Championship opponents

qui0spiuar
12 posts Member
edited November 2020
Hello there,
Anyone can help me understand why all the opponents in the Championship are much stronger than me? I am <700K and most of them are +800k. None has a lower GP than mine! It is very difficult to win in these conditions any fight.
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• That’s a much closer gap then what you’d see in division 1, I’m 5.7 mil Gp and 3 people in my GA group have well over 6.5 mil, and the rest have 6 mil. It’s just the way it is.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    The matchmaking takes into account only the top X characters of your roster, not sure about the exact number. So, if you have close to that number of characters geared up but the rest is weak, you can get matched with someone who has the characters that don't cout for the matchmaking at much better gear, resulting in the GP difference. It's not ideal, but imo better than straight GP match when laser-focused roster (typically a young whale) just wiped the floor with a broader one (typically an old player with roster inflated by past metas).
  • Nauros wrote: »
    The matchmaking takes into account only the top X characters of your roster, not sure about the exact number. So, if you have close to that number of characters geared up but the rest is weak, you can get matched with someone who has the characters that don't cout for the matchmaking at much better gear, resulting in the GP difference. It's not ideal, but imo better than straight GP match when laser-focused roster (typically a young whale) just wiped the floor with a broader one (typically an old player with roster inflated by past metas).

Think its the top 80?
  • qui0spiuar
    12 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Thanks for the replies. The problem that I am constantly the "weaker" in the group. Under 1 Mil, you don't have so many good 7* characters to fill 6 teams...
  • 7* does not a strong character make. It’s gear that makes all the difference.

Do you have a swgoh.gg account? If not - you should. If so, post the link, then we can maybe explain why you’re matching against people with higher total GP
  • I will check how to create one.
    I agree, it is not just the stars, the gear, the mods, .... but generally greater GP means better characters. If they are 20% stronger I have lower chances.
  • That’s debatable.

As an example, here’s my swgoh.gg https://swgoh.gg/p/343174317/

I’ve lost in GAC to plenty of people with 5.5M GP, believe me!
  • https://swgoh.gg/p/984484827/ this is mine. Much weaker than yours... :)
  • At your level, I’m not sure how many teams you need to set in GAC.

But the way matchmaking essentially works is that all the characters beyond a certain point are not considered. You have some characters at a very low level at the bottom end of your roster. If you check who you’re getting matched with, they probably have the characters at the bottom of their roster with more gear on them.

At first glance it seems grossly unfair, but when you realise that the characters causing the imbalance in your matchup are likely to never get used, it makes sense.

Though there are still many who complain bitterly about it even though they know how it works!
  • I still feel that gls need a weighting score in matchmaking, not complaining, much, this round my slkr vs Rey, slkr and jml...but I have more gp than him.. sigh
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    qui0spiuar wrote: »
    I will check how to create one.
    I agree, it is not just the stars, the gear, the mods, .... but generally greater GP means better characters. If they are 20% stronger I have lower chances.

Not necessarily. In your division you are setting 3 squads (9 characters) on defense and the round winner will most likely use approximately 9 characters on offense to win. Any unused characters don't influence the outcome of the round. That's the reason why you are not matched by total roster GP but by the GP of your top 18 characters (and ships also factor in in some way). Total roster GP is irrelevant for your chances to win.
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    I still feel that gls need a weighting score in matchmaking, not complaining, much, this round my slkr vs Rey, slkr and jml...but I have more gp than him.. sigh

We hear this a lot, but have a look at this:
    1s963bm8zk6r.jpeg
    That’s almost exactly 300K GP for the SLKR requirements, plus the 50K for SLKR himself.

How much more of a GP weighting do they need?
  • Nauros wrote: »

Think its the top 80?

It's division dependant. On vanilla gac, this number is slots*10.
    I still feel that gls need a weighting score in matchmaking, not complaining, much, this round my slkr vs Rey, slkr and jml...but I have more gp than him.. sigh

1s963bm8zk6r.jpeg
    That’s almost exactly 300K GP for the SLKR requirements, plus the 50K for SLKR himself.

I am regularly matched with someone who is around 300-700k more GP than me, and I'm in Div 3, nearly 2, so that 350k for SLKR is nothing as far as MM goes. Not saying that weighing them heavier is necessarily a good idea, but 350k in the form of a GL has way more effect than the numbers would suggest.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    GP doesn't necessarily matter, roster focus does. It's possible to beat someone with a higher total GP (which keep in mind is taking into account ships).

One thing I notice is that your roster is starting to go a little top heavy already. Your best team is fairly good at low levels, but not even necessarily the greatest, and they are geared way higher than anything else you have. I don't know that I would've made Old Ben one of my first two g12s. There's no reason Luminara should be at g10 (mine is g8 and level 77, for example). By the time you're able to break into g12, you should in theory have access to much better healers.

Aside from your arena team though, you have a few other g10s and 11s, but not many other geared squads or even characters after that. So your top single squad being so much stronger than anything else you have is going to influence your matchups. Someone might not have their top teams geared as much as yours, but they have more fieldable teams, and maybe with better comps or even mods.
  • I know it is not balanced, but with a strong team, I am doing better in the arena, events and heroic raids... Old Ben was one of the strongest tanks accessible and I will need him for Luke.
    Luminara was one of my first 7* farmed from the store with no very big effort.
    Thank you for your answer.
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    qui0spiuar wrote: »
    I know it is not balanced, but with a strong team, I am doing better in the arena, events and heroic raids... Old Ben was one of the strongest tanks accessible and I will need him for Luke.
    Luminara was one of my first 7* farmed from the store with no very big effort.
    Thank you for your answer.

I understand that and I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing. But since the post was about GAC matchups, I was pointing this out as an issue.

I understand that some of those characters are easily reachable, but I was trying to say that if you can gear that high, other characters/teams should be just as easily accessible. It's probably a little trickier for new players now, as when I was at your point g11 and 12 didn't even exist.

But another suggestion I can make is, having a more rounded roster will help in all those areas you mentioned as well. Yes, you see that you increase effectiveness with more gear, but at a certain point, you'll want the most bang for your buck. Bastila Jedi is not really a raid team. If you farm teams to specifically do well in certain phases of the raids, then provided you have the mods, you can probably do more damage at lower gear than your current team. Likewise, events as a whole sometimes benefit from specific teams. Arena rank can always be improved with good team comps and mods (and don't neglect ships! Ship arena is usually more low key and easier to place at the top).
  • I understand, for sure in the future, my arena team characters will go into specific teams, once I will have the others... Old Ben will be replaced by "young" Ben :), Bastila by Padme and so on...
    Thanks again.

1s963bm8zk6r.jpeg

I’m 6.2 mil with slkr, my first round opponent this time is 6.0mil, with slkr, jml and Rey. On paper I win by pure top 80 gp, in reality I’m boned.

By weighting I mean an activated gl needs to be a separate part of the mm, perhaps division/top 80 as stage one of mm, then stage two number of gls and then match based on 1/2/3/4 at the minute. Maybe. I’m not complaining as such, I’m just interested in a ‘better’ system.

As is for my match, I’ve just posted my strongest defence possible and left it at that. Better than a dirty/weak protest, but as there’s not much point me doing anything major I’ll just try and nick a few banners here and there.
    Damodamo wrote: »

1s963bm8zk6r.jpeg

I’m 6.2 mil with slkr, my first round opponent this time is 6.0mil, with slkr, jml and Rey. On paper I win by pure top 80 gp, in reality I’m boned.

By weighting I mean an activated gl needs to be a separate part of the mm, perhaps division/top 80 as stage one of mm, then stage two number of gls and then match based on 1/2/3/4 at the minute. Maybe. I’m not complaining as such, I’m just interested in a ‘better’ system.

As is for my match, I’ve just posted my strongest defence possible and left it at that. Better than a dirty/weak protest, but as there’s not much point me doing anything major I’ll just try and nick a few banners here and there.

Will never happen, ever. Last week I've beaten 2 2 gl opponents to my 1.

1s963bm8zk6r.jpeg

Instead of keeping advocating for different weighting of GLs, people should be more careful about what zetas they apply and more importantly, how many characters they unnecessarily "over-relic".

If your top 80 outside of your 1 GL makes up for the GP requirements of another two, your poured way too many resources in some lower tier characters from the point of view of matchmaking and it's questionable if there would even be a wide selection pool of players with only one GL and similar GP to match you with. You should definitely not get easier matches for investing in other teams while placing GLs on the wait list.
  • @RandomSithLord im one toon away from my second gl, hence why my go is 6.1mil I’ve also been playing since early 2017, there’s a lot of now useless toons that weren’t at the time.

I haven’t asked for an easier match, I’m just commenting on a wish for a ‘better’ mm system.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    By weighting I mean an activated gl needs to be a separate part of the mm, perhaps division/top 80 as stage one of mm, then stage two number of gls and then match based on 1/2/3/4 at the minute.
    As DarjeloSalas pointed out, this is almost 300k GP worth of prerequisites for SLKR...
    1s963bm8zk6r.jpeg
    That results in one top notch squad and 8 over-geared / over-relic'd toons that you have to find uses for.

That's a pretty darn hefty weighting.