Why is Beskar Mando so.....bad?

Prev1
Ravens1113
3331 posts Member
edited May 2
He has his rare niches but overall for a journey character he’s just really bad. Why? Other journey characters have been so much better. Why not him too?

Replies

  • Kyno
    29281 posts Moderator
    As I said in the other thread about the Mando faction, I think its intentional (not him being bad, because I dont really think he is). There are long term plans that involve Mando (the faction and the character). Unfortunately he just doesnt have the backup/leader/support or whatever is going to be added to round out that team/faction.
  • Regardless of how bad you think he is, have you read his ship's abilities?

    Also, requirements for BAM are pretty low. On par with cls unlock
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    Regardless of how bad you think he is, have you read his ship's abilities?

    Also, requirements for BAM are pretty low. On par with cls unlock

    And look at how good CLS is compared to BMando. He’s nowhere near as good as that
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread about the Mando faction, I think its intentional (not him being bad, because I dont really think he is). There are long term plans that involve Mando (the faction and the character). Unfortunately he just doesnt have the backup/leader/support or whatever is going to be added to round out that team/faction.

    It’s not the mando faction itself but BMando I’m referring to. Sure the faction will be revisited during book of Boba or Season 3 of Mando, but currently for a journey hero character it’s really really really bad. Why? I’m not talking about character investments and what not, but his overall use compared to other journey characters. He’s easily the worst
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Regardless of how bad you think he is, have you read his ship's abilities?

    Also, requirements for BAM are pretty low. On par with cls unlock

    And look at how good CLS is compared to BMando. He’s nowhere near as good as that

    Yeah, CLS's ship is much better than BAM's. That was my point.

    In terms of lore though, CLS should wipe the floor with BAM. I know this game is horrible at matching kit value to lore, but Mando's primary skill is a blaster, which CLS was pretty good at saber blocking.

    And now that I think of it, you make me think of that as a major shortcoming in this game: Jedi don't have any blaster saber-block ability. They have dodge and evade, but saber blocking was unique to them. Adding that ability to Jedi could very well make them not needing reworks if the % block was high enough
  • Gifafi
    5445 posts Member
    CLS has a ship now?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    CLS has a ship now?

    That was the point.
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    CLS has a ship now?

    That was the point.

    That doesn’t mean that BMando as a toon himself shouldn’t be better. As a journey character he is grossly underwhelming. There’s no reason for him not to be better than he is
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    CLS has a ship now?

    That was the point.

    There’s no reason for him not to be better than he is

    Just because you don't know the reason does not mean it doesn't exist. Most conflict on the planet occurs with bystanders not understanding and/or knowing why. It is quite frustrating.
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    CLS has a ship now?

    That was the point.

    There’s no reason for him not to be better than he is

    Just because you don't know the reason does not mean it doesn't exist. Most conflict on the planet occurs with bystanders not understanding and/or knowing why. It is quite frustrating.

    Let’s keep it related to the game dude. BMando is a journey character. He is not currently producing even close to the other journey characters we have in the game. That’s not right
  • TargetEadu
    294 posts Member
    Does anyone even have the Crest yet?
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    Lots will at the end of this conquest

    Idk about LOTS, depending on what you mean by that but people that are clearing hard mode and buying all his shards should definitely have it unlocked. If I hit max rewards (well not if but when) I’ll have it ready to go
  • DarjeloSalas
    5604 posts Member
    I’d predict at least 8,000 unlocks. Could be much more than that.
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    I’d predict at least 8,000 unlocks. Could be much more than that.

    Same here. It’s gonna boil down to who bought the extra shards. Those extra 5 tomorrow are gonna save me 500 tickets cause I wanna stock up as much as possible for CAT
  • Zanir
    134 posts Member
    "CLS is so much better"

    CLS by himself is a great leader and strong attacker but needs 4 other toons to make his meta squad. 1 of those is a raid reward (easy raid but still, you gotta wait X months), 1 is a recent marquee still on single shard drops atm, 2 are legendaries with famously difficult unlock events. CLS unlock requires 3 old, meh toons.

    Bando has a ship. By himself has an ability that OHKs GG or Padme. His journey toons are 2 BHs who are part of the best BH squad, 1 good rebel and 2 scoundrels who themselves form part of Bando's squad.

    Bando, Kuill, IG11, Vandor and vet Han are a proven great LS Geo squad.

    Yes, Bando is horrendously gear-hungry. Yes, his best team comp isn't as good as the best CLS team. But calling him outright a bad toon is frankly baffling to me.

    It seems Ahnald called him bad because he was able to get him day 1, toon wasn't as much of a killing machine as the CLS squad, so Ahnald called him bad and we've been hearing this ever since.
  • Ravens1113
    3331 posts Member
    Zanir wrote: »
    "CLS is so much better"

    CLS by himself is a great leader and strong attacker but needs 4 other toons to make his meta squad. 1 of those is a raid reward (easy raid but still, you gotta wait X months), 1 is a recent marquee still on single shard drops atm, 2 are legendaries with famously difficult unlock events. CLS unlock requires 3 old, meh toons.

    Bando has a ship. By himself has an ability that OHKs GG or Padme. His journey toons are 2 BHs who are part of the best BH squad, 1 good rebel and 2 scoundrels who themselves form part of Bando's squad.

    Bando, Kuill, IG11, Vandor and vet Han are a proven great LS Geo squad.

    Yes, Bando is horrendously gear-hungry. Yes, his best team comp isn't as good as the best CLS team. But calling him outright a bad toon is frankly baffling to me.

    It seems Ahnald called him bad because he was able to get him day 1, toon wasn't as much of a killing machine as the CLS squad, so Ahnald called him bad and we've been hearing this ever since.

    so let’s go.....

    Ok so CLS by himself is a great toon. His current best team can counter several meta teams in the game currently, can clean up GL’s and based on mods can even best SLKR lineups. BMando can’t do that.

    BMando requires two single shard marquee toons. He also requires Mando, Greef and Cara, all only made recently double shard drops. His best team as you said can take out GG and depending on the RNG, padme. Padme is not a sure fire win and there are several other more reliable counters to her.

    As you say, the gear requirements to get BMando to relic level, is insane by comparison with CLS.

    Also, at this stage in the game, the 3PO event and Chewy event are nothing. G11 ewoks and g10/11 BH can beat it respectively especially with the availability of the top toons for those teams being widely available now.

    BMando is the worst journey character in the game. Easily. Arguing otherwise is just foolish
  • Zanir
    134 posts Member
    So he's worse than the rest of the Journeys, but does that mean he's bad?
  • Sebek
    1811 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Zanir wrote: »
    "CLS is so much better"

    CLS by himself is a great leader and strong attacker but needs 4 other toons to make his meta squad. 1 of those is a raid reward (easy raid but still, you gotta wait X months), 1 is a recent marquee still on single shard drops atm, 2 are legendaries with famously difficult unlock events. CLS unlock requires 3 old, meh toons.

    Bando has a ship. By himself has an ability that OHKs GG or Padme. His journey toons are 2 BHs who are part of the best BH squad, 1 good rebel and 2 scoundrels who themselves form part of Bando's squad.

    Bando, Kuill, IG11, Vandor and vet Han are a proven great LS Geo squad.

    Yes, Bando is horrendously gear-hungry. Yes, his best team comp isn't as good as the best CLS team. But calling him outright a bad toon is frankly baffling to me.

    It seems Ahnald called him bad because he was able to get him day 1, toon wasn't as much of a killing machine as the CLS squad, so Ahnald called him bad and we've been hearing this ever since.

    so let’s go.....

    Ok so CLS by himself is a great toon. His current best team can counter several meta teams in the game currently, can clean up GL’s and based on mods can even best SLKR lineups. BMando can’t do that.

    BMando requires two single shard marquee toons. He also requires Mando, Greef and Cara, all only made recently double shard drops. His best team as you said can take out GG and depending on the RNG, padme. Padme is not a sure fire win and there are several other more reliable counters to her.

    As you say, the gear requirements to get BMando to relic level, is insane by comparison with CLS.

    Also, at this stage in the game, the 3PO event and Chewy event are nothing. G11 ewoks and g10/11 BH can beat it respectively especially with the availability of the top toons for those teams being widely available now.

    BMando is the worst journey character in the game. Easily. Arguing otherwise is just foolish

    CLS would be on par with him without Chewie, 3-po and han
    Join the Dark Side, We Have Cookies.
    Join the Light Side, We Have Wookies.
  • BioHazard
    123 posts Member
    I think he struggles, but I am ok with it. And I would like to point something out that was made clear by our community managers: BMando is a Hero’s Journey character, not just a Journey character. Journey would include both Revans and JKL, and none of the Hero’s Journey characters are as good as they are.

    CLS was mentioned, but if you look at the best CLS team, you have 3PO, Chewbacca, Han, and 3PO + Chewie. If you take Chewbacca and C3PO away, that team’s viability tanks. CLS is mostly supported by his supporting cast (he can still hold his own pretty well), but unfortunately, 2 of these characters (Han and Chewbacca) are needed for the best BMando team.

    To start with why BMando struggles, look at his kit and stats: his offence is ok, but in order to make the most of his disciplined setup (which indeed requires discipline as the name suggests), he needs to be fast to setup ahead of his team, and he is slower than most characters you can put him with. So when modding, you are sacrificing offence boosts for speed. Then, with using disciplined setup, in order to max out his stacks of whistling birds, heat heads to be with a team that hits multiple times, or uses lots of AoEs. He is very dependent on his supporting cast to really shine and having a full supporting cast; I don’t know why people use him in 3v3 GA even knowing this. There are other teams to use that are much smarter and safer to use.

    Then, look at his supporting cast. Neither BMando, Kuill or IG11 have a buff dispel, which every other top end team has and needs, or can brute force their way through the enemy team such that buffs are irrelevant because the characters that would be buffed are dead. The best scoundrel buff dispeller is Chewbacca and he is central to a CLS team. The other buff dispellers are nowhere near as good a character as Chewbacca. The only reason why you would use Chewbacca with BMando is if 3PO isn’t available for a CLS team. Maybe he is used with Padme, or maybe, the person using BMando is a mid game player who doesn’t have good Ewoks to unlock 3PO yet.

    I will reiterate: I think his PvP viability leaves some to be desired, but that is because I am not using him at his best: I am using some of the best usable characters with CLS instead. But this doesn’t mean I am not enjoying him, in fact, I love using him in conquest. I use a couple of the disc that increases offence when an enemy drops below 100% health, then I combine it with the threshold repeater disk and I can delete an entire team. Apart from that, I use other parts of my roster for other game modes.
  • LordDirt
    2107 posts Member
    image0.jpg
  • BAM is one of my best defensive teams in 5v5 GAC (7.3 million gp, 4 gls for reference). Sometimes gets holds, often strips 5-8 banners. Won me today's match. Not unbeatable, clearly not as good as a GL, but still very good.

    In 3v3 its a very good 54 banner team on offense.

    I've no complaints based on BAM being a journey character. Maybe the gear requirements are absurd (they are), but BAM is a useful piece for your roster.
  • khdelboy
    627 posts Member
    BAM seems to be lacking the good Mando toons to make good use of him so I think there will more added in the later stage of development plans?
  • Saada
    562 posts Member
    khdelboy wrote: »
    BAM seems to be lacking the good Mando toons to make good use of him so I think there will more added in the later stage of development plans?

    Boy I hope so
  • TargetEadu
    294 posts Member
    Problem is, what other good Mando toons are there? We could get some generics (like the Mando Heavy Gunner from S1E2), but the only others I can think of would be Pre Visla or CW Saxon. (Or Maul, to be a bit odd.)
  • BioHazard
    123 posts Member
    Maybe the Wren family, Axe Wolves and Koska Reeves?
  • LordDirt
    2107 posts Member
    Satine could be added. Would be a perfect person to add for JMK.
  • Phoenixeon
    1385 posts Member
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Gifafi wrote: »
    CLS has a ship now?

    That was the point.

    There’s no reason for him not to be better than he is

    Just because you don't know the reason does not mean it doesn't exist. Most conflict on the planet occurs with bystanders not understanding and/or knowing why. It is quite frustrating.

    Let’s keep it related to the game dude. BMando is a journey character. He is not currently producing even close to the other journey characters we have in the game. That’s not right

    Because CG keep updating rebels with some really nice char, such as chewie, 3po, chew3po.

    What we scoundrels gets?
  • Ravens1113 wrote: »
    Zanir wrote: »
    "CLS is so much better"

    CLS by himself is a great leader and strong attacker but needs 4 other toons to make his meta squad. 1 of those is a raid reward (easy raid but still, you gotta wait X months), 1 is a recent marquee still on single shard drops atm, 2 are legendaries with famously difficult unlock events. CLS unlock requires 3 old, meh toons.

    Bando has a ship. By himself has an ability that OHKs GG or Padme. His journey toons are 2 BHs who are part of the best BH squad, 1 good rebel and 2 scoundrels who themselves form part of Bando's squad.

    Bando, Kuill, IG11, Vandor and vet Han are a proven great LS Geo squad.

    Yes, Bando is horrendously gear-hungry. Yes, his best team comp isn't as good as the best CLS team. But calling him outright a bad toon is frankly baffling to me.

    It seems Ahnald called him bad because he was able to get him day 1, toon wasn't as much of a killing machine as the CLS squad, so Ahnald called him bad and we've been hearing this ever since.

    so let’s go.....

    Ok so CLS by himself is a great toon. His current best team can counter several meta teams in the game currently, can clean up GL’s and based on mods can even best SLKR lineups. BMando can’t do that.

    BMando requires two single shard marquee toons. He also requires Mando, Greef and Cara, all only made recently double shard drops. His best team as you said can take out GG and depending on the RNG, padme. Padme is not a sure fire win and there are several other more reliable counters to her.

    As you say, the gear requirements to get BMando to relic level, is insane by comparison with CLS.

    Also, at this stage in the game, the 3PO event and Chewy event are nothing. G11 ewoks and g10/11 BH can beat it respectively especially with the availability of the top toons for those teams being widely available now.

    BMando is the worst journey character in the game. Easily. Arguing otherwise is just foolish

    I am not so sure he is the worst journey in the game. I mean with team comps sure his is the least in terms of whole team performance.
    But a few things, keep in mind the lore of Star Wars and the comparison to say other journey characters. CLS becomes one of the greatest jedi to live in history. JKR and DR are fabled Jedi and Sith respectively. Mando is just a regular old Bounty Hunter making his way through the galaxy. Even Rey becomes another amazing Jedi that goes down in history. So in terms of lore equivalence to the game, the characters are right where they should be.
    Furthermore, each of these other journey/legendary characters generally need another legendary character to do the thing like countering GLs. And considering how scoundrels do not really have another top tier legendary that you don't throw with CLS, then you begin to see why BMando doesn't perform as well as a character like CLS. In terms of standalone viability, BMando has a fair amount of standalone viability. Sure he might not do so well against per say Drevan. But the lore behind it would make sense that he would not beat a feared Lord of the Sith.
    So in conclusion, while Bando might seem to under perform when being compared to these other characters, understand that the other journey/legendary characters really perform well when they have more legendary characters to go along with them. Meanwhile, we do not have spare legendaries that can really elevate the team more. While indeed IG-11 and Kuil do have a strong synergy with Bando and can alleviate some of the "badness of the character", the Bando team just needs one more component that can really fully flesh out the team to new heights. And let me say this, yes he is the worst for team comps as of right now. But he is not a bad character. His teams really needs an extra component.
Sign In or Register to comment.