Gear Crunch

Dear CG,

Thanks for the double shard drops for GL Rey and Kylo but honestly that isn't going to help anyone gain them any quicker as there's this tiny thing that's holding back pretty much everyone's rosters, beside super whales and Krakens of course, and that's gear.

I have all the shards for GL Rey, I have all the shards for Beskar Mando, I nearly have all the shards for Sith Eternal Emperor and JKL, but what I don't have is the gear to meet all of the requirements. It'll take months if not another year just to farm all the gear for some of those characters.

You've said in the not so distant past that you would address the gear crunch and since then we've heard pretty much nothing.

All the new 'content' that has been added since that time really has done little to address the gear crunch issue.

You are fully aware of the bottlenecks that hold players back and I'm sure you know that it's a huge barrier in preventing players from getting GL characters. So if you keep adding more GL toons all you are actually doing is just adding to the frustration of those of us who can't gear up their squads fast enough because of the bottlenecks you refuse to do anything about.

But again, thanks for the double shard drops. How about you also do something about the gear crunch too?

Replies

• LordDirt
    4987 posts Member
    No one is ever happy
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • Bro there is your own problem, if you got shard ready for 3 GL but no gear, it means u gotta get 1 GL don't waste energy on shards and farm gear, then go for the next GL, you don't just go get very one to 7 star and not farm the gear before u move on to the next thing
  • Bro there is your own problem, if you got shard ready for 3 GL but no gear, it means u gotta get 1 GL don't waste energy on shards and farm gear, then go for the next GL, you don't just go get very one to 7 star and not farm the gear before u move on to the next thing

Yup, totally agree. Gotta stay focused.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    LordDirt wrote: »
    No one is ever happy

3evm3hac37d3.gif
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    No one is ever happy

Happiness is a myth
  • I didn't think you needed the Bando crew geared up to high to get him. Hell the first 2 or 3 tiers I did with G12 Mando and G1/Level 1.
  • EdSolo
    411 posts Member
    Gear is a huge problem in the never ending creep in requirements. Just look at GL Kenobi requiring at least one R8 toon. I have been farming JML and SEE pretty much in tandem with more of a concentration on JML. I am finally down to one last toon to relic. I have long been done farming toons to 7* for either. I can bet I will have GL Kenobi toons all at 7* long before I have either gear or relics done for them. Stun guns are still painful to farm. Kyros really didn't help much because they are just another thing to farm. In some ways, they make it worse since you can only farm tickets on either light side or dark side and thus can only farm one Kyro piece at a time or sacrifice gaining tickets.
  • Ultra
    11491 posts Moderator
    if there was no gear crunch, and no shard crunch, then where's the effort in getting a toon?

I like the current gear crunch tbh - its how players have a diverse rosters by making important resource related decisions
  • Are you kidding? I saw a $20 USD pack the other day that had 15 stun gun salvage in it! I need 3 more stun guns to unlock Malak. That's only $200. I can get that from stealing 1 catalytic converter...
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    If you have the character shards for 2-3 sets of GL prerequisites but not enough gear for even one set then you are doing it all wrong.
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    Doubt they will want to assist with the gear crunch - that stops everyone reaching end game too soon, and provides a big income source from people losing patience and buying gear.
    Sadly the game doesn't reward you for collecting a broad range of toons, but rather demands a more focused priority (if you want to be competitive at all, and you need to if you want to get more gear!).
    You either collect all the toons you want, and accept you'll have a less effective roster (looking at you mandalorians!!), or you have strict farming and gearing focus.
    Remember it's a game, so do what is more fun for you.
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited April 2021
    Are you kidding? I saw a $20 USD pack the other day that had 15 stun gun salvage in it! I need 3 more stun guns to unlock Malak. That's only $200. I can get that from stealing 1 catalytic converter...

Pay your way out of the crunch or just hoard for years. Thats just the way it is. That being said 90% off the current prices would be good but being a Star Wars game they have to pay for licensing
  • Antario
    996 posts Member
    I see a pattern in the way people complain stuff.

Shard Crunch --> Gear Crunch --> Mod Crunch -> Game mode Crunch

• Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    If you have the character shards for 2-3 sets of GL prerequisites but not enough gear for even one set then you are doing it all wrong.

Except you need far more gear than shards which have varying farm locations and drop rates
  • Ultra wrote: »
    if there was no gear crunch, and no shard crunch, then where's the effort in getting a toon?

I like the current gear crunch tbh - its how players have a diverse rosters by making important resource related decisions

Yeah those day 1 gear crunch chokepoints are so fun lmao
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »

I love them because they separate the better players from the average players.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • It should take 2 weeks to get stun guns or cuffs or other purple gear you need per gear level, 3-4 weeks for gold / kyros. Although I feel like I get kyros WAY faster these days.
  • TVF wrote: »

Power creep says hello
  • TVF
    36578 posts Member
    TVF wrote: »

Power creep says hello

Power creep is also great!
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Except you need far more gear than shards which have varying farm locations and drop rates
    Except the second and third sets of GL prerequisites aren't helping if you can't gear them so you are better off using some or all of that energy to farm gear salvage rather than character shards.

If you want to get anywhere in this game then you have to use energy to farm gear.
  • I'm certain CG has hear our gear crunch complains. We all hope that's in their next plans, but it is only a game so don't whine about it unless it's your job.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    More shards won’t help anyone bc op has them already?

K
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Ultra wrote: »

I don’t disagree, but it’s a strictly linear progression curve, that is unnoticeable for players that have been in the game a long time. A new player will have to catch up to five years of linear progress, which will theoretically take them five years as well (deduct some time due to additional sources of gear, however new players won’t reap max rewards). That doesn’t feel too good, considering there are far more toons now than there used to be, and so many «mandatory» ones.

I don’t think it would be too radical to halve the gear requirements up to g12 for toons that are more than two years old. No change for g13.
    That way we can still make relevant decisions for the newer meta squads, while also easing on the intro level characters for new players, or older players picking up an old squad they have neglected.
  • Antario wrote: »
    I see a pattern in the way people complain stuff.

Shard Crunch --> Gear Crunch --> Mod Crunch -> Game mode Crunch

Poor Kyno.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Except the second and third sets of GL prerequisites aren't helping if you can't gear them so you are better off using some or all of that energy to farm gear salvage rather than character shards.

If you want to get anywhere in this game then you have to use energy to farm gear.

Except at some point you need to farm the shards. CG tackled that problem and presented a fair solution to the shard crunch with accelerated rates after a year.

We’ve still yet to see any meaningful relief of day 1 gear issues. Why is it that taking a single
    Character beyond G8 costs kyro’s, stun guns, carbs and other high demand gear still 5 years into this games lifespan. You mean to tell me they can’t make it easier to get to G11/12 and let the G12/G12+/Finishers and Relic mats be the bigger crunch? Lol k.