[MEGA] Upcoming Grand Arena Championship Division Changes

Replies

• Wow, this feedback... didn't seem to matter what Div you are in or moving to, no one seems happy.

Div 1-3 after changes: waaa too many fights to have to do!

Div 5+ after changes: waaa I don't get to do enough fights!

Div 3+ after changes: waaa all my fleet investment for nothing!

Personally I'd be fine with extra fights, because that means opponents having to reach further into their rosters to maybe see something interesting. But I think I'm going to be div 3 or 4 so: waaa not enough change for me! Oh and waaa my fleets sit in dry dock!

Way to design a change that sits everyone in the same boat: unhappy mc unhappyboatface.

I love the change. My roster hasn’t been stretched really in over a year. This is going to be fun with 4 new defense teams and 4 new attack teams
  • captainp77 wrote: »

I love the change. My roster hasn’t been stretched really in over a year. This is going to be fun with 4 new defense teams and 4 new attack teams

It works good for me, personally, too as I'll be in Div 2. But there are issues with the proposed changes for people in other divisions and I think the changes should make sense for every division, not just certain divisions.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    General sentiment, the feedback is being heard and the conversation is ongoing (no promises), but no changes are planned or being planned at this time. This is not something happening immediately ( as expressed by Crumb), so let's keep up the constructive conversation and feedback going.

With that said, they are also not working on distributing any clarifying details at this time, as things are possibly subject to change.

I hope this is as nebulous and non promising as I can make it, as that is my goal, but I felt this was necessary to express.

THANK YOU

GAC has always been about roster depth, which is why it’s one of my FAVORITE parts of the game!

For mid-game players, please keep our squads used the same or similar. We have worked really hard to meet the challenges of GAC and the current proposed structure deteriorates that.

For 3m GP accounts to go from SIX squads to THREE is frankly, insulting.
    So THANK YOU for at least re-examining these proposed changes.

General sentiment, the feedback is being heard and the conversation is ongoing (no promises), but no changes are planned or being planned at this time. This is not something happening immediately ( as expressed by Crumb), so let's keep up the constructive conversation and feedback going.

With that said, they are also not working on distributing any clarifying details at this time, as things are possibly subject to change.

I hope this is as nebulous and non promising as I can make it, as that is my goal, but I felt this was necessary to express.

THANK YOU

GAC has always been about roster depth, which is why it’s one of my FAVORITE parts of the game!

For mid-game players, please keep our squads used the same or similar. We have worked really hard to meet the challenges of GAC and the current proposed structure deteriorates that.

For 3m GP accounts to go from SIX squads to THREE is frankly, insulting.
    So THANK YOU for at least re-examining these proposed changes.

Completely agree with you. But I think you're being a bit over-eager in thanking them, because my interpretation of what Kyno wrote there is that CG currently plans on making the change from 6 to 3 squads even with the current outcry against it. I really, really hope they reconsider, it simply does not make sense to do this. I could not care less about the rewards of GAC, I just enjoy the game mode and this change is just such a negative one.
  • For Posterity:
    This season of Grand Arena takes us to Dathomir, home of the Nightsisters! This Grand Arena Championship will be 5v5 in all zones and in all rounds with one zone for Fleet. We have also increased the number of ship defense slots to 2 for Grand Arena Championship Divisions 1 and 2.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/236035/grand-arena-season-11-nightsisters

I've been in division 1. using 4 fleets every GA since then. That's over 6 months of farming up my 5th/6th fleets for the sake of clean-up in the case I make a mistake. I have a LOT of time, energy, GP invested into those fleets and I don't understand why having both Negotiator, Malevolence, Finalizer, Empire, Rebels, etc.... Is now being removed. (if that is the final decision)

Whether you enjoy or dislike fleet content, there were always battles where it came down to a player who invested in pilots a percentage over someone who invested in characters. We read the post about how this to increase competitiveness, but this really isn't going to do anything beyond cause every single fleet battle to be malevolence vs. negotiator for a ton of people. Strategically you're removing decisions that players had to consider and the % of points in the GA that used to be surrounding fleet vs. characters investment isn't respected.

Playing the game for years now, deciding where to spend, invest, drop relics for the sake of a pilot, all of those choices go a long way. BUT, when you go from telling me to have 4+ fleets and I make a big jump to solidify those teams, then we remove that requirement months later..... I just don't understand the logic. That's all.

There has always been a balance in grand arena between someone who chases GLs to win 1-2 battles vs. a player who has spent that time and energy in farming up full, quality squads to gear 12+. With newer players I see a lot of them farming very sharply into G13 for their roster and then deciding how many relics they want to invest. Instead of G11 vs. G12 or G12 vs. G13, the decision has become G13r3 vs. G13r5-7.

Those same players that were making those adjustments also had to adapt to farming up missing ships, pilots, pilotless ships, GET2 ships. So, if we don't change the requirements for everyone who was in division 1+2 to stay at 2 fleets on defense, I'd request that CG treats this like some sort of a major zeta change and figures out a way for me to remove GP from those fleet investments. I don't think that is reasonable, feasible, and I'd like to see more fleet!
  • Samurhaj
    40 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    My only hope is till season after this one they will change their mind and give me back a !grand! arena where i fully use my roster. 3kk GP freaking 3teams 5.2kk GP 9 teams. Thats crazy and I dont understand how it even could go to the Phase that they All agree its a good idea and announce it. Blows my mind. There is no chance that these people play their game
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Wow, this feedback... didn't seem to matter what Div you are in or moving to, no one seems happy.

Personally I'd be fine with extra fights, because that means opponents having to reach further into their rosters to maybe see something interesting. But I think I'm going to be div 3 or 4 so: waaa not enough change for me! Oh and waaa my fleets sit in dry dock!

Way to design a change that sits everyone in the same boat: unhappy mc unhappyboatface.
    This is pretty much how I feel about it (I’m new division 2 at 7.25M GP).

They’ve used a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Something needed fixed, but they’ve made other things worse in doing so.

So much this. Instead of reworking all of the divisions and changing virtually everyone's requirements, then having to rebalance rewards, they simply should have broken up current Division 1 into an appropriate number of smaller Divisions then increased the required teams and tweaked the rewards for those new "top-end" divisions. Then in the future, they could simply keep adding and subdividing the top divisions as the players grew into them.

But, instead, their current solution is not only overly-complicated, but suggests that every time the game outgrows the current Division system, they are going to redo the entire thing. How does a game like this have so little foresight? Unreal.

Totally this. What CG should have done:

b8ivf840hw7c.png

Then as Nikoms said they can add more divisions on top in the future as rosters grow.

We dont really have enough actual fleets to require 6, but I agree the reshuffle vs just expanding is an odd choice.
    Actually, there are enough fleets. Even at my range (5,8 mio gp) I regularly meet opponents in GAC who have all (capital) ships that are available in the game. I would not want fleet numbers to increase to 3 at my current gp range, but add a million more and I'd probably be okay with it.

There are enough ships, but enough actual fleets.

- no clean up (stated above)
    - 1-2 fleets that cant beat anything but each other, but are beat by the top 4
    - sub optimal layouts, just to field X number of fleets
    - maybe other points....
    OMGee! That sounds suspiciously like... a strategic challenge! :open_mouth:
  • They should have just re-named the divisions and made division 1 the starting point for GAC, so everything above the current division 1 would be 8, 9, 10, 11, etc. That way the only changes would be to the high GP players in the game.
    It would make it easier if they needed to add more divisions in the future too.
  • Whale harder
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Wow, this feedback... didn't seem to matter what Div you are in or moving to, no one seems happy.

They’ve used a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Something needed fixed, but they’ve made other things worse in doing so.

So much this. Instead of reworking all of the divisions and changing virtually everyone's requirements, then having to rebalance rewards, they simply should have broken up current Division 1 into an appropriate number of smaller Divisions then increased the required teams and tweaked the rewards for those new "top-end" divisions. Then in the future, they could simply keep adding and subdividing the top divisions as the players grew into them.

But, instead, their current solution is not only overly-complicated, but suggests that every time the game outgrows the current Division system, they are going to redo the entire thing. How does a game like this have so little foresight? Unreal.

b8ivf840hw7c.png

Then as Nikoms said they can add more divisions on top in the future as rosters grow.

We dont really have enough actual fleets to require 6, but I agree the reshuffle vs just expanding is an odd choice.
    Actually, there are enough fleets. Even at my range (5,8 mio gp) I regularly meet opponents in GAC who have all (capital) ships that are available in the game. I would not want fleet numbers to increase to 3 at my current gp range, but add a million more and I'd probably be okay with it.

- maybe other points....

If you had options that would be, but we dont have options and that is the point.

There is no real strategy since you cannot make 3 teams that have a chance of holding and 3 teams that can win against those teams. So it comes to, which junk team do you want to leave on defense.....gee seems like a great use for that extra spot.

But like I said, I'm all for it, I love ships. Go for it.

b8ivf840hw7c.png

- maybe other points....

If you had options that would be, but we dont have options and that is the point.

There is no real strategy since you cannot make 3 teams that have a chance of holding and 3 teams that can win against those teams. So it comes to, which junk team do you want to leave on defense.....gee seems like a great use for that extra spot.

And you just described the exact type of strategic challenge lower division players face every GAC.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

b8ivf840hw7c.png

- maybe other points....

And you just described the exact type of strategic challenge lower division players face every GAC.

Correct, one they can develop into, make choices, and build on.

There is no building into that, there are no options. There is no development to make it better or work out a strategy, there are no choices.

Again it's not a strategy if you have no options, that's where it falls apart forcing that before there are more ships.
  • Constructive feedback- I like the adding of more divisions and re-balancing them. My vote would be that for the same GP old to new, keep defensive squad count the same. e.g. if your GP had you placing 6 squads on defense before in Div3, you should still place 6 in the new Div7.
    I'd also vote for 2-fleet defense to go below the new div2 cutoff. All the way to new Div6 would match prior and would be my preference.
  • I get where your coming from concerning 3 fleets.....I'm just salty because unless changes are made, I have apparently wasted so much time preparing for the jump to 2 fleets, probably could have been half way to another GL lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    MBRedline wrote: »
    I get where your coming from concerning 3 fleets.....I'm just salty because unless changes are made, I have apparently wasted so much time preparing for the jump to 2 fleets, probably could have been half way to another GL lol

I think everyone is in agreement about everyone who had to place 2 fleets should still have to.
    I get where your coming from concerning 3 fleets.....I'm just salty because unless changes are made, I have apparently wasted so much time preparing for the jump to 2 fleets, probably could have been half way to another GL lol

I think everyone is in agreement about everyone who had to place 2 fleets should still have to.

Except the devs
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Recurve wrote: »

Except the devs

Not exactly.
  • Legend91 wrote: »
    Kiloran wrote: »
    Can we take this time to rethink auto set defense as well. Really annoying having to fight the top of someone roster. Maybe reverse it pull from the bottom or at least exclude GLs. Discouraging when I can't clear a zone because I like GAC and set an actual defense. This is especially true for 3s.

This almost never happens to me, but I 100% agree. Auto-set should be changed to place a player's toons starting from the BOTTOM end of their roster, not the top. Players that actually want to play this mode shouldn't be punished by players that don't care about the mode. Full-clearing an auto-defense is often hard to do, and usually prevents one from doing any "side" feats. Like, how is one supposed to win a fight with Farmboy Luke, Stormtrooper Han and Chewbacca for the feat when your enemy has 4 GLs, GAS, JKL, DR autoset in the front walls? CG should really look into changing this...

By intentionally letting a battle time out when there's only 1 enemy left with red HP and then sending in the feat team. The downside is that you lose 20 points which is gonna hurt for reaching the top 10.
    The problem with the game setting the lower part or even the middle part of someones roster would be that that person could then use their top end for offense and potentially win (very unlikely but possible) whereas taking away all the top chars is pretty much a 100% loss for the autodeploy person as he has no chance of clearing.

If it only were that easy... Good luck beating a JML with red HP with a trash team, or even a Malak. Not only are the fights often still impossible, it also requires even more offensive power... and fighting an auto-set is already hard enough as is.

And to your second point, there is absolutely no chance (under normal circumstances) that someone with their bottom roster on defense can win a match. The only way it would be possible is if the person attacking the weak defenses crashes a battle or doesn't fully attack (i.e. not clearing all zones for whatever reason). Under normal circumstances it's impossible to lose against a bottom roster. The bottom units of like 99.9% of the players are low star g1-g8 toons, that you could solo with any g13 character and get max banners. On every single fight. If someone has a "regular" defense set up, it's impossible to get max banners on every battle as you'd have to win with full protection and full health every single time. That is impossible even if you have all GLs available, JKL, GAS, Malak etc.. A few banners will be dropped anyway here and there and the person with the bottom roster auto-set will definitely lose. So I don't see any problems with that.
  • I like the change and appreciate that the devs are listening and make some changes to their initial plan.

That said, if they had a group of players, perhaps some people who might be willing to be involved with any potential "change"s to the "game," some of the uproar regarding rewards and fleets could have likely been avoided. Yes, there would have unhappy people anyway, but perhaps some of this thread may have not happened. But I'm not going to "test" things by "beta"ing a dead horse.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I like the change and appreciate that the devs are listening and make some changes to their initial plan.

That said, if they had a group of players, perhaps some people who might be willing to be involved with any potential "change"s to the "game," some of the uproar regarding rewards and fleets could have likely been avoided. Yes, there would have unhappy people anyway, but perhaps some of this thread may have not happened. But I'm not going to "test" things by "beta"ing a dead horse.

There is a beta group, but things like this dont always go through them.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I like the change and appreciate that the devs are listening and make some changes to their initial plan.

There is a beta group, but things like this dont always go through them.

Complete overhaul of a game mode? Why not?
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Zerts
    9 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    I was actually worried about having to place extra fleets moving into Div 2. I have year 2 account full of bloat from all the stupid things they used to make us do. Actually seeing the part where they removed fleet from the new Division was a huge sigh of relief. Leave it for the higher divisions, and keep it at 1 fleet for lower ones. Odds are anyone with a lower GP won't have 4 solid fleets and losing GAC because of ships is awful. Some people despise ships. I work and grind characters to help my guild in raids and TB. Ships is the least of my concerns.

Leave the lower Divisions at 1 fleet.
  • Zerts wrote: »
    I was actually worried about having to place extra fleets moving into Div 2. I have year 2 account full of bloat from all the stupid things they used to make us do. Actually seeing the part where they removed fleet from the new Division was a huge sigh of relief. Leave it for the higher divisions, and keep it at 1 fleet for lower ones. Odds are anyone with a lower GP won't have 4 solid fleets and losing GAC because of ships is awful. Some people despise ships. I work and grind characters to help my guild in raids and TB. Ships is the least of my concerns.

I don't think anyone disagrees that lower divisions should only have to set one fleet, but right now everyone below 6.65 mil GP will only need to set one fleet...not sure if your definition of "lower divisions" goes as high as 6.65 mil. If someone has that high of a GP and doesn't have 4 solid fleets then that's their own fault.

Especially since the old threshold for setting 2 fleets used to be 4 mil GP. If they used to think that players at 4 mil could be able to set 2 fleets, what changed? And why change it by so much?

• Zerts
    9 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Honestly I am about to hit 4m GP, me setting 2 fleets and trying to attack with 2 fleets is going to be rough. People at 6m+ should easily have 4 solid fleets.

I would extend to the 2 fleets to the new Div 1-4 and leave anything below that at 1 fleet. Let people focus on 1 solid fleet to build instead of having to decide to get 2 5* GET2 ships or 7* one of them just for GAC.
    Zerts wrote: »

I don't think anyone disagrees that lower divisions should only have to set one fleet, but right now everyone below 6.65 mil GP will only need to set one fleet...not sure if your definition of "lower divisions" goes as high as 6.65 mil. If someone has that high of a GP and doesn't have 4 solid fleets then that's their own fault.

Especially since the old threshold for setting 2 fleets used to be 4 mil GP. If they used to think that players at 4 mil could be able to set 2 fleets, what changed? And why change it by so much?

• Rebmes
    376 posts Member
    edited April 2021

It's just that we have no other reason for having all these ships. Take them out of the game if we're not expected to use them anymore.
  • I'm not exactly a fan of these changes since it does not effect lower GP players, as the CGs said, with the new characters and teams coming out we should have more squads in GAC although the only character that has come out in the past few months that is not immeadietly availible to newer player is Beskar Mando and SEE and JML. They should allow lower GP players to also do more squads.
  • Gorgus
    122 posts Member
    With the addition of new and interesting teams/factions to the game, it’s extremely hard for me to understand how reducing the number of teams used in GAC for mid-range players wouldn’t make the mode and the game overall less interesting/enjoyable for players. It’s similarly hard for me to understand how reducing the number of fleet slots for mid-range players wouldn’t remove virtually all strategy from that part of GAC and reduce it to a simple contest of who has both Negotiator and Malevolence, and who doesn’t. I don’t see any potential upside at all from that plan. I sure hope they reconsider.
  • Gorgus wrote: »
    With the addition of new and interesting teams/factions to the game, it’s extremely hard for me to understand how reducing the number of teams used in GAC for mid-range players wouldn’t make the mode and the game overall less interesting/enjoyable for players. It’s similarly hard for me to understand how reducing the number of fleet slots for mid-range players wouldn’t remove virtually all strategy from that part of GAC and reduce it to a simple contest of who has both Negotiator and Malevolence, and who doesn’t. I don’t see any potential upside at all from that plan. I sure hope they reconsider.

Yep, and I've been working on all the pilotless ships for 4 months now. 7 more shards for rebel and 1.5 star for TIE Bomb. I know it isn't wasted but I did it for 4 good fleets for GAC. With that said though, I don't think many matchups would compete in fleet with my current 4 with 2 fleet defenders. You are right.
  • If someone missed the chat on discord

o4dlkg6f4d54.jpg
  • Jenoke76 wrote: »
    If someone missed the chat on discord

o4dlkg6f4d54.jpg

I mean, cool. I’m glad Crumb and Doja are advocating for us. As I’m sure Kyno is as well. However the “big brains” who have the final say are either willfully ignorant to what the player base is shouting right now, or just don’t care. I really love how I’m always ready to spend again, then the brain children making these decisions keep my wallet closed lol.