Why David Filoni should be President of LucasFilm

This came from a response I was going to put in the comments of another thread (hence why someone is being quoted), but I felt it was too long and decided to make it a thread of its own.

Yea let's make Dave Filoni the President of Lucasfilm! A position where he'd have to spend most of his time on the business aspects of things and be less involved in the everyday decisions behind the shows' stories...

The President of LucasFilm did a lot more than make the business decisions, at least before Disney got involved. When George Lucas was the President of LucasFilm, he made the creative decisions as well. However, since Disney bought Star Wars for $4 billion dollars, they needed to maximize the return on their investment, which is why the leadership role became more about maximizing profit.

I personally think that this is the issue. We need someone who has a lot of creative ideas for Star Wars, and Dave Filoni is more than qualified for the role because he has these ideas. If he were the President of LucasFilm, he could shape the direction that Star Wars moves in as a whole, rather than just individuals shows.

Filoni was a director, writer, and executive producer of the Mandalorian tv show. Kathleen Kennedy was only an executive producer. This show single-handidly revived Star Wars. Filoni was also a director, writer, and executive producer of the Clone Wars tv show. Kathleen Kennedy was in none of those roles for this tv show. This was one of the greatest Star Wars tv shows of all time, and each episode used their 30 minutes to explore something new each time. We also got great fight scenes and great new characters.

Yes, Kathleen Kennedy produced movies such as E.T. and the Back to the Future franchise. However, that was a long time ago. The reason why I say "a long time ago" is because "a long time ago" George Lucas gave us the original three movies, however more recently he also decided to give us the first and second movies.
Weird how people love to hate on Kathleen Kennedy for the sequels while ignoring the fact that she's a producer of every live action Star Wars media since the Disney acquisition...which includes The Mandalorian...

The reason why a lot of people don't want her to be the President of LucasFilm is because ever since Disney got involved in Star Wars, things went very far downhill:

- First, we got The Force Awakens, which was a great movie, it's just that it was an almost exact copy of the 4th movie. It heavily relied on nostalgia, and did not try anything new.

- Then we got The Last Jedi, which was in my opinion the worst Star Wars film to date. The plot was all over the place, several of the characters (all of whom we were supposed to root for) were very unlikable for many, Luke's character was ruined, etc etc.

- Then we got Solo: A Star Wars Story, which was absolutely awful. We didn't need to know about how Han and Chewy met. It wasn't important, and knowing to much can take away from a character. For instance, they ruined Lando's character, specifically with the dialogue about how he has a very... loving relationship with his droid.

- Then we got The Rise of Skywalker, which tried to fix the damage the Last Jedi did to Star Wars media, however it failed and only created more plotholes and problems than it fixed. They also brought back Palpatine, however they did not understand his character and made him more of a Marvel villain than the clever and manipulative sith lord that he was in the prequels and originals.

The only good things, in my opinion, that have come from LucasFilm since Disney took over are Rogue One, The Force Awakens (although it was very unoriginal), and The Mandalorian. I know I keep referencing Disney instead of Kathleen Kennedy, however given that she directly represents Star Wars on Disney's behalf since she is the President of LucasFilm, she is just as liable.

Replies

  • TVF
    26705 posts Member
    Nope
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Nihion
    3095 posts Member
    You seem to like to use this forum to preach A LOT. I would suggest limiting yourself to one new thread a day.
  • I agree. I'd be okay with either Filoni or Favreau (or both) being handed full control over Star Wars. They both "understand" the Star Wars universe in a way that some of the others (Johnson, Kennedy, etc.) simply do not.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nihion wrote: »
    You seem to like to use this forum to preach A LOT. I would suggest limiting yourself to one new thread a day.
    Nihion wrote: »
    You seem to like to use this forum to preach A LOT. I would suggest limiting yourself to one new thread a day.

    Lol

    Although to be fair this is the only new one the others are just getting bumped by other peoples comments
  • LordDirt
    1901 posts Member
    So the secret to advancing Star Wars is to just use the same characters, planets and locations over and over again? That is sad 😞
  • Nikoms565
    13471 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    So the secret to advancing Star Wars is to just use the same characters, planets and locations over and over again? That is sad 😞

    So is that straw man you're beating up over there. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • LordDirt
    1901 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    LordDirt wrote: »
    So the secret to advancing Star Wars is to just use the same characters, planets and locations over and over again? That is sad 😞

    So is that straw man you're beating up over there. ;)

    At least you didn’t deny you just want the same thing over and over again. B)
  • Agreed. You can hear the passion and love for Star Wars whenever Filoni talks. He's essentially a younger version of George Lucas, and the fact he regularly communicates with George on ideas and advice makes it all the better.
    Rogue One was phenomenal, and I can give Kennedy some credit for that, but on the reverse, she's also 100% to blame for the disaster that was the sequel trilogy. Who else was supposed to plan out the narrative over three films, instead of letting the directors do whatever they wanted?
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Nihion
    3095 posts Member
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Agreed. You can hear the passion and love for Star Wars whenever Filoni talks. He's essentially a younger version of George Lucas, and the fact he regularly communicates with George on ideas and advice makes it all the better.
    Rogue One was phenomenal, and I can give Kennedy some credit for that, but on the reverse, she's also 100% to blame for the disaster that was the sequel trilogy. Who else was supposed to plan out the narrative over three films, instead of letting the directors do whatever they wanted?

    This is a good approach to this issue. I think you’ve located something that doesn’t necessarily make Kathleen Kennedy bad at running Star Wars, but it has resulted in issues: She hands projects over to a multitude of directors, writers, and other aspiring Star Wars makers, which is great for those people, but takes away from the cohesiveness and storytelling of the universe. This means that a stand-alone film like Rogue One or Solo can be fantastic, but a trilogy like the sequels will fall apart.

    I don’t think Filoni should be given full control of Star Wars, but I think that they should use him like Feige for a similar approach as the MCU. If Kennedy hired him to be in control of the storytelling for a massive story spanning an era (Like the Skywalker Saga of the High Republic), then they could still bring in different directors to lead specific movies or characters.

    This post was developed while I was still thinking it out, so it’s probably jumbled, and I apologize for that.
Sign In or Register to comment.