Shard Economy Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• Looking at the list of toons posted ...When is "Ewok Eldar" coming to the game? Is he or she a close relative of Ewok Elder ?
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    the clarification is in Crumb's post, character shards obtained from bronzium and then converted for shard shop currency will have half the value they currently do, once gear prices are doubled
  • I had no idea bronzium was such a high source of shard shop currency. How many shards per day are we talking about here, on average ?
  • I feel like Kyno shared one of my comments about shard economy with devs. I'm quite happy with changes =D
  • crzydroid
    7233 posts Moderator
    crzydroid wrote: »
    I think the bronzium thing is they just aren't doubling the drop rates for bronziums yet. Shards obtained from bronziums are still going to trade in for twice as much Shard Store currency. So nothing is being nerfed in terms of what you can buy now.

GW drops ARE getting doubled, so your Shard Store gear farming is still getting a buff.

No the shards from bronzium are considered "accelerated characters" so they won't be double value. At least I'm pretty sure I read that right.

I am re-reading this and trying to figure that out as well. It does seem to imply that they won't be getting the double conversion. If so, that is concerning and hopefully will be fixed soon.

No, I think I was right the first time. Original rate characters are getting doubled in store, it's accelerated rate (ie, double shards) that is not.

So there is no bronzium nerf. They are original rate (shards not getting doubled) so they will have their conversion doubled.

All 33 characters in the bronzium packs are considered accelerated. Original rate refers to drop rate, not original characters. So bronzium packs are accelerated characters, ie 15 shard shop currency, without the benefit of double drops. So there is a nerf.

I suppose that depends on if the tag of "accelerated" for conversion is attached to the character or the node from which it was dropped.

If it is looking at the character, then it is a nerf.

If it is attached to drop source (a doubled node vs non-doubled) it is not.

I suppose some dev clarification would be needed.

True, I would need some clarification to be sure, but given how they specified them as two types of "shards" and used Mando as an example, I think it's safe to assume it's the shards being doubled, not the nodes. Which makes the Bronzium nerf a very real fear and they should address that as soon as they are capable of the fix.

I mean, it may well be the case that it is attached to characters regardless of location. I guess I just defaulted to reading it as drop source, but maybe I was just being optimistic.
  • Starslayer wrote: »
    I had no idea bronzium was such a high source of shard shop currency. How many shards per day are we talking about here, on average ?

Someone did the math and said roughly for every 1000 ally points, you get 1 shard. Roughly speaking, that means like three shards a day or something, but for people at end game who have six digits of ally points, that's hundreds of shards that are essentially at half value.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    I think the bronzium thing is they just aren't doubling the drop rates for bronziums yet. Shards obtained from bronziums are still going to trade in for twice as much Shard Store currency. So nothing is being nerfed in terms of what you can buy now.

GW drops ARE getting doubled, so your Shard Store gear farming is still getting a buff.

No the shards from bronzium are considered "accelerated characters" so they won't be double value. At least I'm pretty sure I read that right.

I am re-reading this and trying to figure that out as well. It does seem to imply that they won't be getting the double conversion. If so, that is concerning and hopefully will be fixed soon.

No, I think I was right the first time. Original rate characters are getting doubled in store, it's accelerated rate (ie, double shards) that is not.

So there is no bronzium nerf. They are original rate (shards not getting doubled) so they will have their conversion doubled.

All 33 characters in the bronzium packs are considered accelerated. Original rate refers to drop rate, not original characters. So bronzium packs are accelerated characters, ie 15 shard shop currency, without the benefit of double drops. So there is a nerf.

I suppose that depends on if the tag of "accelerated" for conversion is attached to the character or the node from which it was dropped.

If it is looking at the character, then it is a nerf.

If it is attached to drop source (a doubled node vs non-doubled) it is not.

I suppose some dev clarification would be needed.

True, I would need some clarification to be sure, but given how they specified them as two types of "shards" and used Mando as an example, I think it's safe to assume it's the shards being doubled, not the nodes. Which makes the Bronzium nerf a very real fear and they should address that as soon as they are capable of the fix.

I mean, it may well be the case that it is attached to characters regardless of location. I guess I just defaulted to reading it as drop source, but maybe I was just being optimistic.

I would love if that was clarified, but even if it was from drop sources and not the shards themselves, the Shard Shop prices will still be doubling so there's a nerf to Bronzium packs as a source anyway.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Starslayer wrote: »
    I had no idea bronzium was such a high source of shard shop currency. How many shards per day are we talking about here, on average ?

you are missing out.

it all depends on how many times you want to press the button in the bronzium pack per day. I have already been working on my stockpile for a while. was up over 1M ally points. i'm just over 500k now.

i can generate about 1k shard shop currency easily while watching TV.
  • Ship shards, particular for ETA would be a nice addition. It's a big gate for GAS

Also, need more GET 1&2 options. If you are a new account in a small guild, you are at a huge disadvantage.
  • As a launch player I feel angry and taken advantage of by all this help that new players are going to get. I mean it took me 3-4 months to farm Shaak ti and Nest at 3 to 4 crystal refresh’s a day on those ship nodes that drop on a good day 2 toon shards. Why don’t the new players have to go through this irritating process like everyone else? If CG has to do this economy rework why not give us older players a break on these GL tickets or eliminate the ticket system all together.

Got to admit, this took far longer to appear than I expected. I owe a guildmate a fiver now.
  • As a launch player I feel angry and taken advantage of by all this help that new players are going to get. I mean it took me 3-4 months to farm Shaak ti and Nest at 3 to 4 crystal refresh’s a day on those ship nodes that drop on a good day 2 toon shards. Why don’t the new players have to go through this irritating process like everyone else? If CG has to do this economy rework why not give us older players a break on these GL tickets or eliminate the ticket system all together.

I feel like this might be the wrong thread, since most of us here love that it's helping newer players. But you're welcome to try calculating how many crystals you used and ask a dev what the chances are that we get a gift or compensation after this update if we've been here for over x amount of months or whatever. I just don't think it'll happen and frankly it's the least of my concerns about this update.
  • slmcmr
    875 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    May i suggest something to the devs?

Keep the characters shard gained from bronzium packs same. Also keep the shard shop value of every character as they are now. However do not change the prices in shard shop
    This will help us with gear crunch a little and save you time from fixing them. Everybody wins here...
  • slmcmr wrote: »
    May i suggest something to the devs?

Keep the characters shard gained from bronzium packs same. Also keep the shard shop value of every character as they are now. However so not change the prices in shard shop
    This will help us with gear crunch a little and save you time from fixing them. Everybody wins here...

While I would love this, I do see their point in doubling the price so that they don't flood the gear market completely. However I do agree that maybe it should be more like 1.5x the price so as not to bottleneck everyone relying on the Bronzium fix for the SSC income.
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    Enas_Yorl wrote: »
    Typical CG communication. NEVER believe if they announce somthing as BIG change. It is always BIG for them but never for the good of the player.
    Except every new and veteran player is getting 8 shards of at toon from guild tokens, cantina tokens, GW tokens, Fleet tokens, and hard nodes

This is a pretty big change for newer players, lets not undermine that
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Voygliz wrote: »
    u8zoiq61p2l3.jpg
    That's simply not true.
    In fact, items will be more expensive, as everything will cost double but most of of currency will come from older toons whose change will be same.
    When we recieve a 50x shards of an old toon it will be 750 currency either way, but now items will be 2x expensive.

If this was not what you were looking for, check it out. If not, tell us you're making things more expensive but don't lie to us.
    Simple maths.

please go back and read it again.

it works out to equal, for any shards, the only down side is bronzium at this point.

What about character shards and gear from weekly shipmemts?
  • So a boost in shards for new players. That’s good. Great catch-up mechanic for them.

However nothing for older players or those with you since day one. In fact you’re taking away from them by claiming a “technical issue”. If that’s the case dont do anything until you fix the issue. Veteran players are again getting stiffed.

Also zero change to gear drop rates...thats....fantastic...thanks?
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    So a boost in shards for new players. That’s good. Great catch-up mechanic for them.

However nothing for older players or those with you since day one. In fact you’re taking away from them by claiming a “technical issue”. If that’s the case dont do anything until you fix the issue. Veteran players are again getting stiffed.

Also zero change to gear drop rates...thats....fantastic...thanks?

Yeah and passing it off as part of the 5 year anniversary makes it seem like you'd be marketing it towards people who've been around the majority of the five years, but instead our main update is taking something away from us for a while. Time to celebrate guys.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Typical CG communication. NEVER believe if they announce somthing as BIG change. It is always BIG for them but never for the good of the player.
    Except every new and veteran player is getting 8 shards of at toon from guild tokens, cantina tokens, GW tokens, Fleet tokens, and hard nodes

what new players are all you talking about? its really hard to find recruits in the game and there isnt any fresh new blood and this token change to try to look like they care isnt going to bring any fresh new blood in. ive tried before but i dont know anyone that would play this game as a new player with the state of the game as bad at it is and how bad ea/cg has treated the community for so long.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

any shard that has its value stay the same as it is now, will be doubled at the source, except in places like bronzium.

This is confusing, but untrue. Shards farmed have the same value. If you are farming Piett your shard shop from RH Poe income is relatively the same.

BUT, if you have raw shards, like a toon sitting at 200/100, like a lot of people have, converting those after the change yields have the buying power.

Shards lose buying power, but you only have shards stored in unstarred chars or unspent ally points.

Maybe convert those before the update then?

Ah yes, can't wait to hear horror stories about people spending millions upon millions of credits to retain the buying power of their shards, only to be caught in a new artificially made credit crunch.

"Millions upon millions"? How many characters did you farm without promoting? Feels like something of an edge case there.

any shard that has its value stay the same as it is now, will be doubled at the source, except in places like bronzium.

This is confusing, but untrue. Shards farmed have the same value. If you are farming Piett your shard shop from RH Poe income is relatively the same.

BUT, if you have raw shards, like a toon sitting at 200/100, like a lot of people have, converting those after the change yields have the buying power.

Shards lose buying power, but you only have shards stored in unstarred chars or unspent ally points.

Also, the huge GP jump that's going to come from doing that could negatively impact mid-low level GAC matchmaking, as players may not have a solid top 80 characters or whatever the number is, as well as TW matchmaking for guilds.

What huge GP jump? Stars account for a very small amount of GP. And what are these people going to do in the next few months when *all* of their characters have shards to go to 7* now that farming has gone up? Just never promote them?

If every character costs almost 2 million total to rush promote to 7*, and new players can farm them that high faster, what is to stop an artificial credit crunch from being created where they can't farm credits fast enough to keep up with farming characters? If the appeal is helping new players, they have essentially created a whole new issue and need to address a credit crunch.

My other points with GP and such were expanded on in another comment, but most of my reasoning here is held in the light of new players "benefitting." Unless they research the perfect way to build the right team, they'll be spending and gearing up every new character they can find, like most newbies do when they can. If/when these new players achieve GA level, they will have weird matchmaking and most likely not have enough solid teams to compete well.

Essentially they're creating weird new economy and matchmaking issues by increasing the shard farm which I hope they actually do keep an eye on and plan to fix.

my alt has 154 million credits. at 2.8 mil GP. It's significantly easier to get currency these days than it was when the game first started.
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020

Ah yes, can't wait to hear horror stories about people spending millions upon millions of credits to retain the buying power of their shards, only to be caught in a new artificially made credit crunch.

"Millions upon millions"? How many characters did you farm without promoting? Feels like something of an edge case there.

Also, the huge GP jump that's going to come from doing that could negatively impact mid-low level GAC matchmaking, as players may not have a solid top 80 characters or whatever the number is, as well as TW matchmaking for guilds.

What huge GP jump? Stars account for a very small amount of GP. And what are these people going to do in the next few months when *all* of their characters have shards to go to 7* now that farming has gone up? Just never promote them?

If every character costs almost 2 million total to rush promote to 7*, and new players can farm them that high faster, what is to stop an artificial credit crunch from being created where they can't farm credits fast enough to keep up with farming characters? If the appeal is helping new players, they have essentially created a whole new issue and need to address a credit crunch.

My other points with GP and such were expanded on in another comment, but most of my reasoning here is held in the light of new players "benefitting." Unless they research the perfect way to build the right team, they'll be spending and gearing up every new character they can find, like most newbies do when they can. If/when these new players achieve GA level, they will have weird matchmaking and most likely not have enough solid teams to compete well.

Essentially they're creating weird new economy and matchmaking issues by increasing the shard farm which I hope they actually do keep an eye on and plan to fix.

my alt has 154 million credits. at 2.8 mil GP. It's significantly easier to get currency these days than it was when the game first started.

Easier than when it first started, yeah, but when every new player has the ability to farm a character to seven stars in half the time, they don't inherently need more credits, they just need them *faster*.

It will create an artificial credit crunch in the mid game. By which I mean everyone between level 50 and 80 who hasn't unlocked the biggest and easiest credit sources like simming the GW daily and the top tier of the Credit Heist.

Even when they hit 85, until they've built up a hoard, every character going straight to seven stars and max level requires over 8 million credits. Since people with more shards will be encouraged to farm for legendaries and such faster, they will need to spend these credits on improving their roster. It'll cost over 40 million credits to 7* characters like Yoda, which it already did, but now it'll hit faster in a small crunched area of the game with no significant sources of credit income.
  • So is playing 18 months make me a New or Old player?

Either way I'm not thrilled w/ this since GEAR is hands down the biggest bottleneck in the game & this results in less gear per day from Bronziums.

And given how long it takes to gear up an entire 5 man team, I'm not sure why people are in such a hurry to make it to 7*.
    You'll just be sitting there at G8 for that much longer it seems.

What CG could have done here is just leave the shard shop alone & let the increased # of shards lead to easing the gear crunch. I know, I know, what a crazy idea THAT is.

All I know from this is that in the short term I'm shifting my ARC Trooper Cantina farms over to Signal Data till the Double Shards kicks in, Same with Nihilus & Stun Gun Nodes.
    And, in the long term I'm going to be gimped even more in my Shard Shop purchases. :(
  • mariogsh
    783 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Ultra wrote: »

i wont.

i just do not like the communication style CG has chosen which sells players as fools. Its not a big improvement for any elder player its a HUGE step back and wont make the game more attractive to new players.

And ... CG knows exactly what they are doing. They have all the data available and know exactly which group of players buys what in which shop. This is only good for their money-making strategy but not for players who can ... excuse me .. formerly could buy some extra gear. Now its only half of what i could get. Am i happy ... definitely NOT. But mostly i dislike this communication style to sell me as a fool.

Sorry, I don't understand for real what's the problem? Bronziums are not included rn due to a technical issue

But how this increase affect you outside of that?

Me, a 3.8M GP player (a little no one for you maybe in comparison) I'm very grateful for this, will speed up my Hux, Sith Trooper and JKL farms

Yes, I do use a LOT of bronziums too for the same reason and will hurt me, but then use all your ally points either now, or wait till they fix and update the shard drop rates in there too
    Post edited by mariogsh on
  • I love this change! Great for the alt, who is getting killed with 1 B1 shard every 3 days atm. Will it negatively impact me? Probably. Do I care? No. They say they're going to fix the Bronzium issue and I have no reason to doubt them.
  • Starslayer wrote: »

Someone did the math and said roughly for every 1000 ally points, you get 1 shard. Roughly speaking, that means like three shards a day or something, but for people at end game who have six digits of ally points, that's hundreds of shards that are essentially at half value.
    Kyno wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »

you are missing out.

it all depends on how many times you want to press the button in the bronzium pack per day. I have already been working on my stockpile for a while. was up over 1M ally points. i'm just over 500k now.

i can generate about 1k shard shop currency easily while watching TV.

Thanks, very helpful ! I have a stockpile too that I'm far too lazy to use, so I guess it doubles my lazyness ;)

Despite the bronzium situation, this is great change imo. Allowing new to not-so-new-but-not-seasoned yet players to double their journey to 7* will allow them to unlock legendary-like characters twice as fast. Good stuff.
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    edited November 2020
    So is playing 18 months make me a New or Old player?

Either way I'm not thrilled w/ this since GEAR is hands down the biggest bottleneck in the game & this results in less gear per day from Bronziums.

And given how long it takes to gear up an entire 5 man team, I'm not sure why people are in such a hurry to make it to 7*.
    You'll just be sitting there at G8 for that much longer it seems.
    Yeah, the difference between a 5 star and a 7 star character is minimal if you don't have the gear to push them to g12 and up

which is still an issue newer players will face, this removes the grind for characters but doesn't really move the needle too much imo
    These changes clearly open the door to conversations about other economies, including Gear.
    From the wording here, it seems like gear economy changes are still, at a minimum, half a year away
  • Gear crunch is way worse than character shards. And you're making that twice as bad