Non GL vs GL

Prev1345
Kyp_Durron88
61 posts Member
edited March 2021
I have been playing this game from the beginning. Why. WHY are you pairing non GL rosters with GL rosters in GAC. It is impossible! I'm raging and proud of it because I'm right. Come at me you cowards! WHY?!

Replies

• TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Because you're supposed to get your own GL
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • But if you don't have one, why are you paired with those who do? Making GAC possible, at the very least, would be a much better draw no?
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Because you both made your choices. Get a GL.
  • I'm not getting a GL to make my matches harder while my potential opponents can fight other people that took Phoenix to r7 instead of unlocking a GL.

Sorry, but you are not right. It's been known for nearly 2 years how the matchmaking works. You are responsible for your roster development and if you are regularly pulling GLs without having one, you have a problem on that front. It's not the matchmaking that's wrong.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Show us your roster and that of your opponent. Justice lies in details.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    But if you don't have one, why are you paired with those who do? Making GAC possible, at the very least, would be a much better draw no?

No - first off, if you've been "playing since the beginning" why don't you have a GL? Second, there are non-GL counters to GL, so if you had made better decisions in building your roster (either for GLs or to counter them), you wouldn't have an issue with your GAC matchups.

GAC has been around for quite some time - how matchups are determined is fairly well understood and is fine.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Oh I know I'm wrong given that it's just how matchmaking is set up. I have a r7 Stormtrooper Han. That should explain everything right there. What I don't understand is why they would set up matchmaking that way in the first place. It may be the way it is, but it doesn't have to be. I think we can all agree that diverse rosters make this game interesting.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    But if you don't have one, why are you paired with those who do? Making GAC possible, at the very least, would be a much better draw no?

No - first off, if you've been "playing since the beginning" why don't you have a GL? Second, there are non-GL counters to GL, so if you had made better decisions in building your roster (either for GLs or to counter them), you wouldn't have an issue with your GAC matchups.

GAC has been around for quite some time - how matchups are determined is fairly well understood and is fine.

Better question is why would I have a GL? Have you seen the requirements?

Also, just because GAC has been around awhile does not mean I'm wrong. It's never been fair. All I'm asking is why?

You say I'm wrong but you have nothing to back up your convictions. I was just paired with someone who has 2 maxed out GLs. How is that fair?

Also, just because GAC has been around awhile does not mean I'm wrong. It's never been fair. All I'm asking is why?

You say I'm wrong but you have nothing to back up your convictions. I was just paired with someone who has 2 maxed out GLs. How is that fair?

Because you have made a choice to grow your roster to such a level that it matches someone with 2 GLs.

Usual request - share your swgoh.gg. That’ll help explain this.

(PS - tomorrow I start farming tickets for SEE. My 4th GL)
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

Because....they're worth it?
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

Yes, 300k GP worth of B-/C-squad toons taken to relics for my SLKR. But if you are facing one more more GLs then you must also have invested a comparable amount or resources to build up a comparable amount of GP.
    1) You cannot ignore GP in matchmaking
    2) It would be impractical to attempt to match rosters by specific characters
    3) Roster and resource management is as much a part of the game as combat
    You are responsible for your roster development choices and the matchmaking mechanics have been known for 2 years.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

1) It's not a better question. I have seen the requirements. I have also been playing since the beginning. I have 3 GLs.

2) I explained how it's fair. You are matched by the GP of your top toons. You chose to invest gear/relic levels in non-GL related characters. That was your decision. Don't blame GAC matchmaking because you don't want to develop your roster in a way that maximizes your GAC matchmaking.

3) I absolutely "backed up my convictions" - by pointing out that there are non-GL counters to GLs. So even if you chose not to develop your roster toward GLs, you could have at least built it to counter them. If you wanted better GAC matchups, you should have (or should, moving forward) develop your roster with GAC matchmaking in mind.

Ignoring the GAC matchmaking algorithm while developing your roster, then complaining about your roster in GAC, is not only pointless, it looks pretty silly.

If you post your swgoh.gg profile, we can help you "fix" (or at least explain) your GAC matchup problems. But, if you simply keep complaining that it's "not fair" - it's not going to change and no one can help you.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help

Because you have made a choice to grow your roster to such a level that it matches someone with 2 GLs.

Usual request - share your swgoh.gg. That’ll help explain this.

(PS - tomorrow I start farming tickets for SEE. My 4th GL)

I already know all this. I'm asking why it's fair. I still say it isn't. I can't win.

(PS - Believe it or not, I'm happy for you. I've been trounced by SEE many times. He should do wonders for you.)
  • Still no Ally code / swgoh.gg page though?
  • TVF wrote: »

Yes, they are worth it. Those of us who farmed characters we liked pre-GLs shouldn't be matched with those rosters. How were we supposed to know we had to farm certain god-tier characters that are all from the sequel trilogy. I can't stand the sequel trilogy so I never farmed those characters.

The requirements could have just as easily been niche toons I farmed, STH for one, and then I would have been the one with the lucky advantage. Look, I get it, I would want to keep as many people out as I could too from your standpoint. Crushing people like me is nice and easy, but it's not fair.
  • TVF wrote: »

Yes, they are worth it. Those of us who farmed characters we liked pre-GLs shouldn't be matched with those rosters. How were we supposed to know we had to farm certain god-tier characters that are all from the sequel trilogy. I can't stand the sequel trilogy so I never farmed those characters.

The requirements could have just as easily been niche toons I farmed, STH for one, and then I would have been the one with the lucky advantage. Look, I get it, I would want to keep as many people out as I could too from your standpoint. Crushing people like me is nice and easy, but it's not fair.
    This was possibly a defensible standpoint 12 months ago, when many ftp players began unlocking their first GL.

But now? How can you claim anyone with a GL had a “lucky advantage”?
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Yes, 300k GP worth of B-/C-squad toons taken to relics for my SLKR. But if you are facing one more more GLs then you must also have invested a comparable amount or resources to build up a comparable amount of GP.
    1) You cannot ignore GP in matchmaking
    2) It would be impractical to attempt to match rosters by specific characters
    3) Roster and resource management is as much a part of the game as combat
    You are responsible for your roster development choices and the matchmaking mechanics have been known for 2 years.

1. I don't. What's your point?
    2. That's not what I'm suggesting. Just put GL players in their own bracket and continue matching GP. Or, boost GL GP contribution to a more appropriate proportion.
    3. Agreed. What's your point?
  • 2. The GP for A GLs requirements is around 250k, with the GL on top makes over 300k. Seriously - how much more can a GL contribute?

As has now been asked of you several times, you need to show us your roster to help you understand why you’re being matched with GL owners when you are not one. Anyone with, for example, 20 g13 characters that doesn’t yet have a GL is asking for this sort of matchup.

I’d be perfectly happy if GL owners only faced other GL owners - provided the non GL owners were fighting for a lower prize pool.

1) It's not a better question. I have seen the requirements. I have also been playing since the beginning. I have 3 GLs.

2) I explained how it's fair. You are matched by the GP of your top toons. You chose to invest gear/relic levels in non-GL related characters. That was your decision. Don't blame GAC matchmaking because you don't want to develop your roster in a way that maximizes your GAC matchmaking.

3) I absolutely "backed up my convictions" - by pointing out that there are non-GL counters to GLs. So even if you chose not to develop your roster toward GLs, you could have at least built it to counter them. If you wanted better GAC matchups, you should have (or should, moving forward) develop your roster with GAC matchmaking in mind.

Ignoring the GAC matchmaking algorithm while developing your roster, then complaining about your roster in GAC, is not only pointless, it looks pretty silly.

If you post your swgoh.gg profile, we can help you "fix" (or at least explain) your GAC matchup problems. But, if you simply keep complaining that it's "not fair" - it's not going to change and no one can help you.

1. This is subjective. I think it's a better question and you cannot logically tell me I'm wrong. It was just a joke anyway.
    2. I disagree. I know how matchmaking is set up, and the majority, if not all, of the retorts I've been reading just state the obvious. My question has not been answered. How is any of this fair?

A flyweight who trains his whole life will never be matched with a heavyweight who isn't as experienced. It's absurd. And, since, apparently, we are now telling each other what to do, don't tell me what to do.

3. What's with the passive-aggressive quotes? Is there something fundamentally wrong with that phrase? I'm just trying to engage in a logical dialogue. I mean no offense to anybody.

These counters are too dependent on RNG and are unlikely to work. You are right in that I should reorient which toons I farm, and I am. I do want to roll with the big dogs someday. I also think it is fair to expect reasonable competition in the meantime. I never have a chance...like ever.

I'm not ignoring the algorithm. I'm arguing that it is flawed. I can't win. It's not pointless to those of us who spent the pre GL days farming whoever we liked. Finally, you can call me silly if you want. I'm still right. Matchmaking is not fair.

(PS - Don't need help!)
  • Still no Ally code / swgoh.gg page though?[/
    TVF wrote: »

This was possibly a defensible standpoint 12 months ago, when many ftp players began unlocking their first GL.

But now? How can you claim anyone with a GL had a “lucky advantage”?

I did take a summer off at one point and fell behind on DR, Malak, and GAS. Just now finishing those up. You make a good point here. I'm mostly just sick of losing so bad every time. I would accept a lower prize pool if I could have a chance
  • https://swgoh.gg/p/347766581/characters/

I think this is you. Loads of r7 toons - including stormtrooper Han - and a really low lifetime GAC score.

I could be wrong. Or I could be right and you’ll deny it. But man - 40 g13 with 2 at r8, 14 at r7 and the other 24 at r5... whoever this is only has themselves to blame.
  • Kyp_Durron88
    61 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Yeah that's me. If you're right I won't deny it. How am I to blame? I was being paired with GL opponents when I didn't have DR, Malak, Watt, GAS, etc. That's insane. It stands to reason that GL rosters should not be paired with non GL rosters. I get that my GP is inflated, but they can change the algorithm. I shouldn't be punished for moving the ball forward on characters I want to use.

You're making it sound like having loads of r7 toons is a bad thing. I worked hard for those. And besides, whether r5 or r8, GLs swat them all away like they are nothing.
    Post edited by Kyp_Durron88 on
  • Roster diversity is a big draw for many people who play this game. STH can be a beast if he's paired with the right team in the right situation. I want to feel free to bring Kit Fisto to r7 just because I think he's cool. Can't do that kind of stuff now. I feel that GLs ruined that. Besides being absurdly more powerful than any normal r8, they make everyone farm the same characters, and roster diversity only comes down to mods. Where's the fun in that? It seems that taking almost a year off really screwed me because I missed all this stuff when it was coming out. When I came back to the game, I did not know that relic level weighed so heavily on GP. I still don't even understand it fully. The game doesn't explicitly state it, and I shouldn't be expected to follow cubs or ahnald. Anyway, I'm done unpacking all this. It is the way it is at the end of the day. Thanks for hearing me out. I'm holding out for more GLs with character requirements that I already have fulfilled.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Relics were introduced in 2019. By then it was well known that building characters that are subpar in GA/GAC will hurt your matchmaking in GA. It has been known for more than two years. If you took subpar characters to high relic levels or zetaed some subpar abilities within the last 2 years you only have yourself to blame for your troubles in GAC.

With that being said, there's no right or wrong way to develop your roster. You you have fun taking your ST Han to R7 then go ahead. However, your choices have consequences for your matchmaking in GAC.
  • Yeah that's me. If you're right I won't deny it. How am I to blame? I was being paired with GL opponents when I didn't have DR, Malak, Watt, GAS, etc. That's insane. It stands to reason that GL rosters should not be paired with non GL rosters. I get that my GP is inflated, but they can change the algorithm. I shouldn't be punished for moving the ball forward on characters I want to use.

You're making it sound like having loads of r7 toons is a bad thing. I worked hard for those. And besides, whether r5 or r8, GLs swat them all away like they are nothing.
    Having loads of r5+ is a bad thing if the result of that is you getting smashed in GAC all the time. And you’re to blame because you’ve chosen to take STH to r7, Boba Fett to r5 for example. They are contributing nothing of note to your roster for other game modes and are not an effective use of resources when it comes to GAC.

Developing a roster for certain game modes is not a new thing. Before SLKR, if people wanted to excel in HSTR they needed certain teams (resistance, JKR led Jedi and Shaak Clones, for example). If people developed a roster that didn’t have those teams, was it reasonable for them to complain that they could never bag top rewards in a raid that pretty much required them? Same goes for TB. Back in the Hoth days, we needed to develop our IT, BH, Rogue 1 and Phoenix to get the best possible rewards. Again, if people chose not to develop those teams, could they complain that they weren’t performing at the top level? GAC is another game mode that “requires” a particular focus on roster development. Plow your own furrow at your peril.

But let’s take your request for the algorithm to stop matching GL owners with non GL owners to its logical conclusion. Who would it be fair for you to be matched with? I don’t have any way of checking this, but I’d imagine people with 40 r5+ toons and no GL are pretty thin on the ground and their number will only decrease as time progresses. What happens if you take another 20 toons to r5 or higher and still don’t unlock a GL? Should you continue to be matched with non GL owners? Even if their roster is completely over powered by yours?
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    It was a valid point way back then when GL's were introduced (especially for 3v3 and before Vader got his touch up and JKL was introduced). There's been enough time now for people to prepare. We know that the GAC algorithm is looking at the top 66 (3v3) / 80 (5v5) GP chars in div 1 (and fleets to some extent but details are unknown) so everyone should know that increasing the GP of that chars is going to affect matchmaking and result in getting matched with tougher opponents.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    R7 sth and can’t win in gac? I...believe you.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    You absolutely can play how you want - just realize that that comes with the trade off of hurting you in certain areas of the game.

Don't want to develop Geos? That's fine - but you won't be much help in the Wat mission for your guild. The same with clones and the Kam mission.

Many good characters require you to build up factions to acquire them. That's part of the game - always has been. The journey guide is exactly that.

You can farm, gear and relic whoever you want - just realize that there are consequences. And yes, having consequences based on your choices is fair. That's not only true in this game, but IRL too.

• TVF
    36577 posts Member
    Who could have guessed that the newest best toons that were released around the time of EP 9 release would require FO and Resistance?
  • Yeah that's me. If you're right I won't deny it. How am I to blame? I was being paired with GL opponents when I didn't have DR, Malak, Watt, GAS, etc. That's insane. It stands to reason that GL rosters should not be paired with non GL rosters. I get that my GP is inflated, but they can change the algorithm. I shouldn't be punished for moving the ball forward on characters I want to use.

Having loads of r5+ is a bad thing if the result of that is you getting smashed in GAC all the time. And you’re to blame because you’ve chosen to take STH to r7, Boba Fett to r5 for example. They are contributing nothing of note to your roster for other game modes and are not an effective use of resources when it comes to GAC.

Developing a roster for certain game modes is not a new thing. Before SLKR, if people wanted to excel in HSTR they needed certain teams (resistance, JKR led Jedi and Shaak Clones, for example). If people developed a roster that didn’t have those teams, was it reasonable for them to complain that they could never bag top rewards in a raid that pretty much required them? Same goes for TB. Back in the Hoth days, we needed to develop our IT, BH, Rogue 1 and Phoenix to get the best possible rewards. Again, if people chose not to develop those teams, could they complain that they weren’t performing at the top level? GAC is another game mode that “requires” a particular focus on roster development. Plow your own furrow at your peril.

But let’s take your request for the algorithm to stop matching GL owners with non GL owners to its logical conclusion. Who would it be fair for you to be matched with? I don’t have any way of checking this, but I’d imagine people with 40 r5+ toons and no GL are pretty thin on the ground and their number will only decrease as time progresses. What happens if you take another 20 toons to r5 or higher and still don’t unlock a GL? Should you continue to be matched with non GL owners? Even if their roster is completely over powered by yours?

It wouldn't be reasonable to complain about not getting top hoth rewards because the way to get there is clear and intuitively obvious. It's just a progression. GAC is different. It is not fair from a competitive standpoint. I've been saying it all along. I can't win. How is that fair?

Rosters without GL should be paired with similar GP. It's simple. I could have every character reliced, but if the opponent has one GL, I lose.

If I choose to relic subpar characters then I accept that the match would be an uphill battle against an opponent who has only reliced vader, grievous, jkl, etc, but the power discrepancy isn't so bad in that case. I could reasonably make up for it by being creative and micromanaging. GLs are on a completely different level.

There are plenty of people who already agree with me. I don't need any of you to validate my argument, nor can anybody tell me I am wrong.
This discussion has been closed.