Crazy odds of a GAC match-up

TheLiz
43 posts Member
edited April 2021
Had to share a funny thing from today. So, my final battle in the last 3v3 was against "Bob" (don't want to say his actual tag).

I go to check my first match-up today for the new 5v5 and it's the same "Bob" from my last battle in 3v3. Needless to say, we're both pretty shocked!

Replies

• Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    TheLiz wrote: »
    Had to share a funny thing from today. So, my final battle in the last 3v3 was against "Bob" (don't want to say his actual tag).

I go to check my first match-up today for the new 5v5 and it's the same "Bob" from my last battle in 3v3. Needless to say, we're both pretty shocked!

What's wrong with a rematch?

I suppose it means both of you have a quite niche roster and GAC MM could only find a limited pool of people to match you up with.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Antario wrote: »

I suppose it means both of you have a quite niche roster and GAC MM could only find a limited pool of people to match you up with.

What is a niche roster?
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    It already happened to me once but within the same GAC.
    I faced someone on the last round of a week and at the start of next week i faced the same player again

And both i lost :s
  • Options

I dont think anyone did. Shocked =/= wrong.
  • Options
    It already happened to me once but within the same GAC.
    I faced someone on the last round of a week and at the start of next week i faced the same player again

And both i lost :s

I think I have fought 10ish rematches.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    CCyrilS wrote: »

What is a niche roster?

A roster which is atypical for the majority of players. For example having 4 GLs but overall below 5m GP. Something used by the MM algorithm but is not common. Like I said, I just suppose. I have no proof the number of GLs is taken into consideration for MM. Consider it just as a example.
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options

What is a niche roster?

A roster which is atypical for the majority of players. For example having 4 GLs but overall below 5m GP. Something used by the MM algorithm but is not common. Like I said, I just suppose. I have no proof the number of GLs is taken into consideration for MM. Consider it just as a example.

That's not how it works.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options

What is a niche roster?

That's not how it works.

its just an example bro
  • CCyrilS
    6732 posts Member
    Options
    Ultra wrote: »

What is a niche roster?

That's not how it works.

its just an example bro

I get it. Like another example is MM put them together because they have similar mods.
  • Options
    He has a niche roster since he's super focused at the top with only 5 mil gp and 2 GL. Mine is a more typical 6.4 with 1 GL.
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options

What is a niche roster?

That's not how it works.

its just an example bro

I get it. Like another example is MM put them together because they have similar mods.

There are many assumptions. But what I know for certain is that the MM algorithm is not as simple as counting 65 or 80 characters' GP and do random mix. You always get matched up with people, who show comparable traits to your own roster (regardless of their GP). That's why I supposed the OP has a unique roster, which is not shared by many others.
  • Ultra
    11502 posts Moderator
    Options
    He has a niche roster since he's super focused at the top with only 5 mil gp and 2 GL. Mine is a more typical 6.4 with 1 GL.

How do you know 6.4 GP with 1 GL is typical

I expect 2-3 GLs at that GP range tbh
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options

It's very typical in my matchups lol.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TheLiz
    43 posts Member
    Options

I expect 2-3 GLs at that GP range tbh

Sorry, I forgot you have Ultra knowledge.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Options

What is a niche roster?

That's not how it works.

its just an example bro

There are many assumptions. But what I know for certain is that the MM algorithm is not as simple as counting 65 or 80 characters' GP and do random mix. You always get matched up with people, who show comparable traits to your own roster (regardless of their GP). That's why I supposed the OP has a unique roster, which is not shared by many others.
    Wrong. I encounter a wide variety of opponents and I invest a good deal of time analyzing their rosters to find weaknesses I can exploit to beat them.
  • Options
    I was matched 2 or even 3 times against a couple of people. 6.8m GP and 3 GLs ... certainly not an uncommon roster
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    Options
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

What is a niche roster?

That's not how it works.

its just an example bro

Wrong. I encounter a wide variety of opponents and I invest a good deal of time analyzing their rosters to find weaknesses I can exploit to beat them.

I'm not sure what's wrong with my statement based on your answer.

Does the "wide variety" also include for example matchups between players with 4 GLs and players with no GL? Certainly not. But if the algorithm is simply GP based, it could well happen.
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Be great to know exactly how the do the matching (top X toons only? is X always = slots needed for def + off?) but doubt they'd take GLs into consideration. I have a fairly broad roster, no GLs, and there's usually 2 or 3 in my groups with a single GL. Haven't seen any with 2+ GLs yet, but just the pre-req relic toons would add a heap of GP to their lists for that, so I assume I'm not likely to see many.
    Don't recall many rematches though, but hard to remember, and only a brief history online.
    Did you both use similar teams on defence in the rematch? Or change tactics?