position about “sandbagging”?

VeNeNo
72 posts Member
edited January 2021
I would like to know opinions and statements from CG about this problem.
This TW happened once again to my guild.
Our guild (220M) vs another guild with 260M power. They got the double of our GL’s.
Matchmaking is just broken and some guilds are gaining advantage from it.
So, CG, is there any plan to mitigate this situation?
3ibou6n8684h.jpeg

Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• Filter all guilds by members joined (+/-2 to allow wiggle room or an odd number of guilds with x amount of players), then filter by total GP joined, then if you want to go a step further, average GP of those joined, then matchmake the guilds.

Stop matching 50 versus less than 40. Shouldn't happen at all.
  • This has been happening as long as TW has been out which is quite a long time now. I can't remember if anyone has explicitly commented but given that I think it is safe to assume they have no intention of doing anything about it.

You could also note sandbagging (or deliberately sitting people out) is rather different to having TW being voluntary.

I agree with a filter on numbers as well, should be enough guilds it doesn't mess most matching up but that really isn't the point, they aren't doing it or they would have a long time ago.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I doubt CG plan to mitigate the sandbagging. 2 years ago they seemed to not even understand what the problem was and asked players to explain it. Nothing happened for 2 years. I doubt they have anything planned.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I doubt CG plan to mitigate the sandbagging. 2 years ago they seemed to not even understand what the problem was and asked players to explain it. Nothing happened for 2 years. I doubt they have anything planned.

Sadly, this is true. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to correct. Vendi gave a perfect (and simple) way to filter the matchmaking. Simply having the algorithm try to match up same sized guilds as the first priority would probably fix 90% of these issues. Most of the time, it's when one guild has 49 or 50 join and the other has 46 or less. Our chat always jokes "Uh oh, we're over 46, we're dead" - and that is almost always the case....unless we're matched with 48+ on the other side as well.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Vendi1983
    5017 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    We were 171m, 50 joined. They had 38/9, similar joined GP. Total GP: 218m. It meant they had an average of 1m+ more GP per person. You think that one million was all low gear starter teams? Nope.
    Post edited by Vendi1983 on
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    They're likely just thinking how they can monetise a better system.
    Part of the oceans of content coming...
  • We don’t purposely sandbag. Instead we mandate if you join the TW, you will place 4 squads and 1 fleet on defense and attack within 6 hours of it opening. If you can commit to the attack, then don’t join. We are tired of the slackers collecting rewards with no pressure beyond placing metas on D. No ticket alts allowed either. Based on our rules we average 43 to 48 joining.
  • Waqui wrote: »

This was exact response. They understand the concern but, knowing exactly how MM works, just don't believe that sandbagging can give an advantage.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Hortus wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

This was exact response. They understand the concern but, knowing exactly how MM works, just don't believe that sandbagging can give an advantage.

Exactly! They seemed to not even understand what the problem was.
  • npmdczw2abx7.gif