TW and GAC Matchmaking Proposals

InnocuousBoatMotor
6 posts Member
edited April 2021
Cliffs at bottom

Territory War

I want to preface this by saying that I’m not salty about a recent loss or anything to that effect. My guild has been fortunate to enjoy a nice winning streak and I’ve done well in GAC. These are just objective observations and opinions.

Matchmaking should be based on a guild’s total GP. Sign ups should be done away with entirely. Roster lock occurs at the beginning of a 4 hr (if needed) matchmaking period. At its conclusion defenses are set over the course of 20 hours and the existing TW format plays out as is. A TW matchmaking countdown timer can easily be added in the lobby.

Current GP brackets are dated to a time before relics, GLs and 400m+ GP guilds. It’s time these are restructured as well. 225m+ is too large of a canvas. There are 42 guilds at 350m+ with more closing in. This should be the cutoff. Should there be an odd number of 350m+ guilds simply take the next largest into that group. For all guilds below 350m the algorithm should match within 10m GP if at all possible. Extend the brackets to 225m-249.9m, 250m-274.9m and so on up to 350m. Rewards are adjusted accordingly.

We are at 219m GP and fought a 278m guild awhile back. We were around 210m at the time. They had triple our GLs, more of everything and we barely got the win. My point is that match should’ve never occurred. Around 1/3 of our Wars are vs 30m+ larger guilds and I have friends in a larger guild who get those matches almost every single TW.

The current format caters to sandbagging. The antiquated algorithm quite literally punishes guilds with max participation. Is that really working as intended? Any game mode that encourages players to not play the game is broken. Reducing the number of slots exacerbates the problem. To be clear I’m not suggesting every guild missing 5+ players is sandbagging. I am saying participation should be rewarded; not punished.

I do understand that some guilds are casual with little participation in TW. This won’t really change much for you. However, the rest of the player base gains a number of clear benefits. The overwhelming majority of the player base would welcome effective solutions to eliminate sandbagging whether that be these suggestions or others.

Grand Arena

Again, we are looking at matchmaking. Personally, my matches have been quite fair to both parties. Occasionally I draw a 3 GL opponent but it’s not a big deal. However, I know good players who either refuse to play GAC or invest effort into it because of the matchmaking.

Galactic Legends must become a more centralized metric in determining lobbies. Players who built squads/factions that weren’t meta or GL reqs are constantly hammered. They should face equally strong opponents but there should never be a match where one player has 2 more GL’s than their opponent. This is especially unfair to those players in the 3v3 format. We’d like to see equal GLs in every lobby but we need to start somewhere.

Additionally, we’ve outgrown the existing Divisions. Currently a 4.6m GP player will compete against an 8m GP player on the leaderboard. That doesn’t seem right. We need a minimum of 2 additional divisions, perhaps more.

Up to this point there hasn’t really been a widespread and unified demand for these changes. We’ve just accepted things for what they are. Time has passed and the game has outgrown the status quo. I’ve been happy to see improvements across the board from CG over the past few months. These or similar changes would reinforce competitive integrity and improve the gaming experience for everyone. I love Star Wars and enjoy this game. I hope you’ll take the time to consider addressing these needs. Thank you.

Cliffs
-Updated TW and GAC brackets
-Abolish TW sign ups
-Tighten matchmaking and their respective algorithms
-Make changes to effectively end sandbagging

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Just one note: no matter what changes happen or not, they are not likely to do away with the feature that allows player to not punish their guild by having a life.
  • Options
    Kyno wrote: »
    Just one note: no matter what changes happen or not, they are not likely to do away with the feature that allows player to not punish their guild by having a life.

Yes, need to ensure forum mods have time for one liners that completely miss the point.
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Yes, need to ensure forum mods have time for one liners that completely miss the point.
    How’s he missing the point? If you abolish TW signup, anyone who can’t contribute during a TW due to vacation, busy spell at work etc, that player is harming their guild - fact.

If you delete that bullet point, everything else you have said about TW is pretty much bang on the money.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Forum logic dictates that if you don't agree with someone or don't understand someone then they must just have missed the point.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options

How’s he missing the point? If you abolish TW signup, anyone who can’t contribute during a TW due to vacation, busy spell at work etc, that player is harming their guild - fact.

If you delete that bullet point, everything else you have said is pretty much bang on the money.

Hard disagree with them taking any meta toons into account.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    Up to this point there hasn’t really been a widespread and unified demand for these changes. We’ve just accepted things for what they are.

I mean there's threads like this all the time, but ok.
  • Options
    TVF wrote: »

If you delete that bullet point, everything else you have said is pretty much bang on the money.

Hard disagree with them taking any meta toons into account.
    I only read the TW bit. GAC matchmaking is totally fine but TW needs fixed so that’s all I read.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    See above.
    Matchmaking should be based on a guild’s total GP. Sign ups should be done away with entirely.

This hurts a guild when a player cannot participate for RL reasons. They are unlikely to change this.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    Territory War

[...]

Matchmaking should be based on a guild’s total GP.

No, it shouldn't. It was in the early days of TW which resulted in far more uneven matches than we see today when a guild had players that didn't participate (for whatever reason).
    Grand Arena

[... ]

Galactic Legends must become a more centralized metric in determining lobbies. Players who built squads/factions that weren’t meta or GL reqs are constantly hammered. They should face equally strong opponents but there should never be a match where one player has 2 more GL’s than their opponent. This is especially unfair to those players in the 3v3 format. We’d like to see equal GLs in every lobby but we need to start somewhere.

Completely disagree. It wouldn't be fair to the players that acquire the newest META characters fast if they are given stronger opponents than those who acquire them slower. Building a strong roster is part of championship. If you acquire the newest META character faster than you opponent you earned your advantage.
    Additionally, we’ve outgrown the existing Divisions. Currently a 4.6m GP player will compete against an 8m GP player on the leaderboard. That doesn’t seem right. We need a minimum of 2 additional divisions, perhaps more.

Agreed. Last year CG announced that they are awaiting some (undefined) critical mass in Div. 1 before they will introduced more divisions. I have no idea what's holding them back. Div. 1 has far more players than any other division.
    Up to this point there hasn’t really been a widespread and unified demand for these changes.

How did you miss all those threads about matchmaking?
    Cliffs
    [...]
    -Make changes to effectively end sandbagging

Yes - but not the changes you suggested.
  • Options
    I'm content with the GAC mm. I often have a GP advantage in my GAC matchups because I am an indulgent player, I like gearing up marquees too early, I have an r7 Mace Windu, all my characters are at lv85, most at min g8 - so when I'm matched up with a player with 1m+ less GP it's usually because thay player is more focused, doesn't love Mace Windu, and they manages resource far better than I do; Ideally I'm using less than 70 characters per matchup, so the overall GP isn't particularly relevant vs top end GP. At least in Div 1.