrote: »
    If OP could establish some other players' pay out times then they could re-set theirs to a less congested time.

This could definitely work but I'd also recommend trying to contact someone at the top and get Involved in the discord chat. You'll then be able to see when everyone's payout is, change yours if needed, avoid hitting others leading up to their payout and with your payout known then there is less chance of you being sniped
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    It very much depends on the kind of people in the shard chat. They can be nice people and welcome you in if you regularly reach relevant positions, or they can be a bunch of... you know what and be hostile to outsiders no matter what. Also, getting in touch with someone can be frustrating. Anyway, trying to join is pretty much the only thing you can do about it.
  • GJO
    172 posts Member
    Shard mafias can be a nice thing, organizing payouts and letting players maximize profit by not doing refreshes. But, When they attack people outside mafia just because.... it's bad.
  • Bytestream
    421 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    To solve this is pretty easy.....People have to choose for one payout time......and then based on the payout time there is a daily rota in the shards. That means every day you've a new arena. Problem is that CG is too dump to implement this
  • Twi
    209 posts Member
    A more easy solution that in my opinion would lessen the issue is that your payout is based on your highest achieved rank over the last 24 hours. Not your rank at one certain time.

If this was implemented then the mafia could still help each other out. But outsiders or dare I say Solo PvP players wouldn’t have to deal with situations where a group knows your payout and actively block your progress at that time... such behavior is an abuse of the systems in place in my opinion. I have no joke been locked out of playing in arena for 30 mins leading up to my payout... not by people progressing but just by engaging and then timing out the arena battle.
  • Twi
    209 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    I acknowledge that this is an issue only for some of us with very hostile shard mofias but where they are it makes arena a very toxic game mode. And I don’t think it needs to be that way...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    No this is not against the ToS.

Unfortunately, you cannot change shards.
    Yes, unfortunately I believe CG’s opinion on this is “git gud.” A lot of mobile games do let you change servers, but I don’t see how this one would be able to implement it fairly.

Honestly, I have never seen a game that would let you change shards. Most groupings are to have people play together who started at the same time. Any development game in this style never lets you move due to the advantage you could have.

The few times I have heard of this, it has been a one time thing to move people out of a shard that was established during BETA, because some players had more time in game due to being there when the game was in a closed system.
  • Twi
    209 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    @Kyno what about changing the system to being based on highest rank achieved over a 24 hour window. While this would increase top tier payouts, it wouldn’t be a huge increase and would likely only affect those in the top 20 to 50.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Twi wrote: »
    Kyno what about changing the system to being based on highest rank achieved over a 24 hour window. While this would increase top tier payouts, it wouldn’t be a huge increase and would likely only affect those in the top 20 to 50.

First, I dont see how this does anything about the group that is organized for POs, if you can't work with them or change to try and go around them, you will still be in the same boat.

second, its just unlikely to happen, for multiple reasons. yes the increased payout per day is one of them.
  • Twi
    209 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Thank you for your response.

I think it does address the first issue in part. If you can’t make progress during your payout hour because the shard group knows when you are advancing, you can attack at another time within the 24 hour window approach. This also gives players a lot more freedom. As you can attack when you have the free time during your day instead of at one set window. I know CG has given us the option to move our payouts 2 times a year, but that only offers limited flexibility.

Example: I had a 1pm payout initially, and could not make progress, so I switched it to 7am. Had great success (rank 1/2 payouts) for a few days till the shard learned my new payout... and then back to limited progress (sub 10).

I could switch my payout again but then it’s locked for the year... this doesn’t give me the flexibility to be dynamic in my attack time that would let me work around a hostile shard group. The 24 hour window does.

I acknowledge that that there would be an increase in number of top payouts but, but I doubt it would be significant as you still have to fight to Rank 1.
  • Twi
    209 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    @CG_Doja_Fett what is your take on this topic? Have you heard it discussed in the office?

Thank you for your time and consideration
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Twi wrote: »
    Thank you for your response.

I think it does address the first issue in part. If you can’t make progress during your payout hour because the shard group knows when you are advancing, you can attack at another time within the 24 hour window approach. This also gives players a lot more freedom. As you can attack when you have the free time during your day instead of at one set window. I know CG has given us the option to move our payouts 2 times a year, but that only offers limited flexibility.

Example: I had a 1pm payout initially, and could not make progress, so I switched it to 7am. Had great success (rank 1/2 payouts) for a few days till the shard learned my new payout... and then back to limited progress (sub 10).

I could switch my payout again but then it’s locked for the year... this doesn’t give me the flexibility to be dynamic in my attack time that would let me work around a hostile shard group. The 24 hour window does.

I acknowledge that that there would be an increase in number of top payouts but, but I doubt it would be significant as you still have to fight to Rank 1.

if you can't work you way around them or with them now. it doesn't' change anything. but who really knows.

I think you are missing the bigger picture on the increased PO. who would actually have to fight for 1? right now its a fight because you have to be there at a certain time. if all i have to do is touch 1, its not a fight at all. once I hit one, i dont take it back, so the next player to beat me now also gets 1st PO.

in my shard we have 7 hours with multiple people, they dont all get 1 every day. in this system they easily would, on top of that, it doesnt' account for the increased number of players who get into the top50 at one moment, or the top 20 at one moment. in reality it is a huge increase in PO.
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    This thread again.

Another candidate for a FAQ.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    They are a violation of the ToS, yes?

No, they are not.

• Bytestream wrote: »
    To solve this is pretty easy.....People have to choose for one payout time......and then based on the payout time there is a daily rota in the shards. That means every day you've a new arena. Problem is that CG is too dump to implement this

People can communicate even if you rotate the shards. And there would only be so many fair ways to rotate the shards (since arena shards are based on when you started playing the game). And, since this is not the arena mode that many of us have been playing for 5+ years, it might create some backlash if it is changed now.

So other than your "pretty easy" fix not actually fixing anything, being an idea that would cause many to leave the game and would be both extremely difficult to implement fairly and be very limited in its effectiveness, it's a good plan.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • @Kyno
    Can you close this one too
    So no more necroposting occurs
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.