Modding Jedi Master Luke

I recently unlocked JMLS, and I'm wondering how to mod him. I see a lot of people modding him with heavy protection, which I assume is based on this:

Inherited Teachings: Gain Jedi Lessons for 3 turns and call target other Light Side ally to assist, dealing 90% less damage. Then, they deal true damage to the target enemy based on 60% of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker's base Max Protection, which can't be evaded.

If that ally is a Jedi, they gain Jedi Lessons for 3 turns and 15% Turn Meter, recover Protection equal to 5% of Luke's base Max Protection and reduce the cooldown of their Inherited Teachings by 1.

My understanding of base stats is that they are the unit's pre-mod stats. I've done some research and places like Reddit seem to be split on whether or base stats are pre-mod stats or beginning of the battle stats, which would include mods. I'm looking for clarification, so I can properly mod my new toy. My default for everybody is speed.

I appreciate whatever info I can get.

Replies

• TVF
    36575 posts Member
    If you use him at lower and higher protection you can see that the damage does go up with higher protection.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I agree with you ... base protection is (should be?) prior to adding mod effects, so the protection mods should not affect the true damage from Inherited Teachings. But JML is a tank, so maybe they are all stacking protection on him to soak damage.
  • I have mine modded with a speed and health set - Focused on protection, speed and offense. I had a blunder some weeks back where I accidentally sold all my mods so I'm trying to do the best I can with what I can buy and what I already have. At first I went all health focusing on protection but I was too slow to compete with the other GL's so I changed it up and went with a speed set.
  • BenQuadinaros
    69 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    I think they (maybe Doja?) explained it last year that base protection is the protection value at the start of battle, before any abilities’ effects are applied. So that would include modded protection. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think TVF is right.
  • crzydroid
    7283 posts Moderator
    When the game uses the term base stats, it means after mods but before in-game effects. It's confusing because prior to that term being prevalent in game text with JKL, people on the forums had used it to describe pre-mod to illustrate that percent-based mods don't compound off of other mods. But for JML, "base" definitely means after mods as he enters the battle.
  • Starslayer
    2418 posts Member
    edited January 2021
    If you run him as a leader, speed is key to defeat JKR lead. You have the speed advantage thanks to your leader ability but you absolutely need to go first. JML's lead is interesting because you'll win against JKR's lead 100% of the time as long as you go first and know your opening moves
    They grow behind with Hyoda targeting JML, JKR's focus on JKR, Training on JML, Jedi's will on JML, double smackdown with GAS, then nova opposition with a überbuffed Efflux
    , you'll give a harder time to Rey and you'll enjoy ultimate goodness, which you don't really need but is always fun to use.

Potency is a very good option; you want his debuffs to stick.

About primaries: Protection is more offensive (teachings) Health is more defensive. Crit damage triangle can produce some impressive Efflux, especially paired with Grand Master Training from Hyoda and Jedi's will from your younger self.

Have fun with the grumpiest GL of them all !