Returning player looking for some help

So I have played this game before several years ago and played for a few weeks before deleting it. I recently redownloaded it about a month ago and am working on the phoenix squad as said by many guides. However I have some questions.

1 In Ahnald's new player series how does he manage to get so many crystals and farm Kanan so fast?

2 Even though my phoenix team was stronger than his phoenix team he was around rank 500 while I am rank 6000. How did his phoenix team get further in squad arena even though it was weaker than mines?

Here is my swgoh.gg link https://swgoh.gg/p/726869213/

Replies

• Ahnald may have started and gotten into a fairly new squad arena shard (I started late Dec and he is not in my shard). Whereas when you started you may have gotten into one that was already filling up, so more players had already started.

Squad shards seem to fill up fast, whereas fleet shards are slower to fill. For example one of the top 5 squad arena teams from Ahnalds shard is in my fleet shard (hyperdrive player), but there are others who started later in Jan also in my fleet shard but not in Ahnalds squad shard (in one they started later)
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Ahnald may have started and gotten into a fairly new squad arena shard (I started late Dec and he is not in my shard). Whereas when you started you may have gotten into one that was already filling up, so more players had already started.

Squad shards seem to fill up fast, whereas fleet shards are slower to fill. For example one of the top 5 squad arena teams from Ahnalds shard is in my fleet shard (hyperdrive player), but there are others who started later in Jan also in my fleet shard but not in Ahnalds squad shard (in one they started later)

Also, if you are using your old account, you are going to be on the same arena leaderboard, and the people at the top are going to be a long ways ahead of you.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Ahnald may have started and gotten into a fairly new squad arena shard (I started late Dec and he is not in my shard). Whereas when you started you may have gotten into one that was already filling up, so more players had already started.

Also, if you are using your old account, you are going to be on the same arena leaderboard, and the people at the top are going to be a long ways ahead of you.

Would you recommend starting over and creating a new account or stick with this one?

• ChiefBlade wrote: »
    Would you recommend starting over and creating a new account or stick with this one?

If you're using the same account you started a few years ago, definitely just start a new one especially considering where you are. It won't take too long to get back to where you are, and you'll be up against squad and fleet arena shards that all are new like you. You will have people with Hyperdrive Bundle there, but you can catch them with dedication.
  • @ChiefBlade

When you start over, make sure you make a plan for every type of energy and every type of currency for purchases. It will be **very** helpful to have things organized that way.

For instance, at the very beginning you can go Phoenix or Geonosian. There are good reasons for both, but I strongly recommend Geonosians. It matters that you make the choice right away, however, because as soon as Cantina Battles open to you you'll be faced with the choice of farming Geonosian Soldier or Hera. If you don't know what you want to do right away, this can be confusing and set you back as you bounce between farming a little bit of each of several good characters.

And, yes, there are a lot of good characters there. It's not bad that you farm them all, but it matters what order you farm them.

If you need help making a plan, let people know. There are also good general guides for starting a new account available in both Youtube and text form. I recommend watching one or two youtube tutorials and then leave them alone. Once you get the general ideas from them, with the visual cues of what things look like and where in the cantina you can find this or that, etc., then the text articles are easier to use in an ongoing way. If you have to refer back to something in a youtube video, it can take a while to find it. Not so with text articles because of ctrl-F.

When considering text articles, make sure you read around here in the new players section. There are a lot of things written for those new folk that can be applied to your situation.

Finally, you're going to get contradictory advice. I think Geonosians should be your first faction, followed quickly by Jedi including Bastila Shan and 2 Phoenix toons (Ezra & Kanan) with Sabine (a Phoenix toon) slow-farmed from day 1. This will slightly slow your acquisition of Palpatine & Thrawn, but you should still have them both before level 76 and they don't actually reach their potential until later - Palp needs level 82 and his first zeta before he really becomes what he's supposed to be. Getting Palp at level 60 is useful for bragging rights, but not so much for anything else.

But other people still strongly believe in getting Phoenix as your first faction. There are a number of reasons for that, of course, but Palp & Thrawn are a huge part of that.

So what do you do when two (or more) people who seem to know what they're talking about are giving you different but equally good advice?

In my opinion the best thing to do is throw out the advice that seems less fun. This is a game, after all, and anyone on these forums can give you helpful advice about the most efficient paths to gaining power or accomplishing this goal or that,

But if you're not having fun, you're just going to quit again, and you'll never have a chance to gain all that power anyway. Game advice that isn't fun isn't worth it.

So throw away the advice of anyone (even/especially me!) if it conflicts with what makes the game enjoyable to you.

The great thing about the early part of the game is that your options are limited. There are only so many things you can farm, many events are closed until you reach level 85, etc.

So whether you play as a collector trying to get everyone, whether you play as a fan of certain characters trying to get those, whether you play to dominate other players in Arena, **whatever** makes the game fun for you, the advice you get about the early game is the least likely to conflict with what you want to do.

Hope you have fun, and never worry about asking questions when you need help!