Mandalorian S2:E8 Chat (SPOILERS)

Replies

• KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    I think the Book of Boba will be him leading the crime syndicates of the outer rim.
  • JerrickKharr87
    934 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Nihion wrote: »
    KueChael wrote: »
    Glad to see they let Grogu go, now the Mandalorian can take a different course after 2 seasons of protecting the child. They also put many set up / spin offs in this season, so crowd pleasing was going to happen. Mando will probably aide to rescue Mandalore. Asoka series is also coming, Cara Dune may be in a new series and The book of Boba is coming.

There has to be a starting point for all these events. I thought adding Luke was classic not crowd pleasing. It tied the current struggle to protect Grogu up in a neat tidy bow.

In my opinion, those shows will also be crowd pleasing. I will state again or the first if I haven’t already, my opinion is quite unpopular. I am aware that many people are likely in a very different position with the show, and I’m okay with that.

On that note, I agree, I think this was the time to make the decision of keeping Grogu or not. The show can now be about Mando continuing to learn about his people. I’m guessing that Grogu leaving is going to lose a lot of casual watchers though.

Crowd pleasing keeps shows around longer.
  • Looks like Grogu is going to be killed by Kylo Ren.. Hopefully Grogu escapes Order 66.2
  • The whole CGI face thing kinda bombed

• On the Sabine —> Bo-Katan Darksaber transfer, at some point after Bo-Katan tried to unite Mandalore, they got thoroughly routed by Gideon and broken as a people. It’s possible the bulk of the Mandalorians didn’t recognize Bo-Katan’s claim (or even Sabine’s) to the Darksaber.

...Of course, that’s not the interpretation we got in Rebels, but that’s retconnable.

(It could also be that the Darksaber was publicly known by Mandalorians to be in Gideon’s possession, and therefore would need to be “won”, as opposed to lost where it would simply need to be “found”.)
  • Though I’m confused as to why Bo Katan could accept the dark saber from Sabine but not from Mando.

Sabine did not get the Saber by beating Maul. So it was not the true holder of the blade.
  • ShaggyB wrote: »

There definitely needs to be an explanation. At this point
    Maul was defeated by Obi Wan, Obi Wan by Vader and Vader by Luke? So Luke would be the rightful ruler of Mandalor? Hopefully in season 3

Plus I thought Bo Katan was killed by Gideon at the end, until I saw her standing after Luke left.

While that may be true, who has it when maul is defeated? Aka does obi wan ever take possession of it?

Vader?

Luke?

Who knows about those fights and wins?

Because moff is right its the story that holds the power and if you live the lie long enough and noone knows the truth.... what is reality?
    Didn’t sidious defeat maul first? So since sidious has it, and he was kind of killed in the Death Star 2, lando should have it, cause he destroyed the second Death Star.
  • ... it’s not the Elder Wand.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    TargetEadu wrote: »
    ... it’s not the Elder Wand.

Apparently it is now.
  • Nihion wrote: »
    To me, this was a sign that Disney no longer intends to make good Star Wars; only crowd pleasing Star Wars.

It’s an unpopular opinion, I know, but I was disappointed with season 1 of the Mandalorian. It was a show that sacrificed plot for action, and character development was limited even in the long drawn out sequences of the show. But at least it was a show about the Mandalorian.

This new season was worse. Favreau and Filoni seemed to drop any goal they had of making something powerful: Most of the show is plot or action, and even the plot is just explained away. I loved seeing Boba, and Ashoka, and Hamill, but this show needs to become its own thing. This was their first chance to show that Star Wars can be amazing without the Skywalker Saga, and it failed with this last episode. My favorite episode was the only episode not written my Favreau and Filoni because it had actual character development, and rich dialogue.

I know that everyone here is about to tell me how wrong I am, but you just can’t deny that this show is beginning to show cracks. It hurt me to watch this finale.

In all fairness, the line between good and crowd pleasing has become blurred lately. I’m no expert on film, but maybe a crowd pleasing approach is considered good TV now, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I still can’t shake that feeling that this show is being run by a section of people full of toxicity and nostalgia that aren’t willing to let their childhood or Legends go. I understand that position. But I don’t think that’s how we should run Star Wars.

What are you talking about? Making a good show is “crowd pleasing” so you’ll have to be more precise.
    What is “toxic”? The use of well created material that people love?
    The majority of the season had mando and grogu growing together and mando learning to be a “dad”/friend.
    You wanted to break off of the Skywalker Saga but there’s literally no other Jedi out there right now that mando could take grogu to. So, help me understand, the only way it could’ve been good in your eyes is either mando fails one his mission or they just create a random Jedi that we’ve never met that also somehow doesn’t exist in TFA era?

And what do you mean the plot is just “explained away”? Have you ever watched Star Wars before? That is precisely what “the force” is. It’s a plot convenience device to serve the adventure:
    “How is Luke going to destroy this giant space station when more skilled pilots couldn’t? Magic!”
    “How is Luke going to get off of cloud city after losing to Vader? Magic.”
    “How did Maz Kanata (not even going to pretend that’s spelled right) get Luke’s lightsaber? Magic.”
    “How did Rey beat Kylo? Magic.”
    “How did Palpatine survive a giant space explosion in order to come back and serve as a final villain for us when Rian Johnson embarrassingly killed off the first villain JJ set up? Magic.”
  • KueChael wrote: »
    I think the Book of Boba will be him leading the crime syndicates of the outer rim.

I'm not sure how that will work exactly. While that might be the general premise, I think Boba might take a bit more "anti-Empire" lean. It would seem and odd move for Disney to create a show where the protagonist is a "bad guy". He's always been kind of "hired gun", "lone wolf" character. I'm not sure if he fancies himself leading a group of...anything really. I'm interested, to be sure. Curious what they plan to do with him.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Wadthebad wrote: »
    The whole CGI face thing kinda bombed

Really? I was shocked on how good it looked.
  • Xcrit9
    108 posts Member
    edited December 2020
    Can we change beskar mando's basic to the dark saber
  • He didn’t actually use it and doesn’t even want it. He should use the spear.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • I think I am the only one on the planet who was disappointed that Luke was the Jedi who came.
  • Sebek wrote: »
    I think I am the only one on the planet who was disappointed that Luke was the Jedi who came.

Who other then?

This. Based on the time the show is set, it's not like there are dozens of Jedi to choose from. I realize my avatar betrays my preference, but I was absolutely delighted to "see Luke again." When the X-Wing appeared, I got goose bumps and yelled to the room (i.e. my wife and son) - "There's only one Jedi I know that definitely flies and X-Wing!! And I actually let out a yell when R2 appeared as well.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Could we replace sad old Luke (JML) with the kicka** Luke we saw yesterday? What fans really wanted Luke to be after Return of the Jedi?
  • Could we replace sad old Luke (JML) with the kicka** Luke we saw yesterday? What fans really wanted Luke to be after Return of the Jedi?

I think a huge part of the anger at the Last Jedi was not that we got a disillusioned old Luke, but that we never got Luke in his prime. It was another example of the sequels' "tell me, don't show me" approach to story-telling. I mean, Ahsoka is a disillusioned former Jedi, but we got to *see* it happen to her, not just be told about it.

One thing I loved about the appearance was that Luke's fighting style was very similar to his father's (there are videos comparing last night's scene to the Hallways scene or the massacre at Mustafa). Very similar to what they did with Ahsoka earlier in the season. That attention to detail is nice.

I liked this season a lot. And I think it illustrated the difference between good fan service and bad fan service. Good fan service is seeing stuff that reminds us that this takes place in a universe we know and are familiar with while still telling a new and original story. Bad fan service shoves things in our faces to say, "Hey, you like Greedo, right?! Here's Greedo!"
  • That was fun. Always nice to see Sasha Banks.

I'm pretty sure Book of Boba means this is the end of Pedro Pascal's story. But that's okay. His arc is complete. I'm sure he'll show up in some episodes of season 3, but he's no longer going to be the main character. After all, where else do you go with him?

That said, I'd be fine with Book of Boba being either a spin-off or season 3. I trust Filoni and Favreau to make either one work. But, to me, it feels like this is a good point to transition to telling a new story rather than having to keep adding extensions onto the original story.
    Could we replace sad old Luke (JML) with the kicka** Luke we saw yesterday? What fans really wanted Luke to be after Return of the Jedi?

.......This takes place just a few years after Return of the Jedi. Jedi Master Luke is like 30 years after even this. You think he's going to be a spry young jedi his whole life? I've got news for both you and your knees and ankles if that's the case....
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    That was fun. Always nice to see Sasha Banks.

I'm pretty sure Book of Boba means this is the end of Pedro Pascal's story. But that's okay. His arc is complete. I'm sure he'll show up in some episodes of season 3, but he's no longer going to be the main character. After all, where else do you go with him?

That said, I'd be fine with Book of Boba being either a spin-off or season 3. I trust Filoni and Favreau to make either one work. But, to me, it feels like this is a good point to transition to telling a new story rather than having to keep adding extensions onto the original story.
    Could we replace sad old Luke (JML) with the kicka** Luke we saw yesterday? What fans really wanted Luke to be after Return of the Jedi?

.......This takes place just a few years after Return of the Jedi. Jedi Master Luke is like 30 years after even this. You think he's going to be a spry young jedi his whole life? I've got news for both you and your knees and ankles if that's the case....

Yes I realize that. But no one asked for the Luke we saw in TLJ. We wanted to see Luke be a powerful Jedi like we saw on this last episode. I just want this awesome Luke in the game. JKL doesn’t do him justice.
  • Xcrit9 wrote: »
    Can we change beskar mando's basic to the dark saber
    He didn’t actually use it and doesn’t even want it. He should use the spear.

MBA is based on s1 only
    My discord - BabyYoda#4470 My swgoh.gg - https://swgoh.gg/p/648565123/

Yes I realize that. But no one asked for the Luke we saw in TLJ. We wanted to see Luke be a powerful Jedi like we saw on this last episode. I just want this awesome Luke in the game. JKL doesn’t do him justice.

JKL can complete tier 7 of this GC with several different Jedi squads. Easily. He's excellent as is.

• So was Bib Fortuna not on Jabba’s barge when it blew up in RotJ?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Just remember, if you hated the fighting in Episode 7-9 you cant like the fighting between Mando and Moff. ;)

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not, I assume so, but I really liked that duel. It was fun, the beskar almost melting was epic, and the idea that Gideon had some kind of plan was nice. Not really sure why we needed that moment before the duel though where he’s like “You can have the Child.”

I’m not. People said the fighting was too heavy handed and not like Episode 1-3 with all the jumping, dancing and flash. Now we get a similar fight in this show and people love it. Hypocritical of those people.
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?

I did. I love Last Jedi.

Stop being such a hater. Your life will be much more enjoyable when you break free of the solipsism of "I did not like this therefore it is bad."
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Beskar mando should have a spear basic
  • One other thing I liked about the episode: the slow reveal of Luke. We see an X-wing. Then we see a hooded figure in black and white. Then we see the green saber. Then we see the hand. Then finally the full reveal. It was like, "Who is that? Oh, wait is it ... no, it can't be ... YES IT IS!"
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Eweff wrote: »
    To me, this was a sign that Disney no longer intends to make good Star Wars; only crowd pleasing Star Wars.

It’s an unpopular opinion, I know, but I was disappointed with season 1 of the Mandalorian. It was a show that sacrificed plot for action, and character development was limited even in the long drawn out sequences of the show. But at least it was a show about the Mandalorian.

This new season was worse. Favreau and Filoni seemed to drop any goal they had of making something powerful: Most of the show is plot or action, and even the plot is just explained away. I loved seeing Boba, and Ashoka, and Hamill, but this show needs to become its own thing. This was their first chance to show that Star Wars can be amazing without the Skywalker Saga, and it failed with this last episode. My favorite episode was the only episode not written my Favreau and Filoni because it had actual character development, and rich dialogue.

I know that everyone here is about to tell me how wrong I am, but you just can’t deny that this show is beginning to show cracks. It hurt me to watch this finale.

In all fairness, the line between good and crowd pleasing has become blurred lately. I’m no expert on film, but maybe a crowd pleasing approach is considered good TV now, and maybe that’s not a bad thing. But I still can’t shake that feeling that this show is being run by a section of people full of toxicity and nostalgia that aren’t willing to let their childhood or Legends go. I understand that position. But I don’t think that’s how we should run Star Wars.

What are you talking about? Making a good show is “crowd pleasing” so you’ll have to be more precise.
    The majority of the season had mando and grogu growing together and mando learning to be a “dad”/friend.
    You wanted to break off of the Skywalker Saga but there’s literally no other Jedi out there right now that mando could take grogu to. So, help me understand, the only way it could’ve been good in your eyes is either mando fails one his mission or they just create a random Jedi that we’ve never met that also somehow doesn’t exist in TFA era?

And what do you mean the plot is just “explained away”? Have you ever watched Star Wars before? That is precisely what “the force” is. It’s a plot convenience device to serve the adventure:
    “How is Luke going to destroy this giant space station when more skilled pilots couldn’t? Magic!”
    “How did Maz Kanata (not even going to pretend that’s spelled right) get Luke’s lightsaber? Magic.”
    “How did Palpatine survive a giant space explosion in order to come back and serve as a final villain for us when Rian Johnson embarrassingly killed off the first villain JJ set up? Magic.”

Most episodes of season 2 are explained by one character at the beginning, and then action happens. I think you’re unfamiliar with the many Jedi created recently, and yes, they could create a new Jedi. I would’ve found it good if there was real character development. They spend most of season 2 attempting to develop the bond between Mando and Grogu, but we never really get very far, and now he’s gone.

My problem is that they are clearly using cheap devices in order to win the audience over: Character cameos, Grogu cuteness, and cool action. My problem with season 1 is the same as season 2: Strip that all away, and the show is just a boring repetitive story with a guy in a suit. He hasn’t learned much yet, and the galaxy isn’t very well defined.

This is just the way I see the show. My artistic experience is telling me that this is not good for the Star Wars universe. But I could be wrong. I’m just saying it’s not as good as it’s made out to be, but it’s okay if everyone else loves it.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »

JKL can complete tier 7 of this GC with several different Jedi squads. Easily. He's excellent as is.

I am excited to unlock him this time around. Just wish he was a GL. Same with Vader. The two most iconic characters in SW.
    Eweff wrote: »

Most episodes of season 2 are explained by one character at the beginning, and then action happens. I think you’re unfamiliar with the many Jedi created recently, and yes, they could create a new Jedi. I would’ve found it good if there was real character development. They spend most of season 2 attempting to develop the bond between Mando and Grogu, but we never really get very far, and now he’s gone.

My problem is that they are clearly using cheap devices in order to win the audience over: Character cameos, Grogu cuteness, and cool action. My problem with season 1 is the same as season 2: Strip that all away, and the show is just a boring repetitive story with a guy in a suit. He hasn’t learned much yet, and the galaxy isn’t very well defined.

This is just the way I see the show. My artistic experience is telling me that this is not good for the Star Wars universe. But I could be wrong. I’m just saying it’s not as good as it’s made out to be, but it’s okay if everyone else loves it.

Oh!? Which or the star wars books did you write that sold real well?