Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• The end result is the same though, unless there is a change they failed to communicate with us. Unlocking an 80 shard character will still give us 80 shards if we have that character unlocked. But now those shards are worth half.

Maybe CG can chime in here... but you don't see shards when unlocking a character through Bronziums. You only see shards when the character is already unlocked. Wouldn't that, as defined in the update, mean that the shards are doubled?

I wrote in another thread that I felt there was an issue, but then I re-read the update and thought that there may be no issue?

I guess until they clarify we can't know for certain, but I took it to mean single shard drops. Could be wrong though, we can cross our fingers and pray.
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    The end result is the same though, unless there is a change they failed to communicate with us. Unlocking an 80 shard character will still give us 80 shards if we have that character unlocked. But now those shards are worth half.

Maybe CG can chime in here... but you don't see shards when unlocking a character through Bronziums. You only see shards when the character is already unlocked. Wouldn't that, as defined in the update, mean that the shards are doubled?

I wrote in another thread that I felt there was an issue, but then I re-read the update and thought that there may be no issue?

I guess until they clarify we can't know for certain, but I took it to mean single shard drops. Could be wrong though, we can cross our fingers and pray.

@CG_Doja_Fett this is one of those times where information is vague and we as players try to start reading between the lines as to what is meant.
    This does not affect full character drops from Bronzium packs

This could mean if you get a charater it will not be 2 charater drops how the conversion of the charater to shards will be doubled
    Or
    If you get a charater that is converted to shards you will not get double shards.

I am pretty sure I know which one it is, however the more specifics the better.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    scuba wrote: »
    The end result is the same though, unless there is a change they failed to communicate with us. Unlocking an 80 shard character will still give us 80 shards if we have that character unlocked. But now those shards are worth half.

CG_Doja_Fett this is one of those times where information is vague and we as players try to start reading between the lines as to what is meant.

This could mean if you get a charater it will not be 2 charater drops how the conversion of the charater to shards will be doubled
    Or
    If you get a charater that is converted to shards you will not get double shards.

He may come here and chime in, but while being not 100% clear it means exactly what it says. Full characters will not be effected and the shards you get from them will not be doubled.

So any full character drops (1-4 stars) from bronzium will be just like they are right now(10-80 shards)
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »

CG_Doja_Fett this is one of those times where information is vague and we as players try to start reading between the lines as to what is meant.

Or

He may come here and chime in, but while being not 100% clear it means exactly what it says. Full characters will not be effected and the shards you get from them will not be doubled.

So any full character drops (1-4 stars) from bronzium will be just like they are right now(10-80 shards)

As I said I am pretty sure I know the answer. I was pointing out an example of what I was talking about earlier.
    If posts left no questions about the intent there would be no need to read between the lines and speculate.
  • I could see it being read either way. It could be that only the full character drops are left unchanged meaning the first time you hit that character and you never see shards. If that is the case, then there really isn't an issue as this would mean that the shards received over time that can be converted would be equal to what they are now.

It could also be read as that any of the shards converted from a full character drop won't be changed. If this is the case, then it defeats the purpose of changing the bronizums at all since probably 90% of the shards are from full character drops converted to shards.

I'm hoping that it is the first. But regardless, I think now is time for patience until they provide some clarification rather than preemptively complaining.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I could see it being read either way. It could be that only the full character drops are left unchanged meaning the first time you hit that character and you never see shards. If that is the case, then there really isn't an issue as this would mean that the shards received over time that can be converted would be equal to what they are now.

It could also be read as that any of the shards converted from a full character drop won't be changed. If this is the case, then it defeats the purpose of changing the bronizums at all since probably 90% of the shards are from full character drops converted to shards.

I'm hoping that it is the first. But regardless, I think now is time for patience until they provide some clarification rather than preemptively complaining.

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

The fix effects the top row and does nothing for the bottom.

This fix changes nothing about the full character drop, or the shards we get from them.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I could see it being read either way. It could be that only the full character drops are left unchanged meaning the first time you hit that character and you never see shards. If that is the case, then there really isn't an issue as this would mean that the shards received over time that can be converted would be equal to what they are now.

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

This fix changes nothing about the full character drop, or the shards we get from them.

I agree with you that it can be interpreted that way. But that would basically make the change to the bronizums pretty much a non change since most of the shard shop currency comes from the full character drops.

Do you actually know for sure that this is how they mean it or are you just speculating as are the rest of us?
  • I thought the post was very clear. We are being thrown a tiny bone. CG knows that the full drops are the main thing, and despite numerous suggestions for solutions from the community, they aren't addressing the real issue. Nothing much has changed and we're supposed to be happy about 2 Biggs shards vs. 1. Don't get me wrong, the double drops for older toons is absolutely needed for new players, that's awesome. But don't treat us like we're stupid and say this change is somehow "neutral" for the game's economy.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

I agree with you that it can be interpreted that way. But that would basically make the change to the bronizums pretty much a non change since most of the shard shop currency comes from the full character drops.

Do you actually know for sure that this is how they mean it or are you just speculating as are the rest of us?

It is nothing about interpretation or speculation. It is that way.

I get that it could be clearer, but it states this pretty clearly, and yes I did confirm this.

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

I get that it could be clearer, but it states this pretty clearly, and yes I did confirm this.

Boo, really missed an opportunity there.

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

Then now that we know with confirmation, we know that it's practically a non-change. So I can go back to being only mildly pleased with the update (only because of HAAT sim) and mostly miffed at how much it didn't do.

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

Then now that we know with confirmation, we know that it's practically a non-change. So I can go back to being only mildly pleased with the update (only because of HAAT sim) and mostly miffed at how much it didn't do.
    They couldn't double the character drops because of new players. 160 shards is enough to five star a character if you do that twice you get 320. 10 shards short of 7*.
  • Some times ago, I saved all my bronzium shard drops.
    On 1.425M Bronzium (5700 attemtps), I droped 486 single shards, and 1940 shards from full characters.
    On these numbers, that means 80% of my bronziums shards come from full cahracters.
    If the full characters shards are not doubled with the next update, this means a loss of 40% of the shard values won from bronziums.

I know my number of attempts are maybe not high enough to be accurate, but I think it's still big enough to have an idea of the lose we'll get.
  • GeneralTartarus
    14 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Csharpmao wrote: »
    Some times ago, I saved all my bronzium shard drops.
    On 1.425M Bronzium (5700 attemtps), I droped 486 single shards, and 1940 shards from full characters.
    On these numbers, that means 80% of my bronziums shards come from full cahracters.
    If the full characters shards are not doubled with the next update, this means a loss of 40% of the shard values won from bronziums.

I know my number of attempts are maybe not high enough to be accurate, but I think it's still big enough to have an idea of the lose we'll get.

Based on your numbers alone (which is a pretty solid base), it's pretty clear that we're being taken on a bit of a ride.

486 + 1940 = 2426 * 15 = 36,390 shard shop currency

After shard drops are doubled, and shard shop prices are doubled:

972 + 1940 = 2912 * 15 = 43,680 shard shop currency

A 20% increase in shard income doesn't equate to a 100% increase in shard shop costs!!! It's just mental!
    Ahch-To is recruiting! Say hi, and find yourself a new home with us: https://discord.gg/KTeUgyTeZD
  • I love the idea behind the shard economy change.
    I was happy that bronzium issue would be looked at.
    I am sorely disappointed that this is presented as a fix.
    40% reduction is not as bad as 50% to be sure, but it is still a major nerf and increases the long lamented gear crunch.

I don’t think the worst of CG, so I don’t believe this was their intent. I think this is much more of an oversight, but then just be honest about it.
    The main source of shard shop currency will be reduced 40%, gear crunch increases, we have to deal with that.
  • Unless it includes the full character drops it's not a fix at all. I don't really get how it can even in the slightest be considered a fix.
  • So, they made the nerf to bronziums slightly less of a nerf. Instead of bronziums being worth 50% of what they are now they'll be worth 52% of what they are now. How disappointing.
  • Konju
    1142 posts Member
    I run two accounts: my main is 4.9M GP and my alt is 1.6M GP. I am fairly excited to get double shards as well. The idea is good for new players and vets that need to go back for some random toons. The issue is that shards are very rarely the true crunch (unless created to be such i.e. marquee characters). The gear crunch is a much bigger issue.

As far as I know, characters have always required 330 shards for 7* but the gear keeps going up and up and up. G9, G10, G11, G12, G12+, G13, R7 and new R8! So at around 200 characters we need 66,000 shards to 7* the game roster, but each character needs thousands of gear pieces and relic materials to be useful.

CG: Please take another look at this change. The gear is the real crunch and you know it. Nerfing the Bronzium packs only increases the gear crunch on the ever growing list of 7* characters new/old players will acquire. A better version of the shard economy change could be:

Double Drops in stores and nodes for year old characters.
    No shard shop currency changes
    No Bronzium pack changes

This solution provides a multiple win scenario for the new player, old player, and CG who would likely see increased activity with their game. If they are too concerned about giving out double the shard shop currency, then here is a PR mess solution for you:

Double drop nodes only on year old characters
    No shard change to stores
    No shard shop currency changes
    No change to Bronzium packs

This would still speed up node farming for shards, benefitting new and old players. It doesn’t do anything to or for any of the shops. The result could reward better shard shop currency from 2 character shard nodes where 1 character is already done.

Either of these solutions is still a benefit to the player base without nerfing the biggest crunch of all: gear.
  • And what about the Assault Battles? Are those shard rewards doubled, or have they been hit with the lazy nerf stick as well?
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    StarSon wrote: »
    And what about the Assault Battles? Are those shard rewards doubled, or have they been hit with the lazy nerf stick as well?
    As the primary impact of these changes, Accelerated Characters have their Shard distribution doubled in most modes:

Combat nodes drop 2 Shards instead of 1. This increases to 4 during Double Drops.

Store Shipments provide twice as many Shards for the same amount of currency (ex: 10 for the price of 5 previously).

Includes Galactic War and non-Journey Guide Events. (ex: Assault Battles)

Does not include Quests & Achievements.

Does not include Bronzium Data Cards due to a technical issue. We will explore increasing this rate in a future update.

Reading is fundamental, try that before complaining
  • scuba wrote: »
    It occurs to me that full character drops in Bronzium used to award only half shards if you already had the character unlocked. At some point in the last couple years they changed this mechanic to a full equivalent shard drop.
    So this change effectively is reverting Bronzium shards back to their original value. Except for the single shard drops, that is.

It was less than half before iirc

I think you are right. Since I could not recall exactly, I was being generous.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Morgoth01 wrote: »
    I don’t think the worst of CG, so I don’t believe this was their intent. I think this is much more of an oversight, but then just be honest about it.

We will know soon enough if it is an oversight. My money is on purposeful though.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »

We will know soon enough if it is an oversight. My money is on purposeful though.

It's not, but we all know the truth never gets in the way of a good story around here.

It's not an oversight, the bronzium system was out of scope of this project. They tried to fit this fix in to "meet half way", but it's not quite there, as we are pointing out. I cant share more details on the conversations around this, unfortunately.

This was not a purposeful nerf to gear income.
  • scuba
    14016 posts Member
    I love the idea behind the shard economy change.
    40% reduction is not as bad as 50% to be sure, but it is still a major nerf and increases the long lamented gear crunch.

The main source of shard shop currency will be reduced 40%, gear crunch increases, we have to deal with that.

They probably won't confirm, however I still believe the "technical" issue was/is the full dropped character conversion to shards in bronzium, so They gave us what they could.

It's not, but we all know the truth never gets in the way of a good story around here.

It's not an oversight, the bronzium system was out of scope of this project. They tried to fit this fix in to "meet half way", but it's not quite there, as we are pointing out. I cant share more details on the conversations around this, unfortunately.

It wasn't an oversight, but it was an oversight? What?

Except it is. Purposeful or not, it’s a nerf to gear income. So I think the term “chop chop” applies to fixing the overall gear economy now because the autoing of a raid with meh rewards does not make up for a nerf to gear economy.

0h6kslztsst1.jpg

They couldn't double the character drops because of new players. 160 shards is enough to five star a character if you do that twice you get 320. 10 shards short of 7*.

I mean, considering they were saying the whole point of this is expediting the new player experience, the farming elsewhere is doubled so that you only need 33 shipments to 7* someone which, in a worst case scenario for most shops is about a month, and that newer players don't build up millions of ally points, I don't see how getting 320 in two full drops would be bad. Especially since they have to unlock the character first, so to 7* them they'd have to get a full character drop (rare) of the same character (rarer) 3 times (crazy) in a short amount of time. If it took them a month to do this, or even slightly less, it's in time with the rest of the updated farming. Honestly it's a non-issue to say it would speed up new player farming.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

They probably won't confirm, however I still believe the "technical" issue was/is the full dropped character conversion to shards in bronzium, so They gave us what they could.

This is my understanding as well.
  • scuba wrote: »

They could have simply doubled bronzium acquisition rates. If they "gave us what they could", their problem solving leaves A LOT to be desired.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*