[MEGA] Upcoming Grand Arena Championship Division Changes

Replies

• Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    However the “big brains” who have the final say are either willfully ignorant to what the player base is shouting right now, or just don’t care. I really love how I’m always ready to spend again, then the brain children making these decisions keep my wallet closed lol.

How do you know they don't care what the player base is shouting about right now? We still don't know if they chose to ignore crumb / doja's updates or not

The "big brains" won't make a public post if they decide to update ship squads, they'll just create a ticket internally and assign a developer to work on it, and inform Crumb / Doja to let the community know they are increasing squad placements in lower divisions, which all takes time and days or weeks to relay depending on when they want to announce it (before work is done on it or after a developer has done the changes)
  • Ultra wrote: »
    However the “big brains” who have the final say are either willfully ignorant to what the player base is shouting right now, or just don’t care. I really love how I’m always ready to spend again, then the brain children making these decisions keep my wallet closed lol.

How do you know they don't care what the player base is shouting about right now? We still don't know if they chose to ignore crumb / doja's updates or not

The "big brains" won't make a public post if they decide to update ship squads, they'll just create a ticket internally and assign a developer to work on it, and inform Crumb / Doja to let the community know they are increasing squad placements in lower divisions, which all takes time and days or weeks to relay depending on when they want to announce it (before work is done on it or after a developer has done the changes)

Because this isn’t some massive gear economy or shard economy shift that effects profits. It’s not some kind of mechanical change like CPit that needs testing and altering to find a balance between the best interest of profits/the game and what players want.

It’s literally letting people who have been using 2 ship squads continue to do so. It’s adding a few pieces of gear for promotions for the new divisions. If they also cared, they’d also add some more currency in the end event and end of round rewards but I doubt it.

I also know they don’t care because the only one that’s communicated with us has been Crumb and Doja. Where are the Q&As? Quality of life ol updates promised? Updates on gear economy changes? I don’t think for a second CG cares if it doesn’t involve profits
  • I hope that the new divisions 3 - 5 will require 2+2 fleets. It seems bizarre with all the new fleets added over the past year or two that players between 4.5 - 6.65 million GP would go down to 1+1 fleets. I hope that the original post was poorly worded and they really meant that the number of fleets is unchanged for players *as measured by GP*.
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

Because this isn’t some massive gear economy or shard economy shift that effects profits. It’s not some kind of mechanical change like CPit that needs testing and altering to find a balance between the best interest of profits/the game and what players want.

It’s literally letting people who have been using 2 ship squads continue to do so. It’s adding a few pieces of gear for promotions for the new divisions. If they also cared, they’d also add some more currency in the end event and end of round rewards but I doubt it.

I also know they don’t care because the only one that’s communicated with us has been Crumb and Doja. Where are the Q&As? Quality of life ol updates promised? Updates on gear economy changes? I don’t think for a second CG cares if it doesn’t involve profits

Maybe, just maybe, there is internal discussion on whether they should reconfigure the announced divisions along player sentiment or if they should follow the player sentiment of adding more total divisions or if they should outline the announced plan (they might have some engagement data to justify this).

Even though I’m very much for a change to the announced team placements, I can see why they might not be ready to announce anything, even if they have already decided to follow player sentiment and ensure everyone places the same or more squads+ships.

Also, why would they increase gear rewards?
    I like gear as much as anyone, but I don’t understand why they should increase rewards for any existing divisions. Gear relief comes from new modes, tiers etc. not from bumping existing rewards.

• Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Morgoth01 wrote: »
    I like gear as much as anyone, but I don’t understand why they should increase rewards for any existing divisions. Gear relief comes from new modes, tiers etc. not from bumping existing rewards.
    Players in the top divisions will be placing more squads and fighting more battles. More time and effort should merit more reward.
  • Morgoth01 wrote: »

Maybe, just maybe, there is internal discussion on whether they should reconfigure the announced divisions along player sentiment or if they should follow the player sentiment of adding more total divisions or if they should outline the announced plan (they might have some engagement data to justify this).

Even though I’m very much for a change to the announced team placements, I can see why they might not be ready to announce anything, even if they have already decided to follow player sentiment and ensure everyone places the same or more squads+ships.

More teams, more time, more effort. All should be rewarded.

You’re also missing my main point. Why is there even a discussion at all. Did the big brains at CG really think that players would be happy to set less teams and earn less promotion rewards after being demoted?

The literally just had to create two new divisions and name them as such and structure those while keeping everything else the same. That is literally it. Keep the new thresholds by all means. But the new idea of taking away teams to set and attack with was not even remotely a good idea. Why was it ever an option? It boils down to their ignorance, lack of foresight or both.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Players in the top divisions will be placing more squads and fighting more battles. More time and effort should merit more reward.

Not to mention the current rewards are mostly doo doo.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Although more rewards are always nice, I beg to differ:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234795/gac-rewards#latest
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Rebmes wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »
    I think everyone is in agreement about everyone who had to place 2 fleets should still have to.

It's just that we have no other reason for having all these ships. Take them out of the game if we're not expected to use them anymore.

Agreed, and this is one of the ideas being expressed in the conversation.

The length of time it would take some to get back to them can be quite long for Div 4 and 5.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Not that anyone will convince you otherwise, but they do care. After a number of these things come down the pipeline I'm sure you will still feel this way, which is fine, but it doesnt make it true.

Also, with the addition of Doja, they have been trying harder to be the "only voice", so no one else communicating with us, is very likely to be the new norm.

This announcement is the start of the idea Doja had for the new QA. He is hoping to evolve it as time goes on and this is not 100% how he wanted to open it up, but he didnt want to wait any longer.

I heard QoL is "in the works", but these kinds of things take time and much of the focus has been on Conquest as of late.

None of this shows or means they dont care.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Not that anyone will convince you otherwise, but they do care. After a number of these things come down the pipeline I'm sure you will still feel this way, which is fine, but it doesnt make it true.

Also, with the addition of Doja, they have been trying harder to be the "only voice", so no one else communicating with us, is very likely to be the new norm.

This announcement is the start of the idea Doja had for the new QA. He is hoping to evolve it as time goes on and this is not 100% how he wanted to open it up, but he didnt want to wait any longer.

I heard QoL is "in the works", but these kinds of things take time and much of the focus has been on Conquest as of late.

I guess we need to define “they”...maybe the developers do care and do play the game (the jury is still out on that one) but rather it is the bean counters that don’t play, don’t understand the game, and don’t care. Seriously how much data do you need and player sentiment on the gear crunch? It seems based on this GAC change it definitely looks like a developer would have realized this plan was a mess.
  • Serge
    23 posts Member
    Hi

How will the choice of opponents take place on the new GA? As before - according to the GP of the first 80 units or will the list be expanded to 110 units (3 units for attack and 3 for defense with 5 units each)?

“In the works.” It’s been 2 years since the last QoL update. Used to be annually but they care so much they stopped once Carrie left.

The only ones who are actively listening to the community are you, Doja and Crumb. Especially considering the other devs take a change that we’ve been asking for and somehow make it negative by punishing a big chunk of players. Anyone with common sense could’ve seen that taking away teams and making players use less in GAC was a terrible idea. Them digging in and saying “too bad, we are going through with it anyway” totally shows how much they care lol.

Sorry Kyno, but you, Doja and crumb may care but other devs like TopCash only care about one thing above all else.
  • Starslayer wrote: »

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/234795/gac-rewards#latest

And I beg to differ with you. You’re making the assumption that everyone is capable of getting to Kyber, winning every matchup and completing all feats. So no, I don’t agree with you.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

I think the larger concern, regardless as to whether or not they "care", is that they clearly don't understand.

The question has been asked almost from the beginning - "Do the developers actually even play the game?" - which really just means "Do the developers understand the plight of players - why we play, ask for certain changes, rewards vs. time spent, etc." These types of decisions, even if they are not finalized, seem to imply a fairly large disconnect between what the players experience and how the developers see the game.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

“In the works.” It’s been 2 years since the last QoL update. Used to be annually but they care so much they stopped once Carrie left.

The only ones who are actively listening to the community are you, Doja and Crumb. Especially considering the other devs take a change that we’ve been asking for and somehow make it negative by punishing a big chunk of players. Anyone with common sense could’ve seen that taking away teams and making players use less in GAC was a terrible idea. Them digging in and saying “too bad, we are going through with it anyway” totally shows how much they care lol.

Sorry Kyno, but you, Doja and crumb may care but other devs like TopCash only care about one thing above all else.

I have actually spoken to him on many occasions, and I believe you are wrong, but I dont expect you to change your mind on that.

I know this may sound odd, but the background work they did is just as much of a QoL update as any of the others. It also very likely involved much more investment of time and other re$ources than any previous one.

Did they push the change? No. So I'm not sure where they are "digging in their heals". Doja and I are not the ones who can say "things are changing" so when a message like that is coming out, it's more about us being non committal than the dev team saying they are not going to change things. It's a weird place to be in, but it's the world of being a middle person.

I dont expect to change your mind on any of this, but I believe your perspective to be a little skewed. They all care much more than you think, I can assure you.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Serge wrote: »
    Hi

How will the choice of opponents take place on the new GA? As before - according to the GP of the first 80 units or will the list be expanded to 110 units (3 units for attack and 3 for defense with 5 units each)?

@Serge they will not give any details, other than to say, yes it's being updated with the change.

I have actually spoken to him on many occasions, and I believe you are wrong, but I dont expect you to change your mind on that.

I know this may sound odd, but the background work they did is just as much of a QoL update as any of the others. It also very likely involved much more investment of time and other re$ources than any previous one.

Did they push the change? No. So I'm not sure where they are "digging in their heals". Doja and I are not the ones who can say "things are changing" so when a message like that is coming out, it's more about us being non committal than the dev team saying they are not going to change things. It's a weird place to be in, but it's the world of being a middle person.

I dont expect to change your mind on any of this, but I believe your perspective to be a little skewed. They all care much more than you think, I can assure you.

Uh huh, yeah and if “ifs and buts” were candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas. Plus you just said that while they “hear us” there’s no plans to change their minds on these changes. That they’re still going through with it. How is that not digging in their heels?

The bottom line is that while I know you three care, I don’t believe devs like TopCash do. Like Nikom just said, they sure don’t understand with changes like this. But hey, if you wanna defend them, that’s your choice.
    Starslayer wrote: »

And I beg to differ with you. You’re making the assumption that everyone is capable of getting to Kyber, winning every matchup and completing all feats. So no, I don’t agree with you.

I list what you gain by just putting defenses and what you gain if you win all your matches (feats are not in the picture). It’s a way to compare rewards with other game activities and to be able to judge if engaging the mode for the rewards only is worthy of your time. End of gac rewards are just drops in the bucket. After that, you can obviously judge that it’s not enough, to each his own.

• Starslayer wrote: »
    Starslayer wrote: »

I list what you gain by just putting defenses and what you gain if you win all your matches (feats are not in the picture). It’s a way to compare rewards with other game activities and to be able to judge if engaging the mode for the rewards only is worthy of your time. End of gac rewards are just drops in the bucket. After that, you can obviously judge that it’s not enough, to each his own.

And they are not enough. So that’s where I stand on it. Just like in almost every other mode of the game, the rewards are lackluster
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Uh huh, yeah and if “ifs and buts” were candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas. Plus you just said that while they “hear us” there’s no plans to change their minds on these changes. That they’re still going through with it. How is that not digging in their heels?

The bottom line is that while I know you three care, I don’t believe devs like TopCash do. Like Nikom just said, they sure don’t understand with changes like this. But hey, if you wanna defend them, that’s your choice.

Because they are talking about it, just have no plans, because I cant speak for them, at this time. Again what I say is to make sure I am not committing them to anything, without them saying that. It is the only way I can get the information out there.

I cant say "I spoke to X and they are going to make changes based on feedback", until that is the plan they are going to implement, even if it was true.

Again, I agree I'm not going to change your mind, but you are wrong and I know that for a fact.

I'm not defending anything, I am sharing my direct knowledge of certain aspects of what you are saying.
  • What is that old adage...actions speak louder than words. I sure they tell you a lot of things but do not show us squat.

Because they are talking about it, just have no plans, because I cant speak for them, at this time. Again what I say is to make sure I am not committing them to anything, without them saying that. It is the only way I can get the information out there.

I cant say "I spoke to X and they are going to make changes based on feedback", until that is the plan they are going to implement, even if it was true.

Again, I agree I'm not going to change your mind, but you are wrong and I know that for a fact.

I'm not defending anything, I am sharing my direct knowledge of certain aspects of what you are saying.

“ General sentiment, the feedback is being heard and the conversation is ongoing (no promises), but no changes are planned or being planned at this time.”

Meaning they’re not changing their course of action. There shouldn’t be anything they need to change back or fix in the first place. Get in touch with your player base just as Doja and crumb do. Listen to your community managers so blow ups like this don’t matter. That’s why I say devs like TopCash don’t care and don’t pay attention.
    Yes, 2 ship placements will only be Div 1 and 2.
    Please put 2 ships for all players who had been in the old division 1 and 2. We have farmed up 4 fleets. Don't make that a waste for us.
    nabokovfan wrote: »
    CG_SBCrumb wrote: »
    I've posted an update on the rewards here
    tldr; Promotion rewards are being adjusted as part of this change as well.

Can we get a clarification on which of these is correct?

Method 1: Division 1 and 2 keep same requirements based on GP/Previous requirements. Then added the new squads as mentioned in the post.

tfraupepaguf.png

Or Method 2: Swap GP column and add squads, meaning fleet / teams are revised by division as well as GP changes.

o313vd2bhrqs.png
    Yes, 2 ship placements will only be Div 1 and 2.

This part was confirmed by Crumb, that is why I posted it again after double checking.

Could you please just clarify how many teams do we need in the NEW divisions 10 - 7 (GP from 1M - 3.1)

From what they are saying the chart for method 2 looks correct.

Everything about the divisions stays the same, just the entry GP changes. Pre-change teams needed doesnt change due to this change.

But....why would you make the amount of teams only 6 total for these divisions? That means players who have been focusing on their roster with GAC in mind and have deeper rosters are going to have to drop multiple teams that they have invested time and resources into. Who does this benefit? Why are the mid game players being punished when you can simply keep the number of teams required the same

nk963xpkhdm6.png

Trying to get verification, but yes this is what I believe it will look like. Nothing about the old system changes, except the entry GP (edit to add:) and the additional teams stated in the post.

Div 6 went up one team, and div 5 (the old div 1 cut off) and up need either the same or more teams. No one is using less teams.

Huh? If I currently place 2 ships as I am in division 1, but then drop to division 5, then I will only ace 1 ship.

How is that not using less teams?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

“ General sentiment, the feedback is being heard and the conversation is ongoing (no promises), but no changes are planned or being planned at this time.”

Meaning they’re not changing their course of action. There shouldn’t be anything they need to change back or fix in the first place. Get in touch with your player base just as Doja and crumb do. Listen to your community managers so blow ups like this don’t matter. That’s why I say devs like TopCash don’t care and don’t pay attention.

Mean they are not currently committing to anything, doesnt mean they dont have plans to change things, just that the people speaking right now dont have the authority to commit to that.

I understand why you say that, that doesnt mean its true.
    I think everyone is in agreement about everyone who had to place 2 fleets should still have to.

It's just that we have no other reason for having all these ships. Take them out of the game if we're not expected to use them anymore.

The length of time it would take some to get back to them can be quite long for Div 4 and 5.

I'm glad this particular point is filtering out of this thread. I am hopeful that the related point - people will be setting fewer squads as they are moved to lower divisions - is also being heard.

I think the trouble is around a comment you made, which frames the way in which this is being thought of:

"Div 6 went up one team, and div 5 (the old div 1 cut off) and up need either the same or more teams. No one is using less teams."

The bolded part would be correct if it said "No division is using fewer teams." Instead it says "No one", implying "no person". This game is being played by people, not divisions. The divisions themselves are arbitrary divisions of the playerbase, not a thing that should retain continuity.

If the players in today's divisions 5&6 are now in division 9, they're still the same people. Division 9 is not a thing; the people in the division are a thing. Those people are accustomed to a game experience, and have built up rosters to compete in a world where 5 squads on defense are required. Being in a new arbitrary division with a new name should not come with a change in game experience. If they called the new divisions "Division A" through "Division K", what would the requirements be? Why base requirements on the old divisions of the same name? The old divisions have no relation to the new ones, as they'll all be entirely composed of different people (except new div 1 and old div 11).

It's really too bad...this change is a welcome one, as the top divisions had gotten over-sized. The playerbase would all be excited about this if it weren't for the inexplicable change toward LESS game to play and LESS incentive to build out a roster.

Thank you for helping with the discussion. I see the carp people give you, and you handle it with grace.

Do you know if they are also discussing the total amount of teams needed at lower divisions too? Going from needing 10 teams to 6, in some cases, feels awful.

• arbster
    59 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    wookietown wrote: »
    If the players in today's divisions 5&6 are now in division 9, they're still the same people. Division 9 is not a thing; the people in the division are a thing. Those people are accustomed to a game experience, and have built up rosters to compete in a world where 5 squads on defense are required. Being in a new arbitrary division with a new name should not come with a change in game experience.

Exactly this. I tried to articulate this too, elsewhere, and struggled to do so.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    It would be interesting to know if this overhaul was the best thing they could give us. The community was asking for more divisions added on top of div 1 (the number would've been debatable, maybe 3-4) as it was clearly overpopulated and more defense slots for those new divisions would've been logical. The division structure and the corresponding number of defense slots was fine except for div 1.
    Now we got this overhaul and nearly no one is happy with it except for the very big players that either stay in div 1 or get only pushed back 1 division into div 2. People get pushed back several divisions and will now be forced to set less defenses than before (f.e. have to set 3 squads on defense instead of previously 6), people that have been setting 2 fleet defenses since ages (and actively used that double fleet defense as a strategic element in their defense - many people got a relic 8 GK just for GAC) now can only set 1 fleet defense even when they're in div 3 (6m+ GP!) and promotion rewards didn't seem to be on their radar.

Why couldn't we get the "add X divisions" solution? The usual spaghetti code excuse? The solution we got instead, while it's not a bad thing and still better than nothing for us bigger GP players, doesn't look very well thought out.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg