A better way to handle crashes

Let's face it... Like any software, this game will never be totally bug free. However, it can be quite upsetting when you hit one of the bugs at the wrong time.

I'm thinking of the game modes that have no retreat option. Galactic arena for example. How many times have you fallen foul of a crash mid battle? Based on reports online, I'm willing to believe it happens to all of us at some point (but definitely some like me seem to be hit by it more than others)...

Wouldn't it be great if the game detected that crash and rather than treat it as a failed attempt, it gave you an option to try again? Instead of an instant loss/possible loss for all your guild mates in TW or TB/loss of a battle (and hence the round) in GAC/etc. how happy would you be if you had a chance to recover it?

Now I know that the instant reaction is going to be that you have to prevent cheating in these modes.... Fine by me! Put some extra constraints on the restart - e.g. you can't access this mode through a resignation, you can only do it once, you must complete within the original 5 minute window, or something like that. Given that you already enforce instant failure in the game, it can't be hard to detect this and do something better instead, can it?

Looking at all the angry posts around this issue, it must be worth some effort to ease that pain... Right?

Replies

• not if it doesn't make CG money.
  • Resmi9793
    9 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    not if it doesn't make CG money.

Fewer people quitting due to these issues = more customers who may be willing to pay a few more $$$
  • Resmi9793 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if the game detected that crash and rather than treat it as a failed attempt, it gave you an option to try again? Instead of an instant loss/possible loss for all your guild mates in TW or TB/loss of a battle (and hence the round) in GAC/etc. how happy would you be if you had a chance to recover it?
    How would you make a difference between a crash and a forced close of the app?
  • You don't need to spot the difference. This proposal is about finding the right balance between cheats and crashes.

If you limit it as suggested (i.e. 1 retry and with the same deadline as the original battle - i.e. you don't get another 5 minutes for the restarted battle), this only slightly opens the door for cheating, but massively reduces the cost of a crash. The theory being that legitimate players usually complete most battles in under 3 minutes and (in my experience at least) the crash usually happens near the start of the battle.

Anyone who force quits still has to race to restart, then complete in a reduced time (and only gets this chance once). I doubt many people would be able to cash in on that unless they already had a team that was going to win.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    So, you're suggesting that players who make a tactical mistake during the battle or who experience bad RNG on key moves should be able to force close the app and have a second attempt with the same team within the 5 minute time limit of the 1st battle?
  • Resmi9793 wrote: »

Someone who understands this better than me should certainly chime in, but I'm pretty sure it should be very easy to detect the difference. It would also be very easy for these cheating apps to mimic a crash, but if someone is using those they aren't going to need to manipulate the game for a free second try anyways.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Resmi9793 wrote: »

Someone who understands this better than me should certainly chime in, but I'm pretty sure it should be very easy to detect the difference. It would also be very easy for these cheating apps to mimic a crash, but if someone is using those they aren't going to need to manipulate the game for a free second try anyways.

As weird as it sounds, no you can't, at least not in the current setup.

Current setup only pings the server at the beginning and end of a combat, which is why you can play any match offline, once you are in, and connect again at the end.

If they changed the setup to ping more often, it may lead to more issues as someone with a bad connection could get a dropped battle. Also this doesnt solve the issues unless it is a full live connection the whole time.

A live connection the whole time has it's own pitfalls for both them and the players.

Even a live connection will not be able tell the difference between a force closed app and a crash all the time, because an app crash is not likely to always have the ability to send information back to the server. Buttons disappearing, is one of the few exceptions, but a full crash or restart or locking will not.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    So, you're suggesting that players who make a tactical mistake during the battle or who experience bad RNG on key moves should be able to force close the app and have a second attempt with the same team within the 5 minute time limit of the 1st battle?

Yes. This will be a level playing field for everyone to use and frankly only works early on in a battle or you will be out of time on your retry.

I don't know about you, but I have sufficiently few battles that rely on RNG (outside of certain events - P4 GAS anyone?) that it will make no odds. I'd be willing to give my opponents that small opportunity (that I could also use!) In order to fix THE most frustrating problem with this game.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Even a live connection will not be able tell the difference between a force closed app and a crash all the time, because an app crash is not likely to always have the ability to send information back to the server. Buttons disappearing, is one of the few exceptions, but a full crash or restart or locking will not.

Exactly! A truly crashed app can't tell the servers what's happened and so I'm asking them to give all players a limited benefit of the doubt to recover.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

Yes. This will be a level playing field for everyone to use and frankly only works early on in a battle or you will be out of time on your retry.

I don't know about you, but I have sufficiently few battles that rely on RNG (outside of certain events - P4 GAS anyone?) that it will make no odds. I'd be willing to give my opponents that small opportunity (that I could also use!) In order to fix THE most frustrating problem with this game.

That will be a "No thanks" from me. I like that in TW and GA there's no second chances or ways of correcting mistakes once the battle is initiated - even when I make my own mistakes that may cost the win.
  • Even if that "mistake" is none of your doing? FWIW, I'd agree with you if the game was stable enough, but it's not...
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Even if that "mistake" is none of your doing? FWIW, I'd agree with you if the game was stable enough, but it's not...

Your phone is not stable.

I got a new phone and it fixed every crash.

Then I started crashing again because I ran out of storage. I fixed that, and the crashes stopped again.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Trust me. It's not my phone. Just look at the bug forum at some point.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Trust me. It's not my phone. Just look at the bug forum at some point.

ha that's a good one
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Even if that "mistake" is none of your doing? FWIW, I'd agree with you if the game was stable enough, but it's not...

Yes, even if it's just bad RNG.
  • That's not what I meant... I meant when the game crashes.

Is that not worth addressing? And if it is, where does the line lay on a fair deal for those players affected (given that you can't detect the difference between a force quit and a crash)?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    That's not what I meant... I meant when the game crashes.

Is that not worth addressing? And if it is, where does the line lay on a fair deal for those players affected (given that you can't detect the difference between a force quit and a crash)?

Of course it's worth addressing but your solution comes with too great cost. If you have any better ideas feel free to let us all know.
  • Before I can do that, I need to know why it is too great a cost... No one has put a counter explaining _why_ a time-limited system that provides a level playing field for all players is unacceptable. What would anyone actually lose here?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Before I can do that, I need to know why it is too great a cost... No one has put a counter explaining _why_ a time-limited system that provides a level playing field for all players is unacceptable. What would anyone actually lose here?

No one? I've already explained why I personally believe it's too great a cost and why it's a "No thanx" from me:

That will be a "No thanks" from me. I like that in TW and GA there's no second chances or ways of correcting mistakes once the battle is initiated - even when I make my own mistakes that may cost the win.

Post edited by Waqui on
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Before I can do that, I need to know why it is too great a cost... No one has put a counter explaining _why_ a time-limited system that provides a level playing field for all players is unacceptable. What would anyone actually lose here?

they are all handled the same right now, so it is a level playing field.

you want a different playing field to be the "new level playing field".

as pointed at above, what you are introducing, allows player to "game the system", even if you find this an acceptable margin and a small one, its still there and adds that layer to those game modes.
  • Resmi9793
    9 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes - I'm proposing that the game changes... What else can you do when it is technically impossible to differentiate between a crash and a force quit?

There is literally no option but to change the game's rules and tie them down enough to make enough people happy. Looks like that there is little appetite for that sort of change, though.
    Post edited by Resmi9793 on
  • I'd like CG to make a game that doesn't randomly crash during TBs just bc CG won't fix the well known problem. Guess all that talk about the new system making it 'easier' on them for development and bug fixes wasn't true.