Galactic War - A noob’s question

Sendor_Mylas
7 posts Member
edited February 2021
Hi there everyone,

I’m quite a new player playing the game for around 45 days. As a Star Wars fan of 40 years I’m quite enamored so far, but I have some questions I can’t figure out. My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

Specifically, how does the Galactic War mechanism work? I’m level 69 as of this writing and my top characters are only level 60 with gear 7. However for the past 4-5 days I’m getting insanely higher teams in the GW. I mean, first it was 10 levels higher, then 15 and today I was greeted at node 11 by a level 80-85 gear 9-10 team of Darth Vader, Nihilus, Bane, Asoka and Mace Windu.

It wasn’t like this a week ago, what happened what did I do to trigger this? At this early stage it feels GW currency is quite essential so what would you as veterans recommend me to do?

If it helps, my swgoh.gg is https://swgoh.gg/p/164622427/

Many thanks in advance!
Post edited by crzydroid on

Replies

• RTS
    682 posts Member
    Just keep leveling - it's designed to get harder (IIRC based on your arena shard?) but once you hit max level it becomes a fair breeze as long as you're using teams with cohesion.

Phoenix should be getting you through it I think, it just may take a while with their "damage"
  • The first tip is to use the two different teams, usually the first you go with the empire and then with the phoenix. the idea is to leave the empire's turn meter preloaded.

And go to the discord or facebook groups to be able to join a real guild, you already have several 7 star characters, if the guild does the heroic sith you will quickly have Han Solo, GK and Traya.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    camper288 wrote: »
    The first tip is to use the two different teams, usually the first you go with the empire and then with the phoenix. the idea is to leave the empire's turn meter preloaded.

And go to the discord or facebook groups to be able to join a real guild, you already have several 7 star characters, if the guild does the heroic sith you will quickly have Han Solo, GK and Traya.

This. Use the lower nodes to set up 1 or 2 teams with close to full turn meter, cool downs reset, etc. Then save those stronger teams, ready to go, for the tough nodes (usually 9 and following). It might not be enough to get you through 12 everyday, but it can help push through 9, 10 and 11.

Remember also that GW is based on an rng "seed number" - meaning that if you retreat and go back in with the exact same team, the exact same things will happen (The AI will attack the same targets, debuffs will stick or not on the same characters, etc). Use that knowledge to your advantage. If you don't like the way a battle started, retreat, change the lineup a little and try again - or attack someone else, etc.

Keep plugging away. There will be days where you can't get through it. But eventually it'll get easier and then you'll be simming it.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Regarding GW, it's not meant to be completed everyday until you've rounded out your roster. The purple nodes in particular are more difficult. It does cap, but until you have a good enough single squad it's a multiple team endeavor. One trick to work to your advantage is preload turnmeter on your characters by using your second team on the first easy nodes. Go through the rest with another team, and when you need to switch your preloaded team will have first turn advantage.

The other thing I want to say regarding your roster is that you don't have to level every character you have, especially early game when credits are tight. Characters like Jedi Knight Guardian and Tuskens are completely useless. Jawas don't really have a use in the game anymore. Mace Windu, Gar Saxon, and Magmatrooper also aren't very good in the game right now. Be conservative with your credits so you can level up and mod your top teams. Phoenix are a good early game GW team--get them leveled up so you can level their unique abilities, which they share under Hera lead.

Also make sure you are only putting resources into the best characters. Not only is it a waste, but it also inflates your power without giving you very much. Things like GW difficulty scale based on the power of your top characters. So if you're going to increase power, you want to make it count. Thrawn is a very good character, and gearing him would be a good idea anyway--but since yours is only 5 star, you have the added bonus of his power staying low but still being very good (but definitely increase his start count once your Phoenix are strong enough to get the shards).

And as always, like others have mentioned, make sure you're in a good guild that is doing all Heroic raids and can get max or near-max raid tickets everyday.
  • Wow so many fast and useful comments, thanks a lot to you all guys.

Right now I just finished nurturing my Phoenix team to seven stars but I’m still somewhat unsure about my dark side team. Currently I’m using a Vader, Palp, Dooku, Tarkin (all 5*) and KRU (on the way to 5*) and readying Thrawn to experiment with replacing one of these but I’m not sure which one or whether I should in the first place.
    camper288 wrote: »
    The first tip is to use the two different teams, usually the first you go with the empire and then with the phoenix. the idea is to leave the empire's turn meter preloaded

Regarding the preloading, again out of my ignorance, do you mean that each team comes with preloaded turn meters every time I switch them? Or is it the only the first time they are used?
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Remember also that GW is based on an rng "seed number" - meaning that if you retreat and go back in with the exact same team, the exact same things will happen (The AI will attack the same targets, debuffs will stick or not on the same characters, etc). Use that knowledge to your advantage. If you don't like the way a battle started, retreat, change the lineup a little and try again - or attack someone else, etc.

Keep plugging away. There will be days where you can't get through it. But eventually it'll get easier and then you'll be simming it.

Thanks a lot this is good to know, it would allow experiments with the opposing team. 👍
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    The other thing I want to say regarding your roster is that you don't have to level every character you have, especially early game when credits are tight. Characters like Jedi Knight Guardian and Tuskens are completely useless. Jawas don't really have a use in the game anymore. Mace Windu, Gar Saxon, and Magmatrooper also aren't very good in the game right now. Be conservative with your credits so you can level up and mod your top teams. Phoenix are a good early game GW team--get them leveled up so you can level their unique abilities, which they share under Hera lead.

Also make sure you are only putting resources into the best characters. Not only is it a waste, but it also inflates your power without giving you very much. Things like GW difficulty scale based on the power of your top characters. So if you're going to increase power, you want to make it count. Thrawn is a very good character, and gearing him would be a good idea anyway--but since yours is only 5 star, you have the added bonus of his power staying low but still being very good (but definitely increase his start count once your Phoenix are strong enough to get the shards).

Makes a lot of sense now that you put it this way 😞. Unfortunately I already wasted a lot of resources on the many characters I unlocked so far. In any case, I’ll keep this in mind from now on 👍
  • Turn meter on your team carries over node to node. So if you end a node with everyone on your team at half turn meter (except for whoever finished the last enemy) the next time in that GW you use them, they'll already have half their tm bar full - so they'll go before the enemy.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2021
    The same holds true for ability cool downs - so near the end of battle, just use basics, so they next time you use that team, all of their abilities are available.

• Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Turn meter on your team carries over node to node. So if you end a node with everyone on your team at half turn meter (except for whoever finished the last enemy) the next time in that GW you use them, they'll already have half their tm bar full - so they'll go before the enemy.
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    The same holds true for ability cool downs - so near the end of battle, just use basics, so they next time you use that team, all of their abilities are available.

Very useful to know, thanks!
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    crzydroid wrote: »

Makes a lot of sense now that you put it this way 😞. Unfortunately I already wasted a lot of resources on the many characters I unlocked so far. In any case, I’ll keep this in mind from now on 👍

Yeah, those credits are gone, but I was just letting you know so that you can stop leveling characters like that now. As you learn more about the game and read guides, you will get a better sense of what to go after. For now, that's Phoenix. For Dark Side, like I said, Thrawn is very good. Work on him and and he can replace either Tarkin or Dooku.
  • On another note, I already have two functional teams as described above. Any recommendations about a third team to nurture into GW caliber?

I’m doing 2-3 times 50-crystal energy refreshes and a single 100 crystal refresh every day for the cantina but even so it seems to me that it may take a month or maybe more to 7-star such a team so maybe I should start focusing already.

For example, as per some opinions I’ve read elsewhere, I’m at the earliest stages of building a Bastila-JKA-Jolee Bindo-Juhani and a fifth Jedi that I’m not sure which (maybe to take a shot at GM Yoda).

Others recommend a Geonisian team for the long term plus for the fleet options they present. Yet others extol the virtues of a bounty hunter team. So a little confused here 😓.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Yeah, those credits are gone, but I was just letting you know so that you can stop leveling characters like that now. As you learn more about the game and read guides, you will get a better sense of what to go after. For now, that's Phoenix. For Dark Side, like I said, Thrawn is very good. Work on him and and he can replace either Tarkin or Dooku.

Thanks, putting this on the top of my list now 👍
  • In regards to leveling on tight credits, for the first 70 levels or so, you only need to be leveling 1 DS team & 1 LS team, 10 total characters.

Everyone else, just leave them be.

The exception to this might be if you have Phoenix & Empire as the 2 main teams but you need some Scoundrels for the credit heists event.

For most characters that you unlock just leave them at Level-1 & Gear-1 till your ready to actually work on the entire team for Gearing.

Then when Gearing, focus on a complete level for a single toon.

Giving up some easy White/Green/Blue gear is fine when you enter a new level but if you see several major Raid Drop Purple gear pieces, focus on doing them all on 1 toon instead of spreading it around.

That way you can complete the level for that 1 toon & see the next level for any "free" fill in slots.

When it comes to Phoenix get them all to Gear 8.0 & then focus on taking Ezra higher.

I was able to 7* Thrawn on all 8's with Ezra at 9-10.
  • In regards to leveling on tight credits, for the first 70 levels or so, you only need to be leveling 1 DS team & 1 LS team, 10 total characters.

Everyone else, just leave them be.

The exception to this might be if you have Phoenix & Empire as the 2 main teams but you need some Scoundrels for the credit heists event.

For most characters that you unlock just leave them at Level-1 & Gear-1 till your ready to actually work on the entire team for Gearing.

Then when Gearing, focus on a complete level for a single toon.

Giving up some easy White/Green/Blue gear is fine when you enter a new level but if you see several major Raid Drop Purple gear pieces, focus on doing them all on 1 toon instead of spreading it around.

That way you can complete the level for that 1 toon & see the next level for any "free" fill in slots.

When it comes to Phoenix get them all to Gear 8.0 & then focus on taking Ezra higher.

I was able to 7* Thrawn on all 8's with Ezra at 9-10.

This is also an important guidance for gearing, thanks for summing it up like this 👍