Anything I can do about an unruly shard member?

SparkyBurns
519 posts Member
edited January 2021
I won't go into full detail because I'm tired and furious, but in short my shard chat is absolutely ruthless, vile, and nasty. Most of the people there seem to be fine, but there are a handful of bad eggs including a Russian guy who just called me a religious slur on Discord.

Traditionally I would just ignore him (as I've done for the 2 1/2 years I've been playing this game) but the problem is he spends money just to spite people. He will absolutely make my life an complete nightmare if I say or do anything and I'm not putting money into the game just to deal with this dude.

Is there anywhere I can report a player for harassment? In addition to being called a disgusting slur he also threatened me with some colorful language including the phrase "put a rifle in your back" and I don't particularly like having someone out there with actual violent threats against me seeing my name every day as they climb and getting angrier and angrier.
Post edited by Kyno on

Replies

• If he did it on Discord, there’s nothing CG can do about it.

On discord if you long press on any offensive post you can “report” the user, but this transgression took place outwith what CG control, so there is nothing they can do about it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If it happens in-game you can report the player. If it happens on discord there's nothing CG can or will do.
  • If he keeps on flaming you on discord, just block him. He have to write u ingame messages to contact you and that's how u can get him ingame banned
  • If he is actively harassing people by pushing them down when they have their payouts, it may be a violation to the TOS. https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/#section6
    But I`m not even sure if shard chats are allowed, that depends how you interpret the TOS, so I would be careful with the report.
  • Solem_Phyxx
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Sounds tough, but I'm pretty sure using arena fights before someone's payout is not a violation against the TOS.
    Its a not nice move but, otherwise its just playing the game as intended, ie fighting in arena and I myself often hit the same people just because I know I can win against them consistently.
    If you all share your payout times on a third party platform for him to see/abuse, that is ultimately your problem.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Agreed the best official way is to report via discord. The suggestion to talk to the organisers of the chat is also a great one. People for the most part are good and have little tolerance of such things - most likely you’re not the only person upset by them. I would do both personally.
  • Also while cg probably won’t do anything they may well have been reported before and it won’t do any harm to keep them in the loop.

There’s also always the option of leaving the shard chat or starting a new one if the organisers are unwilling to tackle the problem.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Everything said here, is true, except the part about attacking someone in some way being a violation of the ToS.

Report him on discord, and even message CG_SBCrumb or CG_Doja_Fett to keep them in the loop. If it happens in game, report him.
  • crzydroid
    7296 posts Moderator
    I would talk to whomever is running your shard chat.
  • @SparkyBurns maybe be proactive about it? Message him in game and see how he reacts..
  • Damodamo wrote: »
    @SparkyBurns maybe be proactive about it? Message him in game and see how he reacts..

Ha, try and goad him into slandering me in-game so I can report him. I like it.

Thanks all. For a little more info the shard chat people all know he's problematic but he's harassed others before so most people try not to cross him. There's also a bit of a cultural difference as I'm in the US and he's in a north-Asian country or perhaps eastern European and the other same language speaking members all speak pretty nastily to one another so that may just be their 'normal.'

I'm going to try to take the high ground (heh) and just ignore this latest problem. If he antagonizes and threatens me again maybe I will try to lure him into it in-game. He's already blocked on Discord and throwing an absolute mighty fit about it, so we'll see how it ends up. Thanks again everyone
  • Update: I think people finally gave the guy enough crap because I saw this message
    td49m3r98e4n.jpg

The nasty guy is the one quitting. I doubt this is legit and actually sticks, but I'm tempted to buy the account myself then delete every mod on it so there's no way he can come back. If I never see his name again it'll still be way too soon

• So you’re tempted to do something that would get you permanently banned if caught?
  • So you’re tempted to do something that would get you permanently banned if caught?

I mean that account might get banned but at that point who cares? They wouldn't even know which account was my actual one so not sure what you're getting at here
  • Something along the lines of “2 wrongs don’t make a right”