Opinions on Relic 8?

Replies

• Options
    1. We'll have to see how the materials are given out/which teams do well in the new raid before we know how it goes. GLs won't necessarily be the key since they said it won't be soloable day one. So likely there is a cap or an immunity to siphon. So SLKR may not be good at all. I would guess that jml or see may be good to encourage people to get them. Or maybe a new mando team may be good. But that's just a guess.

2. New relics will be good for those struggling with assualt battles or ls tb so that is a plus.

3. I doubt future GLs or at least the next set will require all r8 toons. Maybe 3 or 4 with the rest at a lower relic requirement.
  • Options
    @DarkHelmet1138

3. I doubt future GLs or at least the next set will require all r8 toons. Maybe 3 or 4 with the rest at a lower relic requirement.

I'm not saying that you're wrong - CG might very well do this.

But I am saying it would be wrong of CG to do this. Since GLs are supposed to be of approximately equal power levels, to require r8 toons to get a character no better than the current 4 GLs is automatically to say that no one has any business getting the new GL until they have all 4 GLs released already.

I don't think they want to send that message... but on the other hand, are they smart enough to realize the implications of requiring r8 for roughly-equal toons? I'm really not sure.
  • Options
    @DarkHelmet1138

But I am saying it would be wrong of CG to do this. Since GLs are supposed to be of approximately equal power levels, to require r8 toons to get a character no better than the current 4 GLs is automatically to say that no one has any business getting the new GL until they have all 4 GLs released already.

I don't think they want to send that message... but on the other hand, are they smart enough to realize the implications of requiring r8 for roughly-equal toons? I'm really not sure.

You're assuming the next set of GLs will be roughly equal as the current ones. That may or may not be the case. They may even have a whole new type of character by then. Or they may blatantly say the next two will be better.
  • Options
    @DarkHelmet1138

Didn't this already happen when they made 2 new gls with somewhat similar power differential but vastly different requirements?
  • Options
    You're assuming the next set of GLs will be roughly equal as the current ones.

Well, not exactly. Although I can't remember the exact quote, I was pretty sure when I wrote that that CG had said that "future" or "coming" GLs would be of approximately the same power level. Now maybe they just said, "The next 2 GLs only", but that wasn't how I remembered it.

So I may not be right, but it wasn't an assumption: it's my (admittedly imperfect) understanding of what CG actually said.
    Didn't this already happen when they made 2 new gls with somewhat similar power differential but vastly different requirements?

And people erupted on the forums over it. And nearly everyone is still saying that there's no in-game reason to get any GL other than SLKR as your first GL.

Now, JKL is so useful that going JKL => JML seems a viable pathway. The requirements are higher, but you get 1 new near-GL in addition to the actual GL, so the rewards are much higher as well: none of the other GL quests give you a near-GL along the way. Combined with the desperate need for effective squads in LS Geo TB people may go for him 2nd, but very, very few people are going to go for him before SLKR. And the requirements for Rey & SEE are not that different, but people still think Rey is the better 3rd GL.

So... yeah. This is why I say that it would be bad if CG went the route of requiring multiple r8 toons for new GLs, but also say that I could see CG doing something that's just that bad.

Assuming that taking someone to r8 requires significant sacrifice and not just a couple mats exclusive to a single raid but that drop reliably in that raid, then requiring r8 toons would be a much worse decision than giving us SEE for higher relic requirements than they used for Rey. But CG just might do it anyway.

Sad to say, but true.
  • Options

Well, not exactly. Although I can't remember the exact quote, I was pretty sure when I wrote that that CG had said that "future" or "coming" GLs would be of approximately the same power level. Now maybe they just said, "The next 2 GLs only", but that wasn't how I remembered it.

So I may not be right, but it wasn't an assumption: it's my (admittedly imperfect) understanding of what CG actually said.

And people erupted on the forums over it. And nearly everyone is still saying that there's no in-game reason to get any GL other than SLKR as your first GL.

Now, JKL is so useful that going JKL => JML seems a viable pathway. The requirements are higher, but you get 1 new near-GL in addition to the actual GL, so the rewards are much higher as well: none of the other GL quests give you a near-GL along the way. Combined with the desperate need for effective squads in LS Geo TB people may go for him 2nd, but very, very few people are going to go for him before SLKR. And the requirements for Rey & SEE are not that different, but people still think Rey is the better 3rd GL.

So... yeah. This is why I say that it would be bad if CG went the route of requiring multiple r8 toons for new GLs, but also say that I could see CG doing something that's just that bad.

Assuming that taking someone to r8 requires significant sacrifice and not just a couple mats exclusive to a single raid but that drop reliably in that raid, then requiring r8 toons would be a much worse decision than giving us SEE for higher relic requirements than they used for Rey. But CG just might do it anyway.

Sad to say, but true.

I don't think cg will push next gl needs to the level of r8 across the board.

That said, current needs for gls aren't all that symmetrical. I'm not only talking about the differences in exclusive toon needs either. Amount of things needed and the relic levels they are needed is slightly different too. I expect this trend to continue.
  • Options
    MaruMaru wrote: »

Sad to say, but true.

That said, current needs for gls aren't all that symmetrical. I'm not only talking about the differences in exclusive toon needs either. Amount of things needed and the relic levels they are needed is slightly different too. I expect this trend to continue.

It all depends on how you look at it. I took a "how many useless or not very useful toons will I need to relic" approach.

Under that approach they all have around 5 toons needed that have little use. So that is roughly equal.

And I think that is a better way to judge the cost than counting toons like vader, or jkl, or cls, or raid han, or chewie that you are basically going to relic or are looking for a reason to relic anyway as requirements.

It is important to look at the total when deciding which to go for since it can determine how long it takes but in the long run the useless toons are actually the cost.

I went see first. I already had vader reliced. Imp troopers are a great bonus team that you get out of it. Making my ep team stronger doesn't hurt either. And every other GL also has 5 or so characters that I likely wouldn't relic if they weren't required. So see was no worse than the others.
  • Options

Sad to say, but true.

It all depends on how you look at it. I took a "how many useless or not very useful toons will I need to relic" approach.

Under that approach they all have around 5 toons needed that have little use. So that is roughly equal.

And I think that is a better way to judge the cost than counting toons like vader, or jkl, or cls, or raid han, or chewie that you are basically going to relic or are looking for a reason to relic anyway as requirements.

It is important to look at the total when deciding which to go for since it can determine how long it takes but in the long run the useless toons are actually the cost.

I went see first. I already had vader reliced. Imp troopers are a great bonus team that you get out of it. Making my ep team stronger doesn't hurt either. And every other GL also has 5 or so characters that I likely wouldn't relic if they weren't required. So see was no worse than the others.

There's also the "where is my roster at?" we have to consider. Right now I have 2 gls, slkr needs look vastly different than see needs from where I am. Jml needs were even lower than see needs since I was ready for jkl anyway.

Anyway if my guess is true, we will gradually have a different picture of gls overall where cost/benefit doesn't look all that similar...just like we had with other event types. As long as cg doesn't do a dramatic raise like pushing most of the reqs to r8 in the next batch...it's the natural evolution of the game.
  • Options
    For everyone talking about new GL requirements potentially having r8's, do we not realize how much more of a choke that could be? If you can't buy these new r8 mats they talked about, you can only get them from the new Rancor tier. And we don't even know how hard, expensive, or lucrative that farming process will be. If they even require a single r8 toon for any future events, it will be incredibly disproportional to the current system simply because not everyone has access to r8 mats. Unless you're in a guild regularly completing the new Rancor tier, and the rewards come in good numbers, even veterans of the game wouldn't be able to get the next GL without buying hundreds of relic mat packs to build up r8 toons.
  • Options
    I'm just hoping that relic 8 doesn't need any materials that can only be farmed in the challenge tier rancor raid!
  • Options
    For everyone talking about new GL requirements potentially having r8's, do we not realize how much more of a choke that could be? If you can't buy these new r8 mats they talked about, you can only get them from the new Rancor tier. And we don't even know how hard, expensive, or lucrative that farming process will be. If they even require a single r8 toon for any future events, it will be incredibly disproportional to the current system simply because not everyone has access to r8 mats. Unless you're in a guild regularly completing the new Rancor tier, and the rewards come in good numbers, even veterans of the game wouldn't be able to get the next GL without buying hundreds of relic mat packs to build up r8 toons.

We pretty much know nothing about r8. I'm not necessarily saying there will be r8 needs in the next batch, just that cg will prolly keep pushing needs upwards instead of this -equal power=equal needs- sentiment.
  • Shadowmaster4
    475 posts Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Minho wrote: »
    I'm just hoping that relic 8 doesn't need any materials that can only be farmed in the challenge tier rancor raid!

I could be wrong, but I believe they said that's where we'll farm relic 8 mats. To be fair I don't think they said that's the *only* place, but at least until they see the meta of r8 and the economy of the new mats settle, they probably won't saturate us with ways to achieve r8.

Edit: They did in fact say the new Rancor stuff is where we'll farm for r8. However there is no data on how many mats we'll need, how much will be rewarded for the different placings within the raid, how expensive the raid is ticket-wise, how difficult the raid will be, whether you need to meet any requirements to do the raid as a guild like simming Heroic Pit 50 times or something, etc.
  • Options

We pretty much know nothing about r8. I'm not necessarily saying there will be r8 needs in the next batch, just that cg will prolly keep pushing needs upwards instead of this -equal power=equal needs- sentiment.

Yeah but people were saying it wouldn't be that bad (nor would it be hard to believe) if we had three or four r8 requirements for the next GL's. Which, if the Rancor tier is the only way to farm r8, leads to a slew of questions as to how anyone outside the top 1% of players will ever get anyone r8? And why does that make it okay to suggest a GL might have 3 or 4 r8 requirements with no rapid way to farm for r8?

I wasn't saying we have any shocking doomsday revelations, I was simply pointing out to the people debating it that we shouldn't just shrug at the idea of r8 requirements for stuff being okay until we know more. It could just as easily be a hellish choke point that locks out 99% of all players.
  • Options

Sad to say, but true.

There's also the "where is my roster at?" we have to consider. Right now I have 2 gls, slkr needs look vastly different than see needs from where I am. Jml needs were even lower than see needs since I was ready for jkl anyway.

Anyway if my guess is true, we will gradually have a different picture of gls overall where cost/benefit doesn't look all that similar...just like we had with other event types. As long as cg doesn't do a dramatic raise like pushing most of the reqs to r8 in the next batch...it's the natural evolution of the game.

Oh definitely. Unfortunately for comparison purposes the where's my roster at part is useless.
  • Options
    Agreed, maybe that means the prequel GLs will be higher power though and/or require more ships and less characters
  • Options
    After all episode 3 starts with ships...
  • Options

Yeah but people were saying it wouldn't be that bad (nor would it be hard to believe) if we had three or four r8 requirements for the next GL's. Which, if the Rancor tier is the only way to farm r8, leads to a slew of questions as to how anyone outside the top 1% of players will ever get anyone r8? And why does that make it okay to suggest a GL might have 3 or 4 r8 requirements with no rapid way to farm for r8?

I wasn't saying we have any shocking doomsday revelations, I was simply pointing out to the people debating it that we shouldn't just shrug at the idea of r8 requirements for stuff being okay until we know more. It could just as easily be a hellish choke point that locks out 99% of all players.

Ok then, we can get talking when we get there. 3-4 r8 needs might turn out to be reasonable under certain conditions. I'm not imagining a nightmare scenario, rather similar needs of different times/economies.
  • Options

Depends on how far out the next set of GLs are and how obtainable the r8 materials are by then. If for example, they are as obtainable as r7 mats are now, then 2 or 3 r8s rather than r7s wouldn't be that much of a leap.

I'm guessing another GL set is likely 7 or 8 months out. I doubt the materials will be exclusive to the rancor that long.
  • Options

Depends on how far out the next set of GLs are and how obtainable the r8 materials are by then. If for example, they are as obtainable as r7 mats are now, then 2 or 3 r8s rather than r7s wouldn't be that much of a leap.

I'm guessing another GL set is likely 7 or 8 months out. I doubt the materials will be exclusive to the rancor that long.

I would like to know why you think a GL release would be that far out? Just genuinely curious, since the last release timing was April to October, or 6 months, and we're already a month and a half past the last batch. If they go with a semi-regular cadence until they think they have enough, the next batch could very well be in April again, or earlier. And if the new Rancor tier hits in or right after the holidays, that's only 4 months or so where r8 could be exclusive, and given we don't know how expensive this raid may be, even the top guilds of 30k ticket production may take four days to run it once, plus however long it takes to win (lets say 1 day), and then we have to know how good/bad the rewards are. That means in a four month gap, if a great guild can run it once in five days, and a single run can get you a full r8 toon in 1st place (unlikely but who knows), then you would need to get first three times when your guild can only run it 24 times total in that window. Not undoable, but that's considering a best case scenario guild, and that it'll cost around 100k tickets, and that the rewards for 1st will add up to a full r8.

Basically, it's highly unlikely that by the next GL release that r8 will be widely farmable, nor would any guilds farming the new raid likely have done it enough and well enough to get more than 1 or 2 of the new GL's in their guild. But if you're right and it takes until well into the summer to release the next GL batch, then maybe (hopefully) r8 won't be unattainable and it'll be F2P possible to get them. I've got my fingers crossed it isn't a nightmare scenario like I've outlined.
  • Options
  • Options

I would like to know why you think a GL release would be that far out? Just genuinely curious, since the last release timing was April to October, or 6 months, and we're already a month and a half past the last batch. If they go with a semi-regular cadence until they think they have enough, the next batch could very well be in April again, or earlier. And if the new Rancor tier hits in or right after the holidays, that's only 4 months or so where r8 could be exclusive, and given we don't know how expensive this raid may be, even the top guilds of 30k ticket production may take four days to run it once, plus however long it takes to win (lets say 1 day), and then we have to know how good/bad the rewards are. That means in a four month gap, if a great guild can run it once in five days, and a single run can get you a full r8 toon in 1st place (unlikely but who knows), then you would need to get first three times when your guild can only run it 24 times total in that window. Not undoable, but that's considering a best case scenario guild, and that it'll cost around 100k tickets, and that the rewards for 1st will add up to a full r8.

Basically, it's highly unlikely that by the next GL release that r8 will be widely farmable, nor would any guilds farming the new raid likely have done it enough and well enough to get more than 1 or 2 of the new GL's in their guild. But if you're right and it takes until well into the summer to release the next GL batch, then maybe (hopefully) r8 won't be unattainable and it'll be F2P possible to get them. I've got my fingers crossed it isn't a nightmare scenario like I've outlined.

I think the first set were delayed. They were announced in December of 19 but were delayed a few months. So I was going on what was likely the original cadence. December to September is 9 mo. And we got some a month or 2 ago. So 7 to 8 more months.

But it could also be less. Hard to tell with only 2 sets out.
  • Options

I think the first set were delayed. They were announced in December of 19 but were delayed a few months. So I was going on what was likely the original cadence. December to September is 9 mo. And we got some a month or 2 ago. So 7 to 8 more months.

True, true, but I was also accounting for the fact that they had more going on now with big update plans, tons of toons released, and anniversary coming up, so these GL's going way faster than I would've thought possible kind of balanced out the original delay in my mind. Like, with all that's going on, these GL's could've been done way sooner if they were the only project at hand. In a vacuum, it may have been March to September if they hadn't been working on GC stuff and new toons and economy update planning at that time. So I kinda ignore the delay all things considered.

But you could very well be right, I just wonder about whether a seven month gap is enough that they'd make r8 widely available. Where would they even put it that wouldn't flood the economy or make the new Rancor worthless anyway?
  • Options

True, true, but I was also accounting for the fact that they had more going on now with big update plans, tons of toons released, and anniversary coming up, so these GL's going way faster than I would've thought possible kind of balanced out the original delay in my mind. Like, with all that's going on, these GL's could've been done way sooner if they were the only project at hand. In a vacuum, it may have been March to September if they hadn't been working on GC stuff and new toons and economy update planning at that time. So I kinda ignore the delay all things considered.

But you could very well be right, I just wonder about whether a seven month gap is enough that they'd make r8 widely available. Where would they even put it that wouldn't flood the economy or make the new Rancor worthless anyway?

Who knows. We really don't know enough to even speculate at this time. It could be 4 mo for the next gl it could be 8. They may require r8 or they may not.
  • Options

Who knows. We really don't know enough to even speculate at this time. It could be 4 mo for the next gl it could be 8. They may require r8 or they may not.

Yep. But if they require r8 and we don't have any accessible ways to farm that, I will have formed a very negative opinion of r8 and the new raid. Until then I'm hopeful that it'll be fun new endgame content with a new grind to engage in, but I'm also mentally preparing for the very possible nightmare scenario where 99% of all players get locked out of the next big event toon by this new relic mat farming system. And as hopeful as I may be for now, the idea of locking r9 and r10 etc behind new and "exciting" farming walls just scares me.
  • Options

Yep. But if they require r8 and we don't have any accessible ways to farm that, I will have formed a very negative opinion of r8 and the new raid. Until then I'm hopeful that it'll be fun new endgame content with a new grind to engage in, but I'm also mentally preparing for the very possible nightmare scenario where 99% of all players get locked out of the next big event toon by this new relic mat farming system. And as hopeful as I may be for now, the idea of locking r9 and r10 etc behind new and "exciting" farming walls just scares me.

I'm going to finish gearing my see (just need more stupid mk 7 kyros) and then probably hold tight and start hoarding Crystal's and gear until I know what teams are good in the new raid.
  • Options

I'm going to finish gearing my see (just need more stupid mk 7 kyros) and then probably hold tight and start hoarding Crystal's and gear until I know what teams are good in the new raid.

That seems like a pretty good idea actually. I'm scared that since it is the gateway to r8 that this raid will be tuned to r7 GL squads and guilds with 100+ GLs. I'm gonna be forever on the edge of my seat waiting for info about the raid :D
  • Options
    Everyone agrees Relic 8 is the best thing they have done to this game
  • Options
    Everyone agrees Relic 8 is the best thing they have done to this game

I would have preferred level 90.
  • Options

That seems like a pretty good idea actually. I'm scared that since it is the gateway to r8 that this raid will be tuned to r7 GL squads and guilds with 100+ GLs. I'm gonna be forever on the edge of my seat waiting for info about the raid :D

And once r8 becomes available, I'll likely r8 my see and any supporting toons needed for arena, maybe fleet toons if needed, and then sit tight and hold r8 materials for toons that may need them.

I definitely won't be applying them without a solid reason of increased rewards somewhere in the game.
  • Options
    I definitely won't be applying them without a solid reason of increased rewards somewhere in the game.
    Ayup.

Maybe as many as three to start with: JKA & GK & Fives for fleet arena. Probably at least GK to start, since I hate coin-flip-for-first-special in mirror matches & more damage against Hyena Bomber is always needed. After that? I'm not giving a single toon r8 unless I can see real, immediate benefit. Even my KAM mission toons will have to earn it. I won't do it for an incremental increase. It clearly, obviously affects mission success even without keeping data for months to prove some percentage increase in wins or it's not worth it.