Fair enough @Kyno
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Nihion wrote: »
    Shuster123 wrote: »
    yeah but the he's is a clone and not a mandalorian by birth

Jango was a foundling, he wasn’t Mandalorian by birth. But Boba is his son, clone or not. So if Boba doesn’t count, neither would Mando’s kid if he ever had one.

By this logic, all the clones should get mando tags then.

No, they werent trained as mandolorians.

They were trained as soldiers and were altered to be compliant to orders (not to mention chipped for order 66).

So ill give you geneticly they are equal to jango... they are not jango nor were they raised by jango in the way boba was
    Post edited by ShaggyB on
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Kyno wrote: »

Jango was a foundling who presumably followed learned the creed, and followed that when he was a part of it as part of his belief or "who he was" at least at some point. Boba did not, or maybe I'm wrong on that, but his commitment seemed to be to himself and his life in the underworld he was a part of.

My point about the engineering is that learning the knowledge vs showing commitment to the path are different things.

Bad analogy on a few levels.

Engineering is a skill. Its akin to a mandolorian armor learning how to smelt beskar.

That doesnt make them mandolorian.... it does make them an armorer in feudal system though. But lets not go there.

As to Boba's childhood. Hes taught a bunch of stuff by Jango but it stops when Mace Windu shows what a keeper of peace for the republic looks like....

What Boba would have been or could have been, we will never know. But clearly Jango was one and then became a bounty hunter.... he didnt seem concerned with mandolor or any code. The version of Jango in game is well after he leaves mandolor and is eatablished as a top Bounty Hunter

So why he gets one and Boba doesnt.... thats a bit odd.

Lets go one further. Sabine isnt much of a mandolorian until the end of Rebels but she gets it?
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • khdelboy
    754 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Should I share my theory?

I’ll share my theory: To me, everything about Boba in the Mandalorian pointed toward him betraying Mando. I thought he was going to pull some epic stuff in Episode 8 that would complicate the plot, like being with Moff Gideon, and that Windu would be the Jedi so that he and Boba could have a rematch. I thought I saw that narrative choice coming from a mile away, but when it didn’t happen, I was genuinely surprised and confused. Moral of the story, I thought that Boba was definitely not a Mandalorian after that, but if Jango counts, I don’t see why Boba shouldn’t. He seems to hold just as much honor as his father.

On that last point, if you are not from the planet, to be a Mandalorian you need to be following the creed.

Him showing that the armor was his fathers got him the armor.

But without following the creed I dont see how honor would make him a Mandalorian.

I can teach my son everything I learned when becoming an engineer, it doesnt make him an engineer.

I know he did cross paths and get taught the ways when he was younger, but that seemed to be him learning skills to survive in the underworld, not due to any commitment to the people/culture/creed, or even his father, which is what IMHO would be needed to be considered for the Mandalorian title.

So I can see why he didnt get the tag in game, but there is and can be a long debate on this topic, since there is a lot to unpack in his history.

Oh oh oh, this brings up an old debate I had somewhere on the forums about Jedi.
    So, by your logic Kyno, do you think that Luke is a Jedi before his restarts the Order. By the time Luke comes around, the Jedi order is gone, so the way to become a Jedi is gone. Just because Yoda teaches him some stuff, that doesn’t mean he’s a Jedi, just as your son wouldn’t be an engineer.

But anyway, back in topic. I agree with your assessment of Boba...and by the looks of The Book of Boba Fett, he won’t be acting in the mando way anytime soon...but who knows.

Luke's Jedi trial was confronting Darth Vader. He completed his training, as basic as it was.

No no good sir. There were steps to becoming a Jedi...and those steps went away with the fall of the Jedi Order. Did Luke find his Kyber crystal? Nope. Did Luke pass the Jedi initiate Trials? Nope. Did Luke know any of the Jedi code? Nope. As Kyno stated above, just because he teaches his son all the ways of an engineer, that does not make his son an engineer.

I believe that Luke became a Jedi after he gathered the Jedi texts learned from them and restarted the Jedi Order.

Where did he get the green kyber crystal?

He did build his own lightsaber at some point before he went to Jabba’s palace. That was part of the training.

And Yoda did say that Luke will become a Jedi after confronting his daddy.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited January 2021
    ShaggyB wrote: »

Jango was a foundling who presumably followed learned the creed, and followed that when he was a part of it as part of his belief or "who he was" at least at some point. Boba did not, or maybe I'm wrong on that, but his commitment seemed to be to himself and his life in the underworld he was a part of.

My point about the engineering is that learning the knowledge vs showing commitment to the path are different things.

Bad analogy on a few levels.

Engineering is a skill. Its akin to a mandolorian armor learning how to smelt beskar.

That doesnt make them mandolorian.... it does make them an armorer in feudal system though. But lets not go there.

As to Boba's childhood. Hes taught a bunch of stuff by Jango but it stops when Mace Windu shows what a keeper of peace for the republic looks like....

What Boba would have been or could have been, we will never know. But clearly Jango was one and then became a bounty hunter.... he didnt seem concerned with mandolor or any code. The version of Jango in game is well after he leaves mandolor and is eatablished as a top Bounty Hunter

So why he gets one and Boba doesnt.... thats a bit odd.

Lets go one further. Sabine isnt much of a mandolorian until the end of Rebels but she gets it?

The engineering analogy is about learning the material vs committing to the path of going to school and graduating with a degree. The difference of knowing/learning stuff vs following a path that leads to an outcome.

I am not saying Jango followed anything at the point we see him in the movies, I dont know his full story, except he was raised as a foundling. Boba was not raised as a foundling, that I am aware.

Boba's involvement with the Mandalorians in his life, seemed to be about learning skills, not following anything in particular. So it seems to make sense that he not have that title or tag in the game.

Not really odd, there are reasons, even outside of what I am saying, that seem like a perfectly fine justification for him not having it.

I know nothing about Sabines back story, so IDK.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • I still disagree.

Living the life isnt simply enough either.

Did all of mandolore stop being mandolorians when they became peaceful and stopped doing the old ways?

What of foundlings that suddenly just became citizens in the city instead of soldiers?

Its more than just living the life too.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I still disagree.

Did all of mandolore stop being mandolorians when they became peaceful and stopped doing the old ways?

What of foundlings that suddenly just became citizens in the city instead of soldiers?

To deathwatch, yes they kind of did.

It depends when that became part of the creed, but foundlings didnt live on mandalore, but if they were raised a Mandalorian, then I could see them still adopting the title of a Mandalorian even if they stopped being a "soldier", because it's more than just being a soldier.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    I still disagree.

To deathwatch, yes they kind of did.

It depends when that became part of the creed, but foundlings didnt live on mandalore, but if they were raised a Mandalorian, then I could see them still adopting the title of a Mandalorian even if they stopped being a "soldier", because it's more than just being a soldier.

<Puts on star wars lore nerd hat>

Jango predates deathwatch's creation.

Jango officially fought in the Mandolorian civil war as a commando. Boba doesnt say what side... but we know the outcome of that conflict was that the peace loving mandos won and mandolore became peaceful and no longer a combat based society.

Going back a step: Qui-gon and his padwan, Obi-wan, went to Mandolore to protect Satine during that original civil war conflict. So we know Jango left shortly after or during that and before episode 1 movie material.

As to Deathwatch, it was a group that formed from the exiles/losers of said civil war who would later regain control with the help of Maul and his brother... only to lose it to Maul. (This included Bo-katan herself)

Noone in what would be Deathwatch felt that they werent Mandolorians and noone on Mandolore recognized them as more than exiles.

Now lets look at Foundlings.

By Mandolorian creed, any Mandalorian warrior who found a child was dutybound to either reunite them with their kind or raise them until they were of age, acting as the child's parent.

When the foundling came of age, if he/she had not yet been reunited with its kind, they could decide to leave or join the Mandalorians. Mandalorians who had been foundlings were treated no differently than any other Mandalorians, possessing the right to bear their armor and even to form their own clans. (If the child and mando were a clan of two... then jango and boba could be as well)

As a side note, before the empire wiped out the Mandolorians, foundlings could and did live on Mandolore.

So how does it all work:
    It seems you are either born of mandolorians and automatcially become one or... you are found by one and raised by them as if you are their child. You then get to choose when you get older.

Now certain groups may require you live "the way", but agin thats extremist type groups.

All that said.

Boba has every right to be a Mandolorian and is only denied it for 2 reasons.... 1) Bo-Katan does not care for clones (Clone-ist?) And basically feels his father raising him doesnt count
    2) His father figure was killed before he could decide his own fate at the right age.

Technically speaking Boba would always have the right to lay claim to the title Mandolorian as he was being raised by a Mandolorian and he would then deserve to be given the right to choose when he came of age.

He says hes never claimed to be... not that he is not or does not want to be.

And quite clearly Bo-Katan is scared of his skills. He has a code he is following, hence the helping Mando and the Child.... but he has hidden goals that are unclear.
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member

How is Sabine not much of a mandalorian ??. She grew up in one of the main clans on mandalore, it’s always stated she is mandalorian. Just because she wasn’t on the planet for most of rebels because she left the imperial academy doesn’t make her any less mandalorian. If Boba doesn’t see himself as mandalorian I can see why they’ve decided not to include him in the list but you’re way off the mark with Sabine
  • Except Boba openly admitted to being a mandalorian to Din to show the armour was his by right. To which Din accepted openly and recognized his rights to the armour. The armour that he had literally just taken from a man because he wasn't a mandalorian. But apparently to CG a flippant throwaway retort to Bo Katan for a snarky comment has greater authority than a scene played absolutely seriously and with evidence.

• Gouj4
    416 posts Member
    Dagonsith wrote: »
    Except Boba openly admitted to being a mandalorian to Din to show the armour was his by right. To which Din accepted openly and recognized his rights to the armour. The armour that he had literally just taken from a man because he wasn't a mandalorian. But apparently to CG a flippant throwaway retort to Bo Katan for a snarky comment has greater authority than a scene played absolutely seriously and with evidence.

Except he doesn’t openly admit to being a mandalorian. When asked he says the simple man making his way through the galaxy line. When asked if he’d taken the creed he says he gives his allegiance to no one. The only thing he shows is that his father was a foundling and the armour was his fathers. This opens the debate of can he be mandalorian by birthright when he is a clone, and does he consider himself to be mandalorian. I don’t think he does consider himself to be which is why he said what he said to Bo Katan and I’m assuming why they’ve opted to not give him the tag. We don’t get a definite yes or no answer for boba
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited January 2021

I’ll share my theory: To me, everything about Boba in the Mandalorian pointed toward him betraying Mando. I thought he was going to pull some epic stuff in Episode 8 that would complicate the plot, like being with Moff Gideon, and that Windu would be the Jedi so that he and Boba could have a rematch. I thought I saw that narrative choice coming from a mile away, but when it didn’t happen, I was genuinely surprised and confused. Moral of the story, I thought that Boba was definitely not a Mandalorian after that, but if Jango counts, I don’t see why Boba shouldn’t. He seems to hold just as much honor as his father.

On that last point, if you are not from the planet, to be a Mandalorian you need to be following the creed.

But without following the creed I dont see how honor would make him a Mandalorian.

I can teach my son everything I learned when becoming an engineer, it doesnt make him an engineer.

I know he did cross paths and get taught the ways when he was younger, but that seemed to be him learning skills to survive in the underworld, not due to any commitment to the people/culture/creed, or even his father, which is what IMHO would be needed to be considered for the Mandalorian title.

So I can see why he didnt get the tag in game, but there is and can be a long debate on this topic, since there is a lot to unpack in his history.

Oh oh oh, this brings up an old debate I had somewhere on the forums about Jedi.
    So, by your logic Kyno, do you think that Luke is a Jedi before his restarts the Order. By the time Luke comes around, the Jedi order is gone, so the way to become a Jedi is gone. Just because Yoda teaches him some stuff, that doesn’t mean he’s a Jedi, just as your son wouldn’t be an engineer.

But anyway, back in topic. I agree with your assessment of Boba...and by the looks of The Book of Boba Fett, he won’t be acting in the mando way anytime soon...but who knows.

Luke's Jedi trial was confronting Darth Vader. He completed his training, as basic as it was.

No no good sir. There were steps to becoming a Jedi...and those steps went away with the fall of the Jedi Order. Did Luke find his Kyber crystal? Nope. Did Luke pass the Jedi initiate Trials? Nope. Did Luke know any of the Jedi code? Nope. As Kyno stated above, just because he teaches his son all the ways of an engineer, that does not make his son an engineer.

I believe that Luke became a Jedi after he gathered the Jedi texts learned from them and restarted the Jedi Order.

Luke’s trial was facing Darth Vader
    Luke created his light saber after going through Old Bens place.
    Luke read many texts in Bens place and found the Jedi Texts

So who was the Jedi in RotJ? He even declares it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ayT0EZwbks
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt
    4941 posts Member
    edited January 2021

“No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will.”
    Yoda

Luke did create a lightsaber in Old Bens hut. That is why it is green in RotJ. Btw, he was the Jedi in the movie ;)
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Gouj4 wrote: »

How is Sabine not much of a mandalorian ??. She grew up in one of the main clans on mandalore, it’s always stated she is mandalorian. Just because she wasn’t on the planet for most of rebels because she left the imperial academy doesn’t make her any less mandalorian. If Boba doesn’t see himself as mandalorian I can see why they’ve decided not to include him in the list but you’re way off the mark with Sabine

Because she too was an outcast. Thats why the darksaber storyline was so important for her.

If you recall her back story, prior to becoming a rebel, Sabine was a cadet at the Imperial Academy of Mandalore. She built weapons she believed would be used for peace but were instead used against her family and her people. Wracked with guilt, Sabine left Mandalore and was branded a traitor by the Empire and her mother, Ursa Wren, leader of the clan.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    wait a minute. If you're an engineer and teach your kid everything you learned and know, how is he not an engineer? That's how jobs worked for thousands of years (and sometimes still do).

(I'm not saying boba is a mandalorian, I don't think he technically and/or really is, I'm just sayin. Besides, Boba was like 8 when jango got got, how much could he have learned anyway?)
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gouj4
    416 posts Member

Because she too was an outcast. Thats why the darksaber storyline was so important for her.

If you recall her back story, prior to becoming a rebel, Sabine was a cadet at the Imperial Academy of Mandalore. She built weapons she believed would be used for peace but were instead used against her family and her people. Wracked with guilt, Sabine left Mandalore and was branded a traitor by the Empire and her mother, Ursa Wren, leader of the clan.

I do recall her backstory, she was born on mandalore and so is and forever will be mandalorian. Whether she gets branded a traitor or not for a short period of time it doesn’t make her any less mandalorian because she is from the planet. Also it’s not like her mother had a choice to brand her a traitor since mandalore was under imperial rule by this point but it’s beside the point because traitor or not she can’t not be mandalorian
  • I know there are many things about django and boba. But just one thing people reading star wars books cant ignore: in 4000 by, at the times of old republic (times of revan malak traya nihilus etc...) mandalore was a threat to the siths and to the jedis. They were a great powerful nation at this age. And the leader of this nation was cassus fett. I can't imagine the authors of the old republic calling him fett without thinking about bobba and his father. They are mandalorian, and from the most prestigious dynasty
    But being mandalorian is in your head you are if you accept the code you are one of them. They rejected the code.
  • LordDirt wrote: »

“No. Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then, only then, a Jedi will you be. And confront him you will.”
    Yoda

Luke did create a lightsaber in Old Bens hut. That is why it is green in RotJ. Btw, he was the Jedi in the movie ;)

Maybe the Jedi referred to in the title was Anakin. ;)
  • RTS
    682 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    wait a minute. If you're an engineer and teach your kid everything you learned and know, how is he not an engineer? That's how jobs worked for thousands of years (and sometimes still do).

Because the real world is different than fiction. Nobody has ever "been" a job that requires a high level degree just because they learned it from their parent(s).

You're not a doctor just because your parent was and taught you what they know - it's not how it works.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

I do recall her backstory, she was born on mandalore and so is and forever will be mandalorian. Whether she gets branded a traitor or not for a short period of time it doesn’t make her any less mandalorian because she is from the planet. Also it’s not like her mother had a choice to brand her a traitor since mandalore was under imperial rule by this point but it’s beside the point because traitor or not she can’t not be mandalorian

If your country exiles you... you are no longer a citizen. Example if i was american and the president kicked me out... im no longer american.

For a chunk of time Sabine is not officially recognized by the Mandolorians as a Mandolorian. Thats how that works.

Similiar to how they treated Jango Fett or DeathWatch.

Your arguement here only furthers the point i made to Kyno.... if you are trying to say a traitor brand or exile brand doesnt count in regards to if you are mandolorian, then Jango was even when he was a bounty hunter... which means Boba being his son or a child found/created and raised by him would be allowed to choose to be one.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    RTS wrote: »

Because the real world is different than fiction. Nobody has ever "been" a job that requires a high level degree just because they learned it from their parent(s).

You're not a doctor just because your parent was and taught you what they know - it's not how it works.

Feudal systems worked like that for years. A blacksmith would have an apprentice. Said person would learn said job hands on and then take it over or go open their own shop in a different village.

So you are completely wrong when you use an absolute like "Nobody has ever".... because a bunch of people in history have. That may not be how modern times in first world countries work today... but history covers a lot of time...
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member
    Anax33 wrote: »
    I know there are many things about django and boba. But just one thing people reading star wars books cant ignore: in 4000 by, at the times of old republic (times of revan malak traya nihilus etc...) mandalore was a threat to the siths and to the jedis. They were a great powerful nation at this age. And the leader of this nation was cassus fett. I can't imagine the authors of the old republic calling him fett without thinking about bobba and his father. They are mandalorian, and from the most prestigious dynasty
    But being mandalorian is in your head you are if you accept the code you are one of them. They rejected the code.

Keep in mind that a lot of what once was canon is now legends due to disney buying the star wars universe and deleting all but the movies and cartoons.
  • ShaggyB
    2390 posts Member

(I'm not saying boba is a mandalorian, I don't think he technically and/or really is, I'm just sayin. Besides, Boba was like 8 when jango got got, how much could he have learned anyway?)

Lol he could fly slave 1 (seen in episode 2 and hiw he left geonosis), he knew how to kill a guy (as seen in the jango comic), he understood how to survive on his own and get in contact with other bounty hunters....

Seems like he learned a lot from jango
  • Iy4oy4s
    2923 posts Member

Feudal systems worked like that for years. A blacksmith would have an apprentice. Said person would learn said job hands on and then take it over or go open their own shop in a different village.

So you are completely wrong when you use an absolute like "Nobody has ever".... because a bunch of people in history have. That may not be how modern times in first world countries work today... but history covers a lot of time...

True, however, I’m comparing the Jedi order to any other organization that has a similar structure. To become an engineer or doctor, you must go through training and prove your knowledge to a governing body. Once that body has accepted your work, then you become what you set out to become. Same as a Jedi.
    Once the Jedi order fell, technically, there can be no more Jedi in the traditional sense, which is why I don’t believe that Luke is a Jedi until after he finds the texts, studies them, and restarts the order....then Ben happened and boom, no more new order, therefore, Luke is ,indeed, the last Jedi.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

True, however, I’m comparing the Jedi order to any other organization that has a similar structure. To become an engineer or doctor, you must go through training and prove your knowledge to a governing body. Once that body has accepted your work, then you become what you set out to become. Same as a Jedi.
    Once the Jedi order fell, technically, there can be no more Jedi in the traditional sense, which is why I don’t believe that Luke is a Jedi until after he finds the texts, studies them, and restarts the order....then Ben happened and boom, no more new order, therefore, Luke is ,indeed, the last Jedi.

If Yoda and OB are alive, and were part of that governing body, then the order is still alive and Yoda can anoint the title to Luke.

Yoda

\

"I am Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight and friend to Captain Solo." - Luke in RotJ

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me." - Luke in RotJ

Yoda

\

I was just joking...
    But for someone to return, they need to be there first. lol. Again, just a joke.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member

Yoda

\

What if the title doesn’t refer to Jedi plural? We already know that Luke is on a path to be a Jedi, but there is one character in the movie who returns to his old self, essentially “Returning as a Jedi”...

And that’s Anakin.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    I know this was all a joke, but that’s kind of a cool new way to look at the title, so that’s what I’m going to do
  • That was a short return. :D