Squad Arena Idea

I don't personally think arena or the shards are broken. I think the best player should stand on top of the mountain until he is removed. Players should not be able to weaken their arena squad to let others get first place when they didn't buy it nor earn it. Arena ranks should be more reflective of player growth and skill. Here are two simple recommendations which do not change the current arena environment nor take aim at the communities built at the top of the arena.

1. 24-Hour Arena Team Lock-In: Easy enough, have a separate interface where you put in "tomorrow's" team you want to run with. The team is live, so any upgrades to mods or gear will apply, you just can't change your team. Newly unlocked characters will have to wait 24 hours.

2. 10 Attempts: You get 10 attempts daily. You cannot buy more attempts. 10 gives all players enough leeway to drop a couple of attacks or defends. The spending will come from people "needing" to better their team to get a decent rank.

There are always unforeseen consequences to changing anything. But I thought this was a fair way to do arena. And I would definitely not benefit from these changes.

Replies

• 1. No thanks. Part of the fun / challenge in arena is adapting or altering your team to overcome another.

2. There is currently a limit to the number of attempts - though most will stop long before this as the Crystal cost becomes prohibitive. I don’t think the devs will ever go for a system that reduces Crystal spending.

I’m not sure what you think goes on in Arena shards chats. In the 2+ years I’ve been in mine, I’d say that it would be a single figure count of occasions where someone has asked someone else to weaken their team so they can beat them.
  • Really. Because I see the same teams that are in the 50s climb all the way to #1 everyday. And I can see the top teams switch to easier makeups.
  • Additionally, you lock in for Grand Arena every other day.
  • Really. Because I see the same teams that are in the 50s climb all the way to #1 everyday. And I can see the top teams switch to easier makeups.

There are hundreds of different arena shards. I would eat my hat if this is happening in any of them.

Define “easier”, please?
  • I've seen someone on a daily basis climb to the top 5 with SLKR. In my top 5 it is dominated by JML. But not when he is climbing. There are a couple of teams who switch to SLKR for an hour or so, so this person can finish in the top 5. Why do you have a shard chat?
  • Additionally, you lock in for Grand Arena every other day.

No, we lock in our entire roster for Grand Arena every week, such that no gear / mod changes are reflected. We can use our characters in anyway we see fit for each match.

How is that in any way comparable to sticking to the same 5 character lineup in squad arena for 24 hours?
  • Fair point on Grand Arena.
  • I've seen someone on a daily basis climb to the top 5 with SLKR. In my top 5 it is dominated by JML. But not when he is climbing. There are a couple of teams who switch to SLKR for an hour or so, so this person can finish in the top 5. Why do you have a shard chat?
    For the last 3 weeks or so I’ve been taking 1st in an arena full of JML with my SLKR. Nobody changed their team to let me do it, because I learned a reliable counter.

As for your second question, I enjoy the game and really like earning 500 crystals a day. I find it better for me and for others if I know when they get their arena payout and they know when I get mine. That’s why I’m in a shard chat.

In fact, I just checked my shard chat discord feed, and it is almost exclusively just chat between friends. Occasionally people will test a counter or an odd GAC lineup they’ve been working on, but Requests to weaken your lineup are very rare indeed.

Like I say, there are hundreds of shard chats, I can’t speak for those I’m not in - and neither can you. All the shard chats I have knowledge of would not entertain a member that relied upon people weakening their lineups to be able to climb every day.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    I don't personally think arena or the shards are broken.

Agreed. Good chat.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    "I want Rock, Rock, Rock," he said.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Reason rules the day. Just thinking of ways to shake things up. I see the same opponents day after day.

26000 posts I hope you get paid for the time spent. I assume this isn't the only forum you're in.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Reason rules the day. Just thinking of ways to shake things up. I see the same opponents day after day.

26000 posts I hope you get paid for the time spent. I assume this isn't the only forum you're in.

You assume wrong.

Not sure how this is relevant?

You assume wrong.

Not sure how this is relevant?

Which part?
  • How many posts I’ve made, how many forums I’m on, whether or not I get paid for posting?
  • How many posts I’ve made, how many forums I’m on, whether or not I get paid for posting?

Wasn't talking to you. TVF has close to 26000 posts.
  • Anyways. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

Wasn't talking to you. TVF has close to 26000 posts.
    Still not sure how it’s relevant.

You’ve made a suggestion, I (and presumably he) think it’s a bad idea.

As the thread developed it seems that your suggestion has a particular target in mind.
  • Is it always this dry in the forums? It was parting comment. I was amazed by the number of posts. I didn't mean anything by it. As I said I appreciate your feedback DarjeloSalas. Thanks Again.
  • TVF
    36575 posts Member
    Yes I think it's a bad idea, and no this isn't my first rodeo.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    TVF wrote: »
    Yes I think it's a bad idea, and no this isn't my first rodeo.

It's his second.

1 - doesnt fix the issue you are pointing to, changing mods will still weaken a team more than enough.

2 - this would actually cause things to get more stale, the top jumps/drops are a lot smaller, so this would probably lead to less movement in position at the top end and allow players to stay in better position longer.

Strategic saving and paying for refreshes is how players get into better position overall, and how they move out of "hot spots" near PO changes.
This discussion has been closed.