[MEGATHREAD]: Road Ahead - January 2021

1789101113Next

Replies

  • Kyno
    28733 posts Moderator
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »

    The Road Ahead are no longer tied to quarters....they are tied to whenever they have something to announce. The problem was that the Road Ahead didn't drive up hype. The conquest post SHOULD have been the road ahead.

    Communication isn't that hard really, other games do it with ease....this studio just seems to have too much red tape and poor management on top of that. We shouldn't be praising Crumb for coming on once in blue moon to answer someone's question... it should almost be a daily occurrence....

    It still says approximately once per quarter. Indicating the same or at least a similar timeline of expectations. The fact that they released the road ahead as it was means to me that it was intended to get people excited and speculating about a new game mode. Which is something we have been asking for and yet after it's announcement it was met with frustrated and negative speculation rather than excitement. Likely at the time of the road aheads conception the details we have now were not fully fleshed out so they gave us something to look forward to in the meantime.

    In regards to communication, if I were in their position I would feel very overwhelmed by the communication aspect of my job. Let's be honest this community is awesome but it's also shallow we say... Passionate. (Passionate meaning volatile) Every word in every post is dissected and taken and interpreted (at times incorrectly) like holy scrolls from heaven. So obviously I can't speak for them but I can empathize with the situation they are in. Again making great strides and improvement while navigating with poise and candor the often aforementioned passion from the community.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...which reasonable. The amount of time things on the communication side take to get "approved" is the problem, even Doja has pointed to it...which is why I think this game is managed very poorly.
  • TVF
    28062 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...

    Lol are you new here?

    CG: Almost daily!
    CG: (*posts twice a week*)
    FORUMS: wHeRe ArE oUr DaILy PoStS
    The CGDF is recruiting. Say hi in our Discord! https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Kyno
    28733 posts Moderator
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...which reasonable. The amount of time things on the communication side take to get "approved" is the problem, even Doja has pointed to it...which is why I think this game is managed very poorly.

    The game and the communication are 2 different things. With as many companies involved as there are I can see comms may be more heavily managed by people "outside" of the direct lines of communication.

    If you mean weekly, its probably better to say that, almost daily means of he posted 2 times in a week someone will be complaining because 3 days between isnt close enough to daily. Either way they would never actually commit to something like that, evening that was a goal they are trying to keep.
  • TVF wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...

    Lol are you new here?

    CG: Almost daily!
    CG: (*posts twice a week*)
    FORUMS: wHeRe ArE oUr DaILy PoStS

    We were talking about Crumb...who hasn't responded to anyone, aside from yesterday's response, since DEC....so sure.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...which reasonable. The amount of time things on the communication side take to get "approved" is the problem, even Doja has pointed to it...which is why I think this game is managed very poorly.

    The game and the communication are 2 different things. With as many companies involved as there are I can see comms may be more heavily managed by people "outside" of the direct lines of communication.

    If you mean weekly, its probably better to say that, almost daily means of he posted 2 times in a week someone will be complaining because 3 days between isnt close enough to daily. Either way they would never actually commit to something like that, evening that was a goal they are trying to keep.

    I see your point...even when they do commit to something, they have a habit of not following through. Doja has been and continues to be a breath of fresh air on here, so there is hope...while Crumb seems to be a lost cause who really hasn't managed the community as his job description would suggest.
  • Kyno
    28733 posts Moderator
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...which reasonable. The amount of time things on the communication side take to get "approved" is the problem, even Doja has pointed to it...which is why I think this game is managed very poorly.

    The game and the communication are 2 different things. With as many companies involved as there are I can see comms may be more heavily managed by people "outside" of the direct lines of communication.

    If you mean weekly, its probably better to say that, almost daily means of he posted 2 times in a week someone will be complaining because 3 days between isnt close enough to daily. Either way they would never actually commit to something like that, evening that was a goal they are trying to keep.

    I see your point...even when they do commit to something, they have a habit of not following through. Doja has been and continues to be a breath of fresh air on here, so there is hope...while Crumb seems to be a lost cause who really hasn't managed the community as his job description would suggest.

    Or when they try to keep a commitment, people tend to complain that each update isn't "update-y" enough.....

    There are a few misconceptions about the specificity of their job and title. Not going into detail, but there job is not only to talk to the player base, and I think many would be surprised at everything they do in the background.
  • Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...which reasonable. The amount of time things on the communication side take to get "approved" is the problem, even Doja has pointed to it...which is why I think this game is managed very poorly.

    The game and the communication are 2 different things. With as many companies involved as there are I can see comms may be more heavily managed by people "outside" of the direct lines of communication.

    If you mean weekly, its probably better to say that, almost daily means of he posted 2 times in a week someone will be complaining because 3 days between isnt close enough to daily. Either way they would never actually commit to something like that, evening that was a goal they are trying to keep.

    I see your point...even when they do commit to something, they have a habit of not following through. Doja has been and continues to be a breath of fresh air on here, so there is hope...while Crumb seems to be a lost cause who really hasn't managed the community as his job description would suggest.

    I think your confusing his job title with his job description. It’s pretty obvious that Doja is our main go to for direct communication nowadays so I’m not sure why you expect Crump to pop in on a weekly basis as well when we have a designated person for the job. Crumb obviously has his own stuff that he’s got to do in relation to his job that we don’t know about which is why they brought in Doja in the first place. Just because he’s not active in the forums doesn’t mean he’s actively not doing anything
  • I think people are being too hard on CG for managing the community aspects.

    All CG can do is their best at creating content for the various stages of the game that players have reached. I think they do a decent job at balancing end-game and scaling content for all involved. There have been missteps and nothing is ever perfect, but managing the response of the community to missteps (heck even just decent content that isn’t a misstep) is virtually impossible.

    No one person can control the reaction of another person let alone the reactions of thousands of players. Could they be better at community management? Yes. Could they be worse? Yes.
  • Konju wrote: »
    I think people are being too hard on CG for managing the community aspects.

    All CG can do is their best at creating content for the various stages of the game that players have reached. I think they do a decent job at balancing end-game and scaling content for all involved. There have been missteps and nothing is ever perfect, but managing the response of the community to missteps (heck even just decent content that isn’t a misstep) is virtually impossible.

    No one person can control the reaction of another person let alone the reactions of thousands of players. Could they be better at community management? Yes. Could they be worse? Yes.

    I completely agree. No one company is perfect at anything. The best we can do is to give feedback when they ask and not be too hard on them. We gotta realize how much work they are already doing for us and stop being too tough on them. At least we know that they are trying to fix the "issues" that people are having.
    “But you know what I always say: Speak softly and drive a big tank.”
  • Ultra
    7441 posts Member
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...

    Lol are you new here?

    CG: Almost daily!
    CG: (*posts twice a week*)
    FORUMS: wHeRe ArE oUr DaILy PoStS

    We were talking about Crumb...who hasn't responded to anyone, aside from yesterday's response, since DEC....so sure.

    crumb is always posting with his burner accounts
  • Gouj4 wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...which reasonable. The amount of time things on the communication side take to get "approved" is the problem, even Doja has pointed to it...which is why I think this game is managed very poorly.

    The game and the communication are 2 different things. With as many companies involved as there are I can see comms may be more heavily managed by people "outside" of the direct lines of communication.

    If you mean weekly, its probably better to say that, almost daily means of he posted 2 times in a week someone will be complaining because 3 days between isnt close enough to daily. Either way they would never actually commit to something like that, evening that was a goal they are trying to keep.

    I see your point...even when they do commit to something, they have a habit of not following through. Doja has been and continues to be a breath of fresh air on here, so there is hope...while Crumb seems to be a lost cause who really hasn't managed the community as his job description would suggest.

    I think your confusing his job title with his job description. It’s pretty obvious that Doja is our main go to for direct communication nowadays so I’m not sure why you expect Crump to pop in on a weekly basis as well when we have a designated person for the job. Crumb obviously has his own stuff that he’s got to do in relation to his job that we don’t know about which is why they brought in Doja in the first place. Just because he’s not active in the forums doesn’t mean he’s actively not doing anything

    Crumbs duties as he describes them
    Report critical issues to the team as they appear and in weekly reports. I read alot, even if I don't respond all the time. Every week I surface the top discussed/most frustrating issues from the players directly to the team.
    Friday wrap up used to be a thing where he would state for the community what he was up too. Why did it stop? Dunno...was never stated, but I would love the Friday wrap up to return, perhaps with some Doja flair (17 piece minimum)
    Advocate for the community to the team and raise concerns around the impact of a change on players - mostly writing up how X change will impact different types of players
    Can a community manager really advocate for the community without being active in that community? Serious question.
    Writing and reviewing posts, update notes, newsletters, announcements with the designers and engineers
    Ok, could do a better job of this as some posts go out with typo's (I'm guilty of this as well)
    Razor Crest has its Reinforcement ability as 'Hardware" and it has a cooldown of 3....what's with that? Did reinforcement turn back to hardware? People have asked, we shall see if we get a response on it.
    Organize our regularly scheduled events, Dev Q&A, Road Ahead/State of the Galaxy, getting updates of the status of tickets for the Dev Tracker
    Well, haven't had a dev Q&A is close to a year now. Dunno about any regularly scheduled events they have with us, RA and SoTG are hit or miss, and the dev tracker only recently started getting updated after months upon months of no updates.
    Respond to direct messages on a variety of platforms: forums,reddit,slack,discord - The volume of messages I receive daily is high and endless. I don't get to as many of these as I would like but I try to respond when I can. I wish I had another 4 hours in day to get to more of these
    Forums - Rarely. Reddit-about a post a monthish. Dunno about slack as I am assuming that thats their internal messaging system and Discord has only seen interaction this month (from what I have seen, but could be more)
    Occasionally I also deal with particularly difficult tickets that need a strong knowledge of whats going on in the community for the CS team
    Again, how can you know what the community really wants or needs without talking to them on a regular basis, not just on these forums, but everywhere, so you can get a well-rounded picture of the community.

    Now, I understand that Doja is here to help Crumb, so all of these self-imposed tasks should be getting done with twice the success. Doja has been great and I hope he takes over all these things and improves on them all, which seems to be happening with the adventures in Discord. I hope his revamped communication plan is robust.
    I have no idea why CG doesn't use Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, and other platforms to bring awareness and hype to this game.
    There are other Star Wars games on the horizon and I dont want SWGOH to be overshadowed by them.

  • Ultra wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    TVF wrote: »
    Iy4oy4s wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think daily is a bit much, but I wouldnt mind seeing them more.

    Doja is a man with a plan and once he gets more elements rolling that may give him more time to get out here to shoot the bantha poo.

    "almost daily" so that could mean twice a week...

    Lol are you new here?

    CG: Almost daily!
    CG: (*posts twice a week*)
    FORUMS: wHeRe ArE oUr DaILy PoStS

    We were talking about Crumb...who hasn't responded to anyone, aside from yesterday's response, since DEC....so sure.

    crumb is always posting with his burner accounts

    Touche Ultra
  • Hypothetical situation - Let's say that company X is a subsidiary and owned by company Y which is also partners with company Z.
    Company X is responsible for the development and maintenance of product A while company Y manages marketing, finances, legal, etc.
    Company X is provided with a salary and employees to support product A. Company X must use the resources given to provide for all the needed services associated with product A.
    The product does so well financially that company Y leaves company X as it is even though they work very hard and are struggling to keep up with consumer reports, questions, concerns, etc.
    So company X does the best they can with the resources they have while having to sort through the all associated red tape for being a company in association with Y and Z.
    Again just hypothetical but that illustrates how much more complicated things can be than we may think.

    If we respond respectfully, constructively, and concisely without being demanding or obtuse then that will be the most helpful thing we as players can do for the game.
  • Mandalore wrote: »
    Hypothetical situation - Let's say that company X is a subsidiary and owned by company Y which is also partners with company Z.
    Company X is responsible for the development and maintenance of product A while company Y manages marketing, finances, legal, etc.
    Company X is provided with a salary and employees to support product A. Company X must use the resources given to provide for all the needed services associated with product A.
    The product does so well financially that company Y leaves company X as it is even though they work very hard and are struggling to keep up with consumer reports, questions, concerns, etc.
    So company X does the best they can with the resources they have while having to sort through the all associated red tape for being a company in association with Y and Z.
    Again just hypothetical but that illustrates how much more complicated things can be than we may think.

    If we respond respectfully, constructively, and concisely without being demanding or obtuse then that will be the most helpful thing we as players can do for the game.

    TL;DR- The House of Mouse and EA are masters of red tape and constrain CG on what they can and can't say bc, let's be honest, that's just how both of them act.
  • Kyno
    28733 posts Moderator
    I really think this has gone more than far enough down this path.

    Leta get back on topic please.
  • Ultra
    7441 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    I really think this has gone more than far enough down this path.

    Leta get back on topic please.

    i think we need a conquest megathread since everything about the Road Ahead has been delivered
  • Kyno
    28733 posts Moderator
    Ultra wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I really think this has gone more than far enough down this path.

    Leta get back on topic please.

    i think we need a conquest megathread since everything about the Road Ahead has been delivered

    honestly with something that has this many facets and distinct areas of discussion/questions. I was trying to let it float out there and maybe make a few merges later.
Sign In or Register to comment.